Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2024, 04:14 PM   #651
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It appears it was a heart attack from what I read today. Since the flight originated at LHR it's been in the news here as you might imagine. He was a British man in his 70s.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:54 PM   #652
Ksyrup

Almost a full week into our 2-week trip. London was fantastic. People were great, up and down. They all mentioned how much they enjoy Americans. The history is just incredible. We did the sites around town but also went to Canterbury and Dover.

So now we're on a 4-night cruise. Monday is a bank holiday so this is a primarily British cruise - about 70% of the passengers are from the UK and we're definitely in the minority.

Couple things I noticed - just as I thought, the British dress way better than the typical American cruiser. Jeans are few and far between and we feel underdressed. I brought some business casual clothes and my wife brought a couple dresses, but that's the normal dress code for walking around the ship as casual clothes, not reserved just for dinner. Also, seems like everyone eats later so we have run of the buffet or restaurants for early dining (which I prefer).

British comic spent the first 10 minutes telling jokes only the British people understood. And then he stole Brian Regan's "take luck" routine and I wanted to call him out on it but I figured that would make me a typical American prick.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-23-2024, 06:12 PM   #653
RainMaker
General Manager

Have you been to Dublin yet? I can't stress enough how incredible Howth is if you are up for a little walking.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:51 PM   #654
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Almost a full week into our 2-week trip. London was fantastic. People were great, up and down. They all mentioned how much they enjoy Americans.

How’s the local food and beer?

Re: enjoy Americans, pretty sure you haven’t talked politics nor guns with them!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:10 AM   #655
Ksyrup

Food's been good, actually. I don't really drink much and don't drink beer at all, but probably will force myself to when we get to Dublin. At least a taste of Guinness I guess. I've had 3 different Brits tell me their food isn't good. Did the full English breakfast just to try it. They can keep the black pudding. But the wife and I drink 5-6 cups of tea a day so we've leaned into that. Got lounge access at the IC Park Lane and had tea every afternoon (in addition to breakfast and evening tea service).

I talked politics with a couple tour guides/cabbies. Same story I heard in NZ and Australia - they view Trump as entertaining and don't understand how Biden and Trump can be our candidates. One guy did say he mentioned something about Trump and got 45 minutes of Trump worship from some American.

We head to Dublin Monday night. Monday is a full day - disembark in Southampton, do a tour of Stonehenge, Windsor and Salisbury, get dropped off at LHR, hop an Aer Lingus flight to Dublin. I think we get in around 10pm.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:01 AM   #656
Ksyrup

The other distinctly British thing we've observed is that they fork-and-knife everything. Multiple people eating burgers and pizza with utensils, even French fries. In fact, it's pretty impressive watching them fork some fries and use the other hand to scoop ketchup on a knife, spread it on their fries, then eat them.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:51 AM   #657
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Try halumi fries. You can thank me later.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:10 PM   #658
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In fact, it's pretty impressive watching them fork some fries and use the other hand to scoop ketchup on a knife, spread it on their fries, then eat them.

Okay, thaaaaat's taking things a notch (or two) too far.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:31 PM   #659
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mayo on fries is a big thing over there
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:35 PM   #660
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The other distinctly British thing we've observed is that they fork-and-knife everything. Multiple people eating burgers and pizza with utensils, even French fries. In fact, it's pretty impressive watching them fork some fries and use the other hand to scoop ketchup on a knife, spread it on their fries, then eat them.

You gotta get out of there man. British people ain't right.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:36 PM   #661
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

One annoying thing about Europe is that every "American" style food they make is slathered in as much mayo as you can possibly consume. They seem to think that's all we eat. And I'm a proud mayo hater.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:32 PM   #662
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm heading to Porto for 10 days at the end of June. Looking forward to the trip. Going for a couple of large city festivals. Sao Joao for Porto, and San Pedro for Povoa de Varzim.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:21 PM   #663
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I could get into Mayo on fries. That's always the way I eat Chick-fil-a waffle fries.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:09 PM   #664
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I could get into Mayo on fries. That's always the way I eat Chick-fil-a waffle fries.

Oddly, that's some that I don't tend to use mayo with. It's more of a staple for me with sitdown fries, like a Loco's or somewhere.

But since I'm enjoying it at the moment, I'll offer a big tip: American Deli yum yum sauce with their fries. It's pretty much perfect.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:23 PM   #665
Ksyrup

Quote:

Yes it is and it's disgusting. I'm not a mayo fan to begin with, but it's offered as a condiment side by side with ketchup everywhere. Ugh.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:16 PM   #666
Ksyrup

Third rate musicians and social media personalities seem to follow us. When we were in Australia and spent the day at Bondi Beach, we found out Travis Barker and Khloe Kardashian were about a block away from us. Today, we're in Amsterdam and the big news is Nicki Minaj was arrested for drug possession at Schiphol Airport.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-25-2024 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:04 PM   #667
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Mayo isn't really all that far from garlic aioli and that's tasty with fries.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 04:27 PM   #668
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

No it’s not. Belgium, France, Netherlands, yes, but in the UK no.

It’s actually pretty good, but not common over here
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 04:51 PM   #669
GrantDawg

Poutine is the best way to have fries.

Old 05-25-2024, 05:04 PM   #670
Edward64
Head Coach

Too messy. Ketchup and then mayo
Old 05-26-2024, 12:27 AM   #671
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

Odd. Because it's offered as a condiment with fries everywhere we've been and I haven't seen anyone NOT using it with fries (if they use a condiment).
Old 05-26-2024, 03:07 AM   #672
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Odd. Because it's offered as a condiment with fries everywhere we've been and I haven't seen anyone NOT using it with fries (if they use a condiment).

How weird. Are you in London? Might be tourists I guess?

Mayo is always in the condiments pot, but can’t recall in 50 years seeing anyone using it on fries here
Old 05-26-2024, 03:14 AM   #673
Ksyrup

In London and on a cruise that is 70% Britons. Specifically see them eating fries with mayo only.
Old 05-26-2024, 03:26 AM   #674
Ksyrup

Although we're in Belgium now and the tour guide specifically said they do not use ketchup with fries, only mayo.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:13 AM   #675
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:

And even that's comparing apples and oranges, because French "mayo" is sour, while Dutch "mayo" is sweet.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:57 AM   #676
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Although we're in Belgium now and the tour guide specifically said they do not use ketchup with fries, only mayo.

In Belgium, definitely, and I would in Belgium too (when in Rome…)

But it’s definitely not the norm in the UK - you must have an abnormal cross section with you!

What do Britons like most on their chips? | YouGov

Hope you’re enjoying the trip?

Last edited by AlexB : 05-26-2024 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:32 PM   #677
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
And even that's comparing apples and oranges, because French "mayo" is sour, while Dutch "mayo" is sweet.

Didn’t realise that!

I haven’t been to France for a while (edit - oops, forgot, I was there last month! ) but have been to Netherlands and Belgium - I didn’t notice too much difference (any if I’m being honest!) in the mayo between the two… are they similar, or is just a lack of tastebuds on my behalf?

Last edited by AlexB : 05-27-2024 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:38 PM   #678
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post

In addition, they're not eating Freedom Fries in Europe.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 01:49 PM   #679
GrantDawg

Quote:
In Belgium, definitely, and I would in Belgium too (when in Rome…)

But it’s definitely not the norm in the UK - you must have an abnormal cross section with you!

What do Britons like most on their chips? | YouGov

Hope you’re enjoying the trip?
Mushy peas is a new one.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:50 PM   #680
AlexB
Pro Starter

Fries update: I'm in Slovenia ATM, and was given ketchup and mayo with fries. Hadn't thought about it much before today, but realised I prefer mayo to ketchup - the ketchup overpowered the fries, the mayo complemented them.

I still prefer plain salted, but actually I'm a convert
Old 05-26-2024, 01:54 PM   #681
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Mushy peas is a new one.

As a thing or a fry-topping?

One of my lasting memories from my late teens/early twenties was at a near-empty nightclub in Cumbria, seeing a slim girl in a little black dress on the dance floor with a tray of chips and curry sauce, not spilling a drop.

Never spoke to her, but I think I'll remember her for the rest of my life!
Old 05-26-2024, 04:07 PM   #682
GrantDawg

Quote:
As a thing or a fry-topping?

One of my lasting memories from my late teens/early twenties was at a near-empty nightclub in Cumbria, seeing a slim girl in a little black dress on the dance floor with a tray of chips and curry sauce, not spilling a drop.

Never spoke to her, but I think I'll remember her for the rest of my life!
Really, both. I've never heard of mushy peas as a condiment, and just reading the description I don't believe I have ever had anything quite like what is described. I might like them, but I have been trying some British staples recently with mixed results. I bought a can of British style Heinz beans and tried beans on toast. No thanks. Those beans are just not very good. I also picked up some HB brown sauce to try on various things, and it is ok. The English woman that was raving about it talked like they put that on almost everything, but I just don't see it.
Old 05-26-2024, 04:44 PM   #683
AlexB
Pro Starter

I’ll ignore the Heinz beans on toast comment- that will get you banned by immigration!

HP brown sauce is a lot sweeter than it used to be, but was always a bit marmite to people: but still nothing better than a bacon/sausage sandwich with brown sauce!

Mushy peas are amazing* - fish and chips with mushy peas, OMG. If FOFC had a drool emoji…

*Amazing in a wholesome comforting way that is way beyond the actual taste. They are good, but not sure how I can describe them as it’s not just what they are, it’s more the emotions they spark I guess, of family fish and chip Fridays, with grandparents that are no longer with us.

Last edited by AlexB : 05-26-2024 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:08 PM   #684
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Mushy peas are amazing* - fish and chips with mushy peas, OMG.

I can't really give you the grossed out reaction that feels appropriate for the simple fact that I don't like green peas when they're normal (at all, will not touch, will literally pick out of fried rice one by one, do not pass go, do not collect $200) so it seems rather natural that I wouldn't want them mushy.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:40 PM   #685
Edward64
Head Coach

I’m not a mush green peas fan either but have had them with bangers. Salt fixes a lot of things!
Old 05-26-2024, 05:44 PM   #686
21C
College Prospect

Australia is tied to a lot of British ways of doing things historically. I still remember going to the fish and chip shop as a kid (50 years ago) and the only condiment offered was brown vinegar, sprinkled over both the fish and chips if you wanted. All of this was wrapped in butcher's paper and then newspaper in a tube-like arrangement. You would then rip off the end and eat your food on the go.

HP sauce was never big in my area although gravy on chips is still a thing in some parts here.

About 20 years ago, everyone was doing potato wedges with sour cream and sweet chili sauce on the side.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:58 PM   #687
Edward64
Head Coach

I hate it when people barge into an elevator before letting others out.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:35 PM   #688
GrantDawg

What I will say about Hienz is that they are exactly what they say on the tin. Beans in tomato sauce. They exactly taste like beans in tomato sauce out of a can. It is missing something to me. A spice or maybe something to sweeten it a little.
As for mushy peas, I really want to try them. I, unlike Jon, love green peas. They are my favorite vegetable. The way they are described sounds interesting.
I still have every intention to try to make a Yorkshire pudding. I have even bought some Bisto gravy granules to use with them. I have a very open mind for traditional English food, but leave off the Hienz beans.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-27-2024 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:04 PM   #689
GrantDawg

And I cooked Yorkshire puddings today. They didn't fluff as well as they should, but I think I got close. I get it. They are tasty.

Old 05-27-2024, 09:11 PM   #690
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is exactly the same stuff I talk about all day at work.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:41 AM   #691
Ksyrup

Been walking through Dublin for a few hours already. My favorite city on this trip so far. Having lunch in a pub.

We've seen a TK Maxx shop and Eddie Rockets diner. Waiting for a Levoo's jeans shop.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:38 PM   #692
AlexB
Pro Starter

There’s a pub in Dublin centre that used to be signwritten as ‘Madigan’s Drinking Emporium’… might still be for all I know.

Having seen it, I had to go in, and one inside it was just like every other Dublin pub, but what a classy way to describe the establishment!

Last edited by AlexB : 05-28-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 05:23 AM   #693
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I hate it when people barge into an elevator before letting others out.

Another guy tried to do this today. I just barged to the elevator door and refused to budge until he backed away with a sheepish grin.

Have to push back at rude people
Old 05-29-2024, 04:25 PM   #694
GrantDawg

Mushy peas! Quite tasty. Actually, it tastes less like English peas and more like what we call butter beans. Wouldn't eat them on fries, but they are good.

Old 05-29-2024, 04:27 PM   #695
Ksyrup

Cliffs of Moher today and it was sunny! We've had the best luck with weather on this trip. Even the rainy days, the rain mostly didn't fall unless we were inside or covered up.

One more day and we head back on Friday.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:31 AM   #696
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

My wife was supposed to fly through Dallas yesterday, but her flight was canceled due to weather. Instead she's going through today.

Meanwhile, I sent my phone out for repair last night via FedEx. It has already arrived in Dallas and is out for delivery.

My wife was not amused by this news.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 04:01 PM   #697
Edward64
Head Coach

I've only spent significant of time in 4 of the top 20. I've always wanted to visit Naples (but American pizza is better than Italian pizza!) and know that I'll be visiting Ho Chi Minh City sometime.

Always wanted to try "genuine" Pho and spring rolls in Vietnam. IMO when I was in Beijing, the Chinese food I ate tasted the same as the same Chinese dishes in the US. The difference was quantity on the plate & Beijing had a lot more different types of dishes that we don't see in the US. So I suspect it'll be the same with Vietnam.

These are the world’s 20 best cities for foodies, according to Time Out | CNN
Quote:
Time Out’s Best Cities for Food 2024
1. Naples, Italy
2. Johannesburg, South Africa
3. Lima, Peru
4. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5. Beijing, China
6. Bangkok, Thailand
7. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

8. Mumbai, India
9. Dubai, UAE
10. Portland, USA
11. Liverpool, UK
12. Medellín, Colombia
13. Seville, Spain
14. Porto, Portugal
15. Marrakech, Morocco
16. Lyon, France
17. Sydney, Australia
18. Montreal, Canada
19. Osaka, Japan
20. Copenhagen, Denmark

I will say that I'm surprised NYC, Chicago nor SF made the list; Japan so far down; and Denmark doesn't strike me as a culinary capital.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-30-2024 at 04:03 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #698
GrantDawg

Heading up to my son's graduation, since driving out of Charlotte, we have seen mountains and mountains and mountains and mountains. NC mountains turning into Virginia mountains turning into West Virginia mountains into Maryland mountains turning into Pennsylvania mountains turning into New York state mountains. Another hour and a half, we will be in to Massachusetts mountains.
Mountains are pretty, but they seem pretty much the same after a while.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #699
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Where's your son again?

Were you on 84 or 87 today? That would have put you right by my house.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #700
GrantDawg

88. He is at Williams.

Edit: We took 81 to 88. I did think about you when we hit New York, but I wasn't sure which town you were in.

Last edited by GrantDawg : Yesterday at 07:24 PM.