Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
LaStarza61
n00b

Video Gaming in this Modern World

My brother has a Playstation game called MLB The Show 16. I've played a few games with him and love it. It makes me want to buy my own Playstation gaming system and also purchase this game. My problem is that I have a very old 32 inch tube TV. It has a 4:3 viewing aspect ratio (or whatever that is called... (The screen is square shaped instead of rectangle shaped like modern flat screen TVs)). Would MLB The Show 16 work on a TV shaped like this? Would any game work on an older TV like this? Would the Playstation video gaming system even work at all on an old TV like this?

Technology seems to have passed me by. There was a time in the early days of personal home computers that I was the go-to guy when anyone had a question or problem concerning computers... the old 286s and 386s (remember those?)... but now I know almost nothing about computers. I don't even understand the whole concept of downloadable digital music and many other modern technologies. I suck!

LaStarza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #2
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

You could purchase a more modern TV for half the price of the playstation 4. You could likely make it work but you wouldnt get the high quality picture that really puts you inside the game.

Amazon.com: TCL 40FD2700 40-Inch 1080p LED TV (2015 Model): Electronics
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
wustin
College Prospect

You know since CRTs are analog the benefit of playing on one is that there is zero latency/lag.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:07 AM   #4
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Best Buy seems to have a PS4+TV combo on sale for a couple days every month or so.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:20 AM   #5
LaStarza61
n00b

From the feedback so far (and I do appreciate it), it sounds like it would be best to upgrade my TV if I want to get the most out of video gaming. The one that jbergey22 linked me to on Amazon looks like a pretty good deal. I don't recognize the brand, but it's getting some good reviews.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:35 AM   #6
CraigSca
Pro Starter

If the size of the screen doesn't matter, you could also hook up your
PS4 to a PC monitor. You can get lots of deals now for 23" monitors for about $100.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStarza61 View Post
From the feedback so far (and I do appreciate it), it sounds like it would be best to upgrade my TV if I want to get the most out of video gaming. The one that jbergey22 linked me to on Amazon looks like a pretty good deal. I don't recognize the brand, but it's getting some good reviews.

Im not really recommending that brand or anything like that. I just did a quick glance to find one around half of what the PS3 would be You can find all sorts of great deals on TVs throughout the year. Black Friday and Amazon Prime day if you can wait have even better deals on newer TVs.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You would want an HDTV to play a console on and honestly.. something 40" or so. (widescreen and HD would be a HUGE difference over 4:3 and SD)

I had a nice Sony TV that crapped out after 3 years and I went out and bought a Sceptre HDTV that was 5 inches bigger (52" vs 47") and cost 1/4 of the Sony TV ($500 vs $2000).

I've been extremely happy with it and the picture is great. Plus, moves and our xb1 look great on it. I've had it for a few years now and it's been great. (knock on wood)

SCEPTRE X405BV-F 40" LED Class 1080P HDTV with ultra slim metal brush bezel, 60Hz - Walmart.com

I linked to one for you that's only $200.. but if you want smaller/bigger, here is the lineup for Sceptre at Walmart.

TVs: LCD, LED, HDTV, 4K - Walmart.com

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-05-2016 at 09:28 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #9
LaStarza61
n00b

Lots of good information to chew on here! I really do appreciate it!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #10
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
You would want an HDTV to play a console on and honestly.. something 40" or so. (widescreen and HD would be a HUGE difference over 4:3 and SD)

I had a nice Sony TV that crapped out after 3 years and I went out and bought a Sceptre HDTV that was 5 inches bigger (52" vs 47") and cost 1/4 of the Sony TV ($500 vs $2000).

I've been extremely happy with it and the picture is great. Plus, moves and our xb1 look great on it. I've had it for a few years now and it's been great. (knock on wood)

SCEPTRE X405BV-F 40" LED Class 1080P HDTV with ultra slim metal brush bezel, 60Hz - Walmart.com

I linked to one for you that's only $200.. but if you want smaller/bigger, here is the lineup for Sceptre at Walmart.

How do you think the sound would be on the 40" you linked me to? Or would one have to buy additional equipment to get decent sound? I don't think I want to go as far as purchasing a surround sound system for it... and I'm sure my upstairs neighbor would be happy about that!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

We have a sceptre too and quite honestly it is just as good in my eyes as the more expensive TV's we have. Been very happy with this purchase.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:35 AM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
My brother has a Playstation game called MLB The Show 16. I've played a few games with him and love it. It makes me want to buy my own Playstation gaming system and also purchase this game. My problem is that I have a very old 32 inch tube TV. It has a 4:3 viewing aspect ratio (or whatever that is called... (The screen is square shaped instead of rectangle shaped like modern flat screen TVs)). Would MLB The Show 16 work on a TV shaped like this? Would any game work on an older TV like this? Would the Playstation video gaming system even work at all on an old TV like this?

A PS3 would. A PS4 would not.

PS4 is HDMI-only, and a 32" CRT would not have that input.

You'll get more from a widescreen flat-panel, both in terms of TV viewing and gaming, and you can get a 32" widescreen for under $200 these days.

But whether you make that jump depends on whether you're eyeing the PS3 or the PS4, and how important it is to you for the game to look as good as possible if you go with the PS3.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How do you think the sound would be on the 40" you linked me to? Or would one have to buy additional equipment to get decent sound? I don't think I want to go as far as purchasing a surround sound system for it... and I'm sure my upstairs neighbor would be happy about that!

Sound is fine from the TV. I only turn on surround sound when playing the playoffs in NHL 16.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
We have a sceptre too and quite honestly it is just as good in my eyes as the more expensive TV's we have. Been very happy with this purchase.

Fully agree.. it has a better picture than my Sony did. People come over and say.. what kind of TV is that? I'm like a $500 TV from Walmart..
Old 05-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #15
LaStarza61
n00b

I think I really want to buy that 40" SCEPTRE! The only thing holding me back from buying it right now is that I'm scheduled for major back surgery in 25 days and I don't know what the outcome will be. This will be my third 10+ hour surgery and I had to actually go to a nursing home for a whole month for rehab after the 2nd one last November. That one was 12 hours and five surgeons going in from my front and my back! (The way I figure it, I have been opened up a total of 22 hours, with 9 different human's hands inside of me.) Anyway, I digress! Maybe I should go ahead and buy it... that way I can look forward to watching it when I finally get back home!

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions! That is why I asked for advice in this forum... a lot of very knowledgeable guys here who always seem eager to help. And I'm not just blowin' smoke!
Old 05-07-2016, 12:25 AM   #16
21C
College Prospect

Good luck with the surgery - and your decision.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully all goes well with you and your surgery.

I hope you're happy with the Sceptre, if you look at the reviews, many people are.

Happy gaming!