Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Spider-Man 3

Really good in my opinion. Not as polished as 2 was, but still easily the second-best in the series.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Celeval
Pro Starter

Meh. Too much attempted story, not enough development. Not horrid, but not up to the standard I was hoping for. C+
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

The love story/crying was a bit sappy and corny. Some parts were very funny though like when Spidey went Goth and thought he was a ladies man, when at best he appeared to be an asexual metrosexual and at worst he appeared to be extremely gay.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The movie was reasonably entertaining and had some funny bits (Bruce Campbell as the French Maitre d' and the J. Jonah Jameson bit with the blood pressure meds in particular, and Topher Grace was great in his role) and some impressive action. But to me, there was way too much story trying to be crammed in, and it was trying to hit too many emotional levels too quickly leaving some awkward plot contrivances, and some of the action was just too over-the-top showy to really be effective.

And while I love Kirsten Dunst, she still isn't the right actress for the role of Mary Jane Watson.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

I haven't seen this yet, but I saw Bryce Dallas Howard on one of the late night shows and they showed a clip of her falling from a building and the CGI looked more like a really good video game than a realistic movie scene. I hope there isn't too much of that.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Better than 2, but watching a midget wipe his ass is better than whiny emo girl Spidey only saves people when he feels like it 2. Decent story, good acting outside of McGuire/Dunst who continue to suck, and okay action scenes that were a little too CGI heavy at times. The "enhanced" cool comedy jazz scene was the best part of it all. Barely worth the $5 AM price for it. I'll probably never watch it again.

See, I thought the complete opposite, that the jazz scene was the worst part of the film (with the exception of the mini-fight at the end of it). Dunst was horrible in the film (and never should have been Mary Jane to begin with). Bryce Howard, however, was spot-on for Gwen Stacy.

I think they could have split this into two films, the first being the Sandman storyline/black suit, and have Venom be the centerpiece for the other film. Too much stuff crammed into too little time.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I don't have it in me to go see this moneygrab movies anymore.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

They did try and put a little too much in there, which is why I said it's not as polished as 2, but I found it very enjoyable. Bruce Campbell was absolutely hysterical.

Maybe it's because I never read the comics much and when I did, I was a little kid, but I don't get this hate for Kirsten Dunst as MJ. I think she's become a character that most people have grown to care about through this now-trilogy and I'd say Tobey brings to Parker an essentially human, Everyman quality. Which I think is the appeal of Spiderman as a superhero to begin with.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
They did try and put a little too much in there, which is why I said it's not as polished as 2, but I found it very enjoyable. Bruce Campbell was absolutely hysterical.

Maybe it's because I never read the comics much and when I did, I was a little kid, but I don't get this hate for Kirsten Dunst as MJ. I think she's become a character that most people have grown to care about through this now-trilogy and I'd say Tobey brings to Parker an essentially human, Everyman quality. Which I think is the appeal of Spiderman as a superhero to begin with.

Her monologue at the end of first Spiderman was some historically terrible acting. I think there was/is little that she could do to recover from that.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I saw this the other night, was really looking forward to it and I left disappointed. There was way to much "comic relief" for me- seemed like a lot of one liners, that while funny took away from the movie itself. I was hoping for a lot more action, and it just wasn't there. I also thought the ending was horrible, very anti-climatic for me.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I saw this the other night, was really looking forward to it and I left disappointed. There was way to much "comic relief" for me- seemed like a lot of one liners, that while funny took away from the movie itself. I was hoping for a lot more action, and it just wasn't there. I also thought the ending was horrible, very anti-climatic for me.

I agree. It should have been ...

Spoiler

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

The ending drove me a little nuts, but I'm hoping it set things up for there to be a fourth installment.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I haven't gotten to see it yet, but it seems like from reviews that they crammed way too much shit into it.
Like.....

Spoiler

At least it's no "Spiderman and Robin" from what I've read....with that many characters, it can easily happen.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #15
Joe
Pro Starter

too much Mary Jane, and crappy CGI, especially the first fight with Parker and Franco
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #16
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I really think they should have fleshed out the first half more and had the movie end with Brock becoming Venom. That whole scene ending with Venom appearing would have been an ideal way to end the movie leading to the next one featuring Venom. But I have a feeling we will be waiting quite awhile for the next one with a whole new cast and producer at that time.

I thought 2 was much better, mainly because of a much more cohesive storyline. Hard to compare it to the first Spiderman. The new one was fun and worth admission, but the story just wasn't as well thought out.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:44 AM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Enjoyable, but agree about simply too much going on. This and X-Men are the only popcorn flick franchises I can get behind.

The ending also drove me nuts as some others have mentioned.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:19 AM   #18
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm a big Kirsten Dunst fan, and I don't get the slamming of her acting, but she was the wrong choice for this role. Kirsten Dunst's MJ is a good character and all - it's just not the MJ of the comics. Dunst's MJ is a nice girl next door. MJ in the comics was hot, knew she was hot but wasn't a bitch, sassy, brimming with self-confidence (on the outside at least). The character was so unique and iconic that it's a damn shame that character didn't make it into these movies, no matter how much I might like Dunst.

Rose MacGowan would've been a great MJ - she's not only damn close to a perfect match in terms of looks (after you dye her hair red first), but I think she could do the character as Stan Lee conceived her.

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #19
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm a big Kirsten Dunst fan, and I don't get the slamming of her acting, but she was the wrong choice for this role. Kirsten Dunst's MJ is a good character and all - it's just not the MJ of the comics. Dunst's MJ is a nice girl next door. MJ in the comics was hot, knew she was hot but wasn't a bitch, sassy, brimming with self-confidence (on the outside at least). The character was so unique and iconic that it's a damn shame that character didn't make it into these movies, no matter how much I might like Dunst.

Rose MacGowan would've been a great MJ - she's not only damn close to a perfect match in terms of looks (after you dye her hair red first), but I think she could do the character as Stan Lee conceived her.

And plus, all the bad guys would be toast....Rose McGowan's right leg is a machine gun!
Old 05-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #20
cody8200
High School Varsity

I thought the movie was decent and liked the action scenes (although I think there were too few). It just seemed like there was too much of the love story, not enough action. The story drudged on for over 2 hours never really completing a whole storyline. Nevertheless, it was worth the money. Next up, Shrek 3. Then, Pirates 3.

B- overall
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #21
Joe
Pro Starter

what was with Parker walking down the street trying to act like Shooter McGavin with the ladies? That and the scene with him dancing and playing the piano were terrible. It's like the writers had just watched Anchorman before writing the script, and tried to recreate the jazz flute scene or something.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #22
Anthony
Banned

ii refuse to see these comic book movies anymore. i didn't see this one, but let's face it - the good guys always win. the only thing i like about the 3rd XMen movie is that people actually died in that one. when Cyclops died during the first act, i was like "ok, they killed him, but it's early and they'll find a way to bring him back to life". that was cool. still, with SpiderMan i don't need to see the movie to know he'll get his ass kicked and be on the brink and then pull it off in the end. which is why any movie involving Super Man is a complete waste.

with the cost of tickets these days i don't want to know the ending ahead of time. i took the wife to go see The Invisible, and while a part of me wanted to see Spider Man i said to myself "at least i won't know the ending of this movie". and i'm getting tired of CGI. it doesn't work. should only be used for making huge armies in sword and sandal movies or space scenes like in Star Wars. that's all. it's not realistic.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #23
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
with the cost of tickets these days i don't want to know the ending ahead of time. i took the wife to go see The Invisible, and while a part of me wanted to see Spider Man i said to myself "at least i won't know the ending of this movie". and i'm getting tired of CGI. it doesn't work. should only be used for making huge armies in sword and sandal movies or space scenes like in Star Wars. that's all. it's not realistic

agreed. way to much CGI im most movies. i really hate CGI movies where most of the movie has it in it.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #24
timmynausea
College Starter

I thought this was by far the worst of the Spider-Man movies for many of the reasons already mentioned. Where the first 2 had intricate plots that boiled down to clear themes, this story was just a mess. Of course, that's probably because Sam Raimi and his brother had big hands in writing the script this time whereas the first 2 movies had big name screenwriters and even a Pulitzer Prize winning novelist (Michael Chabon) involved.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #25
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I thought it was quite bad honestly. Too many cheesy/cliched moments for my taste. I felt they were trying to make the show "dramatic", especially with what happens near the end, but it was 1) predicatable and 2) badly acted.

I did like the Venom suit though, that was really well done.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #26
SFL Cat
College Starter

I enjoyed it. As others have said, a little too much cornball stuff and contrived sappiness here and there, but still a fun movie to watch.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #27
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've never been a big Spiderman fan, but my wife is, so I've seen them all. This one was okay. Not great, not bad. The part I enjoyed the most was when he was bad Spiderman and in the club. It was good for some laughs. I think Dunst can be hot, but she doesn't do it in these movies. I agree it was too weepy. Venom is the first Spiderman villian that I've liked. The Green Goblin was horrid. The guy with the machine thing in Spiderman 2 was crap. Venom was cool, although his motivation was pretty pathetic.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #28
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Decent flick. I liked the action scenes. I think Venom kicked ass, easily my favorite thing about the movie.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #29
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Nearly 150 Mill. I did NOT see that coming.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #30
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I never read comic books as a kid, so I don't know how accurate this was, but I thought the movie was really entertaining and overall, well done. I did think the Venom thing was a bit too "forced", and think that having the Sandman guy as the only villain for this one, and ending the movie with Topher Grace transforming into Venom would have been a better ending.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #31
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Nearly 150 Mill. I did NOT see that coming.

Is that the biggest opening of all-time?

It will be interesting to see how they manage to extend the series, at this point. It doesn't sound like any of the primary characters (Maguire, Dunst, Franco--from some snippets I have seen, from their press appearances, all feel like the third one was pushing it) are interested in any more sequels. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'd guess a Topher Grace/Venom vehicle could be one direction, but I'm not sure that will have the same power as Spiderman, and it could end up a Ghostrider/Catwoman/Elektra-type of failure.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #32
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
it could end up a Ghostrider/Catwoman/Elektra-type of failure.

Not that I actually care, but Ghostrider made just under a quarter of a billion worldwide.

Also, Spider-Man 3 did set a record for opening weekend, though the official numbers aren't in yet. The previous best was Pirates of the Caribbean 2 last year at just over $135 million.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #33
Anthony
Banned

i would sooner pay to see Venom in a movie than i would Spiderman 3.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #34
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

Kirsten Dunst is freakin anorexic in the movie. It drug on at parts. Overall, an average movie IMHO.
Richard Weed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Is that the biggest opening of all-time?

It will be interesting to see how they manage to extend the series, at this point. It doesn't sound like any of the primary characters (Maguire, Dunst, Franco--from some snippets I have seen, from their press appearances, all feel like the third one was pushing it) are interested in any more sequels.

They all seem to be of the mindset of "if everyone comes back, i'll come back." I think that's going to be the issue. We're probably either looking at everyone returning or a complete cast revamp. Sony is apparently committed to 3 more sequels, so it's coming one way or another.

What is a real shame is i belive that if they had been under contract for a 4th film, we would have gotten a better 3rd movie.

Spoiler
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:13 AM   #36
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
I thought the movie was decent and liked the action scenes (although I think there were too few). It just seemed like there was too much of the love story, not enough action. The story drudged on for over 2 hours never really completing a whole storyline. Nevertheless, it was worth the money. Next up, Shrek 3. Then, Pirates 3.

B- overall

It's always funny to see when someone has the complete opposite of your taste in something. Cody, you're like my Film Watching Antithesis!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #37
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the onyl reason i didnt walk out of this movie was because i wanted to see how you kill sandman.

turns out the filmmakers didnt know, either.

i hated this film.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #38
spleen1015
Coordinator

I liked the characters. What they tried to do with the movie should be done in 2 movies. It has the "This will be the last one I do, so I am going cram all of the stuff I want into this movie." feel.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #39
MikeVic
Head Coach

I agree that the movie should have been split into two. Quality was kind of at my expectations, but I didn't have very high expectations to begin with.

Really annoyed that they didn't play up the fact that the symbiote AND Eddie hated Parker/Spider-Man. Not one use of the word "we." But the movie had funny parts, and enjoyable parts.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #40
Icy
Pro Starter

Bleh, liked Venom a lot, hated the Jazz club dancing crap, totally unrelated and unnecessary imho.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #41
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the problem with splitting the movie in 2 is money and actors.

everyone had a 3 picture contract. not 4. it was never an option on whats already probably the most expensive movie ever made.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote