Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2003, 03:56 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - The 2003 Belmont Stakes

For our fifth time in eight years, we've got a shot at a Tripe Crown winner. FUNNY CIDE would be the first winner in a quarter century - but he's used to breaking traditions, as we know.

The field is apparently all set, and it's time to start talking about the big race this weekend.

Who do you like?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here's a short article to get you into the mood.

- - -

Link to DRF is here.

Funny Cide has fast drill
By JAY PRIVMAN

ELMONT, N.Y. - Funny Cide, who will seek a sweep of the Triple Crown in Saturday's Belmont Stakes, flew through his final work early Tuesday morning, zipping through five furlongs in 57.82 seconds according to Belmont Park's clockers. Daily Racing Form timed the work in 57.06 seconds.

Funny Cide came on the track at 5:25 a.m., just as the sun was rising in the northeast horizon. He cantered quickly the wrong way back to the 6 1/2-furlong pole, then turned around and moved toward the half-mile pole, from where his work began.

According to Daily Racing Form, Funny Cide went off swiftly. His fractions were 11.18 seconds for the opening furlong, 21.90 for a quarter mile, 33.21 for three furlongs, 45.03 for a half-mile, with a six-furlong gallop-out time of 1:11.59.

Robin Smullen was aboard Funny Cide. Barclay Tagg, Funny Cide's trainer, watched the work astride his pony at the finish line. As Funny Cide came through the stretch, Tagg raised his hand in an apparent attempt to alert Smullen to slow down.

Tagg was unavailable for comment immediately after the work. He has a daily press briefing session at 10:30.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here's a link to free past performance data from the Daily Racing Form:

Belmont Contenders

The official program numbers, post positions and morning line odds won't come until later in the week. But this can get you started.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:04 PM   #4
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I knew something was up when you missed the Derby.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:08 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
I knew something was up when you missed the Derby.

Yes, so did I. *sigh*
Old 06-04-2003, 11:09 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Wow, sorry to interrupt with this.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:34 AM   #7
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
I'll learn to like Horse Racing a bit more when they race at Talladega Superspeedway. Now that'd be cool, seeing them run at the banking and stuff.
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:40 AM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

I'll be heading to Hollywood Park on Saturday for some live racing and simulcast action.

I've got a funny feeling about Funny Cide.

I guess it is similar to the old heart vs. mind debate. I think my mind says to go with Empire Maker, but there is just something about Funny Cide that makes me not want to doubt him.

I haven't looked closely for exotics yet, but I will at least buy a $2 win ticket for Funny Cide that I won't cash if he does win.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:08 PM   #9
digamma
Torchbearer

Dola...
Now that the field is down to six, would that taint a triple crown victory by Funny Cide at all?
I'm not a racing historian, but I seem to remember recent Belmont's with a Crown on the line having somewhat larger fields.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:15 PM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

Only a 6 horse field??

Damn..this bodes well for Funny Cide...i think Minister dropping out severly inhanced Funny cides attempt.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:16 PM   #11
clintl
College Starter

The really important question is this - if Funny Cide wins, and he can no longer have natural children of his own, how long before we see the first Funny Cide clone?
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:18 PM   #12
clintl
College Starter

Dola...

Doesn't the Belmont often have pretty small fields? I seem to remember that it was only five or six the year Secretariat won.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:36 PM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by clintl
The really important question is this - if Funny Cide wins, and he can no longer have natural children of his own, how long before we see the first Funny Cide clone?

Not much of a question - all registered thoroughbreds must be certified, and that means their breeding is done the old-fashioned way. No artificial insemination, and certainly no nonsense like that.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:49 PM   #14
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

The same problem they had with John Henry.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 01:04 PM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

Belmont Stakes 135 Field
Purse: $1,000,000; 1 1/2 miles

Code:
Post Horse Jockey Trainer Odds 1 Empire Maker J. Bailey R. Frankel 6-5 2 Supervisor J. Velazquez L. Rice 50-1 3 Scrimshaw G. Stevens D.W. Lukas 20-1 4 Funny Cide J. Santos B. Tagg Even 5 Dynever E. Prado C. Clement 5-1 6 Ten Most Wanted P. Day W. Dollase 10-1
Old 06-04-2003, 01:04 PM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

Not exactly the formatting wanted, but you get the idea.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:10 PM   #17
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I hate to see such a small field but there is some talent there.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 01:15 PM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

After all, you DO have the top two betting line selections from this year's Derby.

TEN MOST WANTED got a pretty tough bump at the start of that race, and then threw up a clunker. Can you toss out thet effort and look for him to run back to his top form? He posted a 110 Beyer in the Illinos Derby, and his pedigree suggests he can get the distance.

And then there's EMPIRE MAKER, of course. The would-be king. I'm hoping that he gets me more than 6-5, but the shortening of the field comes largely at his expense, I think (on the odds board).

I really see the top two both gunning to the front, and that this race may play out more or less like a two-horse match race. If that's the case, I'd rather be on the inside, and I'd rather have Bailey up than Santos.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:15 PM   #19
bbor
Pro Starter

Last time there was a field this small was 92.....the winner then was Tabasco Cat.....if anyone is interested

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 01:40 PM   #20
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I know nothing and have no handicapping ability, but I would put ten dollars on Scrimshaw to win. Don't ask me why, but a funny feeling in my gut.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 01:40 PM   #21
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Last time there was a field this small was 92.....the winner then was Tabasco Cat.....if anyone is interested

He was a favorite of mine. I still remember him.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:33 PM   #22
PilotMan
Head Coach

What thoughts does anyone have on Dynever? i just read an article in the USA Today, seems to me he could make things interesting.

Only having 3 races (and 3 wins), and being entirely bred and trained to win the Belmont, makes me go hmmmm.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:52 PM   #23
FishFan
College Prospect

I already have a headline picked out for this Sunday's sports section:

Empire Strikes Back

I'll be watching the race from Indiana Downs, the state's new junk track. Thank god I'm heading to Churchill Downs on the 14th.

Last edited by FishFan : 06-04-2003 at 09:52 PM.
FishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:58 PM   #24
FishFan
College Prospect

I imagine I'll lay off this race from a betting standpoint. I've tossed around the idea of placing a nice EMPIRE MAKER w/ DYNEVER, TEN MOST WANTED exacta, but it depends on what the likely payoff will be. I'll also keep a close eye on the odds and if I can get EMPIRE MAKER at 2-1 or 3-1, I'll throw a win bet on him. It'll be tough for FUNNY CIDE to miss the board, making place and show wagering worthless.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:48 PM   #25
QuikSand
lolzcat

I will be quite surprised if the top three are not EMPIRE MAKER, FUNNY CIDE, and TEN MOST WANTED in some order. I think there's a pretty sizable break between those three and the rest, DYNEVER and SCRIMSHAW included.

But the deep analysis is just getting started this evening...
Old 06-06-2003, 09:58 PM   #26
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have just wrapped up my first round of handicapping (with friends - my least productive) and here are some of the horses I like for the day:

1st: #2B PRIOMISE MOUNTAIN (8-1) to upset #7 ACCEPTABLE VENTURE

2nd: #13 RAYON (5-1), or perhaps #5 COLOR ME GONE (8-1) - pretty wide open

3rd: #11 MUKHTASSER (4-1), possibly the best bet of the day if he hangs in this range

4th: #11 INAMORATO (9-2), using him with #4 ADDICKS (8-1)

5th: Tough race, maybe #10 PROUND MAN (9-2) or #14 TAP THE ADMIRAL (4-1)... I'm stumped

6th: #2 MISTY SIXES (12-1) might score on the front end here, as she has sizable speed edge, but #7 TREKKING intrigues me (why momve to main track?)

7th: #6 SHAKE YOU DOWN (8-5) looks tough, thoruhg there's plenty of speed in here

8th: #1A RISKAVERSE doesn't like the soft turf we'll probably have, so I'll hope for better than 2-1 on #2 VOODOO DANCER

9th: #3 MIDAS EYES looks awfull tough to beat here, even at a short price - single in the pick six

10th: #10 DENON is the one to beat at 5/2, but I'll look for #1 WITH ANTICIPATION to make a run here, hopefully at better than 7/2 after a poor Derby day loss (which was the key to my good exacta that day)

11th: In the "big one" I, too, expect EMPIRE MAKER to be the winner - he simply has the breeding, which hasn't been pointed out enough this week, I think. I'll bet it 1/46/46, and I will be surprised if it's not TEN MOST WANTED who ends up on the board along with the top two choices.

Hope that proves amusing...
Old 06-07-2003, 12:52 AM   #27
FishFan
College Prospect

That sixth race is very interesting and could offer lots of value. If you throw out MISTY SIXES next to last race in the mud, she's won two in a row with comparable Beyer's to the rest of the field. Definitely play her in the exotics, maybe even on top. TREKKING is interesting and Frankel has been winning everything, but CALL AN AUDIBLE, MESSAGE RED and ALCHEMILLA will be there, too. The expected early pace should play into the hands of the closers.

There's an excellent entry in the 7th that could cause trouble. Plus, one is a closer and the other a frontrunner so both angles are covered.

In the 8th, I've thrown out many of the runners leaving LOVE N' KISS S., RISKAVERSE, and VOODOO DANCER.

Can't go wrong with a MIDAS EYES/POSSE box exacta in the 9th. ALYSWEEP has been real inconsistent.

The old horse in the 10th is going up against three horses who beat him on Derby day. Should be some value there and I doubt HONOR IN WAR can repeat his last performance. I like PATROL there, too.

For the Belmont, I can't wait to see a Triple Crown horse, but I gotta go with EMPIRE MAKER here. I'm hoping for 9-5 or better but I doubt I'll get it with such a short field. I'm hoping everyone is overlooking Lukas again this year so I can get a good price with SCRIMSHAW on the bottom of my exacta with TEN MOST WANTED.

I'm making a day of tomorrow's action, playing the Belmont and Hollywood cards with an eye on a couple of races at Churchill.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:53 AM   #28
mrskippy
Banned

Quik ...

I'm looking to play the horses tomorrow.

I think Funny Cide will do it. Not sure how much I should pluck down though. Have about $50 to play with. And I want to save some for a long, possibly Scrimshaw. Any tips???
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 03:44 AM   #29
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Back to the local track for some simulcast action. I'll be bringing more tools and a bigger bankroll and will probably bet on a few other races besides the Belmont Stakes. Wish me luck.

Speaking of Belmont, gotta go with FUNNY CIDE. It's his home track and I can't ignore the speed. My one big worry is that Santos will try to go to the lead with him early, which IMO would be a mistake. Let SCRIMSHAW and EMPIRE MAKER grab the early lead if they want, stay a couple of lengths back and pick up the pieces down the stretch. I like FC at 3-2 or better, which means I probably won't be betting him because he figures to go off at even odds or less.

EMPIRE MAKER is great, Frankel is great, and Bailey is great. He certainly could win this. But I'm demanding 4-1 odds, and that's not gonna happen.

DYNEVER and TEN MOST WANTED could pick up the pieces if the action out front is too hot, too early. Either are playable with double digit odds.

SCRIMSHAW is outclassed in this field, but might be worth a small bet at 30-1 or better. I'm still trying to figure out what SUPERVISOR is doing here. No bet at any odds.

And those are your tips for today, worth about what you paid for them.

Last edited by Honolulu Blue : 06-07-2003 at 03:55 AM.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 04:20 PM   #30
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by FishFan

For the Belmont, I can't wait to see a Triple Crown horse, but I gotta go with EMPIRE MAKER here. I'm hoping for 9-5 or better but I doubt I'll get it with such a short field. I'm hoping everyone is overlooking Lukas again this year so I can get a good price with SCRIMSHAW on the bottom of my exacta with TEN MOST WANTED.

I got rooked into reffing a high school spring scrimmage. So I couldn't make the trip down (rain would have kept me home probably anyway). However, bodog.com gave me 3-1 on Empire Maker - so I plunked down a hundred. Can't really bet anything exotic, but that's a good number for me, and it saved me a drive over to the teletheatre - where I'm sure it's at least 20 minutes in line.

Go Empire Maker.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:46 PM   #31
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
I got rooked into reffing a high school spring scrimmage. So I couldn't make the trip down (rain would have kept me home probably anyway). However, bodog.com gave me 3-1 on Empire Maker - so I plunked down a hundred. Can't really bet anything exotic, but that's a good number for me, and it saved me a drive over to the teletheatre - where I'm sure it's at least 20 minutes in line.

Go Empire Maker.

Great bet.

Todd
Old 06-07-2003, 05:55 PM   #32
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
Great bet.

Todd

Thanks.

I can't wait to tell my mother that she was wrong all those years ago. Sometimes being lazy does pay off.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:57 PM   #33
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand

11th: In the "big one" I, too, expect EMPIRE MAKER to be the winner - he simply has the breeding, which hasn't been pointed out enough this week, I think. I'll bet it 1/46/46, and I will be surprised if it's not TEN MOST WANTED who ends up on the board along with the top two choices.

Hope you had a nice amount on that trifecter (as the locals pronouce it), it was a pretty good payout.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:08 PM   #34
tucker342
Pro Starter

good race. Congrats to everyone that won some money today!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 10:12 PM   #35
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
The way it looks like, we probably wont see a Triple Crown Winner in our lifetime. But we might get a few close ones.
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 01:39 AM   #36
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Belmont Fun: The Empire Strikes Back

As scheduled, I went to the local track to bet on the races. The bad news is that I lost 4 bets. The good news is that I won three! And at nice odds too. The first one was TWINING DREAM in Churchill Downs Race #3. No drama there, just a nice price (5.60-1). The other two I had to sweat out - starting with Arlington Race #2. IRISH EYES had to sweat out a photo AND an inquiry to get the win. On the replays it was clear that the other horse bumped into IE, and the photo came back positive also. The third winner was from Belmont's #9. Yeah, I liked MIDAS EYES too in that race, but POSSE was giving much better odds. I had to survive a photo in that one too, but the right (read: winning) horse won.

As for the Belmont Stakes, I didn't make any bets. FUNNY CIDE, as expected, went off at even money, so no value there. Crowd favorite EMPIRE MAKER was 2-1 and offered no value for me. The longshots were all bet down to unappealing odds.

And they're off! SCRIMSHAW took the very early lead, but FC and Santos must have had a plane to catch, because they took the lead and set the pace for about a mile. "Too early," I muttered to myself, shaking my head. Meanwhile, EM was lurking just behind. With half a mile to go, EM made his move and drove to the lead. FC fought for a little bit, but gave up with 1/4 to go. Meanwhile, TEN MOST WANTED came on the outside and made things interesting for a little bit, but y'all know what happened from there.

As an aside, an online casino gave me 10 cyberbucks awhile back, and I decided to use it on exactas at the Belmont. One of them was EM-TMW, and now I have 22 cyberbucks.

So all in all, I had a fun and profitable day.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 01:53 AM   #37
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quik: Took your advice, and it netted me ~$52. Hit the trifecta (placed two tri's, a boxed exacta, and a Scrimshaw win, all $2 bets).

So, anyways, I appreciate the advice!

~rpi-fan
Old 06-08-2003, 01:57 AM   #38
mrskippy
Banned

I put $40 on Funny Cide to win ... should have said show to cover my ass. Not often that I cheer for a horse as much as I did today. I really thought watching the pre-race festivities that he would pull it off.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:33 AM   #39
GrantDawg

Oh well. Don't ever follow my hunch. It is easy for me to have a hunch since I don't bet.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:38 AM   #40
digamma
Torchbearer

Yup. Kudos to Quiksand.
If we ever meet up, I owe you a cold beverage of your choice.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:44 AM   #41
mrskippy
Banned

Yeah ... I should have listed to Quiksand and not my heart.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:31 AM   #42
QuikSand
lolzcat

I ended up with a pretty good day overall, my second best in nine Belmont trips. I did have EMPIRE MAKEWR pretty heavy - I upped my win bet when he showed at 3-1 with about 15 minutes to post. I also hit the trifecta a few times over... one real bet using the bet above, and another round when I was persuaded to work DYNEVER into the picture as well by a persuasive friend.

I (fortunately) ended up shifting my picks a good deal over the course of the day... and benefitted from it. However, it was a mixed bag... I usually am a very focused bettor, making rather specific wagers and using narrow combinations. Yesterday, I ended up doing some more boxed bets and loose picking... but with so many favorites coming in, I ended hitting three trifectas plus and, three more exactas on the day...and really not getteing that much ahead. Weak bettors (in my view) think of this as a good day (betting lots of combinations and inevitably cashing lots of tickets) but I'm not that thrilled to make $18 in bets and cash a $26 exacta.

Anyway... a pretty good day overall. Was disappointed to be cashing my bets against FUNNY CIDE, but I felt it was among the most predictable races of the day. Glad to see that some others ended up ahead as well.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:14 AM   #43
tucker342
Pro Starter

Funny Cide should have waited a little longer to break, I thought that the fact that he breaked so early, was a big mistake...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 01:50 PM   #44
QuikSand
lolzcat

I don't think FUNNY CIDE did anything wrong in the race - there wasn't much pace to worry about, and in my mind SCRIMSHAW was not a threat at all, so FUNNY CIDE got to dictate the pace - which is not a bad place to be in this race historically. EMPIRE MAKER under Bailey sat right off his hip in the early backstretch, and I don't think these early tactics played a role in compromising either horse - the early fractions were leisurely, exactly whet you want if you're in the front. FUNNY CIDE didn't get beaten by a race mistake - he got beaten by a better horse, possibly two of them.

The only judgment that I think is really worth questioning might be Tagg's decision to let him work out on full throttle earlier in the week. For thos who follow the game, a 57-second workout can really take a lot out of a horse... some will point to that as a factor in why the horse came up short in the Belmont. I won't - I just don't think he's a 1 1/2 mile horse to begin with.

Good race, tactically sound (in my view), and a pretty exciting finish, once we settled the TC matter (as FUNNY CIDE faded on the rail in the early stretch).
Old 06-09-2003, 11:25 PM   #45
FishFan
College Prospect

I'm still reeling from a great weekend...

Race #6: with all the scratches, I went with Alchemilla and nailed a nice win ticket along with a $100+ trifecta.

Race #7: Lost a narrow win with HIGHWAY PROSPECTOR beaten by a neck, but backed it up with several exacta tickets with the favorite on top.

Race 8: Lucked out when I still went with the two horse even after VOODOO DANCER scratched. Cashed win and exacta ticktes. At this point I was up more than $500 and with my prime play, EMPIRE MAKER, still 4-1 and 7/2 in the early betting. I was feeling queasy.

Race 9: POSSE continues my success with a great stretch run, clipping MIDAS' EYES and putting another $200+ in my pocket with a few exacta tickets there. I was also still alive in a team Pick 4 that my buddy and I devised the night before.

Race 10: did nothing here as I stuck with the old man, WITH ANTICIPATION, who ran the worse race of his career. Luckily, my buddy was adamant at play DENON in the Pick 4, leaving us with our key horse, EMPIRE MAKER in the 11th. The rest is history.

Race 11: As soon as the 10th ended, I dropped $250 to win on EMPIRE MAKER. When he was still at 3-1 with less than 10 minutes to post, I dropped $150 more on him. I also had the exacta and trifecta. Ended up making over $1500 on the 11th with the Pick 4, exacta, tri, and win bets covered. Too bad that pick 4 only paid $270.

In all, I walked out of Indiana Downs with more than $2000, one of my best days picking winners. Let's just say I've got a nice bankroll to play with this Saturday in the Stephen Foster Day at Churchill Downs. I hope my streak continues...