Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

HVAC Ballpark Replacement?

Hey all,

So, I know we have a fair number of home owners here, which means a good portion of you probably have had to service/replace an HVAC unit. I'm considering buying a house that has a 32 year old (yes, 32 years) HVAC package unit mounted on the roof. I have poked around online looking at replacement costs, and I see anywhere from $4k - $10k, and I have no idea what differences would determine whether ours would be close to 4 or 10. It's a "package" unit that runs on gas. Any and all help in regards specifically to how much it might cost to replace it, and whatever is involved in getting that done is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
General Mike
Pro Starter

My father replaced the AC unit in our house shortly before he passed away. This was 17 years ago and I believe it was around 6,000 then.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Swaggs
Coordinator

We replaced our air handler for about $2500 and the exterior pump was about the same (we didn't need to replace it, fortunately). They were both ground units. I have heard that roof/attic units can run considerably more, so I would guess you would be at the higher end of your range.

Last edited by Swaggs : 01-10-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can't you like call a local professional and tell him you're looking to replace it. And get an estimate? Would seem to be the easiest way to approach this.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

You would need to know the size of the unit to narrow down the range.
What is the square footage of the home you can guestimate tonnage pretty safely based on that.

IF its 30+ years old its probably time to look at ducts as well, and your ai handler should be considered, too. A new air handler can save big bucks on the power bill..if the AH is also 30 years old Id replace it just as a matter of cost savings.

Unfortunately you are in CA which means your labor will be 3-4x many other areas. I think you are staring $10k in the face and maybe more, perhaps significantly more.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Geez... we did ours several years ago and it was like $2500 for an outside until. Granted, I'm in WI so, I don't need a huge unit.

Hmm... I typed that last line without thinking, reread it and started to laugh. I'll leave it there.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The house is 1752 square feet, built in 1978. Since I don't own the house yet, I assumed it's not really feasible to get an accurate quote/bid from a Contractor...

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 01-10-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Have you done an inspection yet? I'd ask for the replacement info s part of the home inspection. It would be good to have that number as you finalize the purchase.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The inspection was a week ago today, and other than the age of the unit (it still works fine) there were no other major issues. My Realtor recommended getting a Home Warranty which I guess runs around $350 - $400 per year, and if the HVAC unit goes out in that time, they replace it. I would assume that labor and duct work is all included, but I'm not entirely sure.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

HVAC Ballpark...that's where the Padres play, right? Yeah, definitely needs to be replaced.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Geez... we did ours several years ago and it was like $2500 for an outside until. Granted, I'm in WI so, I don't need a huge unit.

Hmm... I typed that last line without thinking, reread it and started to laugh. I'll leave it there.

She says that to make you feel goo about yourself.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Rizon
Pro Starter

Bought a house with no AC/central air and a 60 year old wall heater (that was broken). To add an AC unit (outside) and a heating unit (garage) cost us $6000. This was for both systems and labor. I think it was a 93 or 95% AFUE heating unit, which is where we saw the price difference in quotes we got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
HVAC Ballpark...that's where the Padres play, right? Yeah, definitely needs to be replaced.

I kept seeing this thread and was thinking along similar lines...

*He needs to replace an HVAC system at a ballpark? Did I miss the thread on FOFC collectively bought a ballpark??*
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote