Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
brittdad
n00b

Question...

After struggling through a horrible season of mythic proportions I decided to upgrade my team a bit with veterans to help get through this season. My question is this. Do I start vets and use prospects as back ups or vice versa. Been trying to figure the right way to handle this, then I figured I would ask and get some opinions.

thank you
Scott

brittdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittdad View Post
After struggling through a horrible season of mythic proportions I decided to upgrade my team a bit with veterans to help get through this season. My question is this. Do I start vets and use prospects as back ups or vice versa. Been trying to figure the right way to handle this, then I figured I would ask and get some opinions.

thank you
Scott

I always aim to win as many games as I can, so spend to the cap where possible, and I start the best players, whether they are vets or rookies.

I choose prospects usually when it doesn't matter which way I go with a spot, as I figure more playing time will develop them more. But then I also believe more playing time will come to prospects at AAA than at the MLB level unless they're starting.

Also, the more I play prospects at the MLB level, the closer they are to reaching free agency and hitting my cap. If I am a bad team, I am probably delaying playing prospects if anything, unless I feel I am close to taking that next step. This, of course, is for prospects who still can develop some. Obviously, if they're ready (all maxed out or close to it), might as well play them unless they still aren't good enough to get the job done.

As I run a team that is usually pretty good, I usually introduce prospects as backups for a season a year before I anticipate needing them to start. Best example on my team right now is Sonny Brock. He is a developing 1B/2B that looked like he might be ready soon, which played into how I handled Larry Abbott, my regular 1B/2B. Brock was my backup plan if Abbott left, and I played him the last three spring trainings and considered him for major league jobs the past two. He still didn't make the cut unfortunately, but that's another story (now he's "on target" for next year).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-22-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittdad View Post

thank you
Scott

It depends on the prospects. If it's a young kid who could benefit from playing time, then I'm not opposed to playing them early. I think it depends on what you hope to get out of them over time. Playing older veterans who will maybe take you from the cellar to 6th place doesn't usually make that much sense to me, if you have meaningful ks who can play in their place.

I don't believe in bringing kids up "too early" but when you've got few options, I don't really see the point in playing a 4 or 5 star prospect in AAA or AA when they could ply their trade at the highest levels.

I've got a lot of examples of players who have played for me "too early" in the past who blossomed into great players like Thierry Fournier, Jeremy Rigsby and others. It just depends on the kid and what you're trying to accomplish, but there isn't usually anything wrong with cellar dwelling if your purpose is to build, keep payroll low and wait until you can assemble enough of a core to get your team ready to contend via a few trades or acquiring prospects.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
brittdad
n00b

Thank you for the advice. Dont think I am ready to take the next step, but I didnt want to be horrible again either. I am slowly rebuilding the farm system by signing free agents. Seems there are sometimes a few that are not bad that dont get drafted. Thanks again.

Scott
Old 11-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

I also take into account if it a contract year. If it is someone I want to keep, if I have the option to platoon, or even play part time I will. It may lower his asking price....of course he may also bolt...
With youngsters I usual platoon them in the fifth year...or even put them in a bench role only. Then in the off season offer them a 5 yr deal at below market value. often they will accept, and at the cheaper rate because of their limited role the last season. if they balk, at least you have their last year of arbitration as a safety net.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 11-22-2008 at 09:57 PM.
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
brittdad
n00b

Thank you for the good advice