General Manager

We have a new contender for craziest spouse on SCOTUS

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/28/u...e=articleShare
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:52 AM   #102
cuervo72
Head Coach

Not SCOTUS, but still courts:

A grant program for Black women business owners is discriminatory, appeals court rules | AP News

Black women not allowed to help other black women, basically.
Old 06-06-2024, 11:48 AM   #103
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

A grant program for Black women business owners is discriminatory, appeals court rules | AP News

That is ridiculous. What's next, a school lunch program is discriminatory against hungry adults?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 11:56 AM   #104
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Would you be fine with a program ran by white men that intentionally discriminated based on race and gender?
Old 06-06-2024, 12:07 PM   #105
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Would you be fine with a program ran by white men that intentionally discriminated based on race and gender?

Sigh. The point, I think, is to give aid to those who need it and are unlikely to get it elsewhere. Like, I wouldn't run a charitable organization to help billionaires. Yes, that is an extreme example, but illustrates the basic premise; as far as startup money goes, white men have a decided advantage as opposed to black women. Apparently a goal of rectifying that -- if only a little -- is no good?

What's next? The United Negro College Fund?

(I mean, I guess the argument is that these are "contracts", which strikes me as a load of bull. I don't see how this is really all that different from me getting a bit of scholarship money from an Italian-American group in college because I happen to have an Italian last name. I also wonder about things like in-group loans, etc. Don't the Mormons have some system set up where they fund other Mormon projects? Bet something like that will never be challenged. But oh, Black women, can't assist them!)
Old 06-06-2024, 12:08 PM   #106
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also, "program ran [sic] by white men that intentionally discriminated based on race and gender" is, essentially, the whole current status quo.
Old 06-06-2024, 12:19 PM   #107
cuervo72
Head Coach

"The world will not be fair until black women show more support to me, a white man."

This is what I'm hearing, basically.

(Lemme guess, initiatives like girls/women in STEM are probably wrongheaded too?)
Old 06-06-2024, 12:25 PM   #108
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Cue Byron Donalds saying this is a good thing because black women were better off when they just couldn't own businesses.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 12:26 PM   #109
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

This is such a ridiculous simplified argument made by uneducated knuckle draggers who lack the ability to critically think.

It is the equivalent of

"why isn't there white history month?"
"why isn't there straight month?"

etc....you're better than that
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 01:17 PM   #110
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

That's like most of this country's history.

But to answer your question, if white men were enslaved for generations, freed without reparations for the damage inflicted on them, thrown into a segregated system where they did not have access to education, money, or power for over a hundred years, and then finally given more freedom just 60 years ago where they still see their political power gerrymandered away and receive harsher treatment by politicians and our justice system, my answer is yes.

If your country has put a particular group at a massive disadvantage for countless generations, it seems only fair to help level that playing ground. That is if you believe we should be a meritocracy instead of an aristocracy.
Old 06-06-2024, 01:34 PM   #111
thesloppy
Pro Starter

For anybody who thinks these programs are no longer necessary, can you point out to me when sysystemic racism ended? Should be pretty easy to do, for such a significant change.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 01:37 PM   #112
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It seems most of you here are calling for more systemic racism if you want to allow companies to racially discriminate.
Old 06-06-2024, 01:43 PM   #113
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Sure, you got me. Direct hit. Now can you tell me when sytemic racism ended?
Old 06-06-2024, 01:46 PM   #114
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Sure, you got me. Direct hit. Now can you tell me when sytemic racism ended?

Never as long as racists like you are around.
Old 06-06-2024, 01:49 PM   #115
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
It seems most of you here are calling for more systemic racism if you want to allow companies to racially discriminate.
Do you know what "grant" means? This is not a business, but a charity of the organization helping minority business owners.

Edit: Fixed it

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-06-2024 at 02:01 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 01:51 PM   #116
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Fresh and funny stuff. When do you think systemic racism ended?

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-06-2024 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 02:05 PM   #117
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The problem is due to systematic racism there's a monumental gap that exists and barriers for black entrepreneurs and business owners. Black entrepreneurs get less than 1% of venture capital funding. Black people make up 16% of the population but hold only 3% of the wealth. From '09 to '17 black women led startups pulled 0.0006% of venture capital funding.

Whether we like it or not there are cultural differences between black and white communities and with the vast majority of investors being white, it's more difficult for black men and women to get meetings and secure funding. I don't think it's always systematic racism either. A lot of these investors want to make money regardless of who's helping them make it, but they don't know black culture and black communities so it can be more difficult for them to identify potentially successful startups and promising entrepreneurs.

So the question for you is, if we don't have programs like the one the Supreme Court ruled on then what's the solution to this problem?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 03:50 PM   #118
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

This is repayment to those affected by centuries of systemic racism. The state should do its best to right the wrongs of its past and ensure an equal playing ground for its citizens. Would you consider the redress movement racist?
Old 06-06-2024, 04:05 PM   #119
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Systemic racism has existed and continues to exist. The question is how much is still out there.

Using a very generalized 80-20, I’m personally on the 20 whereas some others here are more on the 80.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 09:24 PM   #120
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This is repayment to those affected by centuries of systemic racism. The state should do its best to right the wrongs of its past and ensure an equal playing ground for its citizens. Would you consider the redress movement racist?

If the redress movement is for discriminating based on race then yes.

I'm not sure the answer to racism is more racism.
Old 06-07-2024, 01:54 AM   #121
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Thats really stretching the defintion of racism. Maybe you mean reverse descrimination How else would you suggest we achieve a just and inclusive society?
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 06:06 AM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson View Post
How else would you suggest we achieve a just and inclusive society?

"Just" is the very last thing those backing the affirmative action*garbage want.

*used as a catch all to cover all the insane horseshit discussed over the last few pages of this thread, which was all I could stomach
Old 06-07-2024, 09:11 AM   #123
thesloppy
Pro Starter

You guys seem very passionate about this. I'd love to hear your personal stories about how this discrimination and injustice has affected your lives.
Old 06-07-2024, 09:16 AM   #124
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW here's how CA did the calculations for reparations. There are nice details & graphics in the article.

I doubt it'll happen (or at least not at $1.2M per person).

Just a moment...
Quote:
The group considered factors beyond slavery, including housing discrimination, health harms, mass incarceration and excessive policing.
Quote:
Based on the annual amounts recommended by the report’s authors, a person could receive reparations of more than $1.2 million.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-07-2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2024, 11:47 AM   #125
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
You guys seem very passionate about this. I'd love to hear your personal stories about how this discrimination and injustice has affected your lives.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 12:24 PM   #126
Atocep
Coordinator

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/06/supr...ce-thomas.html

The only way we're going to get supreme court ethics reform is if the liberal justices start taking gifts like Thomas.
Old 06-07-2024, 02:53 PM   #127
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

That's a unique definition of racism. I consider it repayment for the past wrongs. No different than when we compensate someone who was wrongfully imprisoned or unjustly killed by the state.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:54 PM   #128
Edward64
Head Coach

Article has SCOTUS disclosures.

I really don't begrudge them of "trinkets" just as long as there is full disclosure, conform to the rules (which previously seemed prone to ones own definition), and they recuse themselves when needed. I assume there is more rigor & clear "definitions" nowadays to ensure complete transparency,

Regardless, we are cheap ass country to just pay SCOTUS below for a lifetime assignment. I don't know what total compensation/benefits are but we can easily afford $1-2M each a year.

reuters.com
Quote:
The publishing proceeds supplement the justices' salaries. This year the eight associate justices will receive $298,500, with Chief Justice John Roberts getting $312,200.
Old 06-07-2024, 09:24 PM   #129
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Regardless, we are cheap ass country to just pay SCOTUS below for a lifetime assignment. I don't know what total compensation/benefits are but we can easily afford $1-2M each a year.

reuters.com

The real money's in the endorsement deals.
Old 06-07-2024, 11:11 PM   #130
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/06/supr...ce-thomas.html

The only way we're going to get supreme court ethics reform is if the liberal justices start taking gifts like Thomas.

What would happen is that every republican would blow the whistle on them and immediately try to impeach and every democrat would demand they resign and the democrat would resign while nothing would happen any of the republican. That's what always happens and will continue to happen
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 01:34 PM   #131
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

FWIW, SCOTUS' health plans (which cover them until they die) are top-notch and worth a lot. Perhaps not to make it up to $1-2M/year, but close when we consider the expense of end-of-life care.

Disclosure rules for justices (and most everyone in an elected position at the federal level for that matter) are a complete joke compared to those most working Americans are required to follow. They absolutely need to be toughened up, but asking someone to police themselves never works.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 02:09 PM   #132
Atocep
Coordinator

Alito admits how he really feels and that he can't effectively do his job in a recording where he thought he was talking to a religious fundamental ally.

Deconstructed: Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito Caught on Secret Audio

Last edited by Atocep : 06-10-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2024, 03:05 PM   #133
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Court related but not Supreme Court related (though it might be that later). Brian Steele, the attorney defending Young Thug in the racketeering case in Fulton County, Georgia has just been arrested for contempt. He called for a mistrial because the judge had met with the DA and a witness Ex-parte. Instead of denying it, the judged demanded Steele tell him who informed him of that and threw him jail when he refused.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 03:08 PM   #134
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Young Thug trial proves that every court proceeding should be televised.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 03:35 PM   #135
RainMaker
General Manager

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...mpa-rcna151242
Old 06-11-2024, 04:29 PM   #136
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Thomas, deservedly, is getting a ton of heat but Alito is worse. Thomas is fairly consistent in his rulings and how he reaches them. Alito moves the goalposts to find the justification to fit his decision.