Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Need some help from a handyman

Ok guys...

I'm moving out of my apartment in a week and the other day the front door's deadbolt jammed. I got a new one, started to put the rest of the door back together, and now i'm stuck.

Basically, the outside part of the door is working okay. But then, I put the screws on to keep the outside part stable and in place, and then went to put the inside part of the knob on and i have no idea what to do. The thing is, there are no screws the go in from "outside" the mechanism, besides the two that keep the metal plate in place on the slim side of the door.

To keep the outside half of the knob on, there is a circular peice of metal that has 5 holes. There is one large circular hole in the middle, where the long metal peice goes through. There are two smaller holes to the right and left where the screws go through, and then there are two small rectangular holes, where two pieces of metal jut out of the inside half of the knob.

So I know that this circular piece of metal is used to somehow hold the inside knob in place, but I can't figure out how to get it to stay on. I put on the inside knob and it kind if just pops off.

Any help would be great, sorry about the awful explanation. I don't know any of the names for these pieces.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

here are two pictures which hopefully will help you understand what I was saying. Here is one of the circular metal thing that is now in place in the door. All I have now is the doorknob itself....

This is the bottom of the inside half of the doorknob. These two pieces attatch to each other. They must slide in place or something, but I've tried just about everything and nothing has worked.

Thanks again. Please help!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

This is a gaming forum. No one here is handy with tools.

This should be a poll, just so we would be able to chronicle our ineptitude.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Yea, well I was hoping someone here recently installed a doorknob like this. It shouldn't be this difficult!
Old 05-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Swaggs
Coordinator

At the risk of stating the obvious here: It looks like the inside base of the doorknob has "teeth" in inside it and that the piece that fits inside has notches for those teeth. I also notice that the inner piece looks like it his holes for the screws, so I am guessing it goes on the inside with the other knob that has screws (you don't want to screw through the base of the exterior, as then someone could just unscrew the knob and break in).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
At the risk of stating the obvious here: It looks like the inside base of the doorknob has "teeth" in inside it and that the piece that fits inside has notches for those teeth. I also notice that the inner piece looks like it his holes for the screws, so I am guessing it goes on the inside with the other knob that has screws (you don't want to screw through the base of the exterior, as then someone could just unscrew the knob and break in).

Your damn right it looks like it obviously fits in. But it just doesn't work. I have tried it for the entire day, trying to get it to stay. The thing is, it fits, but then as soon as you pull it it just comes right off.

As for the holes, they do look like screwholes in the picture, but they aren't. They are just holes in the gold metal part, but no hole underneath.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
Flasch186
Coordinator

alright, cursorily there should be two very long screws that go all the way from the outside handle through the opening to stick out on the inside of the door. These two screws you may have to screw in to the "bottom" of the outside half, through the hole. The two longest screws.

The top half of the above picture should attach, with the teeth to the bottom picture. Then the holes that look curved, not the square ones, are where the heads of the two screws enter, a twist the opposite direction from the base of the knob, not the twisty part, should twist that shell into place "somewhat locking" the screws into place by sliding along the 2 holes tracks.

I believe in the top pic below the two longest screws are already in the exterior half of the knob....you can see the 2 smaller arms sticking out on both sides of the core of the knob.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 05-26-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
Flasch186
Coordinator

some clarifications:

Step two is different in that a plate is slipped over the preinstalled and aligned screws. Twist the plate into locking position and tighten the screws.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 05-26-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

i have put on a knob like this, not sure if it is the same... But with the one's I've done- you simply put it on...and turn it a little bit, and it holds in place that way.

If it keeps falling off, make sure none of the parts are broken that would be holding it in place.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

dola- what he said
Old 05-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #11
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
alright, cursorily there should be two very long screws that go all the way from the outside handle through the opening to stick out on the inside of the door. These two screws you may have to screw in to the "bottom" of the outside half, through the hole. The two longest screws.

The top half of the above picture should attach, with the teeth to the bottom picture. Then the holes that look curved, not the square ones, are where the heads of the two screws enter, a twist the opposite direction from the base of the knob, not the twisty part, should twist that shell into place "somewhat locking" the screws into place by sliding along the 2 holes tracks.

I believe in the top pic below the two longest screws are already in the exterior half of the knob....you can see the 2 smaller arms sticking out on both sides of the core of the knob.

Thanks, but I've done all of that already. That weird looking thing with all the holes is on the door, screwed on. My problem is with the other knob, which should just be popped on to it

as you can see, that thing is now on. There are little teeth sticking out, and it fits into the door, but I can't get it to lock on. That's where I'm stuck.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 05-27-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #12
Flasch186
Coordinator

it doesnt just pop on, you have to put it on then while pressing slightly, turn the knob unit to the left. There should be some stuff on the inside of it that lines up with the stuff on that metal bracket you have in the pic above.

y'know what else may be wrong.....you might have that bracket there installed backwards. try flipping it around and trying that so its in the same position just flipped so that side I see there is on the inside of the hole. just a thought.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Its kind of a blurry picture, but Flasch is right. It might be backwards. Where your screws go in should go in, and it looks like yours poke out. Also, check the inside of the knob, and make sure all the "teeth" to hold it are there, and none are bent off...or broken. I have bought a broken door knob before.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #14
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You accidentally purchased a metric door knob, return it and get the English standard one.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote