Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Anthony
Banned

New FOFC MP League?

just wondering if there's any interest in starting a new MP league? perhaps this could be a good chance for anyone not already in a league. since it's proving so hard for me to find a spot in a league that i don't deem to be a waste of my time, figured i'd throw this out there just in case there's some FOFC guys on the fence. maybe with the NFL offseason in full swing some guys are getting the FOF MP bug. i know i've heard from a couple people that they'd be interested in a FOF league with current rosters (i'm more interested in fictional teams myself).

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't even have the game, but depending on the schedule I might be game.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

deja vu
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I would be interested as well. Sounds like a good time.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If it was gonna take off I would probably be interested as well, but I have no interest at all in starting with fake players.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Anthony
Banned

cool. that last league i started was created right around this time as well, and we all know how that ended up. i think the timing mighta been a little off, with the football season so far away. that having been said, it's hard to imagine everyone who's interested in being in a league is already in one. i'm sure there are people who are late to the game who want some MP action, or people in between leagues like myself. but like last time - there has to be passion. without passion and people caring about their teams, missing exports and having a rather "ho hum" personality about the league (as if i'm supposed to provide the entertainment for everyone) then i have no problem just biding my time and awaiting the next FOF/TCY release. i'm more of a "if it's not gonna get done the right way then i don't want to do it at all" kinda guy.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Just a suggestion, but I think you should come up with the rules, roster sets, and infrastructure (messageboard, website, schedule, etc.) before recruiting owners. It is always fun and exciting to see the league fill up with new faces, but I think the downfall of the last league was that we all got there and it was like, "What's next?"
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

Survivor FOFC. Each off-season you vote somebody out of the league.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

You could have a promotion and relegation system... for example, if there are more people interested in a league than there are teams to fill it, you start two leagues...

The top league is all human teams. Every season, the last place team (or teams?) get demoted to the minor league. The minor league can be all human (if there's enough interest), or some computer run teams. The Super Bowl champion every season moves up to the top league. This is sort of how they do it with Hattrick.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
You could have a promotion and relegation system... for example, if there are more people interested in a league than there are teams to fill it, you start two leagues...

The top league is all human teams. Every season, the last place team (or teams?) get demoted to the minor league. The minor league can be all human (if there's enough interest), or some computer run teams. The Super Bowl champion every season moves up to the top league. This is sort of how they do it with Hattrick.

Is that even possible in FOF?
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #11
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

but you wouldnt have the same team when moving between leagues
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I'm not wearing any pants.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:28 AM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
but you wouldnt have the same team when moving between leagues

Right... it's more a test of your GM skills... you get promoted, but you're stuck with the crappiest team in the best league.

You could even set up a two-season grace period for the promoted GM... i.e., they can't be demoted the following season. I dunno... just a wacky thought...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #14
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Its not possible in FOF since there is no editor.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #15
Anthony
Banned

i love ideas like this. always fun to push the limits of how a developer intended their game to be played.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:28 AM   #16
KWhit
Coordinator

What happened to the last league you started?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #17
Anthony
Banned

it was somewhat started around this time last year. sorta had a lot of FOF MP newbs in it, guess they weren't able to see the big picture. as you can see from Swaggs' post (it was like, "What's next?") i think people were waiting to be entertained, rather than contribute to the entertainment. my reputation in MP leagues speaks for itself - i'm passionate about my team, and uber active. that having been said *i* need to be entertained myself. it can't be all HA jumping up and down for everyone's amusement. i think there was a lot of standing around on everyone else's part (sov will attest i did an amazing job with the front page, i would do some neat things to make it look like ESPN.com was covering our league).

oh, and it didn't help that the commissioner (sov) quit in the middle of the season. it's all in the past now, no need to rehash it. some leagues work, some don't. it's just no coincidence that the leagues that work have owners who want to be in the league and are willing to do their part. shouldn't be up to the commish, or the league's creator or any one person to keep it afloat. at some point the league has to show it can exist on it's own without someone, like myself for example, riding in circles on a tricycle balancing a stack of plates on their head dressed as a clown so people will check in and post every once in a while.

there is no bitterness on my part, mind you, i know not every league that is started will last. it happens. for every IHOF there's a league like mine that fizzles out.

Last edited by Anthony : 03-17-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #18
Anthony
Banned

please note, i'm not looking to start another league, in the sense that if a new league is created it's not going to be "HA's new league". i'm just trying to put it out there for all the people who might not be in a league at the moment that perhaps there's enough people not in a league that we can all form one on our own. i'm keen on using mostly FOFC people because i'm noticing the trend amongst the leagues that cheat that the cheaters are people who aren't part of our community. i don't think you'll find anyone from FOFC willing to ruin their reputation here by cheating (other than HornsManiac). by and large it's complete strangers who wind up doing the cheating, so my interest is in getting together with like-minded people. but again, this is not *my* league. it probably won't get off the ground, but at least it's put out there. again, you can't tell me that everyone who'll ever be in a league is already in one and that we've reached the max on FOFC leagues. there's like thousands of members here, and each league only has room for 30 something owners.