Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2006, 02:48 AM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Angry Am I just an idiot?

I know that I set myself up with that one.

I just feel like venting. Management at my company is on some kick about making everyone work extra hours, saying that's what "great" companies do. Yet morale is at an all time low and we are working extra hours because of product mismanagement. We have no sense of accomplishment at all when the days are done.

While I was in India for three weeks at the office there I was working on just one large project and working hands on with the team. I put in big time hours and had no problem with it because I felt like I was getting something accomplished. I could see a great improvement in the team's morale and understanding of what we were looking to accomplish. I would go over there again in a heart beat to work in that office under those conditions.

As soon as I get back, before my PC has even booted up, I get called into a meeting and handed a bunch of other work to get done. I now have to juggle several different things as well as the major project that I am on with the team from Chennai (the Indian office). I now have about 50 hours worth of work that I need to get done by Monday morning and management acts like I am some sort of rebel by calling them on it.

Am I crazy or are they putting the cart before the horse? I see companies that are "great" as ones who actually promote a healthy work environment and allow their people to have a sense of accomplishment and like their work. That generally ties into the employees working the extra hours most of the time and not because they are given random URGENT deadlines that are completely artificial and meant to only force people to work 18 hours a day.

Is it too much to ask to want to have a job where I can actually have a sense of accomplishment instead of a pending stress induced heart attack?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:53 AM   #2
Coder
College Prospect

"Great companies" are only interested in the "current", not the future. I've had it up to here with the attitudes of my company lately and I can see the same things you do about morale.

Their greatest idea seems to be: "Don't fix now what you can fix later".. for example, to get a new more ergonamically correct desk, you have to have a doctor's note saying you need one.. How about we try to PREVENT needing a doctor's note? Or another example, why allocate funds to secure a steady stream of income over the next years when it will nag a bit on this year's profits when we can avoid spending the money now and see our business evaporate in a few years.. brilliant thinking!!

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

no, youre not an idiot.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
Or another example, why allocate funds to secure a steady stream of income over the next years when it will nag a bit on this year's profits when we can avoid spending the money now and see our business evaporate in a few years.. brilliant thinking!!

Do we work for the same company?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Do we work for the same company?

Hello FMC!

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Ironhead
College Prospect

Shhh...the carpeted walls are listening.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
SunDevil
College Prospect

Read this:

It will answer your questions.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Great-Com...e=UTF8&s=books
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
Shepp
High School Varsity

Problems like these are why I'm convinced that I need to go into business for myself. I just can't think of anything that I would enjoy putting that much time and effort into and make enough income.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote