Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

POL/REL: The Evangilical Crackup

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/ma...&ref=maga:mad: zine&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

A very interested piece in the NYT. I've been reading a lot along these lines, that the evangelical movement is "broadening" its base of concern. Now, I know there's a few people here who fit the evangelical description, and I was curious as to their thoughts - is this actually happening, or another thing where a lot of people talk about, but very few actually do?

Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
RendeR
Coordinator

That is a seriously long article....

Interesting read though. I really had no idea the evangelicals hard liners were losing strength/position. Then again, I don't tend to pay a whole lot of attention to those so far removed from my ideological center.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

I identify as evangelical christian. I think the influence of evangelicals on american politics has been grossly overstated in recent times.

Even in places like Kansas, there are evangelicals who vote elephant, and its not like that's a new thing that never happened before.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
RendeR
Coordinator

Umm, voting elephant is expected of evangelicals...the whole christian-right thing?

Or did you mean Donkey and mix them up?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
Drake
assmaster

Actually, the evangelical shift back toward the left has been happening for about five years now. You should thank Bono for that.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Actually, the evangelical shift back toward the left has been happening for about five years now. You should thank Bono for that.

Well my question is more of a, "is this really happening", or is this just another overreported trend that really isn't?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/ma...elicals-t.html

A Better link.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Drake
assmaster

It's really happening. It's been happening for awhile, but there isn't a real "voice" for it yet that has a big media audience. In many ways, it's related to the Emerging Church theological movement.

Edit: Realized that not everyone may have siblings/parents who are pastors. Here's a wiki on this movement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerging_Church

Last edited by Drake : 10-29-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Umm, voting elephant is expected of evangelicals...the whole christian-right thing?

Or did you mean Donkey and mix them up?

Yes, I mixed up my animals.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

A lot of my fellow evangelicals here in the Evangelical Capital of the World are and have been independents or libertarians. This goes back to the 90s.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Let me clarify my remarks. Too many people have ignorantly lumped evangelical voters in one group. What we have here out in the West and in Colorado Springs come from the non-denominational churches/ministries originating out of California (like Calvary Chapel). These have their roots in the jesus movement, which I closely identify with. This is very different than the religious voters of the South, which are based from the very denominational, community-based Southern Baptist/Pentacostal movements, segragated for blacks and whites. Generally, those coming out of the SoCal and the West tend to be more independent and liberatarian while elsewhere, tend to be more aligned with the traditional political parties. These can be extended to other religious voter blocs but with the rise and influence of the Sun Belt, I suspect they are not as strong as they used to be.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #12
Drake
assmaster

Yeah, lumping the offshoots of the Jesus Movement in with the Southern Baptist Convention is more than a bit unfair. Personally, I wouldn't even call the Southern Baptist Convention "evangelical" in the way I always understood the term (i.e., non-denominationalism, ethic of service, emphasis on spiritual gifts, etc.).
Old 10-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Yeah, lumping the offshoots of the Jesus Movement in with the Southern Baptist Convention is more than a bit unfair. Personally, I wouldn't even call the Southern Baptist Convention "evangelical" in the way I always understood the term (i.e., non-denominationalism, ethic of service, emphasis on spiritual gifts, etc.).

Right, except that a lot of the modern-day evangelical movement comes out of the charismatic movement from around 1900 (I believe). What came out of California 35-40 years ago was something strange to the charismatics of the South and Midwest. It all depends whether you define evangelicalism as salesmanship or a lifestyle. I think the former tries to use it as a means to an end (e.g., in pushing for morality legislation) while the latter tries to just let the light shine (and to give to Caesar what is his).

Last edited by Buccaneer : 10-30-2007 at 07:00 PM.