Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2024, 11:42 AM   #6501
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
OR

Specifically in this case, everyone can see the teenagers openly carrying the BB guns while walking into the sporting goods store that sells BB guns and NOT think that they are going to rob the store that sells BB guns based solely on them openly carrying a BB gun.

Is that scary? Yes.

Are there going to be cases where people are wrong and places are robbed by people with BB guns or bullet guns that look like BB guns? Absolutely!

But once we have made the call as a society that BB guns that look like real bullet guns can exist and in a more general sense that people outside of law enforcement can openly carry BB guns and real bullet guns legally, we can no longer jump to the assumptions of the people openly carrying these weapons automatically have criminal intentions. If we all get to openly carrying guns, we probably need to all get comfortable with a society where we all get to openly carry guns and BB guns that look like real life guns.

lol no one thinks of a bb gun as an actual thing outside the 1950s well...and gun fetishers making dumb arguments.

everyone sees a gun and thinks "shit! he's gonna shoot the place" especially a group of teens.

in fact I'm not sure at all they weren't going to try something. but that doesn't at all matter.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 11:43 AM   #6502
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If I can carry guns openly almost anywhere and you can shoot me if you find me to be a threat, that causes a lot of problems.
Old 06-14-2024, 12:28 PM   #6503
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I like that the argument really is that certain, maybe we'll cay certain colors of, people shouldn't be able to carry guns and they're no longer afraid to say it out loud.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:31 PM   #6504
Atocep
Coordinator

That particular incident happened in a parking lot we go to fairly often. There's a Japanese grocery store my wife really likes there.

It's a large parking lot that's always full. You had countless other people in that parking lot that would have seen these teens and didn't see it as a threat. The only person that did see it as a threat was the guy sitting in his car, trying to be a vigilante, and looking for threats. Then once he confronted what he deemed to be a threat, was told it was a bb gun, and it was tossed to the ground, he still chose to open fire.

With the way our laws work the kids did nothing wrong while the guy that fired his weapon was actively looking for someone to shoot. I can't go around town pretending to be batman with a gun and kill someone legally carrying a weapon. That's murder.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:59 PM   #6505
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I like that the argument really is that certain, maybe we'll cay certain colors of, people shouldn't be able to carry guns and they're no longer afraid to say it out loud.

Totally. "Guns are awesome, but if I see someone with a gun I'm going to shoot them, because who walks around with guns unless they're up to no good, am I right?"
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 01:24 PM   #6506
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
lol no one thinks of a bb gun as an actual thing outside the 1950s well...and gun fetishers making dumb arguments.

everyone sees a gun and thinks "shit! he's gonna shoot the place" especially a group of teens.

in fact I'm not sure at all they weren't going to try something. but that doesn't at all matter.

And yet outside of California, Connecticut, Illinois, DC and shockingly Florida, people in every other state are legally permitted to openly carry some sort of firearm. Seems kind of weird to put ourselves in a constant state of "shit! he's gonna shoot the place." worry by making it easier to openly carry as opposed to keeping them concealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If I can carry guns openly almost anywhere and you can shoot me if you find me to be a threat, that causes a lot of problems.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Don't forget being told that if you don't want to be seen as a threat you should conceal YOUR weapon.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 01:47 PM   #6507
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And a lot of us are tired of the absurdity you just proposed.

Whatever, you enjoy being tired of the absurdities I propose.

Quote:
And we're better armed

Given the gun laws in this country and my complete lack of felonies, this situation is easily rectified. If I have to buy guns in order to take yours away, well, the ends justify the means.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:25 PM   #6508
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Just ban guns, all guns, even airsoft. This fetish for firearms in this country is completely fucking out of hand.

Any crime committed while in possession of a firearm gets a 10-year prison term before any other sentencing.

Want to hunt? Check your weapons out of an armory and wear a blaze-orange permit on the back of your hat or the upper back of your jacket.

I'm tired of this shit.

Your 1st paragraph seemingly contradicts your 3rd where you allow use of guns for hunting. Or in the 3rd, do you mean hunters will have to "rent" guns for use?

Just asking for clarification - what is your position on gun ownership?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:31 PM   #6509
Edward64
Head Coach

I googled on "big 5 airsoft sale" for pics. Yeah, most have the red thingy cap on them.

Airsoft Guns & Paintball Guns | Big 5 Sporting Goods

(But the Umarex T4E TB Semi Auto .68 Caliber Shotgun looks real enough. I thought all toy guns needed some sort of red thingy thing).

There's a video somewhere (hopefully with some audio). I'd like to see it. But based on what I've read so far, I hope they toss the book at this guy.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-14-2024 at 06:32 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote