Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2024, 08:28 AM   #1001
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Lawrence contract appears completely absurd, only a major leap could possibly justify it afaic.

The production difference between Lawrence & Mac Jones compared to their relative status at the moment ... it's comical.
Old 06-14-2024, 08:36 AM   #1002
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is how it works though. It's all timing. Daniel Jones benefitted. Way back when, I think Joe Flacco had a similar pot o' gold fall into his lap. Teams pay because they don't want to end up without a known quantity with at least some redeeming value at QB because it could easily cost them years of competitiveness - which, I assume, either offsets the contract or at least makes it worth not gambling on an unknown future by letting him walk.

Dak's going to probably set the market at this point. He's better than Lawrence, but he's not that good. Funny enough, every Cowboys fan I know IRL wants him gone.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-14-2024 at 08:37 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:51 AM   #1003
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
He's better than Lawrence, but he's not that good. Funny enough, every Cowboys fan I know IRL wants him gone.

That's the part I wonder about. Do the Cowboys roll the dice and move on? Or do they pony up? I sort of lean toward them rolling the dice.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:54 AM   #1004
Danny
Head Coach

He needs to improve for sure. So far his careee numbers and performance match up almost exactly to Gardner Minshew
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:56 AM   #1005
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Kamara holding out.

Smart move by him. He gets ~$10 million base this year, and then he's a pretty obvious cut next year. And RBs age poorly--and older RBs get paid with that in mind.

And the coaching staff is in win-now mode to keep their jobs.

So this is his last and best chance to try and squeeze a bit more money out of the team.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 11:48 AM   #1006
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I've said it before, but this deal is the hardest decision for a GM. It's easy to offer the mega-deal to a superstar and it's easy to cut the guy you think you can replace easily. The hard decision is whether to pay the second tier guy who probably won't get you to a championship but also is likely irreplaceable in the short term. The incentives for the GM almost always lead to paying the player and hoping things turn out well because the other choice almost certainly means more losses next season.
Old 06-14-2024, 01:56 PM   #1007
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The Lawrence contract appears completely absurd, only a major leap could possibly justify it afaic.

The production difference between Lawrence & Mac Jones compared to their relative status at the moment ... it's comical.

Page 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
If you don't pay Goff, Tagovailoa, Cousins, etc... you'll end up with someone like O'Connell, Howell, Ridder, or Pickett, if you're lucky.

And while theoretically the former group can get you the results of a Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Jackson, etc... if you also have a complimentary weapon or two and/or an offensive mastermind at HC or OC, that's not going to be true with the latter group.

So, super-simple, it's supply and demand, and less than half of the league has QBs that can get their teams to the playoffs and be a somewhat legitimate threat once there.

So, you've got to pay those guys or tear it down and try to draft one. But if you've built an otherwise strong team (DET, MIA, MIN are decent examples) that's a lot of sunk cost to punt on. I would imagine it's really hard to tell an owner or a fanbase "yeah, we might be in the top half of the league and with a lucky break or two we're in the Super Bowl, but the chances aren't high, so we're going to get rid of everyone and tank to take our chances on a franchise QB in the draft."

It's just simple supply-and-demand. If we're being pretty generous, there are around 16 QBs who can be a big part of getting you to the playoffs or better, and that includes a bunch that are going to need a really good team and staff around them for this to happen. All the teams without one of these QBs is looking at non-playoff mediocrity at best, to their QB being actively detrimental to their ability to win at worst.

Now, while I realize Lawrence has similar stats to Jones & Minshew (or whatever), the other factor in this is the pretty widespread idea that he's still salvageable, based on a) his college pedigree, b) an assumption that his year with Meyer set him back and c) whatever flashes of competence people want to look up on youtube.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 03:29 PM   #1008
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Page 1:

It's just simple supply-and-demand. If we're being pretty generous, there are around 16 QBs who can be a big part of getting you to the playoffs or better, and that includes a bunch that are going to need a really good team and staff around them for this to happen. All the teams without one of these QBs is looking at non-playoff mediocrity at best, to their QB being actively detrimental to their ability to win at worst.

Now, while I realize Lawrence has similar stats to Jones & Minshew (or whatever), the other factor in this is the pretty widespread idea that he's still salvageable, based on a) his college pedigree, b) an assumption that his year with Meyer set him back and c) whatever flashes of competence people want to look up on youtube.
Honestly, he just looks it. Everything about him from size to arm strength to his ability to hit tight holes. His talents makes him look like he should be an S-tier quarterback. I can see how a team can believe he is going to put it together.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 03:35 PM   #1009
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
whatever flashes of competence people want to look up on youtube.

Which fits what I said, he has to take a major leap to justify the deal.

They believe he will.

If he doesn't, they'll end up with a new GM.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:52 PM   #1010
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Think you forgot their GM was Trent (cousin) Baalke. It's going to take a lot more than that to get him fired.

Lawrence was pretty good last year until the injuries started piling up. I think he also leads the NFL in drop rate by his receivers over the past 3 years and led the NFL in EPA lost due to dropped passes last year. He still has too many fumbles and interceptions that are his fault, but I think he can reduce those.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:44 PM   #1011
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Which fits what I said, he has to take a major leap to justify the deal.

They believe he will.

I'm curious how the deal is structured. Is it one of those where most of the guaranteed money is in the first 3 years? If so, that isn't that bad considering he was going to have a couple years of rope anyway.

There's also a $30 million jump in the salary cap next season and I think it's projected go up maybe another $20 million in 2025. So maybe it's just a contract that won't look too bad in the later years if it keeps increasing.

I don't know. It's such a weird spot for teams who have average QBs with potential because it's so hard to go back to the drawing board at that position. You almost have to pay it and pray they pan out.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:48 PM   #1012
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Kamara holding out.

Smart move by him. He gets ~$10 million base this year, and then he's a pretty obvious cut next year. And RBs age poorly--and older RBs get paid with that in mind.

And the coaching staff is in win-now mode to keep their jobs.

So this is his last and best chance to try and squeeze a bit more money out of the team.

I sort of get it but also with how little running backs are getting, $10 million for a season is a lot of money and maybe you're better off just playing it out. I see no reason why the Saints would budge since his production has been tapering off.
Old 06-14-2024, 06:50 PM   #1013
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I know this means nothing until they start playing games but I saw breakdown the other day of NFL offensive lines in the NFL that had the Jags at 30. It’s never going to be easy to produce when your WRs are leading the league in drops and you also have the worst offensive line in the conference. Maybe they should just go ahead and fire the GM now.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-14-2024 at 06:51 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:01 PM   #1014
RainMaker
General Manager

Bill Belichick, 72, is dating 24-year-old former cheerleader
Old 06-14-2024, 08:22 PM   #1015
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I have more respect for Mike Zimmer. He's a MILF kind of guy
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:39 PM   #1016
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

"The two bonded over a philosophy project Hudson had been working on and exchanged contact information after landing"

Uh-huh. Sure they did.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-14-2024 at 08:39 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:14 PM   #1017
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Pondering what is the meaning of "We're on to Cincinnati"?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:04 AM   #1018
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Just as long as its consensual, both adults, he's not married, more power to him.

One thing I've learn is ... life is short.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM   #1019
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

insert "Bellichek ia deflating" joke
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote