Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Rizon
Pro Starter

So I got denied for my first credit card

I figured that since I'd be flying a lot this year, I'd get a credit card so I could rack up miles. I have not had a credit card in my life (other than a Macys, JCPenny, etc, which I just used to get 10% off), don't believe in them or need them.

And I got rejected*. Like Corey Haim trying to pick up a chick at the mall.

WTF? My credit score is 795. I've never had a delinquent account in my life (and have access to my credit reports, which are clear). I'm 33. I've lived in and owned my home since 1997. Been at the same job for 6 years. I make a decent salary and have little debt (car loan, paid off this summer).

What does a motherfucker have to do to get a credit card these days? Be financially irresponsible? I know people that just keep getting cards and are in massive debt, but I can't?????

* "too few accounts with satisfactory performance"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

Very surprising - but this may be a part of the new credit card legislation. All of the credit card companies are trying to lower their membership numbers.

Maybe you just aimed too high for the first card. Some of the airline miles cards are a little more picky. Maybe apply for just a regular Citibank or Chase card.

Do you do business with any bank? Whoever does your checking account will probably hook you up.

Last edited by molson : 03-04-2010 at 02:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Very surprising - but this may be a part of the new credit card legislation. All of the credit card companies are trying to lower their membership numbers.

Maybe you just aimed too high for the first card. Some of the airline miles cards are a little more picky. Maybe apply for just a regular Citibank or Chase card.

Do you do business with any bank? Whoever does your checking account will probably hook you up.

I chose this one https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...source=dmbug10. My girlfriend got approved for the Premier card (which I got rejected for). She has to fly US Airways for her job, and I'd be going with her a lot.

I bank with Bank of America, belong to a credit union, and have a home loan through Citibank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

If you've never had a regular credit card before (not counting your store cards), you probably aren't going to be able to jump right into a "Premier" card - you'll probably have to start off with a base-level card with your bank or credit union (I'm guessing you'll get better terms with your credit union) and use that card regularly for a period of time before "better" credit cards will accept your applicaiton. Basically, you have to prove yourself as a credit card user.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Who's Corey Haim?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
JediKooter
Coordinator

Rizon, try this website: Credit Cards - Applications, Reviews, Offers | Card Ratings

It's a database of credit cards basically. You can refine the search to match your credit criteria. I've used it in the past and it has worked most of the time. The website has changed since the last time I used it, so it took me a second to realize it was the correct site.

Even though you can apply via the website, once I found the card that I wanted to apply for, I went to that company's specific website and applied there.

With anything like this though, do your due diligence.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I figured that since I'd be flying a lot this year, I'd get a credit card so I could rack up miles. I have not had a credit card in my life (other than a Macys, JCPenny, etc, which I just used to get 10% off), don't believe in them or need them.

And I got rejected*. Like Corey Haim trying to pick up a chick at the mall.

WTF? My credit score is 795. I've never had a delinquent account in my life (and have access to my credit reports, which are clear). I'm 33. I've lived in and owned my home since 1997. Been at the same job for 6 years. I make a decent salary and have little debt (car loan, paid off this summer).

What does a motherfucker have to do to get a credit card these days? Be financially irresponsible? I know people that just keep getting cards and are in massive debt, but I can't?????

* "too few accounts with satisfactory performance"

I'm like you (I really don't have a need for credit cards), yet I maintain one and run a lot of my monthly discretionary expenses through it, and pay it off each month. My credit card pays points, so I end up getting a $100 GC every now and then for really doing nothing. Works for me.

Also, if you do a lot of online shopping, it's good to have a CC. I'd never use my debit card online.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Starwood Preferred Guest AmEx. Best points program out there, bar none.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I'm like you (I really don't have a need for credit cards), yet I maintain one and run a lot of my monthly discretionary expenses through it, and pay it off each month. My credit card pays points, so I end up getting a $100 GC every now and then for really doing nothing. Works for me.

Also, if you do a lot of online shopping, it's good to have a CC. I'd never use my debit card online.

Exactly what I do. Except I have a Chase card that racks up points I can trade for Continental miles

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I use a Southwest Airlines card for my primary card. I put all expenses on it. I currently get 6-8 free flights a year. It's a heckuva deal.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

One of the small, annoying things about living in Richmond is that Southwest doesn't even fly here. We do get Airtran, which I really like, tho.

SI

Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
One of the small, annoying things about living in Richmond is that Southwest doesn't even fly here. We do get Airtran, which I really like, tho.

SI

Yeah, we used Airtran for some flights for places where Southwest doesn't go.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I chose this one US Airways(SM) Dividend Miles World MasterCard(R). My girlfriend got approved for the Premier card (which I got rejected for). She has to fly US Airways for her job, and I'd be going with her a lot.

I bank with Bank of America, belong to a credit union, and have a home loan through Citibank.

I know the Apple Store uses Barclay as their card of choice when applying for financing. I have a few friends with exceptional credit scores being rejected for that card - and when I tried applying for one this past year, I too was rejected. Most people I've spoken with haven't been successful in getting approved with Barclay..
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #14
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Welcome to my world. I have the dancing ability of a white man, and the credit report of a black man.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #15
hhiipp
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Welcome to my world. I have the dancing ability of a white man, and the credit report of a black man.

I won't lie, this cracked me up.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #16
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

This.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

I kindof like the card I use for points (I can trade blocks of 6000 pts in for 5000 miles) but sell me on this one as I've heard before that it's one of the best. I've been over at FlyerTalk's threads about it, but it's about a mile long so picking out basic information is kindof needle in haystack time.

How many points per dollar spent? What kind of bonuses? What kind of redemption rates (how many points = airline ticket domestic/international)?

SI