Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

Split up into divisions?

Has there been any talk of splitting up each of the leagues into divisions? I think this would be a good idea for the league for a number of reasons.

1. More teams in playoffs means more people are happy. More important it means more teams should have a win now attitude which is always more fun in an online league.

2. It could create better rivalries.

3. New GMs with a tough rebuild in front of them right now are probably having a difficult time keeping interest. If they could focus their attention on the three other teams in the division, maybe they would remain interested.

Any thoughts?

graygoose12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

I do think we need to wait until we have a bigger set of owners though. We can't have divisions with only 2 humans and 2 AI guys.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well we'd only go to two divisions in each league, if we did it. Nothing else would ever fly around here, I don't think. Umm...right now, we have 4 AI teams. 2 in the CL (New York and El Paso) and 2 in the RL (Compton and Texas)

So that'd effectively be one AI team in each division or could be aligned that way. We've talked about it as inevitability at some point and I for one, know it'd be huge for getting more people interested/involved during the season.

But I also like the idea of being better than the whole league and the competitiveness of the playoffs with the two best teams facing off.

But yeah, we've got to have this in the future. Maybe sometime by 1980 when we're inducing our first Hall of Fame class.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am all for this I think now, in the future. I have been for waiting until the 70 are near over for many a thing and say it for this as well. Really it isn't that far away now.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am pretty old school, and one of my favorite things about this leagues is the two larger RL and CL with their champs facing off in the offseason.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Shut up dynasty boy.

I agree a little actually. It is part of the reason I want to put it off, trying to do both because I see things I like about both.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Shut up dynasty boy.

I agree a little actually. It is part of the reason I want to put it off, trying to do both because I see things I like about both.

To be fair, the last time this came up, I believe you were busy winning the FOOL Classic while I was in a distant third place but I still felt the same

It just makes the pennant races that much more exciting to me right now knowing that each year I have to contend with you or Atlanta or New York or so on to even get out of the CL. It would be a much low keyed experience if I only had half the people to compete against I feel.

Believe it or not, one of my favorite FOOL seasons so far was 1969 when I finished with the best hypothetical Pyth. Record in all of baseball, and was in a pennant race until the last week of the season, only to end up losing by 2 games. If every season was like that, I'd absolutely love that. Going to divisions makes it less likely that would happen I feel is all.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I think it would be wise to add a playoff team to keep some owners interested. I personally like the challenge of trying to be the one team that is able to find success.

However I think the better way to go around this is just making it the top two teams in each league going for the championship in a 7 game series before the classic. This is short enough to allow for an upset but long enough to make it hard to accomplish.

The problem I have with division's is there will always be a strong one and a weak one and if we are going to include a second team I think it should be a team that has a legitimate shot at winning the series rather then a team that may have its record just because of the cupcake schedule they faced.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

Even though I was the one to bring it up this time, I also like the idea of keeping with the bigger leagues, no divisions.

I just wanted to throw the idea out there to see what people think.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Believe it or not, one of my favorite FOOL seasons so far was 1969 when I finished with the best hypothetical Pyth. Record in all of baseball, and was in a pennant race until the last week of the season, only to end up losing by 2 games. If every season was like that, I'd absolutely love that. Going to divisions makes it less likely that would happen I feel is all.

What a coincidence, that was also my favorite season
Old 08-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

It was a great season, no doubt. Like I said, I like parts of both ways. 30 games out is the same in an 8 team league or 4 team division so it's not really based on my own chances either.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It was a great season, no doubt. Like I said, I like parts of both ways. 30 games out is the same in an 8 team league or 4 team division so it's not really based on my own chances either.

I think it is close but not the same. I mean depending how the divisions were one could be 30 games out and in 4th place in an 8 team league but be in the playoffs because they played an easier schedule or the same and were just in a different division they would be in the playoffs. That is why I like no divisions because then it is always the same.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

One alternative to divisions is simply allowing wild card teams into the playoffs. Now that OOTP supports custom playoffs, we could simply ensure the top two teams from each league make the playoffs, by setting them up that way. So we wouldn't have to have divisions. And if we got more owners someday and wanted to go to a "gasp" 3-round playoff, we could do that too with the top 4 teams in each league making a playoff.

It's all possible now without divisions, so...that's comforting too.

They could still be awarded "Division Championships" for simply making the CLCS or RLCS respectively. Or if you want, dreaded Wild Card banners could be raised. In past leagues, I usually refer to the Wild Card champions as "Presidents Division" champions, effectively saying the League President awarded them a berth to the playoffs. The regular season champ could be called the Continental/Republic Division champion. If those things matter to people.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-26-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
muns
Pro Starter

I used to be for this, as I wanted to see more team in the playoffs, but for my own selfish reasons I like it how it is now.

Id like to be able to say I won the RL and then won the Fool classic, like everyone else...... Being able to say hey I was the wildcard and then the classic winner doesnt have that nice ring to it. Plus you cant be matched up against the great St Louis or Valdosta teams.

If it went to a vote id prob be different cause the league comes first, but thats how id like to keep it. Im going for that bar thats been set, and im no where near it.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
One alternative to divisions is simply allowing wild card teams into the playoffs. Now that OOTP supports custom playoffs, we could simply ensure the top two teams from each league make the playoffs, by setting them up that way. So we wouldn't have to have divisions. And if we got more owners someday and wanted to go to a "gasp" 3-round playoff, we could do that too with the top 4 teams in each league making a playoff.

It's all possible now without divisions, so...that's comforting too.

I'm not sure yet if I have actually ever gone into how little I dislike wildcards in baseball. If anyone is ever bored and want to subscribe to that rant, just let me know and I will share it with you!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
I used to be for this, as I wanted to see more team in the playoffs, but for my own selfish reasons I like it how it is now.

Id like to be able to say I won the RL and then won the Fool classic, like everyone else...... Being able to say hey I was the wildcard and then the classic winner doesnt have that nice ring to it. Plus you cant be matched up against the great St Louis or Valdosta teams.

If it went to a vote id prob be different cause the league comes first, but thats how id like to keep it. Im going for that bar thats been set, and im no where near it.

Well, if it's any consolation from 1961-1963, we had playoffs. The top 2 teams in each league made the playoffs. St. Louis won three league titles after having won a playoff series in each year just to get to the Classic. So there is a precedent for it in our history, at least.

But of course, there was a crapshoot year when Worcester upset Charleston in '63 to get to the Classic, before getting swept by St. Louis and it was a pretty lame series since Worcester had NO business being in the Classic. But I think with the teams we have, even a 2nd place team here is good enough to where no one would think "illegitimate title team."
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To be fair, the last time this came up, I believe you were busy winning the FOOL Classic while I was in a distant third place but I still felt the same

Yeah, the only thing the same between then and now is I am still losing the FOOL Classic.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

For the sake of the interest of the rest of the RL, I say we include a wildcard team. That way, every team there has something to aspire to.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
For the sake of the interest of the rest of the RL, I say we include a wildcard team. That way, every team there has something to aspire to.

So you think the era for Compton's dynasty is about to begin then?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
So you think the era for Compton's dynasty is about to begin then?

Hmm...maybe I should go back and finish what I started...
Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #21
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Hmm...maybe I should go back and finish what I started...

Who are you? Billy martin???

Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Who are you? Billy martin???

Hahaha...I'm not going back. On the downturn of that dynasty over there. If Jimmy hadn't broken them up so bad, it'd be different, but...too much of my work was unraveled, so..I'll just stay in the mess I've got now. It's way more familiar for now.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #23
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am thinking we need to lock you into a team until the 80's at the least DC.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I am thinking we need to lock you into a team until the 80's at the least DC.

I'm in QCY for the long haul.

Note, I didn't saw how long a long haul was...
Old 08-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #25
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

A long haul in trucking terms is about 1500+ miles to me, which is only a couple days of driving.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:53 AM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A long haul in trucking terms is about 1500+ miles to me, which is only a couple days of driving.

lol...really, there couldn't have been a worse person on this whole board for you to say that to, DC.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
lol...really, there couldn't have been a worse person on this whole board for you to say that to, DC.

Oh I know. It was awesome.