Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Windows 10 Announced

Yep, they skipped Windows 9... for some reason...

Microsoft's next OS is Windows 10, will ship later in 2015

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-micros...ati-1640805626

Your Start Menu is back, you heathens.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-30-2014 at 01:21 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wait... maybe they didn't skip a number... Free Windows 9 this year to those owning Windows 8:

Windows 9 upgrade: free download for Windows 8 users | BGR
Old 09-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

I will buy whatever OS they make that treats my desktop like a desktop and not a tablet. I loathe Windows 8.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I will buy whatever OS they make that treats my desktop like a desktop and not a tablet. I loathe Windows 8.

I have only ever had to use it once, very briefly, when helping my dad set up his new computer. I couldn't stand Windows 8. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it, but still.

Luckily, I am only about to finish year 2 of my current laptop. I run about 3-3.5 year or so cycle, so, if all goes well, I shouldn't needs buy another until Windows 10 is out.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And personally I just don't understand the opposition to Windows 8. Learned it in less than half an hour, and I don't have a touchscreen laptop.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And personally I just don't understand the opposition to Windows 8. Learned it in less than half an hour, and I don't have a touchscreen laptop.
What would you say Windows 8 brings to the table over Windows 7. What changes were ultimately for the better?

I don't mind Windows 8 at all, I got used to it as well, but it still went backwards in regards to the interface for mouse/keyboard driven input.

Unlike other bombs (Vista/ME), it seems as solid technically as anything they've built. The interface was just a head scratcher.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-30-2014 at 03:28 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As you indicate, technically it adds quite a bit under the hood.

I don't really see the Start Screen as a way back. I actually prefer it to the Start menu. In that way, I think Win10 is going backwards. The Start Screen allows you to put your favorite apps on the screen, rather than having to go through the secondary step of going to "All Programs" if it isn't in the 10 or so apps on the Start Menu. And if you want to see all of your Programs, it's easy enough to go down from the Metro tiles - and you don't have to hover over arrows to see everything.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+9999999999999
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I long ago stopped using the start menu to do anything but type in an app and do a quick search, well before 8 ever came out. Windows-S does the same in Win8, once I figured that out it was gold.

That said, you can see in the screenshots the Windows 10 start menu looking in part basically like a miniaturized version of the "Metro" menu from Win 8. Which is fine by me, I did not like the start menu replacing the desktop altogether with a non-cascading flat style, it was cluttered, hard to quickly navigate and did not flow with how I used every other aspect of the system. I can't remember the last time I used it(Windows-S for the win).

The classic start menu may be antiquated, but I don't think the Windows 8 version was the answer.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-30-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

99% of my desktop apps are accessible from the Task Bar or Start Menu (pinned games). I'll stick with 7 for I loath the design and layout of 8/10 (I don't want nor need a dashboard or tiled layout).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
What would you say Windows 8 brings to the table over Windows 7. What changes were ultimately for the better?

Speed.

I have Windows 8 configured to look like 7, so I have not seen the Start screen in at least 6 months. It is quite easy to hide the annoying parts of 8 if you want to.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Wait... maybe they didn't skip a number... Free Windows 9 this year to those owning Windows 8:

Windows 9 upgrade: free download for Windows 8 users | BGR

That news report is a few days old. If there is an update this year I think they will call it 8.2 if they bother to number it.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #13
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

I ordered a new desktop last week. I paid an extra $50 to have Windows 7 installed over 8.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:38 AM   #14
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Speed.

I have Windows 8 configured to look like 7, so I have not seen the Start screen in at least 6 months. It is quite easy to hide the annoying parts of 8 if you want to.

Again, I gotten used to and don't have much of a problem with Win8. That said, I don't think you are configuring it like 7 without paying for Start8(which is a fantastic product). I know there's a freebie alternative out there, but it's garbage. I understand why people hate it and think it's perfectly valid.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-01-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though I was thinking that all this whining about skipping numbers seems to forget that technically, the version number for 'Windows 8' is actually Windows version 6.2 (8.1 is version 6.3). This all began because Windows 7 was really just an SP3 to Vista, but they wanted to move away from the negative connotations with Vista, so while it was version number 6.1, the public name was Windows 7.

So, basically Win7, Win8, Win8.1 are based on the Vista codebase. So whatever they name it is kind of fluid anyways .
Old 10-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

this

I have gotten used to it, but don't think I'll ever get over the shock of taking my new laptop out of the box just to discover I have no idea how to navigate it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #17
Radii
Head Coach

https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/secure...tailsTask.java

There is a rumor going around that the version skipping may be in part due to third party code that is still out there that looks to see if the windows name started with "Windows 9" to check for Windows 95 and 95.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
Edward64
Head Coach

I stayed with Windows 7 for a while but bought a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8. After a little adjustment period, no looking back and am happy with it.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #19
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Because most of us are used to an interface we've been using for 20 years and it takes a long time to get used to the new one. We don't need giant Facebook and Instagram tiles giving us constant updates. We just need a machine that allows us to easily run software and customize the environment to our liking.

What is that you are getting by upgrading? It's a little faster. But just about every new feature touted could have been put into an operating system with the old UI and functionality.

Microsoft is selling us a Hybrid OS that while usable, wasn't quite made with their intentions in mind. They want to push their dumb app system so that they can scarf down 30% of the proceeds from 3rd parties. Apps that open in fullscreen and don't take you back to the previous program when closed. Because God knows when I'm using "Windows", I want to open something that doesn't give me access to other Windows. And I'd mention that most of these apps are just worse than the browser equivalent. I also have a mouse and don't need imaginary spaces on my keyboard that open up menus. Just give me a button and let me click.

Windows 8 is just Microsoft's way of condensing their development teams and taking a cut off software that they had nothing to do with. It wasn't made for users.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #20
Suicane75
Coordinator

I've got a new machine coming pre loaded with 8.1. As someone still using XP, This thread has scared the crap out of me.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I use Classic Shell to turn my win8.1 into win7, basically. No more stupid tiles for this kid.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #22
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yeah, I just downloaded it. It'll be the first thing I do. Still ascared though.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #23
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Yeah, I just downloaded it. It'll be the first thing I do. Still ascared though.

Its really not that bad. Their default apps are dumb. So you want to make sure you change the default open programs so you don't full screen some awful PDF reader, for example. That + a shell program and you will really be fine.

A lot of people are just unhappy that Windows 8 comes with these things that you have to work around, and they're not wrong at all, its stupid and annoying. but once you deal with these things you will not have any problems.

There are actually Windows 8.1 advocates who say that if you take the time to learn keyboard shortcuts and learn how to use things instead of forcing it immediately to look like Windows 7, that they actually like it, as shipped, better than 7. I'm not one of those people, but they're out there.

Lastly, Classic Shell is free, but I didn't like it. I chose to pay $5 for Start8 instead (Stardock Corporation. So if Classic Shell doesn't seem like the right fit for you, start8 has a free trial.

Again, yeah its dumb that a ton of people chose to do these things to get around what Windows 8 tries to force you into, but once you get it set up it will all work great.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #24
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

Granted I haven't used WinShell in awhile, but I would strongly recommend paying the $5 for Start8. WinShell felt to me like a hacky addon, Start8 felt like part of the OS, very well done.

edit: Posted before I read Radii saying the same thing. Completely agree with him.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-09-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #25
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Edit: cause I'm dumb and misread things.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-09-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #26
Suicane75
Coordinator

Thanks guys, just downloaded Start8 too so they'll both be ready.

How easy is it to remove a lot of the bloatware or even just stuff I don't want, right out of the bat?
Old 11-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #27
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Like the Dell/Lenovo/HP pre-loaded garbage? I don't think that has much changed since the XP days.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #28
Dutch
"Dutch"

Trying to please a billion users or so must be hard.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #29
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sweet mother of mercy. Massive data dump from Microsoft today during the Windows 10 Preview Event.

For one, FREE upgrade to Windows 10 for all Windows 8.1 and 7 users.
Start button is back
IE will be no more. A new browser named Spartan will be the successor
Windows 10 will also power the Xbox One
Cortana will be available on PCs

This, and a lot more info is available at various tech spots on the web. Ars Technica has quite a bit of info already written up from today's event.

Ars at the Windows 10 event | Series | Ars Technica
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #30
Groundhog
Coordinator

Can it be.... I'm actually excited about a new version of Windows?!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #31
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Now, that's some serious rebranding. Getting rid of IE bad reputation is a fine move.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #32
Alf
Pro Starter

Spartan at ARS
Old 01-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #33
frnk55
High School Varsity

I love windows 7. Sticking with it as long as possible.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #34
RainMaker
General Manager

So if you have a computer with Windows 8, you'll be able to upgrade to 10 for free?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #35
Alf
Pro Starter

fwiw : my work computer has just been migrated from Win95 to Windows last september (and only because of a crashed disk). So, there's along way to go to get Windows 10
Old 01-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #36
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
I love windows 7. Sticking with it as long as possible.

+1
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sweet mother of mercy. Massive data dump from Microsoft today during the Windows 10 Preview Event.

For one, FREE upgrade to Windows 10 for all Windows 8.1 and 7 users.
Start button is back
Windows 10 will also power the Xbox One
Cortana will be available on PCs

This, and a lot more info is available at various tech spots on the web. Ars Technica has quite a bit of info already written up from today's event.

Ars at the Windows 10 event | Series | Ars Technica

Also, you will be able to stream Xbox games onto any device with Windows 10.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #38
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So if you have a computer with Windows 8, you'll be able to upgrade to 10 for free?

Yep. For up to 1 year after 10's release date.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #39
rjolley
College Starter

Has anyone heard if Remote Desktop Server will be available in the free Win10?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #40
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Now, that's some serious rebranding. Getting rid of IE bad reputation is a fine move.

Agree, every time I see someone has IE I shake my head, and I haven't used IE in maybe a decade, so it could be just as good as Firefox or Chrome I just have no idea.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #41
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Has anyone heard if Remote Desktop Server will be available in the free Win10?

They haven't said anything yet about different versions and what feature sets would be included. From what I understand, the free Win 10 upgrade will be to an equivalent of what the Win 7/8 install looks like.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #42
Groundhog
Coordinator

God I wish I didn't have to use IE. At my company we only just upgraded from 8 to 10 which at least means I'm able to browse most websites without a "sorry, your browser was designed during the Bronze Age" error.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #43
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm a Chrome guy but IE10 and 11 are pretty decent. And the 'metro' version on the Surface is by far the best touch-based browser I've used.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #44
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'd prefer the latest version of IE over Firefox. Though Chrome is my #1 choice.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #45
cartman
Death Herald

This looks amazing.

Hands-on: Microsoft’s HoloLens is flat-out magical | Ars Technica
Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #46
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WOW!

I heard about holo stuff, but hadn't actually seen anything on it. It's nice to see Microsoft innovating so much, with the Surface Pro, a cross platform OS, FREAKING HOLOLENS!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-22-2015 at 11:25 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I got the little Windows icon today that you click on to reserve your free upgrade. I'm a bit excited about W10 for free.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #48
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I got the little Windows icon today that you click on to reserve your free upgrade. I'm a bit excited about W10 for free.

MR, I had the icon show up too a couple of days ago. Clicking it only reserves a download? If so I'll do that. I was afraid that it would d'load and install itself before I was ready to make the move so haven't clicked on the icon yet. I'd like to wait for initial reports on compatibility with current programs I run before making the switch.

Thanks.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #49
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Where does the icon appear?

Nevermind: I found it

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-05-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #50
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Yeah, I have had the icon pop up on my Win 7 Desktop and my Surface 3 Pro.

Can't wait!