Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Any developers here use ClearCase + Visual Studio .Net 2003?

I'm having major issues trying to work disconnected form our ClearCase server. I've been trying to open our projects all day and it is just sloooow. (Lots of game time though!) Anyway, I know this is a shot in the dark, but if anyone has experience with working with the integration between these two products please drop me a line.

mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's been a few years (03/04), but I'll try....

First of all, has it been working fine, and now it's not working? If so, have you installed/reinstalled something recently? One thing we noticed was that if you installed VS after CC, it hosed a bunch of stuff and the connection between the two didn't really work well.

Secondly, if you're working "disconnected", you're using snapshot views, right? If you're not, and still in a dynamic view, then I'd imagine VS is trying to checkout a whole bunch of "administrative" VS files and timing out trying to connect to the server as it starts up.

To expand on that a bit: when VS starts up, it wants to grab and lock on to a whole bunch of miscellaneous files, which appear to contain data on what it's doing, what it's done, etc.... Typical MS bloat, anyway.... We debated long and hard about whether or not these should be checked into CC, and in the end decided not to, because it was always such a ridiculous hassle when you opened up VS.

If you're working "disconnected" and you have a snapshot view, have you already checked out a bunch of files (while connected), or are you just hijacking at will? This is, I'd have to say, another problem with the combination of the two. VS opens and locks so many random files that all of our developers had so many hijacked files to deal with that they all ended up going back to dynamic views anyway, where at least they were checking them out.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little, even though I'm afraid it won't.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote