Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
cyril
Mascot

what do you think of the new HBO series "Ballers"?

My hope has diminished that it would be the spiritual successor of ESPN's Playmakers. After watching two episodes, I still could not empathize with the characters like those in Playmakers and the story (so far) did not entice me.

The Rock certainly looked the part, but something is missing. The way he played. In Playmakers, Demetrius Harris (played by Omar Gooding) has this strong screen presence that was very captivating. Something devious about him, something you want to find out more about his history. Not Johnson's role Spencer Strasmore. Maybe they are written as different characters so it is not a fair comparison. But as a protagonist, the character does not make me want to follow. The other characters, so far, are unimpressive as well. Maybe it's the pacing (or the style of current TV shows) - Playmakers take time to develop the characters, versus Ballers seem to be made up a bunch of fast talking guys developing vain lines. That's my impression after only 2 episodes so of course my opinions could change. I hope the series will get better. I so miss Playmakers...

cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Johnny93g
College Starter

I like it so far. It seems to me they are taking time to develop characters. The Rock, the WR who was cut by GB, the retired Olineman, and now the Cowboys DT.

I've never seen playmarkers, so i'm not sure why you think they are not taking time to develop the characters, but through just 2 episodes, I'd say the show is trying to do exactly that.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the WR guy has some serious charisma and I like the retired OL from CSI Miami.

Plus I'll pretty much watch anything with the Rock in it. Stuff like Snitch, Faster, etc are not Academy Award movies but they're a great rainy day Saturday afternoon movie.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think you're comparing it to the wrong show. It's more the sports version of Entourage than a Playmakers successor. (Fwiw you can definitely count me in the list that wishes HBO would do Playmakers, but even they don't want to go against the NFL.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Didn't realize "Ricky" on the show was Denzel's kid. Something about the charisma was indescribable. Makes sense now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote