Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #51
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 1 Recap

Well, well, well...it seems that my own reports of my team's death were greatly exaggerated. This team has some life to it yet!

This victory comes down to three main things:
* We jumped out to an early lead which took the pressure off us
* We controlled the clock through a solid running game and efficent passing attack
* We finally managed to stop the run, holding Colorado to 84 yards on the ground

On offense...wow, this Chris Means kid is going to be something special. His first touchdown was a bit of a "wing it and pray" pass to the back of the endzone that he was able to catch and drag a foot in the back of the endzone. On his second touchdown he ran a nice corner pattern, outran the corner for the lofted pass and then took off down the sidelines. He also almost pulled in another long pass on an impressive diving attempt to catch the ball. I didn't see this kind of effort from any of my receivers last season.

New quarterback Grant Stucker (JR, 6'2 203 lbs) ran the offense much like Caleb Hanie did last year. Unfortunately that also means that much like Hanie it looks like he take a pounding behind a poor pass blocking line. He was sacked 6 times in the game. RB Kyle Bell was tasked with picking up the tough yards in short situations during most of the game. He was able to bounce a run to the outside in the 3rd quarter, punch the cornerback to the ground and take the ball 30 yards for the touchdown. Freshman backup running back Brandon Lee showed some great vision on punt returns with 88 yards on 4 returns, including a long of 36 yards.

The lack of a running game really hurt Colorado, as it left them in too many 3rd and long situations. They finished the game a dismal 2 of 12 on 3rd down conversions. The Buffs program has really taken some hits of late and losing another game to their bitter rival will just things that much worse. Still, they do currently have some young talent and pulled in one of the better recruiting classes in the nation this offseason (35th). The rebuilding effort will just have to continue.

Code:
CU CSU First Downs 15 12 Total Offense 279 291 Rushes-Yds-TD 28-84-0 29-75-1 Comp-Att-TD 18-30-2 15-24-3 Passing Yards 195 216 3rd Down Conv 2-12 (16%) 4-12 (33%) 4th Down Conv 1-2 (50%) 0-1 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (0%) Red Zone-TD-FG 3-2-1 (100%) 1-1-0 (100%) Turnovers 2 3 Fumbles Lost 0 1 Intercepted 2 2 Punt Return Yds 14 88 Kick Return Yds 122 85 Total Yards 415 464 Punts-Avg 5-45.8 6-41.3 Penalties-Yards 2-10 3-25 Sacks 6 3 T.O.P. 14:02 18:02 Colorado Key Performers QB Cody Hawkins - 18 of 30 for 195 yards, 2 tds 2 ints, 1 fumble RB PJ Gates - 21 carries for 76 yards, 3 receptions for 27 yards. No TDs. WR Chapelle Brown - 8 receptions for 105 yards, 2 tds C Daniel Sanders - 3 pancake blocks DT George Hypolite - 13 tackles (4 for loss), 4 sacks LE Maurice Lucas - 4 tackles (1 for loss), 2 sacks CB Gardner McKay - 2 INTs PK Justin Holloway - 1 of 3 on field goals (missed two from 50+) Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 15 of 24 for 216 yards, 3 tds 2 ints RB Kyle Bell - 22 carries for 78 yards, 4 receptiosn for 24 yrds, 2 Total TDs WR Chris Means - 5 receptions for 135 yards, 2 TDs (2 drops) C Tyler McDermott - 2 pancake blocks RE Tommie Hill - 10 tackles (2 for loss), 1 sack LE Wade Landers - 2 tackles (1 for loss), 1 sack, 1 forced fumble CB DeAngelo Wilkinson - 5 tackles, 3 passes defensed

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-20-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #52
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Helluva' win to start the year. As long as Bell is healthy I think you'll go bowling.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #53
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 2 Recap

Following a very solid win against Colorado I went into this game expecting to win by at least 20 points. The game was played in pretty heavy rain and despite a poor showing from Army I was only up by a score of 21-16 late in the 4th. We came up with a good drive and Kyle Bell was able to punch his 2nd TD across the goalline to give us enough room to pin our ears back on defense to close the game out.

As I expected Army played a sloppy game and had the most penalties I have ever seen in a game of NCAA of Madden. On the day they ended up with 10 penalties for 75 yards. A lot of it was holding calls but there were also false starts and encroachment penalities. They also had a miserable day in the redzone, only walking away with points of 3 of their 6 visits.

What kept Army in this one was a dedication to running the football on the ground and chewing up the clock. God help them when they tried to put the ball in the air. I have never seen so many passes that just went way off the mark. We ended the day with 4 interceptions and all but one came from just very poorly thrown passes.

Stucker had another efficent day on offense and hooked up with the tall kid means for another touchdown. Bell kept the chains grooving on the ground with a 100 yard performance but Army played surprisingly good rushing defense.

After our first two games it is still hard to determine how we will fare in conference play. The next two games against UTEP and Top 25 ranked Oklahoma State should give us a clearer picture of which team to expect for the rest of the season.

Code:
CSU ARMY First Downs 15 20 Total Offense 330 426 Rushes-Yds-TD 25-81-2 31-135-1 Comp-Att-TD 13-21-2 22-40-1 Passing Yards 249 291 3rd Down Conv 2-8 (25%) 5-15 (33%) 4th Down Conv 0-0 (0%) 1-2 (50%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-1 (0%) Red Zone-TD-FG 2-2-0 (100%) 6-2-1 (50%) Turnovers 2 4 Fumbles Lost 1 0 Intercepted 1 4 Punt Return Yds 0 76 Kick Return Yds 51 115 Total Yards 381 617 Punts-Avg 6-43.8 3-25.0 Penalties-Yards 2-15 10-75 Sacks 5 6 T.O.P. 13:04 19:02 Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 13 of 21 for 249 yards, 2 tds 1 int RB Kyle Bell - 23 carries for 103 yards, 2 tds, 1 fumble TE Chris Kawulok - 5 receptions for 82 yards, 0 TD WR Chris Means - 2 receptions for 60 yards, 1 TD WR Rashaun Greer - 2 receptions for 66 yards, 1 TD FS Klint Kubiak - 13 tackles, 1 INT LB Curtis Cornelson - 9 tackles (4 for loss) SS Jake Galusha - 8 tackles, 2 INTs DE Tommie Hill - 6 tackles (2 for loss), 2 sacks DT Matt Rupp - 6 tackles (2 for loss), 2 sacks Army Key Performers QB Carson Williams - 22 of 44 for 291 yards, 1 TD 4 INTs. 33 rushing yrds. RB Tony Moore - 28 carries for 111 yards, 1 TD. 101 yards after contact. WR Kenny Rackers - 7 receptions for 82 yards, 0 TD TE Mike Evans - 5 receptions for 92 yards, 1 TD FB Collin Mooney - 5 pancake blocks SS Markenson Pierre - 6 tackles, 1 INT, 1 pass defensed LB Tim Jennings - 5 tackles (2 for loss), 1 sack, 1 forced fumble

Oklahoma Gaining Respect
At least with me they are. They have a tough as hell conference schedule that already has them facing 5 ranked opponents but then they go out and schedule non-conference games of Ohio State, Miami and West Virginia. If they make it through the season undefeated there is no way in hell they shouldn't be in the National Championship game.

Recruiting Update
Recruiting is a lot harder this season. Last year we started the year with a good number of talented kids who had us listed #1 or #2 on their list of possible colleges. This year I only had a couple of in-state 3 & 4 star guys that were interested in our program. Everybody else that was interested was a 2 star prospect.

At the danger of possibly pulling in a smaller class I am still targeting the same general talent level that I did last year. No 5 star guys are being targeted - I don't think I have a shot at them yet. Most players being targeted are 3 star prospect but most of these guys are hanging up on me as soon as I try to talk to them. I have managed to make headway with a few of them though.

Good shot to sign
CB Travis Reynolds (**** from Englewood, CO - 6'3" 190 lbs)
Local kid who wants to play close to home. Very tall, very fast. Having this guy and Ruud on the field at corner would be a dream come true.

QB Matt Douglas (*** from Littleton, CO - 6'0" 190 lbs)
On the small side but he has some mobilty and a decent arm. Much in the mold of my last 2 QBs.

C Zac Parker (** from Cimarron Hills, CO - 6'5" 292 lbs)
Guy just seems to be in love with us right now. His letter grades seem to project him higher than his overall ranking, but I am leery about that after recruiting a few dud linemen last year.

Code:
Current Recruiting Overview TARGETS BY POSITION TARGETS BY PRESTIGE Offense Defense 5 STAR 0 QB 1 DE 1 4 STAR 3 HB 0 DT 5 3 STAR 11 FB 0 OLB 0 2 STAR 10 WR 3 MLB 2 1 STAR 0 TE 2 CB 2 T 0 FS 2 G 0 SS 2 C 1 P 1 K 0 ATH 2 TOTAL TARGETS 24

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-20-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #54
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 3 Recap

They win the toss and elect to receive. On their first play from scrimmage their tailback bruises his ribs but will return. They pick up two first downs but we hold a yard shy on 3rd and long. Their kicked doinks the ball off the right upright to give them an early 3-0 lead. 8 plays, 42 yards.

After they stuff two running plays the crowd is rocking and I have to burn a timeout on 3rd down when Means can’t hear the audible. He makes up for it next play by catching a quick slant over the middle. UTEP is bringing heavy pressure but we are handling it well so far. We get the ball up to the 24 yard line on some hard nose running by Bell. On 3rd and 5 Stucker connects on a quick out to WR Chaz Miles who breaks a tackle is just able to squeeze into the endzone. 7-3 Rams. 10 plays, 62 yards.

Their starting back is already back in the game. After picking up a 1st down UTEP tries a WR screen and my cornerback DeAngelo Wilkinson jumps the pass for the INT. We take over at their 40 yard line.

We seem to have them a bit off balance on defense. A long run by Bell and an offside penalty gets us up to the 23 yard line. Ouch…their All-American inside linebacker Adam Vincent just busted through the line and clocked Bell. It’s an abdominal strain, he should be back soon. We get the ball up to the 8 but Vincent comes up big again and stuffs us one 3rd and 1. We put the 25 yarder through the uprights to go up 10-3. 8 plays, 29 yards.

They move the ball up to our 38 yard line after a couple of really good runs by their tailback. Both of my defensive tackles absolutely sandwich the QB and he fumbles the ball. McWilliams falls on it for the recovery! Not how UTEP wanted to start this one.

On our second play we give it right back – Means is double covered on the short hook and the safety picks it off.

A couple of good runs up the middle and they get it into the endzone. 10-10 all. 5 plays, 23 yards.

Good return by Lee to midfield. Our freshman FB Neal delivered two crushing blocks on that one. A sharp intermediate passing attack gets up to up to the 21 yard line. Chris Means gets open in the back corner of the endzone and Stucker delivers a pretty ball to him for the touchdown. 7 plays, 50 yards. Stucker was a perfect 4-4 on that drive for 41 yards. 17-10 Rams.

UTEP hits two long passes over the middle to their TE to get up to our 25. Their wideout runs a crisp curl route but the QB’s pass is way off target and Wilkinson picks it off. That’s his 2nd of the game.

Up by 7 and close to our endzone with under a minute to go I am content to keep things simple and take things into the half with the momentum.

We start the second half with the ball. Our line is getting a great push on 3rd and short situations to keep the chains moving. After a couple of good runs Bell is down again – pinched nerve. He only misses a play. A sack and a blown up running play puts us out of FG range and we punt. The punt dies at the 2 yard line!

Two gutsy play action calls gets the ball out the 16. They keep us completely off balance for the rest of the drive by running a spread offense. 98 yards later their tailback takes a pitch for the TD! Tied up 17-17. 13 plays, 91 yards. Very impressive drive. Their QB Brandis Dew was a perfect 6 for 6 for 71 yards. That sure gives them the momentum.

We return the kick up to the 40 yard line to get good field position. On 3rd and 7 they send the house and Stucker finds the hot read out of the slot for a short pass to Chaz Miles that goes 29 yards. A good screen play puts us inside the 5 yard line and Kyle Bell bulldozes his way over two defenders to put us back up 24-17. 8 plays, 60 yards.

UTEP goes back into the spread offense. Another long pass over the middle gets them up near midfield – that play has been there all day. A good hit by Galusha on 3rd and long causes a drop and forces them to punt. Booming punt but it will be a touchback.

Even though he has made some key runs they have done a good job bottling Bell up. We push the ball up to the 30 but the drive stalls. A 47 yard field goal sails wide left, were still only up 24-17. UTEP takes over with 3 minutes left on the clock.

UTEP converts another 3rd and short with a playaction pass to the TE. Down to 2 minutes left but they have pushed the ball up to our 36 yard line with a good passing attack. Their WR Day finds the hole in the zone, breaks a tackle and takes the ball over the goalline to tie this thing up. 24-24. 5 plays, 67 yards. 1:52 left.

Two stuffed runs leave us in a familiar 3rd and 5 situation. We spread the field with 5 wideouts. It looks like the linebacker is blitzing so I anticipate a short zone coverage from the DBs. I hot route Chris Means to a wheel route up the sideline and snap the ball. They are in a Cover 2 defense and I throw the ball to the sideline as soon as Means clears the short coverage. The safety misplays the ball and Means races to the endzone! 31-24 Rams! 3 plays, 68 yards. 54 seconds left in the game.

Incredible leaping catch over the middle by their #1 wideout Rouse gives them the ball at midfield with 39 seconds left. Next play Dew overshoots his slot receiver and Galusha is there to intercept the pass! UTEP has all of their timeouts so we can’t down the ball and end the game. Bell busts one off off tackle for a 1st down. That’ll do it! Rams win 31-24!

The game is an instant classic with a gamescore of 1096!

Code:
CSU UTEP First Downs 17 18 Total Offense 356 338 Rushes-Yds-TD 36-117-1 22-89-2 Comp-Att-TD 18-23-3 18-27-1 Passing Yards 239 249 3rd Down Conv 9-13 (69%) 5-8 (62%) 4th Down Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (50%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (0%) Red Zone-TD-FG 2-1-1 (100%) 4-2-1 (75%) Turnovers 1 4 Fumbles Lost 0 1 Intercepted 1 3 Punt Return Yds 0 0 Kick Return Yds 126 127 Total Yards 482 465 Punts-Avg 1-37.0 1-54.0 Penalties-Yards 2-10 4-25 Sacks 2 1 T.O.P. 20:08 11:58 Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 18 of 23 for 239 yards, 3 tds 1 int RB Kyle Bell - 26 carries for 86 yards, 1 td WR Chris Means - 6 receptions for 121 yards, 2 TDs WR Chaz Miles - 2 receptions for 52 yards, 1 TD FS Klint Kubiak - 9 tackles (has been excellent in run support) CB DeAngelo Wilkinson - 7 tackles, 2 INTs SS Jake Galusha - 6 tackles, 1 INT DT Devin McWilliams - 1 forced and recovered fumble UTEP Key Performers QB Brandis Dew - 18 of 27 for 249 yards, 1 TD 3 INTs, 1 fumble RB Jason Williams - 17 carries for 95 yards, 2 TDs TE Jamar Hunt - 4 receptions for 70 yards WR Chris Day - 3 receptions for 63 yards, 1 TD LB Adam Vincent - 13 tackles (4 for loss) SS Braxton Amy - 9 tackles (2 for loss) LE Ja-Boy Leomiti - 6 tackles (1 for loss), 1 sack

Even though UTEP didn't have the same level of talent that had them in the Top 25 last year this was still a big win for our program. We very unexpectedly sit at 3-0 right now heading into a matchup with #19 ranked Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State has a very dangerous looking offense led by senior QB Bobby Reid (6'3" 237 lbs). Despite his size Reid is one of the most mobile quarters in the NCAA and has a strong, accurate arm to boot. The last time we faced a quarterback this good our defense was picked apart. This is going to be one of the better defenses that we have faced as well. They are very quick and big at all levels. My prediction about our chances this year have been completely wrong so far but even at home we will be playing not to be embarrased.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #55
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've been silently following along. I love your formatting and it's been a fun read. Keep up the good work and the winning
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #56
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 4 Recap

It’s a beautiful day in Fort Collins, sunny and 71 degrees.

Oklahoma State wins the toss and elects to receive. They move the ball up to their 40 yard line but Reid puts too much touch on an underneath pass and DeAngelo Wilkinson jumps it. He takes it all the way for our first defensive touchdown of the year! Quick 7-0 lead CSU! Reid is so fast he almost ran down Wilkinson.

They have a good return to their 40. They make short work of our defense and cap off the drive with a 2 yard run by their starting tailback Toston. 7-7 all. 9 plays, 60 yards.

We have a good return of our own and drive the ball up to their 40. Stucker can’t find anyone and gets walloped before he can slide. The ball pops free and is picked up by Oklahoma State. Luckily one of their big boys scooped it up and only got the our 40 before we could make the tackle.

Reid is getting all day to throw in the pocket. He makes two big passes to his #2 wideout, the last good for 7 yards and a TD. 14-7 Oklahoma State. 4 plays, 38 yards.

They sniff out the screen on 3rd and 7 and force the punt. Yards are going to be at a premium.

After a 10 yd holding penalty sets them back Reid tries to run the option keeper. My inside linebacker Curtis Cornelson guesses that Reid will keep it and attacks the gap hard. Reid keeps it and Cornelson is there lay into him hard. FUMBLE!!! My LE Wade Landers picks it up and no one is going to get him! 23 yards on the fumble recovery! 14-14 all. Defense stepping up big time.

Oklahoma State goes three and out after two short runs and an overthrown pass.

We go 3 and out. Absolutely nothing happening on offense right now.

Good punt return up to midfield. They get back on their horse and we aren’t able to stop their attack. Reid adds another touchdown on a 17 pass to Newton. 21-14 Oklahoma State. 8 yards, 46 yards. Our offense needs to get it’s ass in gear because the defense is already showing some signs of fatigue.

Their defense really is swarming. If the first white shirt doesn’t get you there are another 2 right behind him to finish the ball carrier off. Good second effort by Bell to pick up only our second first down with about 3 minutes left in the first half. Nobody open, Stucker has to scramble again and picks up good yards and a first down. We get the ball up to the 32 and the drive stalls. Chamorro is able to squeeze a 49 yarder just over the crossbar. 21-17 Cowboys. 9 plays, 38 yards.

Nothing happening for them, they go 3 and out after two dropped passes. They punt, 48 seconds left in the half.

We get the ball first in the second half and I don’t want to press our 2 minute offense with how we have played so far. I run the clock out on a few runs and we go to the half. Stucker only has 19 passing yards at the half.

On 3rd and long they blitz the corner but Stucker is able to hook up with Means for a 15 yard gain over the middle. He took a licking but held onto the ball. A sack puts us in 3rd and very long and we have to punt. The punt goes into the endzone for a touchback.

The Cowboys go 3 and out as we play good run defense. We have good starting field position at our 40.

We put together a good drive and get the ball up to their 34 yard line. They stack the box to stop the run and Stucker floats a ball to Means who catches it and drags a foot on the sideline at the 4 yard line. Bell breaks a tackle in the backfield and punches it through the hole. 24-21 Rams! 6 plays, 59 yards.

A holding call forces Oklahoma State into a 3rd and 12 at their 24 yard line. Cornelson picks it off in zone coverage! That’s the second turnover he caused today!

We overcome a holding penalty and convert on 3rd and 9 with a quick slant pass to 4th receiver Rashaun Greer. I roll the dice and call a QB bootleg with the not entirely nimble Grant Stucker. They weren’t expecting that one at all and it’s a footrace to the corner of the endzone. TOUCHDOWN! STUCKER with the improbable 18 yard scamper! 31-21 Rams. Holey toledo, can this charmed season continue? Oklahoma State takes over with a quarter of play left down by 10.

Just when it looks like Oklahoma state is still out of rhythm Reid hooks up with his top wideout Jeremy Broadway for a 34 yard competion to put them inside the redzone. Touchdown saving tackle from behind by my defensive end Hill as Toston almost gained the corner. That forces 3rd and 4 from the 10 yard line. Quick snap and throw to the corner…touchdown Broadway, he beat the true freshman Ruud on the coverage. 31-28 Rams. 7 plays, 63 yards.

Their defense comes up big and holds us to a 3 and out.

Broadway with a big return up to midfield. Broadway with another big catch over the middle to move them up to the 29 yard line. 3rd and 6…BIG drop by their #2 wideout to force a 42 yard field goal. HOOK BABY HOOK…damn, off the right upright and IN. 31-31 all. 6 plays, 19 yards.

Our drive stalls and we are faces with a 3rd and long. Means is coming open over the middle but I don’t see the safety sitting there and throw a pick, returned to the 29 yard line. 3 minutes left. I have to ask the defense to come up big one more time.

Oklahoma State keeps it conservative, it looks like they are going to settle for the field goal and let their defense hold the win. 34 yarder good. 34-31 Cowboys. 7 plays, 12 yards. 1:47 left.

We are able to complete a few passes to get the ball just past midfield but the drive stalls. 4th and 3 from the 45. I have to give it to the big guy. Good blocking and he’s through! They dial up the blitz on the next play and Stucker pulls it down and takes off. He gets up to the 28 yard line. Timeout, 21 seconds left and we are in field goal range. We have been deadly from this range this year because of Means. Stucker hits the tight end over the middle. Tick tick tick. We run up to the line to spike the ball…it’s a fake spike! The safety didn’t expect it and Means is wide open in the endzone! Touchdown! Touchdown! I don’t believe it! 38-34 Rams with 9 seconds left! 9 plays, 60 yards.

The return man is tackled at the 30 with 5 seconds left. Reid is going to have to heave it and hope for a miracle. It’s short and knocked down. Rams win! You’ve got to be kidding me!

Another classic game, this time gamescore 995.

Code:
OKST CSU First Downs 12 15 Total Offense 290 257 Rushes-Yds-TD 26-59-1 29-90-2 Comp-Att-TD 18-31-3 17-25-1 Passing Yards 231 167 3rd Down Conv 5-11 (45%) 4-11 (36%) 4th Down Conv 0-0 (0%) 1-1 (100%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (0%) Red Zone-TD-FG 5-4-1 (100%) 3-3-0 (100%) Turnovers 3 2 Fumbles Lost 1 1 Intercepted 2 1 Punt Return Yds 58 27 Kick Return Yds 185 178 Total Yards 533 462 Punts-Avg 3-43.3 4-40.8 Penalties-Yards 5-45 3-20 Sacks 2 0 T.O.P. 14:28 17:36 Oklahoma State Key Performers QB Bobby Reid - 18 of 31 for 231 yards, 3 tds 2 int, 6 car-3 yards, 1 fumble RB Keith Toston - 17 carries for 49 yards, 1 td WR Hubert Anyiam - 7 receptions for 90 yards, 1 TDs WR Jeremy Broadway - 5 receptions for 72 yards, 1 TD SS Andre Sexton - 11 tackles (1 for loss), 1 pass defensed LB Patrick Lavine - 10 tackles (2 for loss) RE Ugo Chinasa - 5 tackles(3 for loss), 1 forced fumble Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 17 of 25, 167 yds, 1 TD 1 INT, 5 car-47 yards, 1 TD, 1 fumble RB Kyle Bell - 19 carries for 56 yards, 1 TD, 1 fumble TE Chris Kawulok - 5 receptions for 57 yards WR Chris Means - 3 receptions for 52 yards, 1 TD LE Wade Landers - 1 tackle, 1 fumble recovery for TD LB Curtis Cornelson - 8 tackles (3 for loss), 1 INT, 1 forced fumble CB DeAngelo Wilkinson - 3 tackles, 1 INT for touchdown

Almost no words...we could completely screw up during our conference schedule and I would still be happy with this season.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #57
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 5 Recap

47 degrees and clear as we approach dusk here in at Falcon Stadium on the grounds of the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. On the line today is the Ram-Falcon Trophy and hopefully a win to start off conference play.

We win the toss and elect to receive. Bell and Co. promptly march the ball down the field with a power running attack. A false start penalty followed by a holding penalty puts us in a 2nd and goal situation from the 20. We hit a crossing route over the middle but Air Force makes a good tackle at the 2 yard line. 19 yard field goal is good. 3-0 Rams. 10 plays, 56 yards.

A holding call pushes Air Force into 3rd and long. Tommie Hill comes free on the pass rush and blindsides little QB Shea Smith (5’10 191 lbs) for the sack. He’s lucky he didn’t fumble the ball on that hit.

Stucker and Means aren’t on the same page on the option route and the pass ends up in the safeties hands. Air Force takes over on their own 35.

We have trouble stopping their running attack and they cap off the drive with an untouched 6 yard run by the fullback up the middle. 7-3 Air Force. 6 plays, 64 yards.

We pick up a first down on a nice run but the drive doesn’t go anywhere else. We are running the ball well but in general look very flat on offense and defense. We punt and are able to pin the ball at the 1 yard line! That could be the boost we need!

Air Force isn’t able to move the ball from the 1 as ROLB Jake Pottorff almost forces a safety. We send the house to try and block the punt – we don’t get to it but the punter shanks the ball and it out at the 35 yard line.

Nothing happening on offense as we actually lose 4 yards. Stucker has a man open over the middle on 3rd and long but throws the pass behind him – it’s picked off by the strong safety. Air Force takes over at their 23 yard line. Poor start by Stucker.

Nothing doing for Air Force as they drop a 3rd down pass that would have been good for the 1st. Generally a sloppy game so far.

The big guy wants the ball and we feed it to him. He puts the offense on his back and gets us up to the 20 yard line where Stucker catches the defenses cheating up to the stop the run – over the top to the tight end Kawulok for the TD. 10-7 Rams. 6 plays, 65 yards. Bell was a monster on that drive, pounding the ball between the tackles 5 times in a row for 48 yards.

The defense is waking up now and showing some fire. The Falcons QB evades a heavy 3rd down rush but can’t hook up with his receiver. Another 3 and out series. 1:48 left in the half.

A sack and a botched screen lead to a quick 3 and out on our drive.

Air Force with a good punt return up to our 40 yard line. They are able to hit two long passes before calling a timeout with 5 seconds left in the half to tack on the 3 points. A 23 yarder ties the game up, 10-10. 7 plays, 41 yards.

We kick it off to start the second half. Facing 3rd down Air Force tries to squeeze a pass over the middle – it’s picked off by Cornelson in zone coverage! He rumblin’, stumblin’….he takes it back 44 yards for the TD! 17-10 Rams.

Air Force answers right back on their next play – huge defensive breakdown in the secondary leaves the slot receiver wide open for an 82 yard touchdown. 17-17 all.

Bell running the ball with authority again – he breaks a tackle and sprints up the sideline but gets stripped by the cornerback – Falcons recover the ball at midfield.

Good QB keeper gets the Falcons up to our 30 yard line but free safety Klint Kubiak clobbers him at the end of the run. Smith will have to come out for a few plays after that one. Solid run defense and yet another dropped pass by Air Force keeps the drive from going any further. Their kicker nails a 47 yarder to give them the lead. 20-17 Falcons. 5 plays, 15 yards.

Despite fumbling on our last possession Bell is still calling for the ball and he gets the chains moving again. We try play action at their 15 yard line but they cover it well. No one is open but Stucker tries to force it to Means – picked off. Means just didn’t fight hard enough for that ball – freshman mistake. The Falcons take over at their 4 yard line. Ugly, ugly day for our passing game.

They drive the ball out to the 32 yard line but it stalls thanks to two nice plays by inside linebacker Curtis Cornelson – man, he has stepped it up the past two games.

Nothing happening on the ground or in the air on our drive and we are forced to punt.

Another good return gives Air Force starting field position at our 40 yard line. Another big stop by the defense holds them to a very long field goal attempt. 53 yarder is up and…CLANK, off the upright and WIDE right. Even if it was more on target I’m not sure it was long enough - it probably would have bounced off the crossbar.

Just like that the running game is popping again. No fooling around this time – it’s either Bell crossing the goalline or a field goal – I’m not putting the ball in the air. TOUCHDOWN BELL from 6 yards out! 24-20 Rams. 10 plays, 60 yards. Bell with 7 carries for 39 yards on the drive. 5:30 left in the game.

Air Force has a good drive going and drives the ball to our 34 yard line. No more says the defense – Cornelson drags the tailback down on 1st down for a 2 yard loss and then Rupp and Landers pick up back to back sacks to force 4th and 21. 3 minutes left and the Falcons are going to punt. Lousy punt, goes out at the 26.

Plan “B” is in full effect as Bell goes back to work on the ground. Good gain on 1st down sets us up with a 2nd and 2 but they sniff out the run and hit us for a 5 yard loss. 3rd and 7 and the crowd is on their feet – this stadium is rocking! The true freshman Lee checks into the backfield in the passing situation and catches a short swing pass. He gets down low and makes contact with the linebacker….first down! Just over the marker. 1:55 left and counting. Two runs and two timeouts bring us to the moment of truth. 1:28 left, 3rd and 5 and everyone knows Bell is going to get the ball. The handoff…he’s stopped at the line…NO second effort gets him free and he’s got the first down! That’ll do it folks! Colorado State runs out the clock and takes home the Ram-Falcon Trophy!

Code:
CSU AF First Downs 20 11 Total Offense 315 294 Rushes-Yds-TD 42-233-1 25-72-1 Comp-Att-TD 8-16-1 11-23-1 Passing Yards 82 222 3rd Down Conv 5-10 (50%) 1-10 (10%) 4th Down Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (100%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (0%) Red Zone-TD-FG 3-1-1 (67%) 2-1-1 (100%) Turnovers 4 1 Fumbles Lost 1 0 Intercepted 3 1 Punt Return Yds 34 56 Kick Return Yds 113 110 Total Yards 462 460 Punts-Avg 3-45.3 6-35.3 Penalties-Yards 3-20 3-30 Sacks 3 2 T.O.P. 19:14 12:50 Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 8 of 16 for 82 yards, 1 TD 3 INTs. HB Kyle Bell - 36 carries for 196 yards, 1 TD 1 fumble C Tyler McDermott - 3 pancake blocks LB Curtis Cornelson - 9 tackles (3 for loss), 1 INT for TD LB Jake Pottorff - 6 tackles (2 for loss) DE Tommie Hill - 5 tackles (3 for loss), 1 sack Air Force Key Performers QB Shea Smith - 11 of 21 for 222 yards, 1 TD 1 INT, 15 yds rushing HB Kip McCarthy - 16 carries for 37 yards WR Michael Krogh - 1 reception for 82 yards, 1 TD LB Ben Ryan - 12 tackles (2 for loss) LB Trent Burney - 8 tackles (3 for loss), 1 sack SS Brian Evans - 5 tackles (2 for loss), 1 INT

Oklahoma State losing to Iowa State this week takes a little luster off of my win last week. But oh baby. Ranked.

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-20-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #58
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 6 Recap

Utah’s excellent senior quarterback Brian Johnson is injured with an abdominal tear and will not play in today’s game. Instead the Utes have to turn to second year freshman Griffin Robles. Robles does not have the mobility or the arm strength that Johnson does. He is still pretty green and we should be able to take advantage of his inexperience.

49 degrees and clear with a little chill in the air here this afternoon in Salt Lake City.

Utah wins the toss and elects to receive. They play it conservative on the opening drive and we hold them to a 3 and out. We get the ball and do the same – punting it away after our drive goes nowhere.

A couple of nice runs and passes pushes the ball up to our 45 yard line but they can’t convert on 3rd and 4. We once again fail to pick up a first down again on our next drive. Whole lotta nothing so far.

Having a lot of trouble stopping them on 3rd down this drive. They are getting some excellent blocking and have moved the ball into the redzone. The run a sweep to the left and my cornerback DeAngelo Wilkinson gets in on the tackle. He injures his hip on the tackle – looks like he will be out 2 weeks at the most. That leaves me with two true freshmen playing at corner. Not good. We stop them short on 3rd and 1 from the 4 yard line. They go for it on 4th down and find their big tight end Chris Joppru (brother of former Texans tight end Bennie Joppru) for the score. 7-0 Utah. Massive 16 play drive that started from their 21 yard line.

Some strong runs by Bell and a nice crossing pattern by Means set us up at their 29 yard line. We try play action but the safety isn’t fooled and is sitting in the passing lane for the INT. After a short return the Utes take over at their 35.

On their first play from scrimmage their QB hits a wideout on a deep hook, who then proceeds to break a tackle and take the ball 66 yards for the score. 14-0 Utes. He just made the true freshman who is filling in for injured DeAngelo Wilkinson look silly.

A borderline pass interference call keeps our drive alive. We move the chains two more times but the drive stalls at the 38, out of field goal range. Our punter shanks the punt and it doesn’t even go 15 yards.

A deadly combination is starting to emerge – we are having a lot of trouble stopping the run and our freshman corners are getting beaten repeatedly. Still, we manage to stop Utah inside our 5 yard line and hold them to a FG. 17-0 Utes. Our next drive is sputters and with no timeouts we let the clock wind down to halftime.

We get the ball first to open the 3rd quarter. The drive gets up to their 45 but Means drops a 3rd down pass that would have kept the party going.

A long, balanced drive moves the ball up to our 37 yard line but we force a 4th down with good pressure on the QB. They try a long 54 yarder but it bounces off the crossbar and back into the endzone. We really need to get something going on this next drive.

When in doubt feed it to Bell. Three solid runs in a row by Bell set the ball up on the Utes 43 yard line. Stucker drops back to pass and has EXCELLENT protection with Means matched one-on-one with the corner deep down the field. Stucker throws a looping pass into the endzone that drops right into Means’ hands. The corner tried to play the ball instead of his man on that one and got turned around. Exactly what we needed. 17-7 Utah. 4 plays, 61 yards.

We give up another long pass on 3rd and 13. Defense isn’t playing very tight in this game. Almost give up another one but we stop them 2 yards short on their next 3rd down. Their field goal kicker comes out and kicks a 50 yarder with room to spare. 20-7 Utah. 8 yards, 30 plays.

Morton drops a deep corner route. I am very unimpressed with him so far this year and might start giving slot receiver Rashaun Morton more playing time. Stucker picks up a 3rd and 10 on a scramble and that brings us to the close of the 3rd quarter. Then Means drops another one on 3rd down. A good punt dies at the 7 yard line.

Solid series by our defense stops them at their own 34. Great punt return by Lee up to midfield. I’m impressed with Lee so far – I have tried to get him as much time on special teams and some carries in reserve but I am worried that I might be breaking my promise of “solid playing time” first year on campus. To be honest I expect Bell to miss more time to injury but he has been pretty injury free so far.

Just when I rag on him Morton catches a WR screen and takes it 43 yards to set us up inside Utah’s 10 yard line. Bell finishes off the drive by dragging a tackler into the endzone for 6! Good block by his fullback to clear out the safety who was playing close to the line. 20-14 Utah. 3 plays, 47 yards. 5 minutes left.

Dangerous throw on 1st down, Galusha almost got that one. Good hit by my nickel corner causes their wideout to drop a pass. Defense seems to be stepping up here. Another dangerous pass by the second year freshman QB into tight coverage by my 5th cornerback ends the drive. They have to punt and we should get pretty good field position.

Their defense steps up huge and gets major pressure on the QB, sacking us twice. We have to punt with a little less than 4 minutes left.

Damn, long pass over the middle on 3rd down puts them in scoring position. They grind the ball just inside the redzone but we stop them. No timeouts left for us. Their kicker squeezes a 36 yarder inside the right upright. 23-14 Utah. 8 plays, 26 yards. 0:47 seconds left and down by 2 scores it looks like we might be about to take our first loss of the year.

Good return by Lee gives us the ball at the 40 yard line. 2 incomplete passes are followed up by a nice 31 yard hookup to WR Rashaun Greer. After another incomplete pass Stucker is able to hit Means on a 29 yard strike to the endzone, but with only 12 seconds left it might be too late. 2 point conversion does nothing for us here. 23-21 Utes.

We line up for the onside kick aaaaannnd……….we don’t get it. Utah runs out the clock and hands us our first loss of the year. So much for that Top 25 ranking.

Code:
CSU UTAH First Downs 9 17 Total Offense 275 369 Rushes-Yds-TD 22-71-1 35-100-0 Comp-Att-TD 11-22-2 19-29-2 Passing Yards 204 269 3rd Down Conv 4-11 (36%) 5-14 (35%) 4th Down Conv 0-0 (0%) 1-2 (50%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (0%) Red Zone-TD-FG 1-1-0 (100%) 3-1-2 (100%) Turnovers 1 0 Fumbles Lost 0 0 Intercepted 1 0 Punt Return Yds 60 25 Kick Return Yds 150 86 Total Yards 485 480 Punts-Avg 6-36.3 4-35.3 Penalties-Yards 1-5 3-25 Sacks 0 5 T.O.P. 14:33 17:31 Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 11 of 22 for 204 yards, 2 TD 1 INT HB Kyle Bell - 19 carries for 72 yards, 1 TD WR Chris Means - 5 receptions for 105 yards, 2 TDs LB Curtis Cornelson - 14 tackles (5 for loss), 1 pass defensed Utah Key Performers QB Griffin Robles - 19 of 29 for 269 yards, 2 TD 0 INT. 9 carries for 0 yards. HB Darrell Mack - 23 carries for 97 yards WR Marquis Wilson - 6 receptions for 108 yards, 1 TD RG Robert Conley - 3 pancake blocks LE Paul Kruger - 4 tackles (2 for loss), 3 sacks LB Nai Fotu - 7 tackles (2 for loss), 1 sack K Ben Vroman - 3 of 4 FG (long of 50)

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-20-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #59
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 7 Recap

46 degrees and partly cloudy down on Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium. Today I have several of my top recruits visiting and I feel that a win might be enough to push 3 of them into committing to our program.

We win the toss and elect to receive. After a sack forces 3rd and long I throw a deep crossing pattern that gets picked off by the linebacker in underneath coverage. They return the ball all the way to our 19 yard line.

Our defense holds tight, not giving up a single yard and BYU has to settle for a 36 field goal. 3-0 Cougars. 5 plays, 0 yards.

We chew up a lot of yards and time on the ground and Bell crosses the line untouched on a 2 yard run for the score. 7-3 Rams. 14 plays, 62 yards. Stucker does not look good at all so far – he is getting pretty good protection but his passes are just not hitting their mark.

Their passing attach chews through our secondary like it doesn’t even exist and they put up 6 points on a 14 yard pass. 10-7 BYU. 6 plays, 67 yards all through the air. Really missing my injured right cornerback now.

On our second play BYU tries a corner blitz and Stucker hits the slot receiver Chaz Miles on a 59 yard catch and run play for a touchdown. Miles got a good chip block by little Dion Morton to spring him. 14-10 Rams. 2 plays, 68 yards.

We hold them to a 3 and out after a dropped pass and a pass that QB Max Hall didn’t even throw in the same zip code as his receiver.

We run the hell out of the ball, converting on two 3rd and short situations. Stucker drops back to pass and finds Chris Means sitting in between the zone coverage in the endzone for a 12 yard touchdown. 21-10 Rams. 12 yards 10 plays, 57 yards.

After a strong start their QB Max Hall is having a lot of trouble finding the right touch on his passes. They go 3 and out after the WR can’t wriggle free from a good tackle by the corner.

We are moving the ball well in the 2 minute offense until they send a blitz and Stucker makes a poor read, forcing a pass into double coverage that is picked off by the safety. It is returned 70 yards for the touchdown. 21-17 Rams. Big mistake that really changes this game before the half. We almost score before going into half as Stucker is able to hit Means on a long heave to the 6 yard line but the clock runs out before we can spike the ball.

BYU gets the ball to open the 2nd half. They throw a short swing pass out to the fullback and Cornelson lays the wood to him. FUMBLE! Rupp falls on it for the turnover! 1st and 10 from their 34!

“Play action pass, Stucker with good protection, he hits Means crossing over the middle. Missed tackle by the corner and Means is up the sideline. 20….15….stiff arms a man at the 10…5….and knocked out of bounds at the 2!” Bell punches the ball in for the touchdown. 28-17 Rams. 3 plays, 34 yards.

BYU is putting together a good drive with some sharp passing from Hall. Hall has been a mystery today: looks great one drive, terrible the next. 6 yard draw up the middle for a touchdown…no, wait a minute. Holding on the left tackle will push them back to the 16. Good tackle by Cornelson to fight off the block on 1st and goal followed by two incomplete passes holds them to a FG. 28-20 Rams. 10 plays, 46 yards.

First carry on our next drive and Bell is down. Looks like he will be out for the rest of the game. True freshman Brandon Lee (6’2” 209) will need to carry the load from here on out. This will be good exposure for this kid. Next play…INT. Stucker had his man open on the slant and it was just an off target pass. Returned to our 22. Stucker has looked bad in this one.

We are able to keep everything in front of us and keep BYU from going far. 23 yard field goal is good. 28-23 Rams. 6 plays, 14 yards.

We come up a yard short on their 44 and have to punt. Some good work by the youngster Lee on that drive. The punt goes through the endzone for a touchback. About 7 minutes left in the game.

Damn, I am not missing my former middle linebacker Jeff Horinek who bolted to the pros at all. This cat Curtis Cornelson is a tackling machine. He shot past the line and just brought ballcarrier down a yard shy on 3rd and 2. They are at our 45 and are going to go for it on 4th down and 1. Quick swing pass to the back….just past the sticks., 1st down. Wow. Wow. Wide receiver reverse with great blocking and the wideout breaks two tackles. 43 yards for a touchdown. That one stings. BYU goes for two but we stop them short. 29-28 Cougars. 5 minutes left.

Another good drive stalls at the 45 when the backup tight end drops a pass that would have given us a first down. We have to punt it away again, 3 minutes left. Low kick and their best wideout Michael Reed fields it. Backup linebacker Ricky Brewer tags him and he fumbles! They recover the ball though. Reed is hurt and I doubt he will see the field again in this one.

Big play, 3rd and 4 from their 45 and they convert it on a short hook. They picked on the freshman corner who is on the field due to the injury to Wilkinson.. Only 2 minutes left in the game. Two more completions - surprised they are throwing but then again they have not run the ball well so far. They have pushed it to our 15 yard line. Option run…they pitch it….and Tonga will take it all the way. Touchdown BYU. 36-28 BYU. 1:34 left and we need a TD and 2 point to tie. One timeout.

We move the ball up the field but we chew up a lot of clock to do it. 23 seconds left at their 41 yard line, still 1 timeout. Sack….our right guard just got abused. I have to use our last timeout. 3rd and very long from the 50 and BYU comes out in prevent. They leave the safety one on one with Means…..jump ball…..Means has it! Touchdown! But we still need the two and Bell, Mr. Bulldozer, is out injured. We have been excellent on these short yardage running plays this year - I just hope the young freshman Lee is up for this. The RUUUUUUUUN….NO, he doesn’t get it! Stopped a yard shy! We fail to recover the onside kick and BYU runs out the clock.

Disappointing loss at home in front of our best recruits. You remember what I said about screwing up in conference play? Looks like it is coming true.

Code:
BYU CSU First Downs 16 19 Total Offense 308 408 Rushes-Yds-TD 19-123-2 39-141-2 Comp-Att-TD 20-30-1 17-26-3 Passing Yards 185 267 3rd Down Conv 4-10 (40%) 11-15 (73%) 4th Down Conv 1-1 (0%) 0-0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0-1 (0%) 0-1 (0%) Red Zone-TD-FG 5-2-3 (100%) 4-3-0 (100%) Turnovers 1 3 Fumbles Lost 1 0 Intercepted 0 3 Punt Return Yds 0 8 Kick Return Yds 142 150 Total Yards 450 566 Punts-Avg 2-27.0 2-34.0 Penalties-Yards 3-20 2-15 Sacks 3 1 T.O.P. 12:18 19:46 Brigham Young Key Performers QB Max Hall - 20 of 30 for 185 yards, 1 TD 0 INTs. 5 car for 18 yards. HB Manase Tonga - 11 carries for 57 yards, 1 TD. 5 receptions for 18 yards. WR Saia Hafoka - 5 receptions for 59 yards WR Michael Reed - 4 receptions for 42 yards, 1 TD WR Ryan Kessman - 2 receptions for 22 yards, 1 run for 48 yards and a TD LB Vernon Kennedy - 10 tackles (1 for loss) LB David Nixon - 7 tackles (2 for loss), 1 INT FS Kellen Fowler - 8 tackles, 1 INT for TD, 2 passed defensed DT Kyle Luekenga - 2 tackles (2 for loss), 2 sacks Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 17 of 26 for 267 yards, 3 TD 3 INT HB Kyle Bell - 21 carries for 82 yards, 2 TD HB Brandon Lee - 13 carries for 45 yards, 0 TD WR Chris Means - 5 receptiosn for 138 yards, 2 TD LB Curtis Cornelson - 12 tackles (2 for loss), 1 sack, 1 forced fumble

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-20-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #60
Ironhead
College Prospect

Midseason Update

We are at the midpoint of the season so time for a quick update.

Code:
Heisman Watch Player POS YEAR TEAM STATS C.J. Gable HB JR USC 122 car, 678 yds, 6 TD, 3 rec TD DeMarco Murray HB SO(RS) Oklahoma 99 car, 762 yds, 14 TD Jamaal Charles HB SR Texas 104 car, 712 yds 9 TD Joe Ganz QB SR(RS) Nebraska 118 of 184 1906 yds, 15 TD 3 INT Drew Weatherford QB SR(RS) Florida State 120 of 203 1977 yds, 23 TD 8 INT Gable is starting because Stafon Johnson was injured in USC's first game of the season and is out for the year.

Code:
Mountain West Conference Standings TEAM REC CONF PF PA San Diego State 6-1 4-0 234 155 New Mexico 3-4 3-0 213 259 TCU 3-3 2-1 199 174 UNLV 4-3 2-1 187 179 Utah 2-4 2-1 185 193 Colorado State 5-2 1-2 206 170 BYU 2-4 1-3 174 220 Wyoming 3-4 0-3 165 162 Air Force 1-5 0-4 105 180

Code:
Current Recruiting Board Player POS RANK TOP 3 SCHOOLS VISIT Travis Reynolds 6'3" 190 CB #214 CSU, OKST, UTAH Wk 7 (C) Matt Douglas 6'0" 190 QB #366 CSU, KSU, CU Wk 7 (C) Terrance Thomas 6'0" 227 MLB #394 WISC, HOU, TCU Wk 7 (C) Zac Parker 6'5" 292 C #883 CSU, CU, KSU Wk 7 (C) Terrance Samuel 6'5" 246 TE #368 CSU, OKST, ISU Wk 9 Dustin McDaniel 5'10" 173 WR #142 CSU, UCLA, CU Wk 9 Ryan Baker 6'4" 275 DT #395 CSU, ASU, TEXAS Wk 9 Joe Charles 6'1" 300 DT #804 ECU, SU, CSU Wk 9 Corey Kramer 6'1" 274 DE #292 NEB, UCLA, WISC N/A Devin Harrell 5'8" 206 HB #218 ND, NEB, CLEM N/A Javan Smith 6'3" 194 FS #788 CSU, NEV, IDAHO WK 7 (C) Adam Jacques 5'9" 187 CB #610 UTAH, AF, CSU Wk 12 Jeff Rankin 6'6" 336 T #318 IOWA, CSU, TEXAS Wk 12 Ryan Young 6'1" 184 WR #328 SDSU, ORST, USC N/A Josh Mason 6'6" 242 DE #621 ASU, UCLA, LSU N/A Elton Pitts 6'5" 311 T #687 UCLA, ASU, CU N/A Nick Williams 6'1" 198 ATH #998 UNLV, UTAH, STAN Wk 12 Marvin Porter 6'3" 234 MLB #983 CSU, BYU, NEV Wk 12 Brandon Booth 5'11" 166 SS #661 TAMU, BAMA, TENN N/A Larry Bryant 6'4" 271 DT #550 TTU, CSU, NEB Wk 12 Chris Walker 6'3" 188 FS #945 HAW, CSU, BYU Wk 12 Trent Gatewood 6'3" 198 P #1776 CIN, CSU, ARKST Wk 12 Jon Smith 6'1" 324 DT #1487 UNLV, BYU, CSU Wk 9 Dedrick Olson 6'1" 215 OLB #298 BYU, OU, OKST N/A Vincent Easley 6'4" 223 DE #652 OU, UCLA, CLEM N/A Ryan Blount 6'2" 206 WR #1005 MINN, CSU, CMU Wk 9 Mike Jones 6'0" 180 WR #1131 WYO, AF, CSU TBD Terrance Poppinga 6'3" 280 T #738 PSU, MICH, WISC N/A

I am pretty confident that I will land everyone in my top 7 with the exception of MLB Terrance Thomas. He is a Texas boy and I am battling Wisconsin, Houston and TCU for him. I think we might be close to breaking into his Top 3 though.

Some really tough nuts to crack in there. DE Corey Kramer is from Nebraska and his only other scholarship offer right now is from Nebraska. The guy just isn't giving me a chance despite the fact that I score very well in two of his key areas (Coach Experience & Prestige). I love his size and overall blend of speed/power so I am going to keep trying to get him.

A couple of the guys on there I just added last week and haven't had talking time with them. Tailback Devin Harrell is an interesting one - he is from California and so far no one has really gone after him. He has a build like Barry Sanders in that he is built like a stump. He is very fast but don't expect any Barry like moves though. I might not be able to get anywhere with him but he is worth a shot.

Next Game:
THE BORDER WAR!
Colorado State (5-2) at Wyoming (3-4)

My god do I owe them payback in spades. Their offense embarrased our defense in last year's finale and prevented us from winning the MWC. Our #1 objective in this game is to batter, beat down and bruise tailback Wynel Seldon who, to put it softly, left tread marks on our defense last year.

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-09-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:20 PM   #61
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 8 Recap

37 degrees and sunny here in Laramie, Wyoming. Get ready for the Border War as these two rivals are playing for rights to The Bronze Boot. This meeting marks the 100th game between these two teams. Wyoming has won the last two times these teams have met.

No TV broadcast for this one, which is surprising given that this is a big rivalry game and last year’s game was a barn burner. Wyoming has several of their key prospects attending so it would give me great pleasure to whip them in this one. We welcome back starting cornerback DeAngelo Wilkinson after he missed two weeks due to injury.

Wyoming has won the toss and elected to receive. Same story as last year – they march the ball down the field, this time on the passing attack. They cap the drive off with a 1 yard option run for the TD. 7-0 Cowboys. 8 plays, 64 yards.

Huge return by Lee to their 43 yard line, his longest of the season. A first down and then a sack leaves us with 3rd and 17 from the 37 yard line. Stucker drops back, all day to pass…Means is running a route deep down the middle…the throw….he splits the defenders and takes the ball across the goalline. Touchdown! With that catch Means just broke the school record for touchdowns in the a season and we still have four games to play! Holey smokes, how good is this kid going to be? 7-7 tie. 4 plays, 42 yards.

Oh dear, here we go again…second play of their drive results in a 66 yard touchdown pass. The wideout got behind the zone coverage of the safety and left him in the dust. Looks like this might turn into a shootout like last season’s game. 14-7 Wyoming. 2 plays, 67 yards.

Square fumbles the kickoff. It looked to me like it was caused by the ground but there is no review. Wyoming takes over on our 31 yard line. They get up to our 10 yard line but a holding penalty pushes them into a 1st and goal from our 20. On 3rd down they hit the tight end crossing over the middle who breaks a tackle and then carries my safety 5 yards before falling just short at the 1 yard line. They settle for the chip shot field goal. 17-7 Wyoming. 7 plays, 29 yards.

Confusion on the kickoff causes us to start at the 9 yard line. A very impressive drive gets us all the way up to the 13 yard line before an interception ends the drive. Cornerback had eyes in the back of his head on that one. Returned out to the 30.

My true freshman cornerback Jermaine Ruud, who was a 4 star prospect, has two nice defensed passes on their drive and they go 3 and out. Ruud has played well so far this year.

We have a couple of nice plays but the drive ends when Stucker overshoots the outstretched arms of Means. Our punt dies at their 5 yard line! I have to tell you, this punter isn’t much for leg but he sure seems great at pinning the ball inside the 10 yard line.

We are doing a good job on run defense so far, holding Seldon to 26 yards on 9 carries. Pass defense is struggling. They run a draw on 3rd and 6 and we stop it in it’s tracks.

Good return by Lee and we will start at their 39 yard line. A balanced 7 play drive results in Bell crossing the goal line on a 3 yard run up the gut. 17-14 Cowboys.

Another good drive by Wyoming gets up to the 20 yard line before we are able to bring it to a close. They add the 37 yard field goal with 50 seconds left in the half. 20-14 Wyoming. 9 plays, 51 yards. Their quarterback Sween has been very accurate today.

Another good return by Lee up to midfield. The Cowboys get heavy pressure forcing a bad pass from Stucker that is picked off. His man was open but the pass got away from him. Wyoming comes out and is going to try and air it out with 14 seconds left. First pass is a short 10 yard completion to the tailback Seldon and they call a timeout. Ball at the 45 and they are going to just chuck it up to the endzone. The pass is…overthrown, picked off by the 4th cornerback Williams. The receiver hits him from behind and he fumbles! THE BALL IS ON THE GOALLINE! WYOMING FALLS ON THE BALL FOR A TD! Talk about bad luck for the Rams. 27-14 Wyoming going into the half.

Our offense takes the field to start the second half and they are fired up. Bell has the ground game going full steam and carries the ball 4 times for 29 yards on the drive, including a 3 yard touchdown burst across the goal line! Our starting tight end Kawulok, who has been pretty quiet this season, added a 30 yard reception on the drive. 27-21 Wyoming. 6 plays, 57 yards.

A good stick by outside linebacker Jake Pottorff on 3rd and short forces Wyoming to try a very long field goal. It actually has the distance but sails wide right. Our ensuing drive is a 3 and out and we have to punt. The ball skips through the endzone for a touchback.

Still doing a good job containing Seldon. On 3rd down Curtis Cornelson wraps up Seldon’s legs and tackles him short of the first down. Wyoming has to punt from their 40. We go in the wrong direction on our next drive – sacked twice forcing a 3 and out.

A good punt return by Seldon gives them starting field position at our 40 yard line. We tackle Seldon a yard short of the 1st down again. This is curious, they elect to punt it from our 32 yard line. The ball goes out at the 15 yard line.

Not much doing after picking up a 1st down. They stop Bell short on 1st down and leave us in a long passing situation that we can’t convert. We have to punt it away. Game still tied 27-21 with about 6:30 left in the game.

After keeping him contained for the first 3 quarters Seldon stops fooling around and starts breaking off some runs. They get into the redzone and find their tight end over the middle for the touchdown. They decide to go for two and they get it on a short pass. 35-21 Wyoming. I hate these guys. 4 minutes left.

Stucker drops back to pass and is under pressure. He buys time by getting out of the pocket but makes a poor decision to throw across his body and it is picked off by the corner. What a disaster our conference play has been.

Seldon is down and he is hurt. It looks like his back and I doubt he will return to the game. Leaping interception by Ruud on a crossing route! That’s his first as a college athlete. 3 minutes left in the game.

Stucker is leading a beautiful drive here and is using the sideline well. With the ball on the 13 yard line we give the ball to Bell for the first time on the drive. He gets hit at the line by a linebacker but retains his footing, finds a crease and drags two tackles 3 yards into the endzone for the score! That’s his 3rd touchdown of the game and 12th of the season! What a weapon down by the goal line. Oh no! Chamorro missed the extra point! That means we will need a 2 point conversion to tie. 35-27 Wyoming. 1:32 left. We have all of our timeouts remaining.

With Seldon out of the game we decide to kick it off and try to hold them. Two runs and two timeouts bring us to the deciding play of the game. 3rd and 3 from their 39, 1 timeout left and we need the ball back. They line up in a tight running formation and we match with our own. They’re going to pass it! The tight end is wide open for the first down. That does it folks. Colorado State goes down for the 3rd straight game.

Code:
CSU WYO First Downs 20 18 Total Offense 333 406 Rushes-Yds-TD 27-98-3 34-114-1 Comp-Att-TD 18-29-1 22-31-2 Passing Yards 235 292 3rd Down Conv 6-10 (60%) 3-12 (25%) 4th Down Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (0%) Red Zone-TD-FG 4-3-0 (75%) 3-2-1 (100%) Turnovers 5 2 Fumbles Lost 2 0 Intercepted 3 2 Punt Return Yds 33 26 Kick Return Yds 158 130 Total Yards 524 562 Punts-Avg 4-43.8 4-31.5 Penalties-Yards 3-13 2-15 Sacks 0 5 T.O.P. 15:55 16:11 Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 18 of 29 for 235 yards, 1 TD 3 INT RB Kyle Bell - 24 carries for 105 yards, 3 TD. 4 rec for 35 yards WR Chris Means - 4 receptions for 76 yards, 1 TD LB Curtis Cornelson - 11 tackles LB Jake Pottorff - 6 tackles (3 for loss) CB Jermaine Ruud - 8 tackles (2 for loss), 1 INT, 1 pass defensed Wyoming Key Performers QB Karsten Sween - 22 of 31 for 292 yards, 2 TD 2 INT. 7 car for 12 yards RB Wynel Seldon - 23 carries for 87 yards RB Devin Moore - 4 carries for 15 yards, 1 TD WR Greg Bolling - 5 receptions for 89 yards, 1 TD WR Kyle Jacobo - 5 receptions for 75 yards, 1 fumble recovery for TD TE Chris Sundberg - 4 receptions for 59 yards, 1 TD DT John Fletcher - 5 tackles (2 for loss), 2 sacks SS Derrick McMahen - 3 tackles, 1 INT, 1 forced fumble LE Mitch Unrein - 4 tackles (2 for loss), 1 sack

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-20-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #62
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 9 Recap

Sunny and 40 degrees today in Fort Collins. Another game with no broadcast. I have my second wave of recruits attending today so this is an important one to win. I am going to catch a bit of a break in this game as the Lobos’ excellent senior tailback Rodney Ferguson will miss the game to injury. I don’t think his backup is anything we can’t handle.

New Mexico wins the toss and elects to receive. The get a great return up to their 45 but no more. Cornerback Jermaine Ruud makes a good play on 3rd and 6 to break up the quick slant pattern. New Mexico lines up for a 55 yard field goal and it falls short. We take over but nothing doing on our drive as we go 3 and out. A lousy punt goes out a their 35 yard line.

The Lobos are putting together a solid passing attack, led by mobile Junior QB Donovan Porterie, and are moving the ball quickly. Their running back Baker caps on the drive with a 10 yard scamper off the draw. 7-0 Lobos. 6 plays, 62 yards. Not to rant here but it seems like it has been weeks since we got any pressure on the QB.

Bell is doing some good work on the ground but the passing game is cold as a morgue locker out of the gate. The drive ends when we fail to convert on a 3rd and 5. It would be a 54 yarder from this range. I think Chamorro only has enough leg for just a hair over 50 yards so I decide to punt it and hope we pin them in poor field position. Ugh, 14 yard punt. They take over at the 23.

New Mexico comes out in a 5 wide set. Porterie drops back…he shoots it out to the right side of the field…picked off by nickel corner Junior Williams. HE HAS OPEN FIELD…TOUCHDOWN! Williams was sittin’ like a spider in zone coverage on that pick! 7-7 Tie.

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ ‘bout! Defensive end Tommie Hill sacks Porterie for a big loss on 2nd down and they can’t convert on 3rd down. After a short punt return we take over on our 29.

New Mexico is getting a lot of pressure on passing plays. Another sack, their 3rd of the 1st quarter and it will end our drive. We punt it away from midfield and it is downed at the 14.

Same as always we are having trouble stopping the draw out of 3 & 4 wideout sets. Porterie drops back to pass on 3rd and 1 but Wade Landers gets him for the sack! The guy has been invisible all year at end but I’ll take it! After looking at the replay it was just a pure breakdown in the blocking scheme – the right tackle did an ole and let him right though!

Both teams swap several non-descript drives in a row. Neither team seems able to grab this game by the horns and run with it.

New Mexico finally starts putting something together. Pass plays of 10 and 22 yards with a couple of nice runs, again on the draw, get them up to my 29. Porterie with a quick snap and pass that is picked off by Ruud! The little guy’s got wheels but Porterie does too and he might have an angle…Ruud has the sideline and he’s GONE! Touchdown Ruud! His 2nd interception of the season and first touchdown of his career! Give that true freshman the ball! 14-7 Rams. Porterie already want to forget this game.

Porterie comes right back and leads a very good 2 minute offense. With time winding down and no timeouts left New Mexico has to settle for a 22 yard field goal. 14-10 Rams. 8 plays, 61 yards. Nice way to comeback by Porterie – he completed 4 of 5 for 50 yards on that drive.

We get the ball to open the 2nd half and like clockwork go 3 and out. Good punt is downed at the 7 yard line. Bell is getting his but in general nothing working for us on offense. Luckily the defense has been up to the task so far.

Speak of the devil! New Mexico just tried to go 5 wide again and Cornelson picked off a pass meant for the tailback. He has blocking to the sideline…touchdown! That was a poor read by Porterie – Cornelson was all over the tailback in coverage. Just a poor, poor game for the Lobos’ junior quarterback.

Whoa….option keeper by Porterie for 60 yards. Kid showing he has heart. 1st and goal from the 4. Touchdown Lobos on a 3 yard sweep. 21-17 Rams. 5 plays, 71 yards.

Stucker drops back to pass with time to throw. Medium range pass down the middle and it’s picked off by the outside linebacker in underneath coverage. Poor read by Stucker. Why do I get the feeling that we are about to fall apart? New Mexico takes over on our 42.

We have no answer for them this drive. Two passes to their wideout Caprioli of 11 and 23 yards is followed by a 5 yard run that the tailback Baker bounced to the corner. Kubiak almost had the ankle tackle but Baker fell across the goal line. They miss the XP - off the upright and back onto the field! 23-21 Lobos. 4 plays, 42 yards.

Excellent return by Square gives us starting field position at the Lobos 47 yard line. Two strong runs of 14 yards and 7 yards by Bell are wasted by yet another feckless passing attack. New Mexico’s free safety makes a great play on 3rd and long to knock down a deep pass over the middle intended for Means. Means could have coasted into the endzone if the safety didn’t make that play. We are going to try the long yard field goal. This would match Chamorro’s career long of 51 yards which he hit last year against BYU. The kick is up…and it’s good with maybe 2 yards to spare. Great kick by the junior! 24-23 Rams. 5 plays, 12 yards.

We are prepared for the draw play on their next drive and hold them to a 3 and out. That brings us to the end of the 3rd quarter. One more to go. Let’s hold ‘em boys.

Excellent drive is wasted when Stucker throws a pick inside the redzone. He was looking to loop one up to Means for a jump ball but there just wasn’t enough air on it. Easy pick for the corner. After an awesome start to the year Stucker is really playing lousy the last couple of games. New Mexico returns the pick to their 32 yard line.

Back to back 17 yard passes to the tight end have New Mexico in striking distance. Porterie with the option keeper…no he pitches it. FUMBLE! New Mexico recovers. Good awareness by the tailback to just fall on it. Big play here by the defense on 3rd and 9 with 5:20 remaining. Swing pass to Baker…the corner has him wrapped up…POTTORFF YOU IDIOT! My outside linebacker Jake Pottorff just hit the tailback from behind and pushed him across the line for a first down. I’m pissed at him right now and his ass is coming out of the game. Second year freshman Luke Diehl will get some at the weakside linebacker position in his place. We hold them without another first down and they have to settle for the field goal. 26-24 Lobos. 10 plays, 54 yards. Under 4 minutes remaining.

Square muffs the kickoff but is able to recover - we will have to start the drive at our 17. Bell wants the ball and he delivers. 25 yard run on 1st down as he bowls over the cornerback. Stucker back to pass…it’s a jailbreak…no it’s a screen! Stucker lofts it to the true freshman Brandon Lee and he has blockers! Past midfield….35…30…25….and finally brought down at the 21 yard line. Nifty 35 yard play there to give the Rams a shot at the lead. Big play here, 3rd and 3 from the 16 with 1:35 to go. The handoff to Bell up the gut…he gets hit at the line and is able to drive forward for the first down! Next play…New Mexico attacks the middle of the line but it’s a misdirection - Bell is in the open against the cornerback! GET OUTTA HERE GNAT! TOUCHDOWN BELL! We line it up to go for 2 and Bell pounds it in! Damn, holding by the tight end. We settle for the extra point. 31-26. 7 plays, 80 yards.

This drive could make or break our season. Senior linebacker Curtis Cornelson gathers the defense and gets them pumped up for this drive. 1 minute remaining and New Mexico starts from their 30 yard line needing a touchdown to win. They have all 3 timeouts. Nobody open on 1st down…short checkdown route by the sideline and the receiver can’t get out of bounds – good tackle by corner DeAngelo Wilkinson. New Mexico uses their first timeout. 2nd and 5, Lobos in a 4 wide set…the running back motions out of the backfield…Porterie back to pass…his wideout Caprioli has the corner beat 30 yard down the field…ALMOST picked off by the free safety Kubiak. Porterie didn’t see him roaming the deep middle of the field in zone coverage. 3rd down upcoming. Quick drop, slant over the middle…complete, first down Lobos at midfield. Porterie drops back to pass…good pressure and he is scrambling out of the pocket…no, McWilliams tripped him up at the line. Good play by McWilliams because Porterie can scoot and he had a good 20 yards of open field in front of him. New Mexico uses their second timeout. 34 seconds remaining. New Mexico comes out in trips left and I don’t like our defense – I use our last timeout. Umm…handoff to the tailback but the safety Kubiak comes up and makes a good stick at the line. New Mexico hurries back to the line. They are using up too much time here! Short pass over the middle is good for only 2 yards. Clock still running. Another handoff?!?!?!?!?!?! A crowd of green shirts pull the tailback down a yard shy of the 1st down. That’s a turnover on downs folks! Holey moley that was some atrocious play calling. New Mexico will lose this game and still have a timeout left! We kneel on the ball with 1 second left and walk out with the win.

Code:
UNM CSU First Downs 19 12 Total Offense 418 211 Rushes-Yds-TD 34-152-3 26-120-1 Comp-Att-TD 21-29-0 10-17-0 Passing Yards 266 91 3rd Down Conv 5-12 (41%) 2-9 (22%) 4th Down Conv 0-1 (0%) 0-0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (0%) Red Zone-TD-FG 5-3-2 (100%) 2-1-0 (50%) Turnovers 3 2 Fumbles Lost 0 0 Intercepted 3 2 Punt Return Yds 13 31 Kick Return Yds 160 109 Total Yards 591 351 Punts-Avg 4-35.5 6-35.7 Penalties-Yards 1-5 4-30 Sacks 4 5 T.O.P. 16:37 15:27 New Mexico Key Performers QB Donovan Porterie - 21 of 29 for 266 yards, 0 TD 3 INT. 7 carries for 79 yds. HB Paul Baker - 27 carries for 90 yards, 3 TDs TE Chris Mark - 5 receptions for 56 yards WR Jason Caprioli - 4 receptions for 51 yards LB Jake Bowe - 5 tackles, 1 INT, 1 pass defensed LB Carmen Messina - 5 tackles (2 for loss), 1 sack LB Herbert Felder - 6 tackles (1 for loss), 1 sack Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 10 of 17 for 91 yards, 0 TD 2 INT HB Kyle Bell - 19 carries for 129 yards, 1 TD HB Brandon Lee - 1 carry for 2 yards. 2 receptions for 48 yards. FS Klint Kubiak - 13 tackles (1 for loss), 1 pass defensed LE Wade Landers - 6 tackles (2 for loss), 2 sacks RE Tommmie Hill - 8 tackles (3 for loss), 1 sack LB Curtis Cornelson - 8 tackles (2 for loss), 1 INT for TD CB Junior Williams - 6 tackles, 1 INT for TD CB Jermaine Ruud - 5 tackles, 1 INT for TD

Recruiting Update
We finally nabbed our first commitment for the 2009 signing class. QB Matt Douglas (6'0" 190 lbs) is from Littleton, CO and chose us over Kansas State and Colorado. Mostly he wanted to stay very close to home and was very impressed by Coach Lubick's experience as a coach. Matt is a three star propsect ranked 366th in the nation and the 29th ranked QB prospect.

This is how he grades out:
Code:
40 Time: 4.88 Bench: 277 lbs Squat: 350 lbs OVR THP THA ELU SPD STR AWR AGI ACC STA INJ JMP C B+ B- C C- D A- C+ C- B- B D-

I have trimmed down our current recruiting board to 21 players. I am in a serious battle right now with TCU, Wisconsin and Houston over a middle linebacker who will probably have a chance to start as a true freshman. Not because I expect him to be a world beater - I'm just not going to have anyone else to man the position next year.

Comment on this Week's Top 25
I'm not an Oklahoma fan but the fact that they dropped all the way down to #10 after losing to Oklahoma State is just bull$@%&. They only have 1 loss and they have already beaten Texas and Miami who are now currently ranked above them. Based on their schedule they should be no lower than 6 right now. They are still slated to play in the Big 12 conference game as long as there are no more losses in conference play.

Speaking of conference play there is a huge game coming up between #5 Penn State and #3 Iowa in Week 11 that should determine who takes the conference.

Code:
Heisman Watch Player POS YEAR TEAM STATS Jamaal Charles HB SR Texas 150 car, 1012 yds 11 Rush TD, 4 Rec TD Joe Ganz QB SR(RS) Nebraska 158 of 252 2420 yds, 21 TD 4 INT. 5 Rush TD Spencer Adkins ROLB SR Miami 59 tkl(18 tfl), 5 sacks, 6 INT, 2 FF, 1 blocked FG Tim Tebow QB JR Florida 137 of 233 1916 yds, 16 TD 9 INT. 9 Rush TD LaMarcus Coker HB JR(RS) Tennessee 165 car, 1004 yds 8 Rush TD, 4 Rec TD Dropped Out: QB Drew Weatherford (Florida State) RB DeMarco Murray (Oklahoma) HB C.J. Gable (USC)

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-20-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 AM   #63
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, good dynasty! Keep it up if you can. Tonight is the first time I've seen it, and I read through the whole thing...It's like a good book you can't put down.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #64
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Wow, good dynasty! Keep it up if you can. Tonight is the first time I've seen it, and I read through the whole thing...It's like a good book you can't put down.

+1 I am loving it!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #65
Ironhead
College Prospect

Sorry to say this might be on hold for a while. My NCAA disk appears to have a crack in it and evertime I try to play my next game I get a dirty disk error. I remember someone else on the Operation Sports board reported the exact same thing and posted some pictures. The crack on my disk is in the exact same place as his with a strange triangle discoloration on the disk. I am wondering if this is some type of manufacturing flaw. I would rather have the company replace the disk then shell out $60 bucks for a new one.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #66
Ironhead
College Prospect

After some research it seems this is simply an Xbox 360 issue.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #67
Ironhead
College Prospect

Went ahead and reordered the game today - should have this up and running sometime later this week.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #68
Ironhead
College Prospect

Awesome, received my 2nd copy of the game in the mail today so this should get rockin' & rollin' again this weekend. I took advantage of EASportsworld coming back online to go back and update all of the pictures from this season's games.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

Go Pokes!

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-20-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This dynasty is extremely well presented and looks absolutely fantastic. Keep it up..even if are CSU!
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #71
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 10 Recap

37 degrees, clear and cold on this Saturday night in Fort Collins. TCU always has a very good team when compared to the talent level in the Mountain West conference. This should be an uphill fight.

We win the toss and elect to receive the opening kickoff. We string together a couple of nice plays and move the ball up to their 39 yard line. TCU brings a zone blitz on 3rd & 5 and Stucker lays a ball out to Means down the left side of the field. Means is matched up one on one with the corner…Means has it, breaks a tackle and takes it in for the score! 7-0 Rams. 5 plays, 63 yards. Great start to the game by the offense.

3 and out by TCU. Their tailback Aaron Brown was fighting for yardage but the free safety Kubiak cleaned him up a yard short of the first down. The punt goes out of bounds and we will take over on our own 35.

Poor pass by Stucker gets picked off by the safety. They return it to our 11 and it is Stucker who makes the touchdown saving tackle. We aren’t going to beat TCU today if we turn the ball over.

We stuff the run on first down but true freshman cornerback Jermaine Ruud gets beat on a quick slant and quarterback Marcus Jackson puts the ball right on his receivers numbers for a TD. 7-7 all.

3rd and 1 and there is no push from our O-line as Bell gets bottled up a yard in the backfield. We have to punt the ball away and it skips into the endzone for touchback.

TCU moves the ball in a hurry with gains of 13 yards, 20 yards and 13 yards. Jackson drops back to pass and he shoots one over the middle to his running back…it’s PICKED OFF by the big ole’ buffet buster at defensive tackle, Devin McWilliams. The big fella just stuck his mitts up there and OOPS, look what he found. We take over on our own 34 yard line.

On our next drive Stucker gets hammered after the play and he is down in pain. It looked late to me but no flag on the play. Billy Farris will take over at quarterback. The drive chugs along on some hard running by Bell – the offensive line seems to be getting more of a push on this drive. A sack at the 21 yard line puts an end to any touchdown ambitions and we line up for the field goal. Chamorro is terribly wide with the field goal attempt from 38 yards out.

Good open field tackle by Cornelson against the option puts an end to TCU’s drive. Both offenses seem to be playing a little conservative so far.

Stucker is already back under center again. A couple of short passes and a beautiful 28 yard screen play to Bell puts us in scoring range at TCU’s 29 yard line. On 3rd down Stucker goes for the whole kit and caboodle but the corner makes an excellent play on a deep pass over the middle intended for Means. We line up for a 45 yard field goal attempt by Chamorro. Holey mackerel….that wouldn’t have been good even if he was aiming for the Grand Canyon. Terribly wide, this time to the left. That’s 6 points we have left on the field so far. Still tied 7-7.

TCU still can’t find their rhythm on offense and they go 3 and out again. We take over on our 46 after a slick return by the backup tailback Brandon Lee. Not much happening on our drive and the clock winds down on the first half. We have dominated time of possession so far thanks to a good running attack and strong run defense but the scoreboard doesn’t reflect it.

TCU gets the ball to start the 3rd quarter. Just when I praise our run defense TCU busts one – 55 yard touchdown run by Brown. He got the ball on a quick pitch to the right, broke a tackle attempt by the freshman corner Ruud and was gone down the sideline. 14-7 TCU. 4 plays, 66 yards.

We go play action of our first play. Stucker stands tall with heavy pressure in his face and gets it away to Morton on the out route…he drops it. That’s it – I have had enough of that kid and he is going to get demoted for a while. Very disappointing season from him. Junior wideout Chaz Miles will get some snaps in his place. Next play TCU shows heavy blitz and I have to burn a timeout as there was no time to change the play. Great tip toe catch by Means on the sideline gives us a first down on 3rd and short. I can’t sing this kids praises enough – hell of a player. The Horned Frogs tighten up on defense and put an end to our drive at midfield.

We have no answer for TCU on their next drive. They move the ball at will and cap off the drive with a 32 yard touchdown pass on a blown assignment in the secondary. Sophomore cornerback DeAngelo Wilkinson was supposed to be playing the deep part of the field but came up to defend the short route and he was torched. 21-7 TCU and this one is starting to get away from us.

We manage to get the ball to TCU’s 38 yard line but get sacked on back to back plays. With about 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and our kicker really shaky today I decide to go for it on 4th and 10 from their 38 yard line. Great protection allows the quarterback’s 4th read to come open over the middle for the 1st down! Chris Means makes another big play as he beats his man on the outside and gets tackled at the 1 yard line. Bell takes the handoff and walks into the endzone untouched – great blocking up front. 21-14 Horned Frogs. 11 plays, 54 yards.

Our run defense buckles down again and holds TCU to a 3 and out on 3 running plays. Overall we have been excellent in 3rd and short situations today on defense.

Means goes up and pulls down another long pass in 1 on 1 coverage – this one a 32 yarder. That mismatch has been there all day as Means (6’5” 210 lbs) is just way too physical for the opposing cornerback (5’10 165 lbs). Pass interference on the linebacker covering Kawulok over the middle will give us a 1st & 10 at TCU’s 28 yard line. Play action…good catch by Chaz Miles dragging across the field, that is good for 19 yards. Inside the 10 we break out Bell and run it right at the defense. On 3rd and goal from the 6 yard line Bell finds a crease on the left side of the line and mows on through for a TD! 21-21. 7 plays, 69 yards. 5:15 remaining.

TCU has busted out the spread attack this drive – that means trouble for us. Excellent balance of running and passing has us confused on defense. We get a break as a holding penalty at the 12 yard line will back them up a bit. They line up in a tight running formation…play action…the pass goes the fullback in the flat and the fullback just runs over my corner like he isn’t even there and continues on to the endzone. 28-21 TCU. 9 plays, 60 yards. 2:45 left in the game. Their quarterback Marcus Jackson has been lights out today.

On first down I try to throw the wide receiver screen to Means but the cornerback recognizes it immediately. No where to throw the ball and we take a sack. Next play Stucker hits Morton, now playing in the slot, for a 13 yard gain. On 3rd and 5 Stucker hits Means on a short curl route and Means slips a tackle and turns it into a 37 yard play! A shoestring tackle by the corner in pursuit saved a sure touchdown. 1st and 10 from the 24, 1:45 left in the game. Plenty of time left and we don’t want to panic with the ball. The defense gets a little antsy and Stucker’s cadence draws them offside. 1st and 5 from the 19…sacke The end came unblocked and Stucker couldn’t get throw the ball away in time. 2nd & 11. Good protection, defense drops back into zone coverage. Stucker has time and tries to hit Bell on the wheel route near the sideline…too far, incomplete. 3rd and 11. Stucker’s cadence draws the defense offside again. 3rd and 6. Handoff to Bell and that is going nowhere - he is dragged to the ground 2 yards in the backfield. That was a bad, bad play call. Here we go, 4th & 8 from the 21 yard line. Stucker in the shotgun…Bell motions out of the backfield…the snap…TCU brings the heat and Kawulok is open over the middle…Stucker misses him! He was wide open for the 1st down and Stucker threw it long! That’s it. TCU runs out the clock and escapes with the win.

Code:
TCU CSU First Downs 14 16 Total Offense 351 322 Rushes-Yds-TD 27-159-1 25-6-2 Comp-Att-TD 15-17-3 25-36-1 Passing Yards 192 316 3rd Down Conv 3-7 (42%) 10-16 (62%) 4th Down Conv 0-0 (0%) 1-2 (50%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (0%) Red Zone-TD-FG 2-2-0 (100%) 4-2-0 (50%) Turnovers 1 1 Fumbles Lost 0 0 Intercepted 1 1 Punt Return Yds 2 31 Kick Return Yds 100 90 Total Yards 453 443 Punts-Avg 4-27.5 2-49.5 Penalties-Yards 6-45 1-5 Sacks 7 0 T.O.P. 12:06 19:58 TCU Key Performers QB Marcus Jackson - 15 of 17 for 192 yards, 3 TD 1 INT. 7 car for 20 yds. HB Aaron Brown - 19 carries for 138 yards, 1 TD WR Walter Bryant - 5 receptions for 76 yards, 1 TD LB Jason Phillips - 9 tackles (4 for loss), 1 sack DE Matt Panfil - 7 tackles (4 for loss), 3 sacks DE Allen Christopher - 3 tackles (3 for loss), 2 sacks CB Nick Sanders - 8 tackles (2 for loss), 2 passes defensed Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 25 of 35 for 316 yards, 1 TD 1 INT HB Kyle Bell - 22 carries for 50 yards, 2 TD. 6 rec for 57 yards. WR Chris Means - 5 receptions for 131 yards, 1 TD LB Curtis Cornelson - 8 tackles (2 for loss) DT Devin McWilliams - 2 tackles (1 for loss), 1 INT

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-23-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #72
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 11 Recap

This crazy train just goes on going as we face San Diego State today (8-2, 5-1). It’s a beautiful afternoon here at Qualcomm - 71 degrees and sunny.

We win the toss and elect to receive. First play of the game is a 9 yard run up the gut and Bell gets up hobbling – it’s his foot and the trainers will have to take a look at him. His backup, true freshman Brandon Lee, gets stuffed on back to back cracks at 3rd and short and we have to punt.

Not much trouble for San Diego State moving the ball on offense as they take their opening drive down the field for a TD. The tailback Tyler Campbell finishes the drive with a short 2 yard run behind his big ole 260 pound fullback. 7-0 Aztecs. 9 plays, 46 yards.

Bell is back in the game and we do a good job dictating play to the defense. Bell caps off a very encouraging drive with a 15 yard touchdown run off of right tackle. 7-7 all. 9 plays, 75 yards. Stucker looked sharp completing all 4 of his attempts for 42 yards.

3rd down and short and Senior QB Darren Mougey tries to hit his slot receiver on a quick slant – it’s picked off by Kubiak! He was sitting right there in zone coverage and barely had to move. We will take over with great field position at San Diego State’s 39 yard line. A sack ruins any shot of getting any points off the turnover. Ball on the 35 yard line and we decide to punt it away – I lost some confidence in Chamorro after last game. The punt sails into the endzone for a touchback.

This seems familiar - Mougey comes right back on offense and is picking us apart out of 3 wide sets. 7 plays later Mougey finds his wideout in the back of the endzone on an out and up pattern. 14-7 Aztecs. 7 plays, 79 yards.

Bell has become a nice little safety valve in the passing game this year – he just turned a short swing pass into a 21 yard gain. Chaz Miles, playing for the demoted Dion Morton, drops a sure touchdown pass from Stucker. What the hell is with that flanker position – whoever I put over there just seems to suck this season. 3rd and 5 from their 13…nooooooobody open and Stucker eats the sack. Chamorro comes out to try the 40 yard field goal…off the right upright. He just bends down and puts his head in his hands. That sums it up pretty well.

Mougey in the shotgun on 2nd down…quick snap and throw…picked off by the nickel corner Brooks! 25…20…and tackled by the quarterback at the 17. That’s the second time so far Mougey has made a bad read trying to go to his slot receiver.

Bell makes sure we don’t waste this one as he drags a tackler across the goal line on 3rd and goal from the half yard line. 14-14 tie. 6 plays, 15 yards. Bell just broke the 1,000 yard rushing mark on the season to boot!

San Diego State on the move again through the air. We really, really, really need to get some pressure on Mougey. We are able to hold on 3rd and 1 but the Aztecs add 3 more points on a 41 yard field goal. 17-14 San Diego State. 8 plays, 45 yards.

Nothing happening on our drive as we have a quick 3 and out on 3 incompletions. A great punt is downed at the 9 yard line. San Diego State just fiddles around with the ball a little and lets the clock run down to halftime.

San Diego State gets the ball to start the second half. Somebody alert the freakin’ press because we just got a sack! About time – overload blitz on the right side of the line and Landers came free. Good chance to stop ‘em here….play action pass and Patterson bites hard on the run and lets the tight end roam free over the middle for a 1st down completion. That last sack seems to have given Mougey happy feet – he just rushed back to back throws and the Aztecs will have to punt it away. That’s a touchback, ball placed at the 20.

Awesome…Bell stiff arms the strong safety coming in to make the tackle, the safety bounces a couple yards off and then come right back to try to tackle Bell again only to get face planted by another stiff arm. That was a 40 yard rumble – that might be Bell’s longest of the year. Bell is FIRED up and barking at his teammates. A sack puts us in a 3rd and 17 but Stucker gets great protection and finds Means sitting down in the deep middle of the field for the 1st. Bell finishes off the drive with a 5 yard run into the endzone! That’s his 3rd touchdown of the day! 21-17 Rams. 10 plays, 79 yards.

Defense is playing with some fire and has San Diego at their 21 yard line on 3rd and 16. Mougey shoots it out near the sideline to his tight end…first down. The tight end was just too tall for the cover man. Another sack, this one from Hill! Been a while since I called his name. Another 3rd and long…phew, they almost got it. Ruud missed the tackle but Galusha was there to stop the receiver an eyelash short of the first down. The Aztecs go ahead and punt it away – into the endzone again for a touchback.

Lets see if we can’t put some distance between us and the other team for once. More tough yards on the ground by Bell – we are up to their 43 but it has taken over 10 plays. 3rd down, Stucker drops back to pass – a man is coming free on the blitz and Stucker lets the ball go….picked off by the linebacker in a deep zone. Not a terrible pass…just not enough time to throw.

San Diego State is trying to run the ball here – first time all day they have tried to consistently go to the ground. It doesn’t get them far and sets them up in 3rd and long. We “hold” when their receiver drops the first down pass. They punt the ball away.

5 minutes left in the game. If we can grind this drive out and score a touchdown we will likely walk out of here with a great road win. Folks….he’s limping, he’s aching, he is battered and bruised – it’s doesn’t matter – Kyle Bell is not leaving the field and is willing this team to victory. If there is any question how important this guy is to this team this drive tells it all – 7 carries for 41 yards. The final play of the drive is an 11 yard run straight up the gut where a safety hits Bell at the 5 yard line, then a linebacker, and then a cornerback…but Bell still somehow manages to cross the goal line. You know, I wasn’t crazy about this Bell kid going into the season – I felt a little “trapped” with him and wanted to work the quicker true freshman Lee into the offense. Well Bell showed me that I was undeniably wrong and for that I couldn’t be happier. 28-17 Rams. 11 plays, 62 yards. 1 minute left in the game and we are about to hang a big ole “L” on the Aztec’s conference record.

Ugh…Mougey just his his wideout on a short pass, the receiver juked two tacklers and outran the entire defense for a 69 yard touchdown. And they convert the 2 point conversion. Why do these things always have to come down to the wire….

Onside kick….we recover. 45 seconds left in the game and San Diego State still has two timeouts. Too much time left in the game to just run out the clock so Bell’s work isn’t done yet. The offensive line gets one last great push and Bell is free for the first down. They couldn’t stop him even knowing he was coming right at them. We kneel on the ball and walk away with the victory. Feels good to win this game after dropping a lot of close ones this season.

Code:
CSU SDSU First Downs 17 12 Total Offense 331 310 Rushes-Yds-TD 36-166-4 15-6-1 Comp-Att-TD 16-24-0 23-31-2 Passing Yards 165 304 3rd Down Conv 8-13 (61%) 4-9 (44%) 4th Down Conv 0-0 (0%) 0-0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%) 1-1 (100%) Red Zone-TD-FG 5-4-0 (100%) 2-2-0 (100%) Turnovers 1 2 Fumbles Lost 0 0 Intercepted 1 2 Punt Return Yds 14 29 Kick Return Yds 76 106 Total Yards 421 445 Punts-Avg 3-41.3 3-42.7 Penalties-Yards 4-29 2-15 Sacks 2 3 T.O.P. 19:54 12:10 Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 16 of 24 for 165 yards, 0 TD 1 INT HB Kyle Bell - 28 carries for 179 yards, 4 TD. 4 rec for 27 yards. DE Wade Landers - 5 tackles (3 for loss), 1 sack FS Klint Kubiak - 4 tackles (1 for loss), 1 INT DE Curtis Cornelson - 7 tackles (1 for loss) San Diego State Key Performers QB Darren Mougey - 23 of 31 for 304 yards, 2 TD 2 INT HB Tyler Campbell - 12 carries for 21 yards, 1 TD. 7 rec for 85 yards, 1 TD. WR DeMarco Sampson - 6 receptions for 84 yards DT Jonathan Soto - 4 tackles (4 for loss), 2 sacks
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #73
Ironhead
College Prospect

Recruiting Update

We received our second hard commit of the year after the San Diego State game. Zac Parker (6'5" 292 lbs), a 2 star in-state recruit from Cimarron Hills, was in love with the idea of playing center for Colorado State from Day 1. We started #1 on his board and never trailed. He is the 23rd best center available and ranked as the 883rd prospect in the nation. Our current starting center is a second year freshman and should be a mainstay on the line for several years so Parker might have to move to guard at some point.

Code:
40 Time: 5.24 Bench: 420 lbs Squat: 655 lbs OVR IBL RBS RBF PBS PBF SPD STR AWR AGI ACC STA INJ JMP C- B B+ A- B B D- B- A- D- D B- B- D-

Code:
Current Recruiting Board Player POS RANK TOP 3 SCHOOLS VISIT Travis Reynolds 6'3" 190 CB #214 CSU, OKST, UTAH Wk 7 (C) Terrance Thomas 6'0" 227 MLB #394 WISC, CSU, TCU Wk 7 (C) Terrance Samuel* 6'5" 246 TE #368 CSU, OKST, BAMA Wk 9 (B+) Dustin McDaniel 5'10" 173 WR #142 CSU, UCLA, CU Wk 9 (B+) Ryan Baker 6'4" 275 DT #395 CSU, ASU, TEXAS Wk 9 (B+) Joe Charles 6'1" 300 DT #804 CSU, ECU, KU Wk 9 (B+) Javan Smith 6'3" 194 FS #788 CSU, NEV, IDAHO WK 7 (C) Josh Mason 6'6" 242 DE #621 CSU, ASU, UCLA Wk 12 Adam Jacques 5'9" 187 CB #610 UTAH, AF, CSU Wk 12 Elton Pitts 6'5" 311 T #687 CSU, UCLA, ASU Wk 12 Marvin Porter 6'3" 234 MLB #983 BYU, CSU, NEV Wk 12 Brandon Booth 5'11" 166 SS #661 CSU, BAMA, TAMU N/A Chris Walker 6'3" 188 FS #945 HAW, BYU, CSU Wk 12 Ryan Blount 6'2" 206 WR #1005 CSU, MINN, CMU Wk 9 (B) Daniel Rankin 5'9" 209 HB #739 UCLA, CSU, LSU N/A Trent Gatewood 6'3" 198 P #1776 CIN, CSU, ARKST Wk 12 Trent Freeman 5'11" 267 FB #2176 ARIZ, FS, NEV N/A Bryan Carr* 5'11" 168 K #522 CSU, BAMA, FSU N/A Christian Collier 6'3" 267 TE #812 SDSU, BOISE, ASU N/A Brian Lewis 6'8" 227 TE #529 CLEM, SCAR, TENN N/A * Junior College Transfer Blue = Added since last update

The board has really been trimmed since the last update. Most of the recruits that were cut were either being unreasonably stubborn during phone conversions or I just felt I had dropped out of contention for the recruit.

This late into the season what I did with most of the new recruits is comb through local states to find kids that weren't getting much attention from other schools. I am hoping to swoop in on those guys and get far ahead of any other college before the offseason recruiting period cranks up. This will likely turn out to be another smallish class in the 16-20 recruit range.

Award Semifinalists Announced
No love for Bell but Chris Means is getting some attention for The Biletnikoff Award. Inside 'backer Curtis Cornelson has been recognized for his solid play this year and is on the lower end of the list for the Butkus.

Code:
Mountain West Conference Standings TEAM REC CONF PF PA UNLV 7-3 5-1 289 238 TCU 6-4 5-2 313 271 San Diego State 9-3 6-2 390 277 Utah 5-6 5-2 320 353 New Mexico 4-7 4-3 334 362 Colorado State 7-4 3-4 313 284 BYU 3-8 2-6 319 391 Wyoming 4-7 1-6 271 289 Air Force 2-8 1-6 190 305

After a great start to the year we sure have stunk up conference play. Hopefully we can close the book on conference play and the regular season with a strong win over UNLV.

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-26-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #74
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 12 Recap

There is nothing but a sheet of white covering the field as it is 22 degrees with heavy snow falling here in Fort Collins. Hard to believe it but this game marks the end of the regular season for the Rams as there was no bye week in our schedule. Our last batch of recruits are visiting today – I sure hope they don’t mind snow or were screwed. UNLV quarterback Rocky Hinds, who threw 5 picks in last year’s meeting, will miss this game due to injury. Starting in his place is speedy true freshman Billy Fletcher. Our last matchup against a true freshman didn’t go so well – let’s hope this turns out better.

UNLV won the toss and elected to receive. They open the game with a very impressive drive that loses steam inside the 10 yard line. They have to settle for a field goal. 3-0 Rebels. 13 plays, 69 yards. They really had the option working on that drive. I can already tell that senior tailback David Peeples (5’9” 206 lbs) is going to give us fits.

We answer right back with a long drive of our own that is capped of by a 3 yard touchdown run by Bell. 7-3 Rams. 12 plays, 63 yards. Bell just set the school record for rushing touchdowns in a season! That was his 20th of the season. Great opening drive by Stucker as well – he looks very cool (no pun intended) in the pocket and completed 5 of 7 passes for 58 yards on the drive.

Uh oh…Peeples just broke a tackle in the backfield and busted out a 54 yard touchdown run. 10-7 Rebels. 4 plays, 70 yards. Whenever I give up a huge run early I start getting painful flashbacks of last year’s season ender against Wyoming.

A holding penalty on our next drive backs us up into 1st and 20 and we cannot convert . We kick it away – the punt slides in the snow to the 9 yard line.

Son of a gun…quick slant to the wideout and cornerback Jermaine Ruud slips in the snow – I had a heavy blitz on and there was no one there to make the tackle after Ruud slipped. 88 yard touchdown from Fletcher to Renan Saint Preux. 17-7 Rebels. 2 plays, 90 yards.

Stucker just had Means open down the seam for a touchdown but overthrew him. A sack at the 35 yard line ends our drive and puts us in questionable field goal range. With the weather so messy I decide not kick the field goal and punt it away…it will be a touchback.

UNLV is just eating our defense alive. They breeze down the field with a combination of draw plays, option runs and quick passes and score on an 18 yard pass. 24-7 UNLV. 7 plays, 76 yards. This freshman quarterback is killing us – he is 8 of 9 for 162 yards and 2 scores so far.

And the rout looks to soon be on – first play on our next drive is a 15 yard pass to Bell over the middle and he fumbles the ball – recovered by UNLV. Looking at the replay it clearly looks like he is down before he fumbles the ball but there is no review on the play. UNLV takes over at midfield.

Another hard charging drive by UNLV. 1st and 10 from our 15 yard line…Fletcher drops back to pass…quick pass out to the left…it’s picked off by the linebacker Jake Pottorff! Our defense really needed that! 1:38 left in the first half. Maybe we can get some momentum going here to end the half.

Farris in the game for Stucker who got nicked up a little the last drive – not sure if Stucker will come back to play in this game. And Farris gives the ball right back to the defense – picked off by the nickel cornerback. There was heavy pressure from the 4 down linemen and Farris threw the ball into zone coverage. UNLV takes over at the 48 yard line.

33 yard scramble by the freshman quarterback – sorry effort from cornerback DeAngelo Wilkinson to make the tackle. They aren’t going to make it into the endzone this time and have to settle for the field goal…32 yarder is good. 27-7 UNLV. 7 plays, 32 yards. We get sacked on our first play after the kickoff and just let the clock run down to halftime.

We get the ball to start the second half and need to get something going here. Another good drive is rolling along and Farris is making some good throws. The pocket collapses and Farris chucks it up to Chaz Miles in the endzone…picked off at the goal line. That was thrown into double coverage. UNLV takes over on their own 14.

Hey, signs of life from the defense! Cornelson makes a great read on the draw on 2nd down and blows it up 3 yards in the backfield. Next play Rupp sacks Fletcher who fumbles the ball – UNLV recovers at the 3 yard line and has to punt it away. We try to block the punt but no dice – we will take over on UNLV’s 45 yard line after a short return. I think this drive is going to be make or break us as far as getting back into this game.

A dropped pass that would have been good for a 3rd down brings up 4th & 6 from the 28 and I have to go for it. 1st down on a 10 yard gain to Morton. Another interception as Farris tries to hit his receiver in the endzone. Not an impressive showing by the backup quarterback.

3 and out for UNLV as they play the drive a little conservative. On our ensuing drive Morton drops a sure 1st down on an out pattern to close out the 3rd quarter. That’s about it for me folks. I am ready for (hopefully) a bowl game and the 2009 season already. I go ahead and simulate the rest of the game. UNLV takes the win 33-14.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #75
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 13 Recap

Recruiting Update
Great week on the recruiting front as we head into our first week of downtime. Despite a poor showing against UNLV we were able to get a commitment from tight end Terrance Samuel (6'5" 246 lbs). Samuel, a junior college transfer out of Oklahoma, should be able to step right into the starting tight end position next year with Kawulok graduating. Samuel is the 368th ranked prospect in the nation and 17th ranked tight end.

Code:
40 Time: 4.65 OVR CTH CIT RLS RTE RBK PBK ELU TRK CAR Bench: 336 lbs C C+ C C C+ C- D D+ D+ C Squat: 450 lbs SPC SPD STR AWR AGI ACC STA INJ JMP B- B- C- A- C C+ B- B+ B

During this week I also managed to close the deal on two more of my prime targets for the season. Travis Reynolds (6'3" 190 lbs), an in-state recruit and one of only two 4 star prospects we targeted this year, gave us a commitment to play cornerback. With his combination of size and skill Reynolds should be good enough to push DeAngelo Wilkinson for a starting position opposite of Jermaine Ruud next year.

Code:
40 Time: 4.26 OVR TAK POW MCV ZCV PRS PRC PUR BSH CTH Bench: 271 lbs C+ D+ D- C+ B- D- D+ C- D- C- Squat: 435 lbs SPD STR AWR AGI ACC STA INJ JMP A D A B+ B+ B+ B+ B+

The other prospect was a man I desperately needed in the middle of the field. Terrance Thomas (6'0" 227 lbs), an inside linebacker from Texas, will be given a crack at earning the starting job next season as we are thin in the middle. I did not recruit Thomas from the start of the season but started up maybe halfway through the year. I was able to wrestle him away from Houston, TCU and Wisconsin as we graded out very well in his key areas (Coaching Experience, Early Playing Time and Proximity to Home). Thomas is the 394th ranked prospect in the nation and the 13th ranked overall inside linebacker.

Code:
40 Time: 4.56 OVR TAK PMV FMV POW BSH PUR PRC MCV ZCV Bench: 384 lbs C B- C+ D+ C+ C- B- C+ C- C- Squat: 605 lbs SPD STR AWR AGI ACC STA INJ JMP B- C+ A+ B- B B+ B C+

This brings our total number of inseason commitments to 5. With several of our key recruits committed to the program I am going to have some more free time to spend digging for diamonds to fill out the rest of my recruiting board.

Bowl Projection
Right now it looks like we are going to be playing in the New Mexico Bowl. Our projected opponent is likely going to change every week as the final standings sort out but right now we are projected to play Ball State (6-6).

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-26-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #76
Ironhead
College Prospect

Week 14 Recap

Recruiting Update
In the final week of in-season recruiting we had one more commitment. Ryan Baker (6'4", 275 lbs) is a defensive tackle from Fort Hood, Texas. I identified pretty early on that I wanted this guy. I expect that by his junior year in college Baker will be a highly disruptive force on the interior of the defense line. I just need to get a little more weight on him. The only other college that was heavily recruiting Baker was Arizona State. Baker ended up choosing our program based on the fact that he should get gobs of immediate playing time and he also loved the idea of playing for Coach Lubick. Baker is the 395th overall ranked recruit in the nation and the 29th overall ranked defensive tackle.

Code:
40 Time: 4.99 OVR TAK PMV FMV POW BSH PUR PRC SPD STR Bench: 485 lbs C B B C+ B B C+ D+ D+ B+ Squat: 640 lbs AWR AGI ACC STA INJ JMP D D+ C+ C+ B C+

Bowl Projection
Now we are projected to play Nevada, still in the New Mexico Bowl. Quite frankly I don't care who it is as long as we don't get grossly outmatched talent wise like last year against Kansas State.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #77
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Wow. This is a great read! Please keep it up!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #78
Ironhead
College Prospect

Conference Championship Week

2008 HEISMAN WINNER

Glen Coffee's year for comparison: 268 CAR, 1613 YDS, 21 TD, 24 REC, 441 YDS, 6 TD, SEC CHAMPIONSHIP
I think Coffee deserved it more. Then again he is a junior so he might have a chance to win it next year if he stays in college.

2008 CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS
Code:
ACC: Miami (12-1)(9-0)(1st Conference Championship) Big 12: Oklahoma (12-1)(8-1)(5th Conference Championship) Big East: Rutgers (11-1)(6-1)(1st Conference Championship) Big Ten: Penn State (12-0)(8-0)(3rd Conference Championship) C-USA: Tulane (10-3)(8-1)(2nd Conference Championship) MAC: Northern Illinois (10-3)(8-1)(2nd Conference Championship) MWC: UNLV (9-3)(7-1)(1st Conference Championship) Pac-10: USC (12-0)(9-0)(38th Conference Championship) SEC: Alabama (12-1)(8-1)(22nd Conference Championship) Sun Belt: Florida Atlantic (6-6)(5-2)(2nd Conference Championship) WAC: Boise State (11-1)(8-0)(6th Conference Championship)

2008 AWARD RECAP
Code:
Maxwell Award: QB Tim Tebow (JR, Florida - College Player of the Year) Chuck Bednarik Award: LB Spencer Adkins (SR, Miami - Best Defenseman) Davey O'Brien Award: QB Tim Tebow (JR, Florida - Best Quarterback) Doak Walker Award: RB Kahlil Bell (SR, UCLA - Best RB) The Biletnikoff Award: WR Brandon Gibson (SR, Washington State - Best WR) John Mackey Award: TE Greg Salas (SO, Hawaii - Best Tight End) Outland Trophy: RG Ramon Foster (SR, Tennessee - Best OL) Dave Rimington Trophy: C Matt Pipho (JR, Miami - Best C) Lombardi Award: DE Brandon Graham (JR, Michigan - Best DL) Dick Butkus Award: LB Spencer Adkins (SR, Miami - Best Linebacker) Jim Thorpe Award: SS Torri Williams (SR, Purdue - Best DB) Lou Groza Award: K David Buehler (SR, USC - Best Placekicker) Ray Guy Award: P Evan Pope (FR, Oklahoma - Best Punter) Best Returner Award: WR Kenny Britt (JR, Rutgers)

2008 Colorado State Player Recognition:
Code:
MLB Curtis Cornelson 1st Team All-American WR Chris Means 2nd Team All-American, All-American Freshman HB Kyle Bell 1st Team All-MWC RE Tommie Hill 1st Team All-MWC DT Matt Rupp 1st Team All-MWC CB DeAngelo Wilkinson 2nd Team All-MWC FS Klint Kubiak 2nd Team All-MWC SS Jake Galusha 2nd team All-MWC HB Brandon Lee 2nd Team All-MWC (as Returner)

Next Game:
The New Mexico Bowl - Albuquerque, New Mexico (University Stadium at University of New Mexico )
Colorado State Rams (7-5) versus Nevada Wolf Pack (6-6)

We really need to win this game after losing 5 of our last 7 games. Luckily I think we have a good shot to win this game. On offense I am going to just need to keep running it at 'em as they are dinged up on defense and already are a litle soft on the defensive line.

The big question mark in this one is whether the pass defense will show up. For the season Nevada averaged 41 pass attempts per game. A key matchup is going to be true freshman cornerback Jermaine Ruud (5'11" 183 lbs) trying to cover senior wideout Marko Mitchell (6'4" 195 lbs). If Ruud can keep his man in check then it will allow us to do a lot of of different things, such as sending some blitz packages against the offense.

Prediction: Our ground game will check up enough time and put enough points up to keep Nevada from going pass happy. I say we take it 27-20.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #79
Ironhead
College Prospect

Bowl Game Recap

Freezing temperatures for this contest as it is 21 degrees with the sun is shining here in New Mexico.

We win the toss and elect to receive. We start the game with an excellent drive, converting on 3 third downs. On 3rd and 2 from the 9 yard line Stucker has Morton wide open for the score and Morton drops it. It’s 4th down – we have run 12 plays so far on the drive and busted our ass – we need to walk away from this drive with a touchdown. We line up on 4th down ready to hand the ball off to Bell but the defense jumps offside – first down! Next play Stucker dumps a short pass off to Bell in the flat who stiff arms the safety and goes in for the score. 7-0 Rams. 13 plays, 51 yards.

Nevada puts together a solid drive of their own but has to settle for a 30 yard field goal. 7-3 Rams. 10 plays, 42 yards. The backup defensive tackle James Morehead made a good play to get his hand up in the passing lane and bat down the 3rd down pass.

Stucker just got leveled by a lineman as he was trying to escape pressure and coughed up the football. Nevada fell on top of it and has great field position at our 37. Their junior quarterback Nick Graziano is sharp on the ensuing drive and caps it off with a 5 yard touchdown pass to the wideout as he beats Kubiak to the corner of the endzone. 10-7 Wolf Pack. 5 plays, 37 yards.

We answer right back with another long drive of our own. The offense is really focused on 3rd down today – we have converted 6 of 8 attempts so far. On 3rd and goal from the 13 yard line Stucker is able to connect with tight end Chris Kawulok over the middle for a touchdown. It was a bad call by the defense – they brought the blitz and left the middle wide open down by the goal line. 14-10 Rams. 11 plays, 68 yards. I think we tripped the defense up that drive by going to the air after really pounding the ball on the opening drive.

Nevada gets a gift on a phantom pass interference call that keeps their drive going and puts them in scoring range. We have missed a couple of opportunities already to end this drive. We finally manage to keep everything in front of us and Nevada tacks on 3 with a 40 yard field goal. 14-13 Rams. 10 plays, 44 yards. This has been a quick 1st half so far.

Miles drops the ball on 3rd down to end our drive. The receivers sure seemed to do a better job holding onto passes the first half of the season. We punt it away and it goes out at the 1! Only 55 seconds left in the 1st half – lets see if we can force a mistake down by the goal line. Nope, they are careful with the ball and the clock winds down to halftime.

Nevada will get the ball to start the 2nd half. DeAngelo Wilkinson almost picks off the opening pass of the 2nd half but no dice – would have been an impressive pick but he did manage to get his hands on it. We don’t touch too many more passes as Nevada moves the ball up to our 8 yard line with a sharp passing attack. They take three straight cracks and can’t get the TD. We are fortunate as DeAngelo Wilkinson was beaten in the endzone on 3rd down but the pass too hot for the wideout to handle. The 24 yard field goal is good. 16-14 Nevada. 11 plays, 55 yards.

I didn’t expect Nevada’s run defense to be so tough – we have had trouble moving the ball on the ground after the opening drive. We go backwards after a sack and a stuffed run and have to punt it away.

Kubiak with a pick on their first pass attempt! Kubiak has played well and has been all over the secondary today. We take over at midfield. I am going to try spreading the offense out this drive. We have some success but once again pass protection is an issue – a defense tackle comes straight up the middle and nails Stucker. Chamorro is going to come out and try the 48 yard field goal – he was very shaky near the end of the season…way wide right. What the hell is wrong with this kid.

Nevada is doing a good job of mixing up their offense on this drive and I can’t key in on what they are doing. 3rd and 14 and we have some momentum on defense…pass interference on the nickel corner. Huge stand by our defense down on the goal line forces Nevada to take the field goal. Cornelson was right in the thick of things as usual. 21 yard field goal is good. 19-14 Nevada. 14 plays, 50 yards.

…………Means comes wide open down the middle of the field but Stucker gets sacked before he can get the ball off. That was as gimme of a touchdown as I have seen all year. The line really needs to step it up in pass protection. Means is matched up 1 on 1 deep again…and Stucker gets it to him this time! Excellent job there by Means to hold onto the ball and we will have the ball on the 1 yard line. And Bell takes it in! We are going to go for the 2 point conversion…Bell runs it in untouched off of left tackle. 22-19 Rams. 10 plays, 66 yards. 5 minutes left in the game.

Son of a….in no time flat they get back on top with a 45 yard touchdown run by the tailback Luke Lippincott. Lippincott has had a solid day so far but he really just busted that one. 26-22 Nevada. 3 plays, 71 yards. Sometimes this defense makes me want to pull my hair out.

We get the ball up to the their 33 yard line on some consistent running by Bell. Stucker to hand off…no, play action…he tries to hit the tight end and it’s picked off by the linebacker. Gee…that linebacker seemed to have eyes in the back of his head there as he broke off of covering the fullback to make the pick. Funny that he even knew the pass was thrown…

2 minutes left and we have all of our timeouts. First play is a 9 ½ yard run right up the gut – we had 8 men in the box. Stretch play…tailback shoves the corner to the ground, breaks out of the defensive end’s tackle, runs past the safety as is gone for a touchdown. 54 yard run. 33-22 Wolf Pack. 3 plays, 63 yards.

We fail to convert a 4th and 1 on our 37 yard line when Bell gets pulled down 3 yards in the backfield. Where was the blocking fellas….that will do it. Hard to believe this is the same team that at one point in the year was ranked #24 in the nation.

Code:
CSU NEV First Downs 15 18 Total Offense 248 391 Rushes-Yds-TD 30-51-2 32-239-2 Comp-Att-TD 17-25-1 14-26-1 Passing Yards 197 152 3rd Down Conv 8-14 (57%) 3-8 (37%) 4th Down Conv 0-1 (0%) 0-0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 1-1 (0%) 0-0 (100%) Red Zone-TD-FG 3-3-0 (100%) 4-1-3 (100%) Turnovers 2 1 Fumbles Lost 1 0 Intercepted 1 1 Punt Return Yds 0 20 Kick Return Yds 170 93 Total Yards 418 504 Punts-Avg 2-51.0 0-0.0 Penalties-Yards 2-15 5-45 Sacks 0 6 T.O.P. 18:28 13:36 Colorado State Key Performers QB Grant Stucker - 17 of 25 for 197 yards, 1 TD 1 INT, 1 fumble HB Kyle Bell - 26 carries for 73 yards, 2 TD WR Chaz Miles - 5 receptions for 54 yards FS Klint Kubiak - 8 tackles (1 for loss), 1 INT, 3 passes defensed LB Curtis Cornelson - 6 tackles (1 for loss) Nevada Key Performers QB Nick Graziano - 14 of 26 for 152 yards, 1 TD 1 INT HB Luke Lippincott - 26 carries for 240 yards, 2 TD WR Marko Mitchell - 5 receptions for 68 yards DE Chris Slack - 6 tackles (3 for loss), 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble DT Nate Agaiava - 5 tackles (3 for loss), 2 sacks LB Deantae Green - 5 tackles (2 for loss), 2 sacks LB Joshua Mauga - 9 tackles (1 for loss), 1 pass defensed

Code:
Season in Review Week 01: Colorado W 30-17 Week 02: at Army W 28-16 Week 03: at UTEP W 31-24 Week 04: #19 Oklahoma State W 38-34 Week 05: at Air Force W 24-20 Week 06: at Utah L 21-23 Week 07: BYU L 34-36 Week 08: at Wyoming L 27-35 Week 09: New Mexico W 31-26 Week 10: TCU L 21-28 Week 11: at San Diego State W 28-25 Week 12: UNLV L 14-33 Week 13: - Week 14: - New Mexico Bowl: vs Nevada L 22-33 Final Record: 7-6 (3-5, 6th in MWC) 2007 Record: 7-6 (5-3, 2nd in MWC) 2006 Record: 4-8 (1-7, 8th in MWC) 2005 Record: 6-6 (5-3, 3rd in MWC) 2004 Record: 4-7 (3-4, 6th in MWC) Passing Stats QB Grant Stucker 192 of 299 (64%), 2518 yards, 18 td, 20 int, 50 sacks QB Billy Farris 15 of 28 (53%), 215 yards, 1 td, 3 int, 4 sacks Rushing Stats RB Kyle Bell 307 att for 1275 yards (4.1 avg), 22 TD, 4 fumbles RB Brandon Lee 36 att for 137 yards (3.8 avg), 0 TD, 2 fumbles QB Grant Stucker 32 att for 134 yards (4.1 avg), 1 TD, 2 fumbles FB Kyle VanHorn 15 att for 54 yards (3.6 avg), 0 TD, 0 fumbles Receiving Stats WR Chris Means 49 rec for 997 yards, 12 TD, 5 drops TE Chris Kawulok 36 rec for 435 yards, 2 TD, 0 drops HB Kyle Bell 36 rec for 245 yards, 1 TD, 1 drop WR Dion Morton 22 rec for 226 yards, 0 TD, 4 drops WR Chaz Miles 21 rec for 305 yards, 3 TD, 4 drops WR Rasahun Greer 11 rec for 208 yards, 1 TD, 1 drop TE Kevin McPeek 11 rec for 146 yards, 0 TD, 2 drops FB Kyle VanHorn 9 rec for 62 yards, 0 TD, 0 drops HB Brandon Lee 8 rec for 82 yards, 0 TD, 0 drops Offensive Line RT Dane Stratton 13 pancakes, 6 sacks allowed RG Guy Miller 9 pancakes, 11 sacks allowed LG Shelley Smith 9 pancakes, 7 sacks allowed C Tyler McDermott 9 pancakes, 7 sacks allowed LT Brian Lepak 1 pancake , 7 sacks allowed Defense MLB Curtis Cornelson 112 tackles, 26 tfl, 2 sacks, 4 INT, 3 defl, 2 FF, 2 TD FS Klint Kubiak 99 tackles, 4 tfl, 0 sacks, 4 INT, 4 defl RE Tommie Hill 66 tackles, 20 tfl, 7 sacks, 0 INT, 1 defl CB Chase Brooks 61 tackles, 1 tfl, 0 sacks, 1 INT, 1 defl OLB Jake Pottorff 55 tackles, 11 tfl, 1 sack , 2 INT, 1 defl, 1 FF CB DeAngelo Wilkinson 55 tackles, 3 tfl, 0 sacks, 4 INT, 6 defl, 0 FF, 1 TD SS Jake Galusha 54 tackles, 3 tfl, 0 sacks, 3 INT, 0 defl LE Wade Landers 44 tackles, 15 tfl, 6 sacks, 0 INT, 0 defl, 1 FF, 1 TD DT Matt Rupp 44 tackles, 15 tfl, 6 sacks, 0 INT, 0 defl, 1 FF, CB Jermaine Ruud 42 tackles, 2 tfl, 0 sacks, 2 INT, 6 defl, 0 FF, 1 TD CB Elijah Blu Smith 30 tackles, 0 tfl, 0 sacks, 0 INT, 0 defl OLB Sedric Patterson 29 tackles, 4 tfl, 0 sacks, 1 INT, 1 defl DT Devin McWilliams 28 tackles, 5 tfl, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 0 defl, 1 FF SS Mike Pagnotta 26 tackles, 1 tfl, 0 sacks, 0 INT, 1 defl CB Junior Williams 16 tackles, 1 tfl, 0 sacks, 2 INT, 2 defl, 0 FF, 1 TD Kicking PK Durrell Chamorro 4 of 9 (44%) FGs, 45 of 46 XPs. Long of 51 yards P Jason Smith 49 punts for 2006 yards (40.9 avg, 30.7 net) Kick Returns HB Brandon Lee 49 KR for 1154 yards (23.5 avg), 0 TD, long of 55 yards HB Alex Square 20 KR for 436 yards (21.8 avg), 0 TD, long of 32 yards Punt Returns HB Brandon Lee 27 PR for 339 yards (12.5 avg), 0 TD, long of 36 yards

Up Next:
The Real Fun Begins - Graduation, Recruiting and 2009 Schedule

Old 09-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #80
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Good grief, how long does it take you to update all the stats?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #81
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Good grief, how long does it take you to update all the stats?

It's actually not that bad as I am a pretty fast typer.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #82
Ironhead
College Prospect

Offseason Recap

Team Records
Kyle Bell set the school record for rushing touchdowns in a season with 22. Chris Means also set a school record with 12 receiving touchdowns.

Contract Status
Despite floundering during the second half of the season and losing our bowl game the university has decided to offer me a 3 year contract extension.

I guess those wins against Colorado and Oklahoma State are carrying a lot of weight with them. I go ahead and accept the extension – I want to see this through.

Team Prestige
After the season our team prestige has increased back up to 3 stars. Doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense to me as we had almost an exact duplicate of last season which caused us to drop prestige. Hey, I’ll take it.

Colorado State Players Declaring Early for the Draft
None

Graduating Players
HB Kyle Bell (90 OVR – Starter)
RE Tommie Hill (90 OVR – Starter)
DT Matt Rupp (89 OVR – Starter)
FB Kyle VanHorn (88 OVR – Starter)
FS Klint Kubiak (85 OVR – Starter)
TE Chris Kawulok (85 OVR – Starter)
RT Dane Stratton (83 OVR – Starter)
HB Gartrell Johnson (83 OVR)
TE Kevin McPeek (82 OVR)
LE Wade Landers (81 OVR – Starter)
MLB Curtis Cornelson (79 OVR – Starter)
QB Billy Farris (79 OVR)
HB Michael Myers (79 OVR)
SS Mike Pagnotta (77 OVR)
SS Jake Galusha (74 OVR – Starter)
DT Devin McWilliams (74 OVR – Starter)
P Jason Smith (57 OVR – Starter)

Well, looks like I have a team full of freshman and sophomores at this point.

Transfers
True freshman tailback Brandon Lee feels I broke my promise to give him solid playing time first year on campus and is transferring to UCLA. I am not going to try and stop him – he will probably turn out to be a solid player but I don’t think he is what I am looking for out of a running back. He doesn’t have the power to run through tacklers or the moves to get around them.

Awesome, looks like we are going to be getting some charity this year. Outside linebacker Chip Gregory (6’4” 209 lbs) is a third year sophomore that wants to transfer from Arkansas. He isn’t as big as I would like but he is very quick and well rounded.

Another outside linebacker, second year freshman Blake Lawrence (6’2” 204 lbs), wants to transfer to Colorado State from Nebraska. Again, much smaller than I would like but more talented than most of my linebackers. I accept both of their transfer requests.

Offseason Recruiting
Pipelines: Colorado, California, Utah

Going into offseason recruiting we have already picked up 6 commitments and 2 transfers. We have 17 scholarships left to offer and 27 recruits on our board. Our immediate needs for next season are at tailback, defensive tackle, and safety. Looking further out I want to start reforming our offensive line to be more geared towards pass protection, starting with the guards because most pressure seems to come straight up the middle. I doubt any changes will occur on my offensive line recruiting until next year though.

Week 2
Yeah baby, we close the deal on 5 recruits that I pursued all year long, the most important being 4 star wideout Dustin McDaniel. If McDaniel is anything like Chris Means, another 4-star kid from Colorado, then our passing offense could be really good this upcoming season. I was able to close the deal on FS Javan Smith, CB Adam Jacques and MLB Marvin Porter by making visits to their states. All three graded our visit out at A+. I seem to have done a good job targeting solid prospects (at least on paper) that offer limited competition because we have yet to lose any prospect to another school.

Week 3
Uh oh…I just realized, probably a little too late, that the tailback I have been recruiting probably isn’t nearly as good as I though. I doubt he is going to have enough power to break out of too many tackles and isn’t fast enough to rely purely on his speed. I scramble to try and get some other guys on the board that might be able to do the job but it will be near impossible this late in recruiting. I always have Alex Square, the backup running back from 2008, as my fallback starter but he is much smaller than I would like. We pick up commitments from in-state tackle Elton Pitts and California product Chris Walker at free safety. I finally lost out on a prospect – the punter I was after signed with Cincinnati. As long as we sign the kicker we are after then I will just move Chamorro to punter after his terrible season last year.

Week 4
We received two more commitments, the first from kicker Bryan Carr and the second from safety Brandon Booth. Booth is interesting because he looks to just have a great nose for the ball at safety but he is undersized. I think he will get a shot to start as a true freshman. We have 8 more scholarships and 10 recruits left on our board, but several of those are tailbacks that we probably will not sign.

Week 5
I receive on more commitment, this one from defensive end Josh Mason from Utah. 7 scholarships remaining, 11 recruits left on the board and 6 of those are tailbacks.

End of Recruiting
I sign 5 more prospects at the end, two of which are tailbacks. I have made promises not to redshirt 4 players (K Bryan Carr, FS Jake Monroe, HB Daniel Rankin, HB Jon Smith) and it should be really easy to keep these promises.

Top Classes
1. USC
2. Miami
3. Florida
4. Alabama
5. Tennessee
6. Michigan
7. Florida State
8. Oklahoma
9. Texas A&M
10. Penn State
11. Texas
12. Oklahoma State
13. LSU
14. Cal
15. Notre Dame
25. San Diego State
27. Colorado State
36. TCU
66. Air Force
69. Utah
76. BYU
79. UNLV
84. Wyoming
102. New Mexico

Roster Moves
I go ahead and move Chamorro to punter as junior college transfer Bryan Carr has a more accurate leg. I move several players around on the offensive line to try and get our best blend of size, strength and pass blocking skills. No other major changes. After running last year’s left tackle, Brian Lepak, through some drills we found out the big man could catch the ball a little. We weren’t really pleased with his performance last year as he doesn’t seem to have the oomph needed to really move guys around on defensive line. I have already determined that he will be losing his starting position to big Will Bradley. Since we are short a man there anyway I decide to move Lepak to tight end where he should be an excellent blocker in double tight end sets.

2009 Schedule from the AD
Aside from the Colorado game the athletic director has scheduled the following out of conference opponents: USC, Cal and Louisville. What a schmuck. I will accept Cal and Louisville on my schedule but my juevos aren’t large enough to take on USC considering that I essentially have a team full of sophomore and freshman starters. I replace USC with a Texas A&M team that has had two killer recruiting years in a row and opens the season as the 18th ranked team.

Strength of Schedule: B

Week 01: vs Colorado (Neutral Location: Invesco Mile High Stadium)
Week 02: #18 Texas A&M
Week 03: -
Week 04: at Cal
Week 05: Air Force
Week 06: Utah
Week 07: at BYU
Week 08: Wyoming
Week 09: at New Mexico
Week 10: at TCU
Week 11: San Diego State
Week 12: at UNLV
Week 13: -
Week 14: #19 Louisville

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-30-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #83
Ironhead
College Prospect

2009 Roster

2009 Roster

Starters in bold
Redshirting players highlighted in red

Code:
# Pos Name HGT WGHT YR OVR 18 QB Grant Stucker 6'2" 203 SR* 80 9 QB T.J. Borkcy 6'4" 186 SO* 74 11 QB Matt Douglas 6'0" 190 FR 73 7 QB Rodney Wright 6'4" 183 FR* 70 ----------------------------------------------------------------- 20 HB Alex Square 5'9" 173 SR* 83 [IP] 24 HB Jeremy Parker 6'1" 210 FR* 78 6 HB Jon Smith 5'9" 183 FR 73 27 HB Daniel Rankin 5'9" 209 FR 68 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 25 FB Aaron Neal 6'2" 248 SO 77 23 FB Trent Freeman 5'11" 267 FR 56 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 31 WR Dion Morton 5'10" 166 JR* 80 84 WR Rashaun Greer 6'1" 202 SR* 77 17 WR Chris Means 6'5" 216 SO 76 86 WR Chaz Miles 6'2" 199 SR* 75 80 WR Dustin McDaniel 5'10" 173 FR 73 81 WR David West 5'11" 171 SO 67 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 52 TE Brian Lepak 6'5" 304 JR* 83 88 TE Terrance Samuel 6'5" 246 JR 76 47 TE Justin Torres 6'4" 234 SO 67 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 69 LT Will Bradley 6'6" 333 SO 76 60 LT Adrian Martinez 6'4" 304 SR* 76 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 76 LG Brian Ford 6'1" 289 FR* 78 72 LG Jimmy Murphy 6'3" 242 JR* 74 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 54 C Tyler McDermott 6'2" 282 SO* 79 57 C Tim Walter 6'6" 281 SR* 78 67 C Zac Parker 6'5" 292 FR 66 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 55 RG Scott Benedict 6'4" 297 SR* 79 [CAPTAIN] 66 RG Guy Miller 6'3" 291 JR* 78 74 RG Shelley Smith 6'4" 286 SR* 78 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 53 RT Cole Pemberton 6'7" 320 SR* 80 73 RT Elton Pitts 6'5" 311 FR 68 78 RT Charles Moore 6'8" 295 FR 57 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 99 LE Eric Peitz 6'6" 259 SO* 77 94 LE Leo Davis 6'4" 250 SO* 71 92 LE Marcus Davis 6'3" 301 FR 69 93 LE Josh Mason 6'6" 242 FR 69 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 62 DT James Morehead 6'6" 315 SR* 75 96 DT Ryan Baker 6'4" 275 FR 73 91 DT Joe Charles 6'1" 300 FR 72 95 DT Matt Mueller 6'4" 271 FR* 64 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 98 RE Eugene Daniels 6'3" 248 SO* 77 90 RE Robert Ross 6'5" 300 SO 73 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 51 LOLB Chip Gregory 6'4" 212 JR* 84 [TRANSFER] 34 LOLB Sedric Patterson 6'1" 236 SR* 83 [IP] 56 LOLB Ricky Brewer 6'2" 220 JR* 74 50 LOLB Michael Kawulok 6'2" 211 SO* 61 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 33 MLB Terrance Thomas 6'0" 227 FR 75 97 MLB Marvin Porter 6'3" 234 FR 69 43 MLB Matt Hendrick 6'2" 239 SR* 68 48 MLB John Clark 6'3" 231 SR* 59 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 58 ROLB Blake Lawrence 6'2" 207 SO* 82 [TRANSFER] 42 ROLB Jake Pottorff 6'4" 250 SR* 79 46 ROLB Luke Diehl 6'2" 212 SO* 78 35 ROLB Stephen Arnold 6'5" 214 FR* 70 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 3 CB Jermaine Ruud 5'11" 184 SO 83 41 CB DeAngelo Wilkinson 5'10" 182 JR* 79 [CAPTAIN] 22 CB Travis Reynolds 6'3" 190 FR 77 8 CB Adam Jacques 5'9" 187 FR 71 32 CB Chase Brooks 5'9" 160 SO 70 30 CB Elijah Blu Smith 5'11" 192 SO* 64 40 CB Junior Williams 6'0" 173 SO 63 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 38 FS Jake Monroe 6'3" 220 FR 75 44 FS Chris Walker 6'3" 188 FR 70 45 FS Javan Smith 6'3" 194 FR 69 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 2 SS Brandon Booth 5'11" 166 FR 72 28 SS Zach Donaldson 6'1" 197 SO* 71 36 SS Jarrad McKay 6'0" 187 JR 69 26 SS Mychal Sisson 5'10" 197 SO* 67 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 39 K Bryan Carr 5'11" 168 JR 71 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 4 P Durrell Chamorro 6'1" 198 SR* 75
Old 09-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #84
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Looks like a strong group coming in. Good luck this season.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #85
Ironhead
College Prospect

In-Season Recruiting Gears Up
My school is ranked pretty much the same as last year. By signing a long contract extension our Program Stability has increased to Very Good. Our Television Exposure has decreased to Sub Par.

Through my recruiting efforts last year I have been able to add Texas as a pipeline state. That brings our total up to 4 states: Colorado, California, Texas and Utah.

The pool of recruits in Colorado seems to be smaller than the prior 2 years. All that matters though, is one recruit:

This kid is just about my idea recruit at running back. Perfect size, good speed, excellent upper and lower body strength. He can also catch the ball to boot. His opening top 3 schools are Colorado, Ohio State and Texas A&M. I am listed as #10. This kid will be #1 on my board until we either sign him or lose him.

We also have a big time wideout out of California very interested in our school. I am not sure what it is but wideouts seem attracted like magnets to our university.

Looking past him I am at a little bit of a loss how to pursue this year. Because I was losing so many starters and seniors the first two years it was pretty clear what I needed to do: simply get replacement starters. I need to be careful that the narrow focus I have uses to obtain recruiting success the prior two years does not get lost this season. There are even fewer decent recruits interested in our program out of the gate this year. I attribute that to us not being able to offer immediate playing time like the prior 2 years.

Code:
Current Recruiting Board Player POS RANK TOP 3 SCHOOLS VISIT Ryan McGuire 5'10" 200 HB #28 CU, BUCKS, TAMU N/A Ryan Irvin 6'2" 232 QB #275 USC, UCLA, PSU N/A Darius Herron 6'4" 198 WR #42 CAL, CSU, UCLA N/A Darius McDuffie 6'5" 304 G #454 CU, NEB, CSU N/A Ron Thomas 6'0" 181 CB #297 MIZ, OKST, CSU N/A Steven Spicer 6'6" 277 T #183 MICH, CU, IOWA N/A Mike Powers 6'1" 308 G #256 FSU, TAMU, OU N/A Dan Fox 6'3" 372 G #347 UCLA, BUCKS, BOISE N/A Dan Tyler 6'2" 240 ATH(HB) #124 UCLA, CAL, PSU N/A Mark Crowell 5'10" 248 FB #515 MIZ, ISU, NU N/A Dion Logan 6'2" 245 MLB #662 FSU, TEXAS, UF N/A Andy Williams 6'6" 275 DE #150 MIA, UF, PITT N/A Chris Stewart 6'3" 241 TE #259 USC, SDSU, UCLA N/A Austin Jones 6'1" 204 OLB #951 TUL, MISS ST, UCF N/A Greg Malone 6'4" 257 TE #217 TAMU, TCU, OKST N/A Charles Jones 6'2" 215 SS #481 UCLA, USC, CAL N/A Heath Edwards 6'3" 240 DE #257 TAMU, TTU, FSU N/A James Farris 6'5" 277 C #439 TERPS, BUCKS, UCLA N/A

Preseason Recognition
WR Chris Means - 2nd Team All American
OLB Jake Pottorff - 2nd Team All-MWC
CB DeAngelo Wilkinson - 2nd Team All-MWC

Preseason Top 25
01. USC
02. Texas
03. Penn State
04. Florida State
05. Miami
06. Oklahoma
07. Clemson
08. Iowa
09. Tennessee
10. Alabama
11. Michigan
12. Wisconsin
13. Oklahoma State
14. LSU
15. Rutgers
16. Florida
17. West Virginia
18. Texas A&M
19. Louisville
20. Ohio State
21. UCLA
22. Notre Dame
23. Missouri
24. Ole Miss
25. Arkansas

Code:
MWC Conference Outlook OVR OFF DEF SPT 31. UNLV B B C B- 39. San Diego State B- B C+ B- 40. TCU B- B- C+ B- 63. Utah C+ C C C+ 72. Colorado State B- B- C B 92. Wyoming C+ B- C- C+ 95. New Mexico C+ C+ C B 111. BYU B- B- C B 115. Air Force C- C- D+ B-

Last edited by Ironhead : 09-30-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #86
Ironhead
College Prospect

After being quite irritated by several bugs with the depth chart in the game and taking a week to beat Marvel: Ultimate Alliance I am ready to get this cranked up again. Wideout Damon Morton, a starter from last year and my highest rated wideout, will not see the field this year due to some bugs with the depth chart. I am just going to roll with it and chalk it up to something outside the game like ending up in the coach's doghouse.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #87
BYU 14
Coordinator

Great job landing McGuire, it will be fun to see how he develops over his career, should be able to help right away.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote