Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Little League WS moved up to 5pm

I thought there was a thread about the LLWS, but I couldn't find it. Figured this might interest a few people here, so I'll post just in case.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/spo...8columbus.html

Title game moved to 5 p.m.
Columbus North, Japan will play today

From staff reports
Published on: 08/28/06

South Williamsport, Pa. — Due to rain in the weather forecast, the 2006 Little League World Series title game has been changed to 5 p.m. today.

Columbus North and Japan were scheduled to play at 8 p.m. after Sunday's game was rained out. Tournament officials moved up the game 3 hours after checking with forecasters.

The game will be televised live on ESPN. WSB-TV will air it on a delayed basis at 8 p.m.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Good luck Columbus. You guys knocked out our squad from NH.

I think with their ace going they can give Japan a game. That kid can pitch.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

I noticed the waterlogged field while flipping through channels yesterday.

Also, it didn't look like they had a tarp covering the field (but maybe I'm just misremembering). If so, what the hell? The premier Little League event on the globe, and you can't afford a tarp for the field when it rains?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And, contrary to the article I posted, apparently the game will be on ESPN2, not ESPN (according to Espn.com at least)
Old 08-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

Yep, on the duece.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A honey of a play at home plate right there.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very good baseball game.
If it's replayed & you're a fan of the game, it's worth a watch IMO.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Man, that was such an awesome game. I'm glad Carter getting gunned at the plate ended up not having a real effect on the game. His pitching performance was amazing.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...sptllbase.html

Health scare fails to keep Little League champ down
Kyle: Health scare 'won't affect my pitching'

By MICHELLE HISKEY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 12/20/06

Kyle Carter, who pitched his Columbus Little League team to the World Series title in August, expects to be released from a hospital today after suffering a seizure a week after nearly dying from fluid buildup in his brain.

"It was kind of scary," Kyle, 12, said Tuesday by cellphone from his room at HPRC at The Medical Center in Columbus, where he has been hospitalized twice this month. "I do feel lucky."

Kyle, who became the first pitcher to win four games in the Little League World Series, has had a shunt in his head since he was 4 months old. The shunt was inserted to fight hydrocephalus, an abnormal accumulation of fluid. The shun t drains the excess fluid from his brain into his stomach.

Kyle started having persistent headaches last month after a collision with a teammate at basketball practice. The seventh-grader at Midland Middle School told his mother he "felt his shunt pop," Cindy Carter recalled. The family wasn't too worried at first.

A few weeks went by, but the headaches remained. Kyle continued the celebrity duties that come with being a Little League champion, like flipping the switch for the hospital's Christmas tree. He had no idea he'd soon be a patient.

The family scheduled a visit to a neurosurgeon Dec. 12 but moved it to Dec. 7 because of Kyle's pain. A brain scan showed that the shunt was shattered, and fluid was collecting.

"If I had waited five days, I could have died," Kyle said.

His mom said: "I guess we really just didn't realize the seriousness of it."

Surgeons installed a new shunt. Two days later, Kyle left the hospital.

A week later, he was playing Ping-Pong at Columbus Northern teammate Ryan Lang's house when he had a seizure.

"I put my paddle down and dropped to my knees. I felt dizzy and I couldn't stop spinning," Kyle said.

Lang's father, a fire chief, took the appropriate steps to handle the seizure, Cindy Carter said.

Back in the hospital, Kyle and his family learned from doctors that his seizure was probably brought on by him staying up too late, not getting enough sleep, taking antibiotics or other factors that shouldn't affect him in the future.

"It's hard to tell. He may never have another one," Cindy Carter said. "These tests are precautionary things, and if they don't find anything, they'll let us go home."

Kyle was scheduled to have another test on his brain, an electroencephalogram (EEG, which measures electrical activity), before being released from the hospital today.

Kyle's team became the first from Georgia in 23 years to win the Little League World Series title, and only the second in history. Kyle allowed only one run in the tournament in South Williamsport, Pa., dominating hitters with an imposing fastball. In a 2-1 victory over Japan in the championship game, the left-hander gave up just three hits and struck out 11.

Kyle wants to finish his basketball season, but his mother has concerns. However, she said he will certainly be playing baseball this season.

"It won't affect my pitching," Kyle said.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

I am glad that everything turned out OK for this child and his family, but my question is......If your son told you he felt his shunt pop, wouldn't you have called your Doctor immediately? I hate to seem critical and we don't know how bad it seemed at the time, but that would just be scary for me......

Again, happy it all turned out fine.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote