Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sayonara, NASCAR-san

Wow, this is something I'd never thought I'd see. A Camry stock car running in the Nextel Cup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/column...ark&id=2303317
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and in this year or the next, they're switching to *gasp* UNLEADED fuel..

Don't know how much money that will save these days *sighs*
Old 01-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

20 years ago, I think this would have been a huge controversy. today? not so earth shattering
Old 01-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
and in this year or the next, they're switching to *gasp* UNLEADED fuel..

Don't know how much money that will save these days *sighs*

don't they use ethanol? Isn't that alcohol based? Or am i mistaking open-wheeled cars with neckcars.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

NASCAR vehicles are tube steel frames covered by a skin of sheet metal. The deck lid and the hood may be the only thing they share with the road worthy cousins, but that is it.

Your driver may have a chevy bowtie on the front, but please, it ain't no chevy.

They should be forced to change the name from NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing) to NACTHNTDWSC (National Association for Cars That Have Nothing To Do With Stock Cars).

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
don't they use ethanol? Isn't that alcohol based? Or am i mistaking open-wheeled cars with neckcars.

NEW YORK (AP) — NASCAR will begin using unleaded fuel in its cars and trucks beginning in 2008, The New York Times reported Friday.

The racing series has used high-octane leaded fuel for decades, but has been testing a new fuel for a few months, the newspaper said. NASCAR has been searching for an alternative for years, even though it is exempt from the 1970 Clean Air Act — which required all automobiles to use unleaded fuel.

Still, NASCAR was criticized by advocacy groups for its continued use of leaded fuel.

Gary Nelson, NASCAR's vice president for research and development, told the Times that the fuel, Sunoco 260 GTX, will be used in Nextel Cup, Busch and Craftsman Truck events. Nelson also said it is already being used in the Grand American road racing series.

"Sunoco came up with a formula that really seems to do the job," Nelson said. "It does a very good job inside the engine."

The move followed an appeal by the advocacy group Clean Air Watch to the Environmental Protection Agency on Wednesday to begin testing the air quality for lead at NASCAR events," the Times reported.

"It sounds like it's a step to bring NASCAR into the 21st century with stopping use of an old-century fuel," said Frank O'Donnell, executive director of Clean Air Watch.