Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Mac Software Question

Question for Mac users (or anyone that may not know).

Had a piece of software from 1998 that says Mac/PC. PC requirements were Windows 95 or 98. The Mac requirements aren't listed. For XP/Vista, I'm able to run it because I can just run it like I'm using 95/98.

How does the OS for Macs handle older software? Is it similar to Windows where you can emulate older OS's or for the most part, does it not matter?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

Is your Mac Intel or PPC based? That will be one factor that I can think of off the top of my head.

I know for our software, we had to put certain 'hooks' into the code in order for both PPC Macs and Intel based Macs to be able to use it.

Try and install it and see if it works

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Actually, I don't own the Mac.

Complete story is I sold a piece of software via Ebay that was PC/Mac from 1998. It didn't have any Mac requirements on it and I told the person interested in it that there was none listed, but the software was from 1998 so, was unsure if it would work or not.

They bought it knowing it might not work.. it didn't work so, they asked me why it didn't work.

Beats the hell out of me. (He mentioned they have both OS 9 & 10...)

I was just seeing if there was a way to make it work. Even though he didn't have a Mac, he didn't seem to computer savvy.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

If he has OS 9 I'm assuming it's a PPC.

Beyond that, I don't really know the answer.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Actually, I don't own the Mac.

Complete story is I sold a piece of software via Ebay that was PC/Mac from 1998. It didn't have any Mac requirements on it and I told the person interested in it that there was none listed, but the software was from 1998 so, was unsure if it would work or not.

They bought it knowing it might not work.. it didn't work so, they asked me why it didn't work.

Beats the hell out of me. (He mentioned they have both OS 9 & 10...)

I was just seeing if there was a way to make it work. Even though he didn't have a Mac, he didn't seem to computer savvy.

Ah, gotcha.

Yea, if they sound like they aren't too computer savvy, then, I would almost be hesitant to mention an emulator as that just may complicate the issue and that's if they could even find one to be able to run it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote