Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Tasan
College Starter

New Star Soccer

Has anyone ever tried this game? Here's the link:

http://www.newstarsoccer.com/nss3.htm

It looks like something I'd be interested in, and I'll probably grab the trial some time, but I've never heard of it until today, when I found it browsing through the update on www.the-underdogs.org

This looks like a soccer game where you manage the career of a single player, and work on improving him. Sounds like something a lot of this board would be interested in.

Anyway, anyone play this and have some thoughts on it?

Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
vex
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=43791&
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
Tasan
College Starter

Heh....shoulda figured. Thanks for bursting the "I've found something related that nobody else has!" balloon. ;- )
Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
vex
Grizzled Veteran

heh
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan
Heh....shoulda figured. Thanks for bursting the "I've found something related that nobody else has!" balloon. ;- )

The search function could've gotten rid of that a little bit sooner.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
The search function could've gotten rid of that a little bit sooner.

Look out!!! It's the Search Police!!!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Tasan
College Starter

Yay! A smartass response by Sov! We just need a Pumpy pic now!

Yes I know, just got carried away with the initial rush, thats all. I'm not usually a willy-nilly topic starter, sorry to offend...

Last edited by Tasan : 01-14-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Loved NSS1, loved NSS2, not going to bother with NSS3.

NSS1 and 2 allowed you to build your player up and then take him into game situations where options were presented to you in a text based A or B format. Your skill levels dictated the chances of each option succeeding.

NSS3 throws that out the window by moving to a 2D field and action based gameplay. Isn't that what Winning Eleven is for? Or more precisely, isn't that what OmniPlay Sports on the Commodore 64 was for 20 years ago?

I liked the level of abstraction NSS1 and 2 provided. I liked the way the game changed based on the skills you developed and the team you played on. Now I'm just running around out of position calling for the ball. It's like I'm seven again.

The way to keep NSS style gameplay on a 2D field, I think, was to keep all action on the pitch computer controlled, but when your player got the ball, different options appeared on the screen (pass, dribble, shoot) much like in the old Dragon's Lair series - choose an option in the time allotted, or your player will just stand there and get creamed.

That game I'd have paid for...this one? Not even up to the lofty standard of Inside the Park.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
Loved NSS1, loved NSS2, not going to bother with NSS3.

NSS1 and 2 allowed you to build your player up and then take him into game situations where options were presented to you in a text based A or B format. Your skill levels dictated the chances of each option succeeding.

NSS3 throws that out the window by moving to a 2D field and action based gameplay. Isn't that what Winning Eleven is for? Or more precisely, isn't that what OmniPlay Sports on the Commodore 64 was for 20 years ago?

I liked the level of abstraction NSS1 and 2 provided. I liked the way the game changed based on the skills you developed and the team you played on. Now I'm just running around out of position calling for the ball. It's like I'm seven again.

The way to keep NSS style gameplay on a 2D field, I think, was to keep all action on the pitch computer controlled, but when your player got the ball, different options appeared on the screen (pass, dribble, shoot) much like in the old Dragon's Lair series - choose an option in the time allotted, or your player will just stand there and get creamed.

That game I'd have paid for...this one? Not even up to the lofty standard of Inside the Park.
This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the info, I'll try to look into 2 it seems.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
bhlloy
Coordinator

Funny, I pretty much have completely the opposite opinion to you here. 1 and 2 were infinitely boring and I played each for about 2 days, but 3 has turned into a fun little game that I keep going back to again and again.

Your skills have a huge amount of difference on how well you play (try playing without high stamina and speed - ugh) and if you start in a lower league you will be amazed at how the game keeps challenging you when you move up a level.

If it's a soccer video game you want, yeah it pretty much sucks. But as a career sim/RPG I think it's a HUGE step forward. I would love to see an American Football version of this game, even if the graphics were this bad.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote