View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #459
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

GRPA State Championships – 7/26 @ Cumming Aquatic Center

The Summer League State Meet is this Saturday at our home pool (thank goodness we don’t have to stay in a hotel again this weekend). Last year when I did the write up for this event, I was deceived by some data (or lack thereof) in the psych sheet…so when I write this up, keep in mind that the meet info might still be incomplete and the seedings or relay seed times might change significantly (especially in the case of the relay times, as they seem to be hit or miss with regards to accuracy).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bailey

#39 Girls 12&U 200 Medley Relay Prelims (3) 2:08.06 – Bailey gets the fly leg in the B Relay…currently the relay team is seeded 5 th but they are a good 5 seconds from 4 th, meaning it is unlikely that they get on the podium. On the positive side they are over 4.5 seconds faster than the 9 th place seed, thus they are almost assured of getting into the finals and earning a medal. Assuming the seed times are accurate…which may be a big assumption.

#57 Girls 11-12 100 IM Prelims 1:10.75 – Bailey’s time currently has her seeded 7 th. And she’s about 2 seconds faster than 9 th. Given that she’s been swimming around a 1:10.7x all Summer in this event, I suspect she’ll be around that again on Saturday and it will be good enough to make finals and earn a medal.

#69 Girls 11-12 50 Fly Prelims 30.24 – Bailey is seeded fourth in this one…9 th is just over a second slower, but as we saw at the Long Course state meet, a bad swim can drop a swimmer a long way in these sprints. I do think she’ll make finals, and I do believe she might be able to go sub 30 to get on the podium, but in my opinion it will take a sub 30 swim to get there.

#75 Girls 12&U 200 Free Relay Prelims (1) 1:57.51 – This is the interesting one…Bailey was extremely disappointed to be on the C Free Relay, but currently they are seeded 6 th. I’m not comfortable with this seed, as I expected they would be around 9 th or 10 th, and I suspect if I put too much weight into this seed that I’m going to be in for a rude awakening when the races actually run.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bear

#40 Boys 12&U 200 Medley Relay Prelims (1) 2:14.98 – Bear’s C Medley is currently seeded 8 th…way behind 7 th (which incidentally is the Forsyth B team), and way in front of 9 th. Again, the same gut feeling that has me concerned about Bailey’s Free applies here. I believe Brett’s relay’s last year were seeded second or third, and they were lucky to get sixth…so just not comfortable making predictions, especially with the C relays.

#64 Boys 11-12 50 Back Prelims 34.58 – Bear comes in as the third backstroker from the county, he’s also seeded 9 th overall…He’s only .1 out of a top 8 time, and he had problems with the finish at county due to the change from the Long Course to Short Course pools. He might be able to slip into the finals here and earn a medal. After all the years of slipping in the back at county and missing out on this event in this meet, it would be rewarding to see him make it into the finals.

#76 Boys 12&U 200 Free Relay Prelims (3) 1:54.29 – The B Free that Bear is on, is seeded 6 th…a full 4 seconds from 5 th, and a good 8 seconds from ninth. Knowing Bear’s luck, both of his relays will get DQed, I believe it has happened to him three times at this meet already.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brett

#42 Boys 14&U 200 Medley Relay Prelims (2) 2:06.41 - Brett like Bear is in the C Relay…and I expected them to come in seeded 12 or 13…they in fact are seeded 8, with a bunch of teams right on their heels. If the seeds are accurate, they’ll need 4 good swims to get into the finals…but as I’ve stated above, I don’t expect the seeds are right and I think they’ll finish around 12 th.

#54 Boys 13-14 50 Breast Prelims 36.60 – Brett was the third breaststroker from county, and surprisingly, he’s seeded 12 th. I expected he’d be much lower…however, to move up, he’d need to drop about a second or get help from others in front of him not swimming well. I don’t expect either to occur, but Brett is working on a new breaststroke so who knows (I’ll detail this in another thread shortly)…

#78 Boys 14&U 200 Free Relay Prelims (5) 1:48.98 – You notice the (5) at the end of the event. That signifies that Brett is the first alternate for all of the free relays. I don’t expect he’ll get to swim…
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote