Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
Antmeister
Pro Starter

For all Roku owners!!!

Well it appears that Roku has announced the 10 channels that should appear on the device sometime over the next couple of days. What's pretty kick-ass is that they have basically opened up a Channel Store (like Apple's app store). And at the same time they are releasing an SDK for future developers to build other channels, which means that the user gets to decide what he/she wants to see.

Anyways, here's the Channel Store showcasing the current channels on Roku's site:
http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

And here is an article telling you how it will be setting this up once the update is available:
Hands on: Roku's updated Player software and new Channel Store | Entertainment & HDTV | Playlist | Macworld

Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Sounds sweet - I can't wait to check this out on my Roku Player. This device has turned out to be great return on the $100 I originally paid for it, as new features are continually rolled out.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Swaggs
Coordinator

I've been loving Roku and getting my money's worth.

Since we had the baby, I watch an episode of the Office on Roku each time that I feed him. 30 Rock is up next.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've been kicking around getting one for my bedroom TV. I'm just having a hard time justifying 99. I know that is cheap. Still just seems like too much for something which is still kind of limited.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would definitely recommend getting one if you spend much time watching DVDs (particularly of television shows). The selection from Netflix is still more limited than I would like, but I really enjoy watching past seasons of TV shows in big, quick chunks. Stuff like Friday Night Lights, Dexter, the Office, Lost, 30 Rock, etc. are all on there and the potential for a lot more cool features is there.

One thing I will mention is that I could not get it working with my Netgear router. It was several years old, so I ended up getting a Linksys and it has worked really well ever since.`
Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I've been kicking around getting one for my bedroom TV. I'm just having a hard time justifying 99. I know that is cheap. Still just seems like too much for something which is still kind of limited.

Well if you currently have an XBox or PS3 hooked up to the bedroom and you are mainly are going to use it for Netflix, then it may not be worth it.

But if you want the option of watching Major League Baseball, listen to Pandora occasionally, like Twit TV and Revision 3 and want to watch content off the video RSS feeds, it would be worth it. Because, in my opinion, just like the app store did for the iPhone, this has potential to have a lot of good and crap paid and free content that you get to choose from since they opened up their SDK to developers.

Last edited by Antmeister : 11-24-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Passacaglia
Coordinator

bump

I just got a roku, and installed it today. I'm pumped! I just installed pandora via the channel store, and activated my account, but I can't figure out how to activate a second account for lurker. Can that be done?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm a dummy, as I've tried and still can't figure out what the hell a Roku is.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Also, are you supposed to leave it on all the time? And if not, how do you turn it off?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JEbnWl8iz0
Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

I leave mine on all of the time.

It has a screen saver that comes on after a few minutes, but if there is a way to turn it off, I haven't figured it out (and have owned one for over a year).

We actually just got our Netflix Wii disc and hooked it up. It is pretty cool, but it seemed like it would only work with the disc in. Anyone know if you can just make a Netflix channel (and how to set one up, if possible) and use it w/o having to switch discs.?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Guys, check out the Kung-Fu Theater Channel. Only $1.99 a month but man, awesome stuff.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

UFC EXTENDS REACH WITH ROKU SET TOP STREAMING

UFC Vault and PPV's will be available on a new UFC Channel or something like that. Sweet.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

So I'm considering going the Netflix streaming route rather than buying endless streams of DVDs for past TV show seasons and movies that I'll watch only once. I've got a Wii, but that isn't in a room where I watch my videos, and the kids are always using that television. So, I'd like to be able to stream this to my HD set, and the Roku seems like the best way to do this.

How about using wireless as the connection? I'm looking at the $119 option with the pre-N wireless.

Is this a slam dunk acquisition?

Last edited by Glengoyne : 08-04-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I use wireless as the connection, the basic $80 one. During peak net times it gets a little slow some days, but usually seems fine.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
I hope they get Hulu.

Well it looks like it is going to happen. Hulu will be available for the Roku this Fall.

Hulu Plus coming to Roku

Amazing.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
PilotMan
Head Coach

That is fantastic news.

Like Steam?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #19
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Coming to the Tivo Premiere and Xbox 360 as well.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #20
Swaggs
Coordinator

damn... that is great news.

Might have to get an HD version at some point in the near future. Love the regular, but with Roku (presumably in HD, as well) available I can see using it a lot more with winter around the corner.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Coming to the Tivo Premiere and Xbox 360 as well.

As well as the PS3.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #22
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
damn... that is great news.

Might have to get an HD version at some point in the near future. Love the regular, but with Roku (presumably in HD, as well) available I can see using it a lot more with winter around the corner.

Well it is only currently at 720p for those that own the HD version as of now. In the near future a patch is supposed to update to for 1080p. On top of that they have introduced new models that include an updated remote. I have no idea what the extra buttons are supposed to do, but you can just purchase the remote for your current Roku.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The debate between 720p and 1080P has always been dumb. I.E. I'm unsatisfied fucking Katy Perry cause I can't fuck Natalie Portman.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #24
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Well it is only currently at 720p for those that own the HD version as of now. In the near future a patch is supposed to update to for 1080p. On top of that they have introduced new models that include an updated remote. I have no idea what the extra buttons are supposed to do, but you can just purchase the remote for your current Roku.

Interesting. I'm looking to get a universal remote that works with my Roku, so hopefully when I do that, I can program the new buttons somehow.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #25
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Wow...not a hockey fan, but they now have NHL on the Roku.

http://www.roku.com/nhl
Old 11-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #26
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Does anyone know if you can use roku to stream content from abc.com to the tv?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #27
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Wow...not a hockey fan, but they now have NHL on the Roku.

Cool, but wow, $169. It needs to be at least half that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Does anyone know if you can use roku to stream content from abc.com to the tv?

I don't think so, but since Hulu is coming on here soon, you can sign up for the 9.99/mo package and get the shows that way. Plus you get NBC and FOX shows. I can't wait, it's going to be worth it. Between that and instant play its great. All I need is CBS to make a stream available and I will be set for good.

Like Steam?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:36 AM   #28
Antmeister
Pro Starter

And now Hulu Plus is here and it also appears they have lowered their monthly charge to just $7.99 a month. Cool.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #29
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I just went and installed mine. Slightly more geeky set up than what I wanted, but not anything that was too hard. It was more annoying than anything. Navigation could be done a lot better. I kind of wished you were subscribed to the free channels from the start versus having to add them in. Still, I like it a lot so far.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #30
Autumn
Head Coach

Does the Roku allow you to play files from your home network?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #31
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Does the Roku allow you to play files from your home network?

Yes, but only through third party, non-official channels. And even then, its only certain formats of media. Roku Forums • View topic - Recommended local network streaming
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #32
Autumn
Head Coach

Thanks, Easy Mac.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #33
Peregrine
Pro Starter

My original Roku box that I've had for a few years is finally giving up the ghost I think - I'm having a terrible time getting it to pick up wireless signal - usually I can eventually get it to work after a cycle of up to 10 (!) reboots and resets, but if I don't use it for a couple of weeks, it goes back to the same state. I've already RMAed it once for a different problem so that isn't really an option. I'm thinking of going with AppleTV this time as it offers the same stuff I need, plus some additional stuff like iTunes rentals that I can see myself using, at around the same price.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #34
Butter
Coordinator

So, is there a way to turn it off?

I got one for my parents for Christmas, and can't figure it out. It's got a Home button and a back button, but no freakin' power button. Really, Roku?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #35
molson
General Manager

I picked this up a few weeks ago and am loving it so far. Connection is a little slow using clearwire internet, but its actually a lot faster than I expected - I thought I've have to upgrade my internet but I can hold off on that for a while longer.

Between Netflix/Hulu Plus/Roku - I would definitely be able to dump DirecTV if not for sports. Stupid sports. But this setup just definitely feels like the future of TV.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #36
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So, is there a way to turn it off?

I got one for my parents for Christmas, and can't figure it out. It's got a Home button and a back button, but no freakin' power button. Really, Roku?

I have always just thought of it like a computer that goes into sleep mode. I don't think I have turned mine off in 2 years.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #37
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I picked this up a few weeks ago and am loving it so far. Connection is a little slow using clearwire internet, but its actually a lot faster than I expected - I thought I've have to upgrade my internet but I can hold off on that for a while longer.

Between Netflix/Hulu Plus/Roku - I would definitely be able to dump DirecTV if not for sports. Stupid sports. But this setup just definitely feels like the future of TV.

Yep, sports. I have mapped out what i watch so many times and figured I am spending an additional $600-$700 for Directv just for sports. Maybe I should just go out to sports bars more?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #38
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I ended up replacing my much-loved Roku with an Apple TV last week - I enjoyed the Roku for two years but it had just become too flaky in terms of picking up wireless signal. The Apple device has less web content, which is okay with me since I only really watched Netflix, but I can now stream iTunes stuff down to my TV which is great - music when I'm reading, TV shows, or whatever. Good stuff so far.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #39
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I gave up DirecTV about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I was probably never as big a sports fan as the rest of FOFC, but it still hurts. It helps that I live in my "home" market so I get a large number of games on broadcast networks.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #40
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ah sports. At least I can watch espn3 for free. That helps. I will be watching something on my computer while we are watching a movie on netflix. Certainly better than nothing. I miss the big games, but the variety is certainly beneficial.

Like Steam?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #41
bob
College Starter

I recently got a Roku for Christmas, and I'm looking at dumping Direct TV in favor of Netflix and Hulu+. However, I've read that Hulu+ on Roku does not have all the content that Hulu+ on my PC has. Any truth to that? Any idea how I can check what is available and what isn't?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #42
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I recently got a Roku for Christmas, and I'm looking at dumping Direct TV in favor of Netflix and Hulu+. However, I've read that Hulu+ on Roku does not have all the content that Hulu+ on my PC has. Any truth to that? Any idea how I can check what is available and what isn't?

Yes, that's right. And there is some bleed over between what you get with Netflix and Hulu. I don't think that there is any master list to show what is and isn't available on the Roku.

Although, I am a plus subscriber and when I am logged in online, I can see on a show by show basis if an episode is available on various media. That really doesn't help you to decide, so I am going to say that subscribing is going to be your best bet to get the real answer.

Like Steam?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #43
bob
College Starter

Yeah, I know i can do a free week and try it out, but I was just curious if anyone knew about some master list.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #44
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Has nothing to do with the Roku. There is just a general difference between Hulu and Hulu Plus. What you see online on Hulu can only be displayed on a PC. Hulu Plus is content that can be displayed on both. So, of course there a lot of shows that are PC only. The advantage of Hulu Plus is that for those shows that are available, you can usually watch one or more seasons rather than the last 3 or 4 episodes.

Here is a list of Hulu Plus content:
Hulu+
Old 01-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #45
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Now if there is a show that you want to watch that is only available on vanilla Hulu, the most convenient way to get it is if you already own an XBox, PS3 or Wii. If this is the case, you can get PlayOn to run on your computer and then you can watch your internet content through that device.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #46
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I went with Apple TV, and have been very happy with the iTunes and Netflix addition to my television. Now if only Netflix would invest in expanding their steaming content.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #47
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Has nothing to do with the Roku. There is just a general difference between Hulu and Hulu Plus. What you see online on Hulu can only be displayed on a PC. Hulu Plus is content that can be displayed on both. So, of course there a lot of shows that are PC only. The advantage of Hulu Plus is that for those shows that are available, you can usually watch one or more seasons rather than the last 3 or 4 episodes.

Here is a list of Hulu Plus content:
Hulu+

There are a few shows that are avaiable on Hulu Plus through the internet, but not Hulu Plus on Roku.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #48
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
There are a few shows that are avaiable on Hulu Plus through the internet, but not Hulu Plus on Roku.

Tell me which shows you are talking about, because, unless they have a Plus symbol, they are not supposed to show up on your TV. And like I said before, this has nothing to do with the Roku. This occurs on any device with Hulu Plus (and I have the same amount of shows on both the PS3 and Roku).

Last edited by Antmeister : 01-11-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #49
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Tell me which shows you are talking about, because, unless they have a Plus symbol, they are not supposed to show up on your TV. And like I said before, this has nothing to do with the Roku. This occurs on any device with Hulu Plus (and I have the same amount of shows on both the PS3 and Roku).

The one I remember (now you're going to make me I admit I watched it), is the Apprentice. I could watch it on my PC via my Hulu Plus account, but if I tried to pull it up on Roku (where it showed up in the list of shows), I got a message, "sorry, we don't have the proper license to show this via this medium" (or whatever.)

Edit: After researching it, Roku can stream the "Hulu Plus" content, but not the regular free "Hulu" content. Which I think is what you were talking about. I just assumed that Hulu Plus was Hulu, plus other stuff. But apparently there's not complete overlap.

Last edited by molson : 01-11-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #50
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Edit: After researching it, Roku can stream the "Hulu Plus" content, but not the regular free "Hulu" content. Which I think is what you were talking about. I just assumed that Hulu Plus was Hulu, plus other stuff. But apparently there's not complete overlap.

Yep that is what most people assume Hulu Plus to mean and that is why I hate the fact that they call it Hulu Plus. It should have been named Hulu TV or something similar to avoid confusion.