Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2024, 08:03 PM   #201
PilotMan
Head Coach

There won't be anything to impeach for because there's nothing to investigate.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 08:23 PM   #202
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

?? what?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 11:18 PM   #203
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sorry, tense.....there would never be an impeachment because there would never be anything that could be investigated, because it's all under the scope of the immunity. I didn't think it was that difficult in all honesty.

Sure, I suppose that congress could still walk through the motions, but there are so many exit ramps for a president to get off, that his partisans could simply talk it away and it wouldn't go anywhere. Imagine just how far it would have to get now for a successful impeachment?

Like Steam?

Old 07-08-2024, 11:49 PM   #204
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think we're clearly understanding the distinction differently.

The immunity covers legal prosecution, it doesn't cover impeachment - again, unless there's something I don't understand. But those are two entirely different things. You don't have to be prosecuted for something to be impeached for it, and vice-versa.

That means none of the impeachment process is under the scope of the immunity. Congress can still investigate as much as it wants, censure, impeach, whatever. Prosecution after a government official is removed from office is just an entirely different thing.
Old 07-09-2024, 06:27 AM   #205
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think we're clearly understanding the distinction differently.

The immunity covers legal prosecution, it doesn't cover impeachment - again, unless there's something I don't understand. But those are two entirely different things. You don't have to be prosecuted for something to be impeached for it, and vice-versa.

That means none of the impeachment process is under the scope of the immunity. Congress can still investigate as much as it wants, censure, impeach, whatever. Prosecution after a government official is removed from office is just an entirely different thing.

Where the two are very different, where they come together is the investigation. Most impeachment evidence generally comes from a Special Prosecutor that is selected by the Attorney General. They generally compel testimony under oath through Grand Juries. This is what I was questioning. Now that the President is immune from criminal prosecution, then will the courts even allow Grand Juries on Presidential actions? What information from the President are they going to allow put into evidence?

Impeachment is the purview of the Congress, but most of the investigation is the purview of the Justice department and the Courts. The question is if that is true now, and if it is how?
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 02:21 PM   #206
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Big decision out of my state of Ohio

Chicken wings advertised as 'boneless' can have bones, Ohio Supreme Court decides | AP News

They got this one wrong. IF A WING HAS BONES THEN IT IS NOT A BONELESS WING.

Also just be a man and order the wings bone-in.

People who eat boneless wings should be thrown in a pit with people like their steak well done and then buried alive.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:29 PM   #207
GrantDawg

To me, boneless wings just don't taste as good.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2024, 02:45 PM   #208
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere
People who eat boneless wings should be thrown in a pit with people like their steak well done and then buried alive.

Subtle.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:52 PM   #209
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Boneless wings are nuggets. Just get nuggets.

Nothing wrong with nuggets, though. I certainly wouldn't condemn nugget-eaters to the same circle of hell as steak-well-doners.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 03:11 PM   #210
Atocep
Coordinator

Bone in wings are vastly superior but there are times when I'm not dealing with the mess that comes with eating them.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 04:02 PM   #211
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

He really said that a patron at the restaurant reading “boneless wings” would no more expect to be eating boneless chicken than a patron eating chicken fingers would be expecting to eat actual fingers.

A lot to unpack there. Wonder how much of a kickback these guys got? I mean if I order wings and you ask me bone in or boneless I expect there to be a difference between the two and it isn’t the sauce.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 04:03 PM   #212
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

DOLA:

This is great.

Quote:
The dissenting justices called Deters’ reasoning “utter jabberwocky,”
Old 07-26-2024, 07:20 PM   #213
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I make chicken fingers at home, and my son always hated them. Then we took them and tossed them in wing sauce after cooking them, and called them boneless wings, and he loves them.
He's 20.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 01:32 AM   #214
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Am I missing something? Wouldn't Biden's proposed Supreme Court reforms require a constitutional amendment?
Old 07-30-2024, 04:22 AM   #215
GrantDawg

The Constitution does say that the court is organized as Congress ordained. It basically says there is one, that there is a Chief Justice that would oversee an Impeachment trial, and spells out its jurisdiction. It also says the President has the power to pick justices with the advice and consent of the Senate, but it doesn't set a term beyond "as long as in good Behaviour". That has always been interpreted as "for life." The question is going to be if Congress can set a term shorter than that.

Edot: Chief Justice John Robert's has given support for 15 year term limits before, so did former Justice Breyer. So there has at least been some on the court that suggests it is possible.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-30-2024 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:38 AM   #216
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

iT'S ALL ABOUT THE SAUCE
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 08:24 AM   #217
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I just don't see how term limits are in any way constitutional. Obviously what's constitutional is whatever the Court is willing to say is constitutional, but in terms of what the document actually says, I can't read that in any way that supports it.
Old 07-30-2024, 08:41 AM   #218
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The Constitution does say that the court is organized as Congress ordained. It basically says there is one, that there is a Chief Justice that would oversee an Impeachment trial, and spells out its jurisdiction. It also says the President has the power to pick justices with the advice and consent of the Senate, but it doesn't set a term beyond "as long as in good Behaviour". That has always been interpreted as "for life." The question is going to be if Congress can set a term shorter than that.

Edot: Chief Justice John Robert's has given support for 15 year term limits before, so did former Justice Breyer. So there has at least been some on the court that suggests it is possible.

Breyer and Roberts suggested support for 15 to 18 yr term limits, but they never said that Congress could implement such a plan. It would take a Constitutional Amendment.

Hamilton talks about what Good Behaviour means in the Federalist papers, and why it was necessary for the Judiciary to be composed that way. There's no rational debate about that that term means in the Constitution.

Term limits definitely require an Amendment. An ethics code would require an Amendment if it has any punishment that removes/suspends a judge from power or financially punishes them.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 09:35 AM   #219
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-30-2024, 10:16 AM   #220
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I haven't read all the details, but one 18 year term just makes sense. You've got nine justices, replace one every two years. All this "for life" stuff is just morbid.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 12:51 PM   #221
PilotMan
Head Coach

All good until the Senate refuses to have a hearing on an appointee from the opposing party.

Like Steam?

Old 07-30-2024, 12:59 PM   #222
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I haven't read all the details, but one 18 year term just makes sense. You've got nine justices, replace one every two years. All this "for life" stuff is just morbid.

For life makes zero sense as a federal employee. Clarence Thomas complains about SCOTUS pay but if he retired from the court after 18 years he could have coasted on speaking engagements, "gifts" from "friends", and political/court commentary while getting free Healthcare and a pension.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:04 PM   #223
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
All good until the Senate refuses to have a hearing on an appointee from the opposing party.

Simple, add that if the Senate fails to have a hearing within 90 days of nomination then the President is free to directly appoint.

Even without reform Obama could have likely made the argument that by failing to have a hearing on Garland senate waived its right to do so. No one thought Trump was going to win so they didn't push back at all. Handling of the courts was the biggest mistake of the Obama administration.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:51 PM   #224
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Simple, add that if the Senate fails to have a hearing within 90 days of nomination then the President is free to directly appoint.

Even without reform Obama could have likely made the argument that by failing to have a hearing on Garland senate waived its right to do so. No one thought Trump was going to win so they didn't push back at all. Handling of the courts was the biggest mistake of the Obama administration.

Really should be a Senate rule that a vote is required on at least certain level Judges and confirmable positions (say Appellate and Secretary level) by a certain time, or they are automatically confirmed.
Old 08-05-2024, 01:52 PM   #225
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thomas and Alito truly are out of fucks and have zero intention of even trying to be unbiased anymore.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 11:39 AM   #226
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wonder if this is Melvin ApprovedTM.

https://newrepublic.com/post/184799/...-arizona-water

Quote:
In May, the Environmental Protection Agency ordered the Air Force and National Guard to develop a plan to address the pollution, which would cost them an estimated $25 million—just 0.1 percent of the Air Force’s budget. The Air Force refused, stating that “the EPA’s order can not withstand review” and therefore it wouldn’t be beholden to it, according to The Guardian.
Old 08-20-2024, 10:48 PM   #227
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They found a Trump judge who just put a national stay on the no-compete rules.
Old 08-21-2024, 09:49 PM   #228
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That judge should be canned and forced to sign a non-compete.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 03:12 PM   #229
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Does anyone have any idea how the ruling in Arizona is going to effect the race there? How many voters just got ruled ineligible with the ruling?
Old 08-22-2024, 03:52 PM   #230
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Does anyone have any idea how the ruling in Arizona is going to effect the race there? How many voters just got ruled ineligible with the ruling?

From what I understand, there were around 41,000 people on the list they were trying to exclude. Apparently everyone on the list is allowed to vote in federal elections, but may be ineligible for state and local elections. It is still kind of a cluster.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 04:51 PM   #231
GrantDawg

My understanding is it only says they can require people registering to vote to prove citizenship if they use the state registration form. They can still register for federal elections using the federal firm without that proof. It doesn't affect anyone currently registered.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2024, 06:44 PM   #232
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Thomas and Alito truly are out of fucks and have zero intention of even trying to be unbiased anymore.

No question about it. At least Barrett has dissented with the conservative majority on several key rulings.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 05:19 PM   #233
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

MAGA is livid.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote