Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
WVUFAN
College Starter

Creative wrestling fans wanted

How to word this right ...

I'm involved in a fan-fiction type of wrestling league, and I have effectively written myself into a corner, storyline-wise, and I could use some creative minds on how to get myself out of it.

I know it's a strange question to ask, but since there's a whole lot of really strange people on this board with unique viewpoints, it seems a perfect place to ask.

Anyone be willing to help me out on this?

Last edited by WVUFAN : 05-30-2006 at 09:54 PM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oooh i was an e-fed MASTER once upon a time. lemme help you out bruddah! PoE to the rescue!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
WVUFAN
College Starter

Ok, here's the deal:

THE CHARACTERS:

Dave Hatfield -- this is my character, a heel, West Virginian. 6'5, 260 lbs, and a brawler by trade. He's a hick that thinks he's something more, and is rather good at "cheap heat". He also fancies himself a politician, so much so, he's trying to run for Commissioner of the fed he's in (Total Pro). The problem is, there is no election, and the job isn't up for grabs. Hatfield thinks by intimidating and ultimately eliminating the current Commish, he'll get the job. So far, not worked out that way.

Elyxabeth Nakamura -- Total Pro Commissioner. She's formally a face manager, and was hired to be Commish, which was running fine until Dave Hatfield started "campaigning" for the job on the grounds that she was an "anti-Appalachian". She finally on the recent PPV agreed to a debate, which she won handily. Dave tried to finish the debate by swinging a chair at her. He missed, and she got away. Cue ...

David Goliath -- 7'2, 500 pounds. Big man, and a wrestler formally managed by Nakamora. She's hired to protect Elyxabeta and to either calm down or eliminate Dave Hatfield alltogether. Dave is TERRIFIED of him, so he's trying to do anything to get at Nakamura without having to face Goliath. On the most recent card, while Goliath was wrestling and the commish was commentating on the match at ringside, Hatfield made his way through the crowd, chair in hand, to go after Elyxabeta. He swung again at her, missed and hit the head announcer, putting him in the hospital. When Goliath confronted him, Hatfield did what he does best -- ran.

So now I'm wanting to bring in a tag team as bodyguards for Hatfield, since Nakamora has one, so should he. They are called "The Honor Guard" and consist of Sam Richards, an all american man from Iowa, patriotic as all get out and who one would call a "pure" face in the classic sense. His partner is Rich Greenspear, a german who gets angry easily, but also is pure at heart. Think of the nicest face tag team you can think of and that's them.

And I want to make them a heel's bodyguard going after a woman. Which is fine, but I'm having difficulties trying to justify it as something more than "they're bad now". I want there to be a reasonable reason why they're doing what they are. I find the best heels are the ones that have a point -- Bret Hart's "anti-american" heel group and Kurt Angle's heel side as examples.

So ... I can provide copies of cards if needed ... how do I turn them and have it make sense?

Last edited by WVUFAN : 05-30-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that Hatfield has somehow convinced Richards & Greenspear that he's actually the good guy in the scenario. Faked evidence -- photos, videotape, recordings, whatever could be faked -- that is so compelling & convincing that the tag duo believes wholly & completely that they really are doing the right thing. For this to work, Nakamura has to at least give the appearance of possibly being guilty, enough so that even some of her supporters has at least a tiny inkling of doubt.

It allows Hatfield to remain the clear heel (and ultimately perhaps even a bigger heel), there's a good bit of room for Richards & Greenspear to have a decent secondary storyline after the scam is ultimately revealed (soul searching over their mistake, conflicted about involving themselves in anything for fear of being wrong again, etc), and Nakamura is eventually exonerated and stands to get an additional bump in popularity after standing her ground, defending herself when things appeared hopeless, etc.

Basically, you turn them by not turning them -- you're giving them a way to explain their actions in the end while still using them for (ultimately) villainous purposes as needed.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-30-2006 at 10:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
Flasch186
Coordinator

without an election for Commissioner there is a lack of democracy in the Fed. Freedom is what America is about and the Faces see that all you want is fairness and freedom via an election of sorts. Its American, Its right, and the Fed deserves to have a fair election for a commissioner....they may not care if you win but that's not what they agree with you on. Perhaps thats a tense thing in and of itself, because your heel character is consistently trying to play that "fair, freedom, America" card and NOT the fact that he actually wants to win in said election. He has to use sarcasm, wit, and keep the face team defending the drive towards an election and not your heel's actual winning...could be fun and then have the election be rigged to have Hatfield win and the Faces find fraud int he election leading them to be the major heat with Hatfield. Could be an awesome turn in the end.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 05-30-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

maybe with a wink-wink nudge-nudge that they're just doing it to set Hatfield up for a bigger fall? Or maybe some sort of blackmail of them? Or else something where the iowa farmboy and the WV guy have being hicks in common, and invent a hick background for the german? maybe they've all been looked down on by city-folk all their lives?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I love e-wrestling! I haven't played in about 6 years. I used to play all the time back from 94-99. Played in a lot of the r.s.p.w-f leagues, IIWF, NLWP, SCRA, EMWC, etc.

I like the idea that you have. I'd say keep your tag team as faces for the most impact.

Have Hatfield approach them and ask for help. Use some situation that you just made up which may make Nakamura appear a bit sketchy (it didn't even need to actually happen), and then have Hatfield appeal to the Honor Guard's need to do justice and twist it against them. You could even show Hatfield laughing at them as soon as they go off after Nakamura. Eventually the Honor Guard realizes what they've done but are in it too deep, and Hatfield has some sort of control over them.

Kinda makes Hatfield look all the more evil for corrupting the good guys.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota
I love e-wrestling! I haven't played in about 6 years. I used to play all the time back from 94-99. Played in a lot of the r.s.p.w-f leagues, IIWF, NLWP, SCRA, EMWC, etc.

I like the idea that you have. I'd say keep your tag team as faces for the most impact.

Have Hatfield approach them and ask for help. Use some situation that you just made up which may make Nakamura appear a bit sketchy (it didn't even need to actually happen), and then have Hatfield appeal to the Honor Guard's need to do justice and twist it against them. You could even show Hatfield laughing at them as soon as they go off after Nakamura. Eventually the Honor Guard realizes what they've done but are in it too deep, and Hatfield has some sort of control over them.

Kinda makes Hatfield look all the more evil for corrupting the good guys.

Wow I remember all those feds.

Spreadsbury was a maniac. He put out encyclopedias for cards.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
oooh i was an e-fed MASTER once upon a time. lemme help you out bruddah! PoE to the rescue!

Same here. I was a regular in the newgroup (RSPWF). It was a lot of fun for awhile, but I found the good feds were few and far between, and they usually didn't stay good for long (egos clashing and such). If they did, they were impossible to get into.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
WVUFAN
College Starter

I was in a group of feds called "the Summit", and one of the founders, a guy named Jeff Berry, ran the FAQ for RSPWF. He now helps to run Total Pro, the fed I'm running this angle on. I remember some of those feds Mota mentioned, but I was never in any of them.

I've been in e-feds on and off since 1993. Typing that suddenly made me feel very old.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 05-30-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:48 PM   #11
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Maybe you remember "Heatseeker" Derek Mota? That was my character.

I loved the IIWF. You could just about live that fed, let alone play in it. There was just so much content.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
WVUFAN
College Starter

The thing I remember about RSPWF is I was heavily in a "Sim vs Booked" argument that turned into a full-on flame war until it settled down.

Good times.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:56 PM   #13
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:

I loved the IIWF. You could just about live that fed, let alone play in it. There was just so much content.

For some reason, I do remember that name. Can't picture where though -- it's been so long since I've been on RSPWF.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:01 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I remember that character. Way back in the day, I read a ton of the IIWF cards while at work.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #15
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

You can have it for a plethora of different reasons. Perhaps similar to Bret's heel turn.

Have Richards and Greenspar turn on the fans. Perhaps let them have an agenda with Nakamura holding them back?"Where did our loyalty to the fans get us? Nowhere. You fans have no sense of morals, you cheer for whomever you think is cool... not for who you think is right. Where did our loyalty to the current Commish get us? Nothing? No titles, no fame, no thanks. Now we're doing what's right for US, and we're siding with someone who can do US right."

That would give enough reason for the two to side with Hatfield.

Or an even more elaborate plot... have Hatfield hire goons (weak and pathetic, but goons nonetheless) to harrass Nakamura and Goliath. And then have Richards and Greenspar help... only to turn on Goliath and maye "de-commission" Nakamura.

From there, you can develop a storyline where Richards and Greenspan probably feud over their rightful position in Hatfield's fed, with one guy (Richards, perhaps?) going back to being a face... a bigger face, since this time, he's looking to right his wrongs and redeem himself.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:33 AM   #16
gildawg
n00b

Here's what you do. Have your face tag team in a championship match or #1 contender match if your champs are faces as well. Near the end and when it's looking like they are going to win have Hatfield get involved somehow and them Goliath comes and attacks him but misses and hits Richards or Greenspar and causes them to lose. Richards and Greenspar complain to the commish, and she grants a re-match in a cage to keep others out. Again Hatfield and Goliath get involved on the outside, possibly knocking out the ref, so Rogers and greenspar wins but the ref doesn't see it. Then the other team with the help of Hatfield wins, of course Greenspar and Rogers only see Goliath. So as they are outside the ring to talk to him, the commish comes out to demand a re-start but before she can, Hatfield has her cornered in the cage. Goliath pushes Greenspar and Rogers down to get passed them to Hatfield. This makes them snap and as Hatfield gets ready to hit the commish with the chair, Goliath makes the save and the commish escapes. As he has Hatfield in his grasp, Greenspar and Rogers attacks Goliath and this commences in the 3 on 1 beatdown. Then next show, they are a white hot heel team.
gildawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:03 AM   #17
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

FOFC E-Fed? That would be fun...
Old 05-31-2006, 08:16 AM   #18
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that Hatfield has somehow convinced Richards & Greenspear that he's actually the good guy in the scenario. Faked evidence -- photos, videotape, recordings, whatever could be faked -- that is so compelling & convincing that the tag duo believes wholly & completely that they really are doing the right thing. For this to work, Nakamura has to at least give the appearance of possibly being guilty, enough so that even some of her supporters has at least a tiny inkling of doubt.

It allows Hatfield to remain the clear heel (and ultimately perhaps even a bigger heel), there's a good bit of room for Richards & Greenspear to have a decent secondary storyline after the scam is ultimately revealed (soul searching over their mistake, conflicted about involving themselves in anything for fear of being wrong again, etc), and Nakamura is eventually exonerated and stands to get an additional bump in popularity after standing her ground, defending herself when things appeared hopeless, etc.

Basically, you turn them by not turning them -- you're giving them a way to explain their actions in the end while still using them for (ultimately) villainous purposes as needed.
This is what I was thinking as well. Another possible storyline coming out of this after The Honor Guard finds out that they're duped is the formation of a face stable consisting of Nakamura, Goliath and The Honor Guard.

You can turn someone well or you can turn them poorly. One of the best turns was Hulk Hogan's turn to the nWo. That was well-executed and probably the best thing to happen in the WCW during Bischoff's run. They made it seem plausible that he would turn on the WCW since he turned on the management instead of fans. Bret Hart's turn in the WWF, on the other hand, wasn't well-executed. They wanted to match Steve Austin up against Bret Hart and one of them had to be the heel. That was the dawn of the "WWF Attitude" and it seemed as if Bret got mad at the fans instead of management...and he only got mad at a certain population of fans (U.S. fans).
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 AM   #19
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
This is what I was thinking as well. Another possible storyline coming out of this after The Honor Guard finds out that they're duped is the formation of a face stable consisting of Nakamura, Goliath and The Honor Guard.

You can turn someone well or you can turn them poorly. One of the best turns was Hulk Hogan's turn to the nWo. That was well-executed and probably the best thing to happen in the WCW during Bischoff's run. They made it seem plausible that he would turn on the WCW since he turned on the management instead of fans. Bret Hart's turn in the WWF, on the other hand, wasn't well-executed. They wanted to match Steve Austin up against Bret Hart and one of them had to be the heel. That was the dawn of the "WWF Attitude" and it seemed as if Bret got mad at the fans instead of management...and he only got mad at a certain population of fans (U.S. fans).

I'd rather say that Bret's turn was great, because it was a turn that basically involved the fans... they had Bret drop hints of turning heel against the anti-hero Austin. They have a classic WM13 match, and the fans did the double-turn for them... one of the rarest things to ever happen in wrestling... the next day, Bret addressed the US fans and successfully fueled the fire between the WWF's US fans and Canadian fans.

The problem was, that Bret, personally, didn't really want to turn heel that way. He didn't know how he could turn face again after alienating the US fans. But it was the direction that the company had to go.

To this day, I still think that the USA-Canada feud was one of the highlights of the WWF in the '90s. And I still hold In Your House: Canadian Stampede as the greatest WWF PPV ever.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:54 AM   #20
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm not saying that Bret's turn was successful...because it was. What I was criticizing was the plausibility of it. There were still a lot of cheers for Bret at WM XIII (remember, this was only one year after he dropped the title to Shawn Michaels after the Iron Man Match). I never saw him as a selfish wrestler. He became selfish in the fact that he wanted the cheers for him and not for Steve Austin. Even when he wrestled Owen, he recognized that it was his brother; he was the bigger man in that feud. It just wasn't plausible that he would be selfish in my mind.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #21
WVUFAN
College Starter

I appreciate the help on this. I think I'm gonna take Jon's suggestion, with a bit of Flasch's idea.

On a side note, if there's interest in a FOFC e-fed, lemme know and I can set one up.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #22
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
I appreciate the help on this. I think I'm gonna take Jon's suggestion, with a bit of Flasch's idea.

On a side note, if there's interest in a FOFC e-fed, lemme know and I can set one up.

woohoo, id love to read the results.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #23
WVUFAN
College Starter

Flasch:

Here's a link to the released parts of the most recent card -- it has the part where Hatfield goes after Elyxabeta with a chair and hits the announcer instead.

http://home.comcast.net/~summitwrestling/4Bpartone.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~summitwrestling/4Bparttwo.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~summitwrestling/4Bpartthree.htm

I have two characters in angles: Damien Omega and Dave Hatfield. Constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #24
WVUFAN
College Starter

Shamless Plug!

I'm here with yet another shameless plug for my friend's e-fed, where I've been doing the recent Dave Hatfield/David Goliath feud I received help for on this thread.

We're nearing a PPV, and in that PPV there's a battle royale for a secondary title. We have 20 participants, but we would love to have 10 more characters for the match. Again, since we have a mixture of good writers and wrestling fans here, this is the place I'm going to see if there's interest.

We're looking for 3 to 4 more players. It's an extremely casual fed, and cards only come out every two weeks or so. Great opportunity for those who want to exercise those creative muscles! The cards are very well written, and it's an established fed that won't die next week (the players have been in the same sets of feds since '92.).

Can the fine folks of FOFC come to the rescue? I think many of you would enjoy a game like this. PM me or post here for details.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 06-06-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #25
steelerdaddy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
I'm here with yet another shameless plug for my friend's e-fed, where I've been doing the recent Dave Hatfield/David Goliath feud I received help for on this thread.

We're nearing a PPV, and in that PPV there's a battle royale for a secondary title. We have 20 participants, but we would love to have 10 more characters for the match. Again, since we have a mixture of good writers and wrestling fans here, this is the place I'm going to see if there's interest.

We're looking for 3 to 4 more players. It's an extremely casual fed, and cards only come out every two weeks or so. Great opportunity for those who want to exercise those creative muscles! The cards are very well written, and it's an established fed that won't die next week (the players have been in the same sets of feds since '92.).

Can the fine folks of FOFC come to the rescue? I think many of you would enjoy a game like this. PM me or post here for details.

One other note - I'm the fedhead for this fed that Eric's in. I've had it mentioned to me that one of the big...not ISSUES, per se, but stumbling blocks, is that the rules seem confusing to some.

By and large, MatchMatch is by no means my favorite ruleset. But it's the one that I have time to use given my RL schedule (which leaves only a little hobby time for hobbies that include two FOF leagues and a DC Heroes based Livejournal roleplay) - it's creator, Jeff Berry (Plague Dog in the fed and a longtime e-fedder), has a computer program that spits out results and a basic framework for the match in seconds. From there, matches are created using input from both sides of the match as well as the scripter, using the finish generated from the match strats.

If anyone wants some tips/tricks for both stat creation and putting together a strat, I'm fine with that. Nothing sucks more than not knowing the rules very well and losing a lot because of it right off the bat, so drop me a line at [email protected] if you need some input.

Later on!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #26
Comey
College Starter

I'm still somewhat in an efed, at www.fwowrestling.com . We have some WWE ties (though slight now), and some references on WWE TV have been to us.

WVUFan, I'm going to assume you have a message board of eW-related stuff, but if you're looking for another community, try www.ewnweb.net . It's not what it was when it was a previous community, but the dicks there are okay.

Well, most of them. It's still eW, and it's still emoriffic personalities all lumped onto one board. And me.

-John

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #27
steelerdaddy
n00b

Bumping to state that we still have room/need for creative handlers and some "fresh blood". If you're into the concept of e-wrestling, and have other qualms/issues keeping you from jumping in, please PM me - I'm sure we can work something out.

If you've been talking to WVUfan as well, if you could PM me directly so I know you're in the mix, I'd appreciate it - he's been great in "pimpin'" the league, but with the MMA league restarting, he's got limited time to keep reporting back to me.

Thanks guys!