Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
FOFC PokerStars Colossal Squid Tourney #41 (4/2/2006)

Hello all,

Sorry for the slacking off over the past month or so in getting these organized. But never fear, we are back in action.

Quote:
Tourney #22043392
FOFC Colossal Squid #41
NLHE $10+$1
Sunday, April 2nd, 9:00pm Eastern
Password: aprilshowers
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
front page bump
Old 03-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Johnny93g
College Starter

What about the Sopranos
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Sack up Johnny...
Old 03-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Front page bump...

and registered.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

I'll be there... tivo'ing the sopranos
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Front page bump
Old 03-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

How do you transfer money into your PokerStars account? My visa won't let me and I don't see paypal on there. I'm not doing direct deposit... anyone use neteller? Good/bad experiences?
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
How do you transfer money into your PokerStars account? My visa won't let me and I don't see paypal on there. I'm not doing direct deposit... anyone use neteller? Good/bad experiences?

Most credit card companies won't authorize any gambling related charges, and a lot now are starting to deny authorization to 3rd Party sites like NetTeller that are mainly used for online gambling. That is the reason PayPal isn't listed on any gaming sites.

I myself use FirePay and haven't had any issues. But I haven't had to put in any money in a while, so I can't really comment on that piece. I use direct deposit, but you've stated you don't want to go down that road. Can anyone chime in if they have had any recent credit card success with one of the providers?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #10
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel

Just as an FYI. I have used Neteller for years now and never had any issues getting money in or out with them.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
primelord
Pro Rookie

Also I am in and registered for the tourney
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:26 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
Just as an FYI. I have used Neteller for years now and never had any issues getting money in or out with them.
ditto.

and I should be there
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:40 PM   #13
Bonegavel

I set up a neteller account and it won't take my credit card. Hehe. They actually called me and explained that I would have to set it up like Paypal and connect it to my checking account. Not sure how I feel about that, but I don't think I have much of a choice except for sending them a money order which I do not want to do.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #14
Subby
lolzcat

Bonegavel -

Neteller is about as reputable and reliable as it gets for on-line web wallets. I have had two different accounts with them over the past two years, both accounts attached to my family's main checking account. Never had even a whiff of a problem...and I have probably pushed 100k back and forth through there.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 03-31-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
Bonegavel

This is a first for me where I've been trying to give somebody my money and they won't let me.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Bone: Not sure how much this helps you, but if you wanted to paypal me the money I would gladly send it to a Pokerstars account for you as a stop gap measure.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #17
cartman
Death Herald

Sunday bump
Old 04-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #18
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
Bone: Not sure how much this helps you, but if you wanted to paypal me the money I would gladly send it to a Pokerstars account for you as a stop gap measure.

I really appreciate the offer but, at least for the moment, I'll wait.

Every bone in my body is saying it's a good thing I can't put the money in there (I have enough credit card debt as it is) but at some point I will do it.

thanks.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

2 hour bump
Old 04-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #20
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Count me in.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #21
cartman
Death Herald

one hour bump.

Six registered, c'mon lets try to get at least a full table.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #22
McSweeny
College Starter

i'm in
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #23
sabotai
General Manager

In
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #24
Simms
FOBL Commish

In
Old 04-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #25
Barkeep49
Coordinator

As an added inducement I will be keeping a diary of my play as go. Make sure to join so you can see how you bluffed my out of my flopped set.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #26
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Ten minutes to go...
Old 04-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #27
Simms
FOBL Commish

FTR...I gotta get my kids into bed at 9, so I might be doing the post-and-fold tango for a couple of orbits.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #28
msf518
n00b

just in there
msf518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

have fun guys. I was gonna play but decided to sit it out for obvious reasons
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #30
Barkeep49
Coordinator

As promised here's my running commentary on an unsuccessful night:

7:59-- So here we are. Looks like we’re going to start with 11 players. I have a challenging, but not impossible table here. I like when we are 5 or 6 players at the start as I find people are conservative and so I often have the chance to steal money.

8:02 – This life blogging is hard. Already before I finished my first entry things had changed. I started off the game in the small blind with 92o. I folded to a raise. There are now 13 people in the tourney.

8:03 – From UTG+2 I get A10o. Cartman and panerd fold to me. I debate a raise and then fold.

8:05 – I get Ad4c in the big blind. Cartman does a min raise. I ‘m going to reraise him to 100.

He calls.

Flop comes 8sJs8c. Cartman bets out 120. I fold.

8:05 – Cartman is an aggressive player who I’ve had some success with. However with so little going I felt no choice but to bow to his aggression.

8:07 – I get 3s3c. UTG+1. I fold. I’m trying not to be first limper.

8:08 I get As5s. panerd does a min raise. Flop comes 6c9c7d. I bet half the pot.

Whoops iampoc is in it too. Turn is Qc. Check, check. River is J? He bets I fold.

8:09 I am dealt KhKs. I raise 3x the BB. Panerd in the sb calls. Flop comes 2d10c5s. I bet half the pot and he folds.

8:10 Very next hand I get 9s9c in the BB. It’s folded around to me. Shucks.

I feel like I’ve already played a little looser then I’d like and my stack at 1335 shows it. I have great success by picking my spots in these tourneys and so while I am not afraid to get aggressive later I think I’m going to play a little more conservatively for the moment.

8:13 Contested hand between matt and cartman. Cartman ends up going all with a flush draw QJc. Matt has two pair: AK. Flop is AK? Which is when they get all-in. Matt has cartman barely covered. Turn comes an Ace and cartman is out. Matt is tourney leader with 3060 in chips way ahead of the next highest at 1795.

8:15 I get AsJh in the small blind. Iampoc raises it 3x the BB ahead of me. Panerd calls. If he hadn’t called I would have but I’m going ot lay this one down. Flop comes Ac5c8h. Turn is 2d. Iampoc bets 100 on the flop and checks the turn to panerd who bets 150. Panerd check raises him to 310 at which point panerd goes allin. Iampoc has AK while panered has a set of fives. River is a 4c and panerd doubles up to 2510 leaving iampoc with only 555. I am oh so glad I folded that hand as even though I’d likely have gotten away after the reraise it’d still have been expensive.

8:18. I am dealt Qs2c in the big blind. Panerd in the sb limps in. I check.

Flop is 5s4h6d. Panerd checks. So do I. Turn is 3s giving me a dummy straight. With the flush draw out there I bet 40 or 2/3 the pot. Panerd calls. River comes 6s about the worse card possible. Panerd bets 150. Trips, full houses, and flushes are all possibilities. I call and lose to the Qc7s. Damn it having the dummy end of the straight. I am down to 1070.

I am now 12th out of the 13 remaining players but with us just in the second blinds at 15/30 I am not concerned. I have played the short stack in these tourneys to success before.

8:23 – Ks10c in the BB. Prime raises it to 90. Iampoc goes all in. I fold.

Prime has 8d8s while poc has As10h. It goes 4hQc3cJh7h. Iampoc is out. So much for not being the short stack at the table.

8:24 I get As9s on the button. Wahoo does a minraises and maple calls. I call as well.

Flop is Qd8c5d. It’s checked all around. River is 8d. I’m leaving this hand to Wahoo’s bet of 120, which just slightly over half the pot. Panerd also folds

Next hand I get KdJd. It’s folded around to me. Seems like a chance to steal the blinds. I raise and it’s folded to me.

Now I have 10s10d. I raise again. Again it’s folded.

Maples, for those keeping track, was moved after iampoc’s going out, which I failed to note.

I get Jd3d in the BB. Maples in the SB completes [He only had a few more chips than I did and it seems like he’s trying to get lucky]. I check.

Flop is 8c2sKh. Maple bets half the pot. I sense a steal. I reraise to 180 [pot was 90 before the bet] and Maples does indeed fold.

8:30 There is still talk of a couple hands ago where Prime reraised kc. KC folded claiming small pair. Prime claimed over cards for a coin flip. In yesterday’s heads up tourney I found prime to be a very solid, but conservative player so I wouldn’t be surprised to find out he had AK or AQ in that situation. Also blinds are now 25/50. I still have more then 20x the BB so I am feeling no pressure at all. I would like to stay at this 20x mark, or there abouts, heading into the final table as I tend to really tighten up at that point until we get closer to the money.

I get 8h5d in the BB. Panerd and maples limp and I check.

Flop is 9d9c2s. I think if I bet here I’d win. I check. Ooh. Wahoo is also in. Especially glad I checked. Turn is 2h and I’m out of this hand.

So with this live blogging I am definitely missing details. Not good. Have to really concentrate on being aware of the table ahead of me.

I get Jd3h in the SB. It’s folded to me and I fold to our chip leader, prime. I want to promote a tight table image right now especially with the big stack to my left.

8:37 I get 4h4s in the BB. Maple completes and I reraise to 200. He folds. While I don’t show there I need to make sure Maple doesn’t think I’m just bullying him which I am, but still.

Next hand I get the KsQd in the sb. I complete and Prime checks. Flop is a dream: Kh3dKd. I bet 75 and prime folds. Think I over bet that hand.

8:39 When it rains it pours: AcAd. Pan has limped in. I raise to 200 again. Prime folds in the SB, kc calls in the BB and pan also calls. Flop is 6sJs8s. I bet 450 into a 625 pot. This would make me pot committed. Matt reraises me all in. I very reluctantly call hoping he’s drawing to the flush. And he’s not with the Ks9s. I am all but drawing dead. When the turn comes the Qd I am now done in 12th place.

And thus ends my running commentary. I think if I hadn’t been in the previous two hands matt would’ve likely folded there. It was a scary board and I was hoping it was scary for others too. Not sure I would play that much differently in the future, though I would love to hear what others say.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #31
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I get Jd3d in the BB. Maples in the SB completes [He only had a few more chips than I did and it seems like he’s trying to get lucky]. I check.

Flop is 8c2sKh. Maple bets half the pot. I sense a steal. I reraise to 180 [pot was 90 before the bet] and Maples does indeed fold.
If I remember right I had middle pair, no kicker. Thought of re-raising but didn't figure it was worth going to war over a little pot at that point.

Good diary, interesting idea.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #32
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Nice journal! It was fun to read!

Quote:
8:13 Contested hand between matt and cartman. Cartman ends up going all with a flush draw QJc. Matt has two pair: AK. Flop is AK? Which is when they get all-in. Matt has cartman barely covered. Turn comes an Ace and cartman is out. Matt is tourney leader with 3060 in chips way ahead of the next highest at 1795.
That was a harder call for me than it probably should have been. I believe the flop was AK9 with two clubs. I feared cartman at the very least had a flush draw or straight draw and possibly even a straight flush draw. I knew my two pair would have only four outs if he hit his flush or his draw, and at that point he had 17 outs. I made the call hoping my pair would hold up. Hitting the ace made me look smarter than I was.

Quote:
8:30 There is still talk of a couple hands ago where Prime reraised kc. KC folded claiming small pair. Prime claimed over cards for a coin flip. In yesterday’s heads up tourney I found prime to be a very solid, but conservative player so I wouldn’t be surprised to find out he had AK or AQ in that situation. Also blinds are now 25/50. I still have more then 20x the BB so I am feeling no pressure at all. I would like to stay at this 20x mark, or there abouts, heading into the final table as I tend to really tighten up at that point until we get closer to the money.

This was an incredibly pivotal hand. I had pocket fives and raised 4 BB hoping to steal the blinds and maybe see a flop and catch a set if need be. Primelord came back at me with a 390 chip raise on my 510. I saw no reason to call -- it was all in or fold at that point. My guess was he had two overcards, but I couldn't rule out a higher pocket pair. Regardless, I figured at best my odds were 50/50, and maybe a lot worse. I saw no reason to risk most of my stack at that point with a bad pocket pair. Classic case of losing a small pot rather than losing a big pot.

This hand was pivotal because later Primelord and I went at it again, this time with 66. I bet 3 BB to 300 and he came back at me with a 6BB raise. There's the poker for dummies rule that if you know your ahead go all-in, if you know you're behind fold and call only if you're not sure. I wasn't sure, so I call. Flop comes 789 and Rick bets 1000. I've flopped an open ended straight draw and I have a lower pair. With Rick coming over the top on me with overcards earlier, I figure now is a good time to come back over the top of him. Seemed like a great idea until he flips over JJ. Now I'm down from ten outs to six since a ten will make him a higher straight. Turn and river were blanks and I was crippled.

I should have seen the trap. It was a great play by Primelord. He sent me up to perfection. I don't know if it would have made a difference if I came back at him over the top preflop. In retrospect, I should have made all-in or fold preflop.

Quote:
8:39 When it rains it pours: AcAd. Pan has limped in. I raise to 200 again. Prime folds in the SB, kc calls in the BB and pan also calls. Flop is 6sJs8s. I bet 450 into a 625 pot. This would make me pot committed. Matt reraises me all in. I very reluctantly call hoping he’s drawing to the flush. And he’s not with the Ks9s. I am all but drawing dead. When the turn comes the Qd I am now done in 12th place.
I was in the BB in for 50 already, so calling another 150 with a decent drawing hand didn't bother me. I thought you were playing a bit loose so I thought you might not have that strong of a hand. A king suited with a 9,T,J or Q is a weakness for me -- I like the draw and straight possibilities, so if I can see a flop with that cheaply I'll often do it. Had I not been in the BB, I probably don't call 200. But with a committment alredy in the pot and defending a blind, I go ahead and call. Obviously once the flop came it was almost over. I know only a suited A beats me, and when you came out betting I figured you must have hit the flop too. I figured with the card distribution you wouldn't have wandered with 97s, so I figured you might be on a draw too. Strong pair was certainly a possibility, but I didn't expect AA. I was just glad an ace of spades wasn't in your hand.

There's not much you can do. It's difficult to lay down AA at anytime. The spades might have slowed me down, but the bet was the right thing to try and win the pot. The only thing I might have done differently in your shoes is go all-in. If I'm on a draw and I've already committed 200, 400 isn't that much of a call. If I was on the draw and you bet all-in, I'd have to commit close to half my stack to call you -- I wouldn't do that for sure.

It's a gray area. You were right about the pot committed. I fully expected you to call once I came back over the top. You had no choice. Not sure you could have avoided disaster without checking the flop and being prepared to toss aces with a possible flush on board. That's a tough call.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #33
sabotai
General Manager

Congrats on the win McSweeny
Old 04-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #34
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Congrats on the win McSweeny

thanks Sab. I didn't think we were ever going to finish. I haven't had that much fun playing heads up in quite awhile
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #35
sabotai
General Manager

Yeah, it was pretty back and forth there for a good while.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:29 AM   #36
Fouts
College Starter

Great read, thanks Barkeep.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #37
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief
thought you were playing a bit loose so I thought you might not have that strong of a hand.

Well thanks for confirming what I thought. Only one that really felt loose out of those three was the reraise with 66.

And glad you liked it Fouts. I would definetly think of doing this again if people enjoyed it, though for obvious reasons I wouldn't do this for all of them. I think if someone else would be willing to do it as well next time it would be interesting seeing what's going on from two perspectives giving it more of a "TV" feel.