View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #76
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
April 28, 1996

Chicago coach Waterman calls Boston's Endrizzi "dirty"

CHICAGO - Dave Waterman, the head coach of the Chicago Legends, was livid on Saturday after his team's 28-24 loss to the Boston Beacons at Soldier Field. Although disappointed with his own team, in the post-game press conference the 50-year-old Australian was mostly angry with the play of an opposing player, Boston fullback Simone Endrizzi.

"He is a dirty player," Waterman said of the 41-year-old Italian. "Rugby is a gentleman's game, and he doesn't play like a gentleman. You see him tackling too high, throwing elbows, and you should see what he does in the ruck at times.

"Endrizzi was a great player," Waterman continued. "I've played and coached against him in Europe in the past, and I had a lot of respect for him. But, you know, he no longer has the physical skills to compete, so, uh, he resorts to these tactics.

"I'm not saying that the officials have done a bad job, but they need to keep an eye on this guy. My players could have been injured because of him."

Endrizzi was not available for comment, but teammate, fly half Durante Zetticci, said that Waterman "was just upset that his team lost. They played badly. Don't blame it on Endrizzi."