Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
digamma
Torchbearer

Put Leicester City in Context

I wanted to pull something out of the soccer thread because I think it's an interesting discussion.

A lot of the focus on Leicester City's surprise win of the Premiere League is on their 5000-1 odds at the beginning of the season, and based on that it being a once in a lifetime thing.

The odds are compelling for sure, but I'm struggling to place it in context because it is a season long affair. It isn't Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson on his one good night. It isn't Villanova shooting 67% to beat Georgetown. Or the Giants beating the Patriots.

When we think of great upsets, they're usually single event affairs, which we can blame on the variance of outcomes with a one time thing. But the Premiere League is 38 games (36 of which have been played) and Leicester City has lost 3 times. While it's obviously still a small sample size, it's not a single event anymore. When you read about how the team was put together, it reads like something just short of The Replacements, with Keanu stepping in to score the winning goal after a pint at the pub with his long lost uncle.

The season that popped into my head was the 1991 baseball season where the Twins and Braves both went from worst to first and played a fantastic world series. No idea what the odds were there, and maybe the odds shouldn't be the focus.

So, discuss. In what context can you place Leicester City?

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I wanted to pull something out of the soccer thread because I think it's an interesting discussion.

A lot of the focus on Leicester City's surprise win of the Premiere League is on their 5000-1 odds at the beginning of the season, and based on that it being a once in a lifetime thing.

The odds are compelling for sure, but I'm struggling to place it in context because it is a season long affair. It isn't Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson on his one good night. It isn't Villanova shooting 67% to beat Georgetown. Or the Giants beating the Patriots.

When we think of great upsets, they're usually single event affairs, which we can blame on the variance of outcomes with a one time thing. But the Premiere League is 38 games (36 of which have been played) and Leicester City has lost 3 times. While it's obviously still a small sample size, it's not a single event anymore. When you read about how the team was put together, it reads like something just short of The Replacements, with Keanu stepping in to score the winning goal after a pint at the pub with his long lost uncle.

The season that popped into my head was the 1991 baseball season where the Twins and Braves both went from worst to first and played a fantastic world series. No idea what the odds were there, and maybe the odds shouldn't be the focus.

Closest to 3000-1 with actual odds (stolen from an ESPN insider article)...

2013 Auburn Football (1000-1) Didn't win not sure why in article. I guess because they were less than a minute from winning?
2011 St. Louis Cardinals (999-1) This was late in the season when they were 4.5 games out of the wild card with 15 games left
1987 Twins (500-1) Highest actual opening odds.

Last edited by panerd : 05-03-2016 at 09:09 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

VCU was something like 820-1 to reach the Final Four in 2011 according to Nate Silver... and that was at the beginning of the tournament, not before the season started.

Villanova also would've been about 800-1 to win the '85 title before the tournament itself started.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
MIJB#19
Coordinator

1.FC Kaiserslautern won the 1.Bundesliga in the 1997/1998 season, a season after promotion back to the top level in German soccer. Although the context is slightly different, as Kaiserslautern finished 4th just three season earlier and won the DFB Pokal two seasons earlier. Their relegation in the 1996/1997 season was basically the oddity in that timeframe.

Coincidentally also in the 1997/1998 season, RC Lens won their first and so far only French soccer championship, a season after a 13th place finish.

In the 2011/2012 Ligue 1, Montpelier HSC won their first and so far only French soccer championship. This came a season after finishing 14th, just 3 points above the relegation zone.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

Thanks MIJB. Yeah, I'm less interested in comparing the odds to other situations, but maybe that is our only objective marker. I'm more interested in the story here.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm not sure you can put it in context with American sports. I posted this in the soccer thread back in February:

Quote:
In the Premier League era (1992+), the following teams have won the league: Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City.

Also in that time frame, the following teams have finished 2nd or 3rd (if not listed above): Aston Villa, Norwich City, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Newcastle United, Leeds United.

In the OMG MONEY era (following Abramovich's purchase of Chelsea in 2003), the following teams have won the league: Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea.

Also in that time frame, the following teams have finished 2nd or 3rd (if not listed above): Liverpool

Of the basically 5 consistently realistic contenders (being generous to Liverpool here), 2 have mogul owners and 1 is a commercial juggernaut.

The NFL, NHL and NBA have salary caps and league setups designed to create parity, so they're a world away from the free market that is European soccer. In theory the MLB's free market would be closest and we could offer the example of, say, the Oakland A's winning a World Series when surrounded by financial juggernauts like the Yankees, Red Sox, etc....

But there have been 11 separate WS winners since 1992 (see above). Plus, the playoff system to win throws off the analogy.

If you changed the metric to most wins in a season, then since 1992 it looks like 10 MLB teams have "won the league" (note: I may have miscounted by 1 or 2). It's kind of closer, but not really.

The thing is that unlike American sports, it's absolutely possible to buy success, especially league success in Europe's "Big Five" leagues. You can buy league success through a combination of a) having better players at most/every system with a true global star or two sprinkled in and b) buying sufficient depth to make it through the season without dipping substantially in form.

It's this way that the system is stacked against teams without those resources (and let's be clear, Leicester spent 100M to assemble their squad, but even that amount is dwarfed by the "usual suspects"). If Jamie Vardy breaks his leg in December and is out for the rest of the year, Leicester don't win the league. If Sergio Aguero breaks his leg in December, Man City could, if they wished, go out in January and buy a direct replacement for 50M.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
The Jackal
Coordinator

I don't think there is a comparable. This is unprecedented.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
Easy Mac

Just for major league baseball, since 1992 (the start of the premier league) every major league team has finished among the top 4 at the end of the season (based on my counting, it finally happened last year thanks to the cubs and royals)
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Understood, digamma. No desire to derail the discussion. Looking around and digging in memory, these oddities are happening more often than the odds that were given. 5000-1 is still a bit too steep for my liking. Bookmakers should know better based on past events. They must have forgotten Nottingham Forest and it's unique results between 1977 and 1979, going from newly promoted to league champions, to European Cup winners.

We also need to look at the bigger picture in the English Premier League. The favorites going into the season all struggled during the season. Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United were all playing below their standards of recent seasons.

Right now, the Leicester City fairy tale has the likelihood of continuing as the Lens and Montpellier stories. This could be just one freak season for this team/club. Chances are the key players will be snatched away by the big money clubs, or the players will collapse next season with the additional attention, Champions' League pressure, etc. I hope not, Cinderella stories are great, but the odds are not in their favor.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
nol
Banned

Is there a good 'explainer' type of article for this season? Team construction, history, tactics, development, whatever - just looking for something less dry than Wikipedia.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #11
Easy Mac

*fixing my math, since Mon/Was are really the same. Further inspection shows the Rockies have not finished in the top 4, so they are the worst team over the past 25 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Just for major league baseball, since 1992 (the start of the premier league) every major league team has finished among the top 4 at the end of the season (based on my counting, it finally happened last year thanks to the cubs and royals)

Just to expand on my work:

Code:
1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 atl atl mon cle cle atl nyy atl sf sea nyy nyy stl stl nym bos laa nyy phi phi was bos laa stl pit sf nyy atl atl bal atl ari chw oak oak atl nyy chw nyy cle chc laa tb nyy cin stl bal pit tor phi atl bos nyy nyy hou nyy atl nyy atl sf bos laa min laa tb lad nyy tex nyy atl was chc oak tor chw cin sd fla sd hou stl hou laa oak atl nyy det nyy bos bos min mil sf oak lad kc win top4 ari 0 1 atl 4 13 bal 0 2 bos 2 6 chc 0 2 chw 0 3 cin 0 2 cle 2 3 det 0 1 fla 0 1 hou 0 3 kc 0 1 laa 2 6 lad 0 2 mil 0 1 min 0 2 mon 1 1 nym 1 1 nyy 4 16 oak 0 5 phi 2 3 pit 0 2 sd 0 2 sea 1 1 sf 1 4 stl 3 5 tb 0 2 tex 0 1 tor 0 2 was 1(2) 2(3)

So the closest MLB has to Leicester City right now is the 2001 Seattle Mariners or 2006 Mets. The Braves and the Yankees are essentially Man U and Chelsea, with the Angles, Red Sox and Cardinals Man City, Arsenal and I guess Liverpool.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 05-03-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
bhlloy
Coordinator

I was thinking about this last night, and the only US major league comparable I could come up with would be an expansion team winning it all in their first season in the NBA/NHL. I don't know if that's a great comparison but it's the best I could come up with.

Other than that, I would guess from the odds it is somewhat comparable to a not particularly fancied team from a minor conference winning the NCAA tourney
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #13
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

North Vietnam over USA?
Old 05-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
rowech
Pro Starter

It's a AAA baseball team winning the World Series in its second major league season.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #15
digamma
Torchbearer

So, I think pre-wild card MLB is probably the closest comparison we have in the US.

And I go back to the 1991 season. The Twins in 1990 were maybe an aberration. They had won the World Series in 1987 and been a decent team throughout the 80s.

The Braves on the other hand were cellar dwellers since 1984, with horrible, horrible teams. And the offseason acquisitions were Terry Pendleton, Otis Nixon and Sid Bream. Not exactly earth shattering. Who knew Pendleton would be the rock of the team and have an MVP season? There were glimmers of hope in the pitching staff. Glavine had been ok on bad teams, but I don't think anyone thought they would really gel like the did.

And to MIJB's point, this was really the launching pad for what became the Braves dynasty of the 90s. No one knew that going in. I mean, heck, the Braves were about .500 and 9 games back at the All Star break.

Of course, the Twins edged them out in the end, but maybe that's the closest thing we have in terms of a story. Core group of unproven youngsters supplemented by a random group of role players who somehow came together over the course of a season to be a really good team.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
General Mike
Pro Starter

1991 Braves are the team that jumped out to me when I read the original post. They had lost 402 games over the previous 4 seasons, so it wasn't like they were a team who had come back from a down year. They got a career year from Terry Pendleton. Young pitching came to the forefront.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #17
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
So, I think pre-wild card MLB is probably the closest comparison we have in the US.

And I go back to the 1991 season. The Twins in 1990 were maybe an aberration. They had won the World Series in 1987 and been a decent team throughout the 80s.

The Braves on the other hand were cellar dwellers since 1984, with horrible, horrible teams. And the offseason acquisitions were Terry Pendleton, Otis Nixon and Sid Bream. Not exactly earth shattering. Who knew Pendleton would be the rock of the team and have an MVP season? There were glimmers of hope in the pitching staff. Glavine had been ok on bad teams, but I don't think anyone thought they would really gel like the did.

And to MIJB's point, this was really the launching pad for what became the Braves dynasty of the 90s. No one knew that going in. I mean, heck, the Braves were about .500 and 9 games back at the All Star break.

Of course, the Twins edged them out in the end, but maybe that's the closest thing we have in terms of a story. Core group of unproven youngsters supplemented by a random group of role players who somehow came together over the course of a season to be a really good team.

Yeah, the Twins had some building blocks for sure, but it was still a remarkable season. The team won 74 games the year before and their top 2 off season signings were both reclamation projects. (Jack Morris and Chili Davis)

The '87 Twins team was incredibly lucky to have even been in the playoffs. The '91 version was a terrific team and deserved their success. The Braves were the bigger story.

The amazing thing is that the World Series that year was two teams who finished in last place playing for it all.

I can't think of an American story similar to Leicester. Single game stuff? Nah.

The absolute closest thing I can come up with will actually be a surprise to most of you.

The 2001 New England Patriots. The 2000 Patriots finished 5-11. In 2001 they started off 0-2 and their franchise QB was drilled in game two with the offense being handed over to a 6th round draft choice from the year before. They go 12-4 and upset the Rams in the Super Bowl to start their dynasty.

Nobody expected that team to win the title. Nobody figured that QB or that team would follow it up with 6 more Super Bowls in the next 15 years.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #18
MIJB#19
Coordinator

If you're looking for an NFL equivalent, without knowing what is (or then was) to come, I think the 1999 St. Louis Rams qualify as similar, going from 4-12 (and 9 seasons without playoffs) to winning the Super Bowl or the 1981 San Francisco 49ers, that went from 6-10 (and 8 seasons without playoffs) to winning the Super Bowl. The biggest difference is that these NFL franchises had a bit more success before, unlike Leicester City. But in return, the competition in the NFL is different, with more teams on the same level of competition (31 and 28 top level teams with these two teams), yet there are no minor leagues to promote from in previous seasons.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #19
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The absolute closest thing I can come up with will actually be a surprise to most of you.

The 2001 New England Patriots. The 2000 Patriots finished 5-11. In 2001 they started off 0-2 and their franchise QB was drilled in game two with the offense being handed over to a 6th round draft choice from the year before. They go 12-4 and upset the Rams in the Super Bowl to start their dynasty.

Nobody expected that team to win the title. Nobody figured that QB or that team would follow it up with 6 more Super Bowls in the next 15 years.
I too thought of the Patriots, but in comparison the two I mentioned above, they were just 2 seasons without the playoffs and did reach the Super Bowl only 5 seasons earlier.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

There's just no American context that makes as much sense. Leicester won League One in 2009 and seven years later won the ENTIRE PREMIER LEAGUE.

Their leading scorer was several years ago playing semi-pro.

It's a fucking movie or basically every dynasty I've ever written where I take over an underdog and then win a title and it feels unrealistic.

But my parallel are the 1995 New Jersey Devils.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-03-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #21
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I was thinking about this last night, and the only US major league comparable I could come up with would be an expansion team winning it all in their first season in the NBA/NHL. I don't know if that's a great comparison but it's the best I could come up with.

This is actually one of the better examples I've heard.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm somewhat amazed (no pun intended) that the 1969 Mets haven't been mentioned. Expansion team in 1962 and absolutely horrible until 1969 when they incredibly won the NL and then the World Series over the heavily favored Baltimore Orioles.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #23
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Like bhlloy, I don't think there is an American equivalent. I told my son that I believe it would be like a college football team playing in Division II. A few years ago (e.g., northwest mo state) winning the FBS playoffs.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #24
AlexB
Pro Starter

Although I'm not entirely objective on the matter, I don't think there is an equivalent in the sports I know a bit about (which in the US is only football, so i may not know examples in the MLB/NBA/NHL, although I would guess MLB might have a closest example given the different salary cap?)

To put it into context, one of the UK bookies was on the radio today saying that they had never paid out a single 5000-1 bet until this one in any field, not just sport. I think it is unprecedented in the modern era.

The only example I know that is comparable is Nottingham Forest in 1978 winning the league in their first season after winning the old Division 2 (back when the leagues were named properly!). But the whole football system was very different then, much more even financially and on the field, and there were regularly 'surprise' second place finishers and below.

What Forest went on to do by winning two European Cups afterwards will also never be repeated, again partly because the current CL format makes it nigh on impossible. But that three year cycle for Forest was outstanding.

Other examples mooted such as Buster Douglas, John Daly, Greece, even Boris Becker at Wimbledon were all amazing, but over much shorter cycles and more understandable.

Leicester's title win was over nine months, and in fact the form has held over 13 months, which is not supposed to happen.

Last edited by AlexB : 05-03-2016 at 11:55 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #25
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
There's just no American context that makes as much sense. Leicester won League One in 2009 and seven years later won the ENTIRE PREMIER LEAGUE.

It's a fucking movie or basically every dynasty I've ever written where I take over an underdog and then win a title and it feels unrealistic.

BTW there has been a Jamie Vardy movie in devlopment for six months or so now - apparently nearly finalised the script and beginning to think about casting!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Devils losing in double OT of game 7 of the conference finals earlier in the year pretty much eliminates them from the conversation.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #27
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Maybe the closest I can think of is the 65-66 Texas Western winning the national title. They were an unranked INDY team who went 16-9 the year before and went 29-1 beating powerhouses Kansas and Kentucky along the way.

Both teams did something different from the rest of the teams they were playing (Western with it's "radical" starting lineup and Leicester with it's formation/strategy). Both did something that other teams didn't do and it resulted in a title for both. Leicester isn't a great statistical team (think 19th out of 20 in possession and 20th in passing) but built their team on fitness, using the same lineup each game and the most vanilla 4-4-2 formation.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #28
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Is there a good 'explainer' type of article for this season? Team construction, history, tactics, development, whatever - just looking for something less dry than Wikipedia.

The soccer writing at The Guardian is usually excellent for this stuff. If you click through right now there's a whole bunch of great articles explaining what happened, and why it's so unprecedented.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #29
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I posted this on facebook. Hampton was a #16 seed in the NCAA tourney and lost to #1 Virginia by 36 points. No #16 had ever won a game (yet alone the tournament), yet Hampton winning it all (1000-1) had 5 times better odds than Leicester City winning the EPL.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #30
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Excellent illustration.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #31
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'd have thought this is the closest US sport equivalent? ..

Mighty Ducks movie
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #32
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I posted this on facebook. Hampton was a #16 seed in the NCAA tourney and lost to #1 Virginia by 36 points. No #16 had ever won a game (yet alone the tournament), yet Hampton winning it all (1000-1) had 5 times better odds than Leicester City winning the EPL.

That makes me wonder how a book distinguishes between offering odds at 1000-1 or 5000-1.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #33
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Here's a good article about the 5000 to 1 business.

The 5,000-1 payouts on Leicester only tell part of Premier League betting story | Greg Wood | Football | The Guardian

Essentially there were 12 bets of the "fiver" nature made at those odds, and most were cashed in early. No one is talking about Tom Hanks any more, either, so I conclude the 5000 to 1 was a teaser/sucker bet that paid off.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

Even at long odds I'd still be surprised if they lost out with all those much larger, much more frequent bets on the presumed favorites.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #35
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That makes me wonder how a book distinguishes between offering odds at 1000-1 or 5000-1.

Many of them have a model and simulate a game/season out many thousands of times, so in all likelihood they are able to be more granular with low odds than even that, but 5200-1 or 4500-1 aren't as eye-catching as the round number.

I think the "5 times more unlikely than Hampton winning the NCAA tournament" is a bit out of wack because for that, the vast majority of people putting money on Hampton will be alums who don't care what the odds specifically are, whereas there are certainly more avenues for sports betting in England. So maybe Hampton is "really" a 5,000 or 10,000-to-1 long shot but books have found that it doesn't really affect the bottom line while obviously providing more coverage for events such as this.

Last edited by nol : 05-03-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #36
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Not what digamma was looking for but when I was a kid this was considered the craziest thing that ever happened.

https://youtu.be/D_YdxrPD04g
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #37
Comey
College Starter

This is pretty good, in terms of comparing it to English history:

Leicester Premier League title the top achievement in history

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #38
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I think the 5000-1 odds, while the actuall odds placed on the event, were wildly overstated and not really accurate - duh. However, if someone had run an FM 2016 sim and Leicester won, people would relentlessly bash the FM engine.

I'll agree that you simply can't properly put this in the context of American sports since promotion/relegation are absent and teams in professional leagues - for the most part - make similar revenue.

I would liken this to the expansion Marlins or Rockies winning the World Series, because those are the longest odds I can think of.

I'd also guess that the worst of FBS teams would have much longer odds of winning the National Championship - because it's very nearly impossible - but that would seem right to me.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #39
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

According to the Superbook @ Westgate: we had 1 $5 ticket at 2000/1, and 1 $10 ticket and 1 $5 ticket at 1000/1 purchased
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #40
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I think a comparable would be any Cleveland franchise winning a title...?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #41
RainMaker
General Manager

What would the 1980 US Hockey team have been?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #42
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What would the 1980 US Hockey team have been?

I think this is actually a very good comparison
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #43
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I think this is actually a very good comparison

No way, not when it's a single game. The Uconn women are probably 5,000-1 favorites against a 16 seed, and the US men were at least one of the top 5 or so teams on a consistent basis. Even if it's the odds of winning the tournament, I doubt they were underdogs to make it out of group play.

Last edited by nol : 05-03-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #44
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
No way, not when it's a single game. The Uconn women are probably 5,000-1 favorites against a 16 seed, and the US men were at least one of the top 5 or so teams on a consistent basis. Even if it's the odds of winning the tournament, I doubt they were underdogs to make it out of group play.

I make the reference only based on the fact that they never really threatened the big 3 before this.

A good Baseball comparison is the 1914 Boston Braves. In last place in July they rallied to take the NL pennant and then upset the heavily favored Philadelphia A's in the series and really did come from nowhere.

In the 5 season prior they were 45-108, 53-100, 44-107, 52-101 and 69-82, finishing 5th once and dead last the other 4 seasons. In addition they had had just one winning season since the turn of the century and had finished 7th or 8th in 8 of those seasons.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #45
Ned Doolittle
Banned

Daniel Larusso winning a karate tournament with less than a year of informal training and an injured leg in the final match.
Ned Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #46
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Thread over.