Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

TAX QUESTION

I finally doing my taxes and had afiling status question. I work and my wife doesn't work. So, do i still have to file married jointly or what?

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Entirely up to you.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Samdari
Roster Filler

Although If your wife does not work, I think you'll generally do better married filing jointly.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Huckleberry
College Starter

I use a tax software that allows you to go back and recalculate using the different status selections.

You may be able to elect to file head of household and that will often save money.

Could be wrong, I filed jointly, FWIW.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 03-20-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Uh, why wouldn't you want to file jointly if you work and she doesn't?

Serious question, not being a smartass.

And generally the only other way you can file is Married Filing Seperately. There's really no benefit to doing that since it essentially just takes all the MFJ stuff and cuts it in half.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Another question for the pros. I did my taxes and filed electronically using TurboTax. When I did the "check my status" thing, it said it had been accepted, and that I needed to do the following:

Based on that, I thought I needed to print something and send it in. So I printed all the paperwork, and my "Virginia Filing Instructions" printout says to do the following:
1. Documents to address:
Form VA-8453
-Sign and date form VA-8453 within one day of acceptance
-Attach original copies of ALL the following documents to the FRONT of Form VA-8453
Form W-2
-Keep the Form VA-8453 and attachments for THREE YEARS
PLEASE DO NOT MAIL THIS FORM.

So I'm assuming that the weird address in the TurboTax screenshot is just something stupid, and I'm done so long as I don't throw my paperwork away for 3 years.....am I right? I had so much confusion this time around, having to file in MD and VA and figure out what was taxable where.

Thanks,
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Another question for the pros. I did my taxes and filed electronically using TurboTax. When I did the "check my status" thing, it said it had been accepted, and that I needed to do the following:

Based on that, I thought I needed to print something and send it in. So I printed all the paperwork, and my "Virginia Filing Instructions" printout says to do the following:
1. Documents to address:
Form VA-8453
-Attach original copies of ALL the following documents to the FRONT of Form VA-8453
Form W-2

So I'm assuming that the weird address in the TurboTax screenshot is just something stupid, and I'm done so long as I don't throw my paperwork away for 3 years.....am I right? I had so much confusion this time around, having to file in MD and VA and figure out what was taxable where.

Thanks,
/tk

Wow, I have no clue. Did you efile with VA's website or Turbotax?
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
ZXTT
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin

1. Documents to address:
Form VA-8453
Form W-2

Thanks,
/tk

Not familiar with Virginia, but I'd guess you must keep that for three years, during which Virginia may ask you to mail it in if they're investigating your return. The address may be printed because that's the way Virginia insists it be done.
ZXTT is offline   Reply With Quote