Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2024, 05:44 PM   #451
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've been watching a montage of Clark taking shot after shot and then saw this:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 05:44 PM   #452
cuervo72
Head Coach

Old 06-02-2024, 05:47 PM   #453
Ksyrup

I can't believe they shut down the NBA for a week before the finals. Ridiculous.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-02-2024, 10:52 PM   #454
miami_fan
Coordinator

By they, I am guessing you mean the Mavs and the Celtics?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM   #455
Ksyrup

They play when the league tells them to play.

The whole NBA playoffs is weird to me based on timing because I just spent 2 weeks in the UK so I saw zero basketball. I missed the entire conference finals. Now I'm back and the finals start a week later. I feel like a new season should be starting more than the finals should be happening.

Last edited by Ksyrup : Yesterday at 07:10 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #456
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The gap in the NBA finals happens every once in awhile. Pretty sure 2015/2017 both had huge gaps. I do think the league should have a contingency plan to at least move it up to Tuesday instead of Thursday but it is what it is.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #457
Swaggs
Coordinator

It's somewhat surprising they don't hold the lottery and/or announce the award winners during this time. I don't think either would be enough to take away from the conference finals, if they went the distance.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #458
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It hasn't helped that this has been probably the least compelling and competitive NBA playoffs in a long time. 7 of the series have been 4-0 or 4-1. I'll check in for the finals, but this is by far the lowest amount of NBA playoffs I've ever watched. The jack 3s style with blowouts all over the place just isn't interesting.
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM   #459
Jas_lov
College Starter

I don't understand why they can't move the games up in this scenario. They say its for planning but if both conference finals went 7 games they would only have a few days to plan. Then they have this stupid Thursday-Sunday-Wednesday schedule for Games 1-3 of the finals. There's nothing else on in the summer so why not just play every other day.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #460
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The last game of any conference finals was Thu May 30, right?
They resume Thu Jun 6, right?

That's a week of downtime.

That's one day different than the schedule for starting the Stanley Cup finals.
Is that one extra day THAT big a deal?

I prefer the "when things can reasonably start, they start" model of old, but this isn't just an NBA thing.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #461
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
It hasn't helped that this has been probably the least compelling and competitive NBA playoffs in a long time. 7 of the series have been 4-0 or 4-1.

Not really THAT different than recent years tho, is it?

Number of 0 or 1 win losers prior to the Finals in recent years
(starting with last year)

6(2023) ,6, 5, 6, 8, 8.8, 6, 7,4 (2019)

So counting this season, half of the last 10 years have had either 7 or 8 series that weren't close. This is pretty much the norm.

And there's also the typical number of 7 game series this season (3) over the past decade.

This is what the NBA has been in terms of post-season competitiveness for a decade.
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #462
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, that's not great. I also think having Giannis, KD, EMbiid, Lebron & Steph all out after the first round (and Jokic out by the next one) really hurt the star power too.
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #463
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Anecdotally, it certainly feels like there were more 7-game series back in the 80s and 90s.

Maybe with better coaching/analytics, the better team in a series is just too good now.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:52 PM   #464
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I don't understand why they can't move the games up in this scenario. They say its for planning but if both conference finals went 7 games they would only have a few days to plan. Then they have this stupid Thursday-Sunday-Wednesday schedule for Games 1-3 of the finals. There's nothing else on in the summer so why not just play every other day.

Who is gonna tell the owners of these arenas not to schedule other events during the conference finals to make sure the arenas are available just in case they have to move up the finals?

I am pretty sure there was a concert on the same night and time as Game 6 of the West finals in the same arena. I know they could change times etc. but still. The calendar for some of these venues have very little flexibility in them.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote