Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Hurst2112
College Starter

Shameless promotion of latest engineering project

EDIT: Links are to myspace sites. Nothing vulgar but may not be cool at work.

Finished mixing a band called Buried By Hope

You can check out one of the 3 songs at my studio page:

Gettysburg Studio

Parting Lines

Song was tracked, mixed and mastered by me in my basement studio.

Reviews and critiques are more than welcome. Aside from the list of 'things I would change or fix' that I have compiled, I would welcome some other suggestions.

I already talked to the band about doing more on the chorus'. More harmonies and doubling. The vocals are weak at the chorus'.

I have 2 other songs from them if anybody is interested. I can email them to whomever likes this kind of stuff.

thanks

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 05-11-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Okay, the music is definitely something my wife loves. I'll have her take a listen and give critiques, but as far as the audio quality, I am envious. It is nice to hear music from those who are good audio engineers and not hobbyists (like myself). Good work sir.

Last edited by Antmeister : 05-11-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: left out a word
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
Hurst2112
College Starter

Thanks man! I was hopin you would chime in.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Needs more King's X.

OK, I'll actually listen to it now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
Ksyrup

Your instinct about the chorus is right. You could get really creative and expand the vocals there. Of course, I favor the juxtaposition of the heavy music/screamed verses with a layered harmony chorus vocal, but I don't know to what extent the band would be comfortable with that. I know some bands don't want to come off as "wimpy" by GASP! putting in harmonies, or overdoing the clean vocals because that makes them less HARDCORE METAL.

Send me the MP3s. I kinda like this stuff, but I can't hear it so well on the myspace site. The bass seems a bit "clicky" to me. The intro reminds me of another song I can't quite place. I kinda like the noodly/math rock parts.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
Hurst2112
College Starter

The bass thing gave me fits. The version you are hearing is revision 3. I orig had the bass set like it is in metal...sorta buried but there. It follows the gtrs so there isn't a lot of 'geddy lee' going on.

Bass player was whining that he couldn't hear himself. So, I changed it, brought up the lows a lot more and 'clickiness'. It was too much. Settled for this version. Bass is clicky but it's what he wanted. If I had time (they needed 3 songs done to sell on their little tour) I would have had less click on bass. I plan on changing that when we get back to doing the other songs.

In my defense, the bass player played really hard, with a pick. Strings were flappin like crazy. There is a certain style and technique when picking bass (dUg).
Old 05-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Ksyrup

What's with the 3rd and 4th songs on that site? It's like the first 2 are one band, the other 2 are a totally different band. I didn't expect that. I think I like them even more after hearing all the songs.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
Hurst2112
College Starter

Track 2 is a band called The Payback. That was Jordis' (rockstar INXS) old band. I did an album with them.

Track 3 is my roommates band. That was the first song I tracked and mixed at the house

Track 4 is a band called Space Car Driver. I am mixing the rest of their stuff Saturday.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
Ksyrup

Well, that explains it! I thought that was all the same band. But now I see that's your studio's site, not the band's site.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Well, that explains it! I thought that was all the same band. But now I see that's your studio's site, not the band's site.

HA! If a metal band did all those songs, they would be laughed out of the Metal Alliance
Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
Ksyrup

I thought they were a new version of Thought Industry.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #12
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Ok, I just heard the last track on your myspace page called Space Car Driver Un...(I can't read the rest of the title). This is my favorite track. Please send that to me by email. I will send the PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #13
Ksyrup

Yeah, I liked that one too.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #14
timmae
College Starter

very cool... keep us posted on the progress. I give you tons of credit. It must be tough to work with such diverse sounds... also being able to make the music sound the way the band thinks it should with just a push and pull per your expertise. Kudos!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #15
Hurst2112
College Starter

I'm mixing 5 more songs from the band who did song 4. I'm mixing them today. I will send both of you the finished stuff, probably tomorrow. Thanks for all the kind words guys
Old 05-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #16
Lorena
Unregistered

Out of curiousity Hurst, which songs did you mix from "Buried by Hope" 's myspace page? I heard the first 2 before Antmeister directed me to your gettysburgstudio page and I really, really enjoyed them. So much in fact that I'm willing to buy their CD if they have one; they have the right amount of bass I like from a heavy metal band and the right tone of voice (or like Antmeister says, the right amount of "screaming")
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #17
Hurst2112
College Starter

I don't think they posted any new mixes on their site yet DC. Some of those songs had drums from a previous version of the band (they were called Banehinge). The guitar player took those tracks along with some guitar tracks and made demo mixes for their singer to sing to. After I got my studio rolling, we decided to give it a go and tracked 6 songs anew. We mixed 3 and will be finishing up the other ones later this month. Also, they plan on tracking 3 more songs to make a 9 song CD, hopefully by the end of July.

They are doing a small midwest tour this week and next. I am going to tweak these mixes a little while they are gone, to get them ready for the album. Take some of the click out of the bass, try some new vocal ideas, etc. just little engineer things.

I will certainly let you know the status of the CD. And of course, you will get an advanced copy via mp3 when they are done. I'm sending Ant some links to files tonight. i will send him the 3 songs Buried By Hope did.

The BBH sing likes NiN and Mudvayne as you can probably tell.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
Lorena
Unregistered

Hurst, you're freaking talented man. I just finished listening the 4 songs on your studio page and to go from heavy metal to a groovy-kind of song takes some serious talent, excellent job!

Add me to the list of people whom you're sending final cuts. I'll send a PM as a reminder.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote