Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
Blade
College Prospect

Fantasy Football Advice - Who to keep?

Alright,

My keeper deadline is coming up in the Fantasy Football league I am in and I have a tough choice to make. I have one keeper spot still open, and it has to go to either Michael Bennett or Lee Suggs. Who should I keep?

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.

Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Suggs

neither is great but Bennett is a walking injury.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

What are your other options? Any?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
Samdari
Roster Filler

I've heard that Bennett is not really even being seriously considered for the starting spot, and in any case is far less likely to be a starting running back than Suggs.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Ouch, that is a tough decision. Both will be platooned at best in a corp of RB's. Cleveland has 5 RB's on the roster including Droughns, W.Green. Rkmsuf is right about the injuries to Bennett though, he is Mr. Glass. Who else are you cutting?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #6
Blade
College Prospect

Basically, my team stands at:

QB: Pennington, Roethlisberger
RB: Bennett, Suggs, Thomas Jones, C. Brown, M. Moore
WR: Chambers, A. Davis, Lloyd, Pinkston
TE: Gonzalez, T. Jones
K: Akers, Cundiff
Def: Giants, Miami

From this team, I can keep 3 players, and one more player between Thomas Jones and Chris Brown. This is a 16 team league, so talent is at a premium.

Right now, my thoughts were to keep Roethlisberger, Brown, Gonzalez, and either Suggs or Bennett.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

umm..

hmm..

wow..

Do you HAVE to keep someone? All your RB's have question marks.. injury or playing time.

I'd be more prone to keep Pennington over Roethlisberger.. both are mid-range QBs IMO.. probably Pennington, Brown, Gonzalez and ahh.. hmm...

Help, anyone?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 06-29-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #8
Blade
College Prospect

I don't have to keep anyone, but not keeping anyone doesn't provide me any benefit. So, I figure I might as well hold on to someone, and come draft time if I can pick up a better player, so be it.

Yah, I know. I inherited the team and have had a hell of a time trying to rebuild it.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
Tigercat
College Starter

Pennington, Brown, Gonzales, and Chambers would be my suggestion.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
Yah, I know. I inherited the team and have had a hell of a time trying to rebuild it.

Whew.. good.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #11
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

In a FF league where you get a draft-related benefit for not keeping anyone, I'm not keeping anyone on this team.

If you get no benefit from keeping no one, however, here are some suggestions:

WR A. Davis - if that's Andre Davis from the Texans, I'd keep him in this scenario. He's the Texans #1, put up good numbers last year, and if they ever figure out the O-Line he & Carr could be quite productive. He's pretty durable, too.

TE Gonzalez - Normally one wouldn't care, but since you're not being penalized, you might as well keep a guy who consistently produces at the TE position.

K Akers - Solves your K needs right away.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
In a FF league where you get a draft-related benefit for not keeping anyone, I'm not keeping anyone on this team.

If you get no benefit from keeping no one, however, here are some suggestions:

WR A. Davis - if that's Andre Davis from the Texans, I'd keep him in this scenario. He's the Texans #1, put up good numbers last year, and if they ever figure out the O-Line he & Carr could be quite productive. He's pretty durable, too.

TE Gonzalez - Normally one wouldn't care, but since you're not being penalized, you might as well keep a guy who consistently produces at the TE position.

K Akers - Solves your K needs right away.

I'm a big fan of the Texans Andre Davis. He's so fast you can't even see him out there.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just to clarify on Blades post (I'm in the same league). It's a 16 team league where you can keep 3 players from your end of season roster, then an additional player acquired in the off season via trade (to encourage owners to interact). If you keep less than the maximum amount, you get supplemental picks (I think starting in the 4th round).

That said, and with bearing to the advice given here, my general assumption is that each team will keep a QB, 2 RB and a WR or TE in most cases. Some teams may keep 2 QB, others 2 WR, some 3 RB, but I figure it'll average out to 15-20 QB's, 30-35 RB's, 15-20 WR's and 2-3 TE's off the board before the first pick in this year's draft.

Last year was the first year we went with 16 teams (used to be a split, one 10 team league, one 8 team league, so we merged, each team got 2 keepers, then we did a very long draft).

I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure Blade doesn't have a 1st rounder right now (dealt for Brown I think), but was looking to move back into the first in a pick package deal. So his current likelyhood of picking up one of this year's rookie crop or one of the rising stock (Lamont Jordan type) guys is currently low. Also, I'm relatively sure that it's Clevelands A. Davis, not the Texans.

I still personally think Bennett is the higher reward guy, going into a contract year, IF he manages to stay healthy, I think he could stranglehold the starters job. Suggs should be good, but I'd imagine that Droughns and Green will steal more carries than Moore, Williams and the rookie.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
I've heard that Bennett is not really even being seriously considered for the starting spot, and in any case is far less likely to be a starting running back than Suggs.

Not sure where you heard this, but as long as he's healthy I'd be shocked if Bennett weren't the starter.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I also heard they were not real high on Bennett.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:52 PM   #16
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I'm a big fan of the Texans Andre Davis. He's so fast you can't even see him out there.

eh, I'm a bigger fan of Andre Johnson...
Old 06-29-2005, 02:53 PM   #17
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Bah! :o
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:56 PM   #18
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
If you can't see him out there, then what is the point of him being there....the QB would throw blindly into the secondary, but I guess in some cases, that is what I think some NFL Qb's do anyways.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
If you can't see him out there, then what is the point of him being there....the QB would throw blindly into the secondary, but I guess in some cases, that is what I think some NFL Qb's do anyways.

It's all timing son.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:01 PM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
It's all timing son.

Here he is working on his 40 time.

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

That boy's good....he good.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 06-29-2005 at 03:02 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #22
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Also, I'm relatively sure that it's Clevelands A. Davis, not the Texans.

Yep...Cleveland's A. Davis.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #23
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Depending upon how important kickers are in your league, Akers is an ace.

Also, Pinkston might be a sleeper worth considering, what with T.O. possibly a hold-out and MotorMouth gone.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #24
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

My feeling is that Bennett will not be the starter for more than 4 games this year. I really like Mewelde Moore and think he's going to win the starting job out of training camp. Fason could very well see some significant time as well if he plays well enough.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #25
Tigercat
College Starter

Is there something wrong with Chambers that I don't know about? I can't image more people not suggesting him. I would expect him to get 800-1100 yards this year and 6-10 TDs. Even the low ranges there, which would be less than his career averages, aren't bad. He would be a good keep to me, unless he broke both legs in the offseason and I don't know about it.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #26
TwinCitiesFan
n00b

Bennett will be the starter this year, but once again he won't be a TD maker. So is he really worth it? It still smells like the dreaded RB by committee!!!
TwinCitiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #27
Celeval
Pro Starter

Consider keeping Pennington and Roeth? Then dealing one later on?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:22 PM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval

Yeah, but that's tough in an NFL league, to not have two RBs. This is why I'm strongly in favor of leagues that require both 2 starting QBs and 2 starting RBs. Otherwise, there's a huge premium on RBs and almost none on QBs since there are 30 starters of each in the NFL (fullbacks not really included, maybe Mike Alstott or another TD taker on a good year) but you need twice as many of one for the league.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:25 PM   #29
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesFan
Bennett will be the starter this year, but once again he won't be a TD maker. So is he really worth it? It still smells like the dreaded RB by committee!!!

That's what will likely happen if he stays healthy. He was a 1200 yard back while healthy, and Kleinsasser is back which should help the run game out greatly. I don't think Moe Williams has what it takes to be a 20+ carry a game guy, though he'll still be effective, it's doubtful Fason will start as a rookie, and Moore has durability concerns. Bennett has been working with the first team so far I believe and the job is his to lose at this point.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:36 PM   #30
jamesUMD
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval

I agree with Celeval. Keep these 2 and Gonzalez. There's nothing keeping you from redrafting Akers if he is unprotected so I would let him hang loose for the time being. I always try to draft the highest rated player at a position rather trying to draft the highest rated player left from a position that other teams are making a run on.