Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
14ers
High School Varsity

Why don't Movies theaters sell Beer?

I have always wondered why this was, as this No Beer philosophy seems like a bad business decision to me. Setup a separate Beer Stand in the concession area just like they do at public stadiums and you are set. with movies only being 1.5 to 2 hrs people will not have enough time to get too drunk and charge around $6.00 for a 32oz beer and you are set.

Is there some unwritten Hollywood rule that theater owners are not allowed to sell alcohol, or they risk not being able to order movies?

Last edited by 14ers : 04-12-2007 at 01:19 PM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
PSUColonel
Banned

a very good point.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Hopefully they'll let me bring a cooler in.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

no, couple of theatres around here serve beer and wine.

actually you eat dinner while watching the movies. they have huge reclining chairs and tables. it's a trip man.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
bryce
High School Varsity

or just sneak in a flask, buy a $3.00 coke, and you're set...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

The Loews theatre around here has the 'Loews Club' which I think is similar to what rkmsuf describes.

I more interested in why I can't drink at work. People take smoke breaks. Same thing.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

Civility is already fairly low during movies, I don't see how introducing alcohol into the equation is going to help.

I think the reason more theaters don't do this is it's not easy in a lot of places to get an alcohol license, so most don't bother.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

Its probably a cost benefit analysis. The cost of a liquor license plus whatever security methods you need to make sure kids aren't drinking isn't justified by the potential revenue.

That's my guess.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There was a "Cinema Cafe" when I lived in virginia, and you could order food and beer and watch a movie. Mainly they showed moves that would be on video soon, though. Neat concept.

The only thing I can think of is that if they sold beer, with it being dark there would be a good chance that minors would be able to get access I suppose.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Having to put up with loud and obnoxious people in a movie theater already has me not going to the movies most of the time. Putting alcohol into those people would probably end my desire to ever go to a movie theater.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

http://www.chunkys.com/index.asp

What is Chunky's all about anyway?
Well what we do here at Chunky's is pretty amazing. First, we seat you at a table in one of our spacious cinemas. Depending on the cinema your movie is playing in, our tables are designed to accommodate 2 to 8 people. Your leather chair is the driver or passenger seat from a Limousine and will have one armrest, recline, and is on wheels. Next, why not check out our diverse menu. Your waiter or waitress will be around to take your order so you don't have to miss any of the good parts! Quench that thirst and grab a bite to eat. Our menu selections currently include beer & wine, (21 and over only) soft drinks, and a variety of pub-style food selections. Get there early and enjoy your meal before the movie starts. Most theaters will open at least an hour before the movie starts. You may also order throughout the movie.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #12
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
no, couple of theatres around here serve beer and wine.

actually you eat dinner while watching the movies. they have huge reclining chairs and tables. it's a trip man.

There's that "premium theater" in, I think, Framingham, MA (If I'm remembering right and you're in MA). It's nice, but I wouldn't do it too often - something like $25 per ticket, then you half to pay for (over-priced) beer and food on top of that. There's also a second-run theater in Auburn that's BYOB - never been there.

And the obvious problem with beer at the movies is it may require a bathroom break.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
14ers
High School Varsity

But, with a time of only 1.5 - 2 hours I don't think these crazy drunks that people are worried about would be a factor. Unless they come into the theater already drunk.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's that "premium theater" in, I think, Framingham, MA (If I'm remembering right and you're in MA). It's nice, but I wouldn't do it too often - something like $25 per ticket, then you half to pay for (over-priced) beer and food on top of that. There's also a second-run theater in Auburn that's BYOB - never been there.

And the obvious problem with beer at the movies is it may require a bathroom break.

never heard of the premium place you mention but at the Chunky's place the movie tickets themselves are cheap.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Cities typically have a few "Brew 'n Views" where you can go watch a movie, get beer, eat a meal, etc. The ones I've been to usually have some theater-like seats up front and then tables and stuff in the back.

I've always had a great time going to them. The crowd has always been well-behaved, more so than in your typical theater.

I saw the "Fellowship of The Ring" at one of those. It was like the third or fourth time I saw it in the theater. Between me and my friend we split some ridiculous number pitchers (it's a long movie). It was also a double-feature, with "Daredevil" at the back-end. Our spirits were high and we were quite lubricated so we decided to stick around for it. We actually both enjoyed the movie, which should go to show you just how drunk we were. (I have seen since parts of Daredevil on cable, enough to know that movie is horrible).

All in all, I've always liked the brew 'n view setup.

I am not sure it would work too well in a traditional theater setting though. I would probably be against such a thing.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
But, with a time of only 1.5 - 2 hours I don't think these crazy drunks that people are worried about would be a factor. Unless they come into the theater already drunk.

You don't have much experience being around lightweights, do you? And people don't need to be sloppy drunk to push their loud and obnoxious levels up a few notches. I've met people who could simply get a good buzz going and become the biggest assholes you would ever meet.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #17
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
never heard of the premium place you mention but at the Chunky's place the movie tickets themselves are cheap.

It's part of the regular big AMC in Framingham (1 of their 30 screens is premium). I will check out Chunky's next time I'm back in the northeast.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #18
Tigercat
College Starter

Alamo drafthouses are the best drink and food theaters I've been to. All the seatings have tables in front of them where you can eat and watch a movie(and all the seats are comfortable movie theater style too.) Decent choice of brews at all the ones I have been to, and the food is pretty good.

(Don't know if they expanded past Austin yet...)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #19
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Tallahassee had a place like that - it was basically a bar-turned-movie theater that served alcohol and food. I think it closed while I was in law school, because I only remember going there once, and there was so little to do in Tally that I believe we would have gone more than once if we had the opportunity.

I remember seeing Pacific Heights there, btw.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #20
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

It's been stated above. The biggest roadblock is a liquor license, both in cost and qualification.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #21
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

There are two or three theatres near me that serve beer.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #22
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
It's been stated above. The biggest roadblock is a liquor license, both in cost and qualification.
I don't think this would be a factor as most theaters would qualify as a restaurant by the amount of food they serve. If I can get a Beer at my local junior college baseball game, or some small dive Pizza place the cost can't be that much.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think this would be a factor as most theaters would qualify as a restaurant by the amount of food they serve. If I can get a Beer at my local junior college baseball game, or some small dive Pizza place the cost can't be that much.

I imagine you're underestimating the differences from jurisdiction to jurisdiction regarding rules for restaurants vs the rules for venues like ballparks vs rules for other places that are neither.

Of course, I'm kind of surprised that you can get a beer at a j.c. baseball game (unless they're playing at a non-school facility) so in that jurisdiction I'm guessing the guidelines might not be as restrictive as in some others.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #24
JHandley
High School Varsity

I think you're missing the fact that when a minor gets caught drinking on a property, the property owner and the individual that sold the alcohol are liable. The establishment faces big fines and the indivudual would face fines and/or jail time (depending on which offense this is). That would send the price of beer in a tightly packed, dark, theater frequented by an overwhelming number of under 21 patrons, through the roof. In order for the movie theater to pay for the fines and the security, I'm guessing a beer would run in the neighborhood of $15-$20. Not to mention, now you're making the guy who can just barely figure out the nacho cheese machine, liable for fines and jailtime for not spotting a fake ID.

The only way beer gets served in an environment like that is if you seperate the theaters into Over 21 and Under 21. Something like what has been described before, places that serve beer and dinner.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
charge around $6.00 for a 32oz beer

Dude, theaters charge almost $6 for a 32oz soda, you think they're gonna sell beer that cheap?

More like ten bucks for a 32oz beer...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #26
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Could simply be a liquor license issue in a lot areas.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #27
Tigercat
College Starter

Even though places like this do exist, I wonder if liquor licenses could be an issue for theaters?
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #28
Easy Mac

Don't you have to be over 21 to serve alcohol? When I worked at a theater, about 99% of the workers were under the age of 18, let alone 21.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #29
fjvieane
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Don't you have to be over 21 to serve alcohol? When I worked at a theater, about 99% of the workers were under the age of 18, let alone 21.

LOL this is what I was just thinking......
fjvieane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #30
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Having to put up with loud and obnoxious people in a movie theater already has me not going to the movies most of the time. Putting alcohol into those people would probably end my desire to ever go to a movie theater.

I agree completely.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #31
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Nope, 18.

And I know that one of the bowling allies around here gets around this issue is when someone orders alcohol from a 16 or 17 year old waitress, they go and get someone who's 18+ to take the order and bring the booze over...

Old 04-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #32
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Alamo drafthouses are the best drink and food theaters I've been to. All the seatings have tables in front of them where you can eat and watch a movie(and all the seats are comfortable movie theater style too.) Decent choice of brews at all the ones I have been to, and the food is pretty good.

(Don't know if they expanded past Austin yet...)

QFT. They regularly win "Best Theater in the Nation" awards.

Alamo Drafthouses started the recent trend of serving beer and food while showing a movie. They definitely provide a great movie watching experience. They have expanded outside of Austin, but are still Texas only:

hxxp://www.alamodrafthouse.com/
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #33
fjvieane
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Nope, 18.

And I know that one of the bowling allies around here gets around this issue is when someone orders alcohol from a 16 or 17 year old waitress, they go and get someone who's 18+ to take the order and bring the booze over...

Now is this all states or ???? I don't drink so I am not sure.

Last edited by fjvieane : 04-12-2007 at 06:41 PM.
fjvieane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #34
JeeberD
General Manager

*shrug*

All I know is that Texas is very strict with its alcohol laws, so if it's 18 here I would assume it's 18 most places...