Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2003, 11:18 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

OT - Half Life 2

I decided to get the Gamespot subscription. Mainly because of the E3 stuff.

I downloaded all of the videos for Half-Life 2. All I can say is...wow. This game looks liek it's going to be awesome. I can't wait til October. (Supposed to be released at end of September, so I'll prolly get it in October).

The things they can with their Source Engine is amazing. And the game looks incredible.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 11:27 PM   #2
Calis
College Starter

Yeah, very impressed with how this one looks, it managed to beat Doom 3's engine in every category other than models in my opinion. Seeing some of those videos, the physics engine they have implemented is just superb.

I'm not an overly big FPS fan, but I think this is one that I'll get hyped about, just for the fact of what I can think it can do for gaming as a whole.

Also, Troika is making an Action-RPG using the Vampire the Masquerade setting which uses the Source engine, now that I can't wait for.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 11:30 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it's unreal how much better HL2 looks than HL, and I thought it was incredible when it came out. It's a wonder how much better and better graphics are getting in games.

My daughter always wonders how I like playing a game like FOF4. She says, "Are you playing that text game again? The one with the scoreboard that flashes all those numbers?" Yep, honey.. go back to your gamecube now.

I hope HL2 can run on a medicore system.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:33 AM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

I watched the interview they did for Gamespot. They are aiming to have the game run acceptibly on a 700 Mhz machine with like a TNT graphics card.

I don't know how they are going to pull it off, but by the sound of it they are going to. (It'll probably look bad, but at least it'll run. )
Old 05-20-2003, 01:25 AM   #5
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Re: OT - Half Life 2

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
(Supposed to be released at end of September, so I'll prolly get it in October).

You're such an optimist. If the release date is September, isn't it obvious that it's a Christmas release?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:03 AM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
I watched the interview they did for Gamespot. They are aiming to have the game run acceptibly on a 700 Mhz machine with like a TNT graphics card.

I don't know how they are going to pull it off, but by the sound of it they are going to. (It'll probably look bad, but at least it'll run. )

That's good news, I have a P4 2.0g PC, I just figured by then my pc would be 'average'. If it can run on a 700mhz pc, I should be ok. I would like to upgrade my video card from a GF4 to a Ti card sometime soon though.

Todd
Old 05-20-2003, 02:04 PM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I've also heard that HL2 will be able to run on low-end systems. However, don't expect the game to look anywhere near as good on your system as it did in the demo movies unless you've got a top-end video card, tons of ram and a beefy processor. The way games work is that they have multiple LOD's (levels of detail) available to improve performance - an object way in the distance will be rendered with 150 polys for example, but as it get's closer to the camera will be swapped out with a 1000-poly version, then a 5,000 poly version. For the low-end machines though, the higher LOD models won't be loaded. Similarly, certain lighting effects, shadow effects, shading techniqes etc. will be turned off on lower-end machines.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 02:37 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

"You're such an optimist. If the release date is September, isn't it obvious that it's a Christmas release? "

Actually, it usually means don't expect it for another year, but in this case I guess I am being too optimistic. Let's just say I can't wait to be playing it some time next year.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:43 PM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

buying a new video card soon, partly with an eye to this game.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #10
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
buying a new video card soon, partly with an eye to this game.

I'm afraid I might have to do the same, although I think RAM will be my next purchase.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dawgfan,

Figured that, but good news nonetheless. I have 512meg of ram, 2.0gig proc, and a Geforce 4 MX video card... as DD says, I plan on updating this to a Radeon or a GF Ti sometime in the near future.

Todd
Old 05-20-2003, 03:04 PM   #12
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm cool on RAM (768) processor is a bit slow (Athlon 1.2), but that's a "down-the road" upgrade.

It looks like I'm going to get the ATI 9600 Pro - not quite the fastest card out there, but it's got a pretty good bang for the buck ($200 retail, but I think I can get one for about $100). A nice upgrade from my GeForce 3, I think.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:08 PM   #13
Calis
College Starter

Let me throw my blatant fanboy'ism out here and tell anyone who's pondering on a GF4/9700 to stop thinking about it, and get a frigging 9700, man I love this card.

Unfortunately I think I'll be needing a proc for this sucker, which in my case means buying RAM over again also more than likely, as I'm stuck with RAMBUS right now, oh how I regret that move.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 03:16 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

For awhile I wanted a GF Ti 4200 card, you could get em for $99. Since it's going to be a month or two on my purchase, I have been including Radeon in my choices. I need to read up on these cards again when it gets closer to getting one.

Todd
Old 05-20-2003, 11:19 PM   #15
AgPete
College Prospect

I know Doom 3 is getting a lot of hype but I am looking forward to Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex 2 much more than I am Doom. Doom looks like the same old thing with terrific graphics. Half-Life and Deus Ex are known for excellent stories and FPS interaction. Did you guys see the Gamespot video with the gun that grabs things and throws them? Or the video where the player blew things off the roof to strategically land on enemies below? Or the video with the player hiding in a house and the enemy outside slowly blowing his way in? Impressive looking game.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:40 PM   #16
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Last I heard, DE2: Invisible War will be out in less than a month. Great, now I just need to get some throw-away money by then. Oh for the good old days before the layoff.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:05 AM   #17
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

you know, I had set aside the summer to finally finish Baldur's Gate 2. I guess now I'm screwed.