Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Unhappy Self Headed to Kansas

http://msn.espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0420/1541578.html

So dissapointing, I really wanted to see just what levels he could take our program to. Oh well, our loss is Kansas' gain.

Any ideas on who's at the top of the list of candidates for the Illinois job now?

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:32 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

And leaves me Dancin' With My Self! Oh-oh-oh-ohhhh!

Sorry to hear about Self, but I'm sure you'll get someone decent.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:33 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You're kidding me? I truly thought he would stay at Illinios at least a few more years. I don't think Kansas is that of a better program, he's dominated in St. Louis/Illinios. Wow.... interesting.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:48 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kansas isn't that much better of a program? LOL
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:18 PM   #5
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Tom Crean from Marquette will be who Illinois targets probably..

He recruits well from chicago..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 04:47 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think he has set himself up for a fall.

I guess we'll see in 2-3 years.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 06:12 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Kansas isn't that much better of a program? LOL

Granted I'm a Big 12 guy, but hasn't Illinios won the Big 10 title the last few years? not counting this year. I know Self had one heck of a recruiting year here in the midwest.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 08:34 PM   #8
tucker342
Pro Starter

That's really to bad
Self is a great basketball coach. He'll do great things at Kansas
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:37 PM   #9
Craptacular
College Starter

Stay in Milwaukee Tom! Illinois should hire Bruce Weber from Southern Illinois.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:32 PM   #10
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
Granted I'm a Big 12 guy, but hasn't Illinios won the Big 10 title the last few years? not counting this year. I know Self had one heck of a recruiting year here in the midwest.

Todd

Yes, Illinois has done very well under Bill Self. But it's hard to imagine them doing better than two Final Fours in three years like Kansas just did.

Self should do well at Kansas. He's got a dynamite recruiting class that he inherited from Roy Williams and has strong ties to the midwest for recruiting.

What will be scary is to see Roy Williams at North Carolina. A dynamite coach who could really give Duke a run for their money in the coming years. I still think UNC gave Matt Doherty the shaft, but you can't fault them after luring Williams away from Kansas. Things will get awfully interesting in the ACC with Williams at UNC.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 11:34 PM   #11
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Stay in Milwaukee Tom! Illinois should hire Bruce Weber from Southern Illinois.

Wow, Tom Crean at Illinois. I don't know that it will happen, but that would be a REALLY strong coach. The question will be...will Illinois go for the 'better' coach or a coach with ties to Illinois? After losing Kruger and Self, Illinois may be re-thinking their next hire. Tom Crean would be the smart choice, but he like Self and Kruger may move on in 3-5 years.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:41 PM   #12
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
I think he has set himself up for a fall.

I guess we'll see in 2-3 years.

I disagree. Self should blossom at Kansas. He's already an outstanding recruiter and having Kansas on his business card is going to pay big dividends in getting into players' homes that he normally hasn't been able to get into.

The tough thing for Self is that he's replacing a coach who has done some amazing things (80% winning percentage, 4 final fours, 2 national title games, numerous Big 8/12 championships, etc) at Kansas. I don't know that Self will be able to have that same kind of success, but it will be very interesting to see what transpires.

Very good hire by Kansas officials. To lose Roy Williams and then replace him with Bill Self in a matter of days...that's impressive.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:01 AM   #13
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

Maybe with Self gone the Illini can stop underachieving. Its good when you make the sweet 16 and win big ten titles.About 3 seasons ago the Illini were ranked number 1 by a few pre-season publications, but alas they did not make it to the Final Four. Self is a good coach don't get me wrong I would be retarded not to recognize that, but maybe a new coach can help get this team to overachieve.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:22 AM   #14
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman=#54
Maybe with Self gone the Illini can stop underachieving. Its good when you make the sweet 16 and win big ten titles.About 3 seasons ago the Illini were ranked number 1 by a few pre-season publications, but alas they did not make it to the Final Four. Self is a good coach don't get me wrong I would be retarded not to recognize that, but maybe a new coach can help get this team to overachieve.

Superman,

Preseason rankings are worthless. I remember two seasons ago when the Missouri Tigers were ranked preseason #1 in SI and Sporting News. That season they went on to finish sixth in the Big 12, but did make a good tournament run to get into the Elite Eight.

It will be very interesting to see what Illinois does with their next hire. Bill Self has put together a very good young squad for next season and has a good recruiting class coming in to boot.

I really think someone needs to give Matt Doherty another shot. He's a tenacious recruiter who has shown he can do very well in certain situations. Sadly, being Dean Smith's puppet was not in his plans.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:12 AM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

What scares me is...Self actually WANTED to go to that godforsaken state? He deserves whatever fate befalls him now.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:26 AM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

This kinda worries me. UTEP's new coach is Billy Gillispie, who was on Self's staff from Tulsa up to last year at Illinois. Gillispie just brought in his first recruiting class to UTEP and it was pretty darn good. I'm just worried what kind of effect this will have on Billy. I know he won't go back to being an assistant or anything, but I know that Billy was really well thought of in Illinois.

Ah crap, whatever happens, happens. If he leaves there's nothing I can do about it, so no need to worry about it...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 04-21-2003 at 01:41 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:28 AM   #17
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack
What scares me is...Self actually WANTED to go to that godforsaken state? He deserves whatever fate befalls him now.

Luckily for Self, it seems basketball players want to go to that state...so maybe it's something in the water in Lawrence, lol.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:30 AM   #18
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
This kinda worries me. UTEP's new coach is Billy Gillispie, who was on Self's staff since Tulsa. Gillispie just brought in his first recruiting class to UTEP and it was pretty darn good. I'm just worried what kind of effect this will have on Billy. I know he won't go back to being an assistant or anything, but I know that Billy was really well thought of Illinois.

Ah crap, whatever happens, happens. If he leaves there's nothing I can do about it, so no need to worry about it...

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Phillips is another guy from Self's staff who is doing well at Tulsa. If they picked anyone from Self's old staffers...I would suspect it would be him.

Tom Crean is still out there. Larry Brown is still out there...though I don't know that he will return to the college ranks except for either Kansas or North Carolina. It'd be worth a try for some schools to take a shot on him.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:31 AM   #19
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by the_meanstrosity
Phillips is another guy from Self's staff who is doing well at Tulsa. If they picked anyone from Self's old staffers...I would suspect it would be him.

Well, the main reason Phillips got the job at Tulsa is that he has no career aspirations. He would go coach high school again rather than leave (the city of) Tulsa. They were tired of finding promising young coaches, giving them experience and seeing them become the hottest young prospects in coaching, so they hired someone who would likely be there for a number of years.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:18 PM   #20
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
Well, the main reason Phillips got the job at Tulsa is that he has no career aspirations. He would go coach high school again rather than leave (the city of) Tulsa. They were tired of finding promising young coaches, giving them experience and seeing them become the hottest young prospects in coaching, so they hired someone who would likely be there for a number of years.

So Phillips won't be leaving Tulsa anytime soon. That's a good job by Tulsa. I've often wondered why they weren't able to hang onto their coaches with how successful they have been. It's been a university where a coach could springboard into a better job. I really hoped a coach would make that school his for 5-10 years. Hopefully Phillips will be that guy.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:36 PM   #21
SteelerFan448
High School JV

What a year though for big time coaches leaving. If Pitt would have made an outside hiring there'd be even more of a domino effect than what there is right now.

What is everyones feelings on how college players have to wait a year after transfering. Do you think if a coach is under contract, he should have to wait a year before going elsewhere? These contracts are meanlingless now and there are too many coaching changes IMO.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:48 PM   #22
henry296
College Starter

If the coach has a buyout clause, I have no problems with breaking the contract. however I do believe that a contract is a contract and without the clause or permission from the other side, they shouldn't be able to leave.

Todd
Old 04-21-2003, 02:25 PM   #23
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
If the coach has a buyout clause, I have no problems with breaking the contract. however I do believe that a contract is a contract and without the clause or permission from the other side, they shouldn't be able to leave.

Todd

Most coaches have buyouts in their contract though. And nearly every university would allow their coach to speak to another university. What you're saying is no different than what is currently occurring.

What needs to be changed is the LOI rule for when a coach leaves. Players should be allowed to follow if they want to.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:34 PM   #24
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SteelerFan448
What a year though for big time coaches leaving. If Pitt would have made an outside hiring there'd be even more of a domino effect than what there is right now.

What is everyones feelings on how college players have to wait a year after transfering. Do you think if a coach is under contract, he should have to wait a year before going elsewhere? These contracts are meanlingless now and there are too many coaching changes IMO.

#1. College players should be allowed to transfer and recruits should be allowed review their options without risk of losing a year if a coach leaves for another job.

#2. The contracts are not meaningless. They are intended to have buyouts in them so coaches are not locked into a poor situation.

#3. I think coaching changes are a way of life. There aren't 'too many' in my opinion. I think it isn't any more so than the sports world in general.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:36 PM   #25
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by the_meanstrosity
I've often wondered why they weren't able to hang onto their coaches with how successful they have been.

One thing to note about top basketball programs - they are all attached to programs that at least play major college football. In other words, they cannot compete with richer athletic departments. Tulsa generates significantly less revenue from football than patsy-in-big-conference football programs like Kentucky, Duke and Kansas.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:51 PM   #26
Bosco
H.S. Freshman Team

Why hasn't anyone mentioned how this will affect Villanueva. He hasn't signed a letter of intent with Illinois yet and rumors are flying that he may follow Self to Kansas. I say he is definitely going pro now.
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 04:47 PM   #27
superbama
H.S. Freshman Team

What a title. Didn't Ron Jermey used to do the self head thingy?
superbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:49 PM   #28
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Bosco, shhhh. I am already sad, I really don't need that reminder, and now the other guy says he might rethink his decision............but I don't think Villanueva will go pro, he is projected late first round early second, he said he would only go if he was lottery. So he will probably end up following Self to Kansas.

This is all Roy Williams fault. I really hope Illinois get Crean.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:14 PM   #29
Craptacular
College Starter

Villanueva intended all along to enter draft
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:29 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by SteelerFan448

I think players should have to stay committed to the school. It clearly says in bold letters on the committment letter that you are signing with the school.

Just think about it- if players were allowed to follow coaches, what happens when an entire class follows a coach to another school, if they were able? It would set programs back years. It's one thing if you're Kansas or North Carolina and can reload on the fly, but what about the smaller schools? Especially with the 8/5 rules, losing most or all of a class to a coach that left your school would devistate programs.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:36 AM   #31
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

And now Dee Brown is stating his odds of trasnfering are 50-50, but the assistant coach who stayed behind said he was emotional, and would probably stay.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote