Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What's the longest line you've waited in?
Line? What's a line? 3 5.17%
30 minutes 9 15.52%
1 or 2 hours 28 48.28%
Half a day 12 20.69%
Overnight 5 8.62%
I saw multiple sunsets and/or sunrises 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2003, 02:48 PM   #1
Craptacular
College Starter

Longest line you've ever waited in

After reading the Harry Potter vs. Monk thread, I'm curious as to just how crazy some of you are. How long of a line have you waited in for anything? I'm not talking about being stuck in traffic on the highway. Rather, what have you been willing to put up with to get that new book or video game, see the first showing of that movie, ride that new coaster, get those tickets to the concert or game, or get into that club?

Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

Remember to mention what it is you waited in line for.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:53 PM   #3
bryce
High School Varsity

most of a day for the RIGHT to even DRAW for texas-ou tickets. mind you, standing in line this long did not guarantee tickets - it was simply to get a wristband that would later be used for the lottery process to draw for tickets.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
Craptacular
College Starter

Honestly, I think the longest lines I've waited in were an hour to 90 minutes or so for some rides at Six Flags. I will not go to a theater more than 30 minutes before a movie, or stand in a long line for concert tickets, etc.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:56 PM   #5
Easy Mac

The bathroom when Titanic the movie started, I think all the guys had to vomit. We almost waited as long as the movie.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Half a day for summer school registration one time.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:58 PM   #7
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Half a day. A COLD day. Tickets to see Page and Plant's first tour.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 02:59 PM   #8
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

At RPI, fraternities would wait in line about a month to purchase hockey tickets for the upcoming year. They would have portable tv's, sleeping bags, etc... Of course, they would rotate people in and out, so it wasn't the same person standing in the same line, but I think a month is pretty impressive amount of time to be in line.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:00 PM   #9
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
Half a day. A COLD day. Tickets to see Page and Plant's first tour.

ooh, i was at one those shows. '95, right? greatness. lucky for me, though, a buddy of mine won tix, so no waiting in lines for that one.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

I hate lines. I avoid them liek the plague
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #11
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Yes, 95. As a big Zep fan who was too young to ever see the real thing, this was a close as I got. It was a great show, but I enjoyed the next tour better, a bit more stripped down and louder.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:10 PM   #12
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

At Disneyland when I was a kid. There were several lines that we waited over an hour for. I found the secret though. My cousin is in a wheel chair, and she and who ever she was with was allowed to go right to the front of any line
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:15 PM   #13
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Never, ever waited in a long line. I do not have the patience for doing that. Whether it's a ride at DL or tickets to something or whatever, if I have to wait more than 1 hour, I leave or do something else. Nothing is ever that important to be wasting that much time in a line. This has left me unable to experience any of the mega-coasters or first showing of a movie, but I get over it real fast.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:16 PM   #14
scooper
College Benchwarmer

What a grumpy old man.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:18 PM   #15
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Now don't you start in on that.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #16
Radii
Head Coach

about 4 hours to get tickets to wake forest at Ga Tech basketball in 95/96, the winner of that game would win the ACC regular season title, Marbury vs Duncan. Tech won by 1 IIRC, Rusty Larue hit a putback about 1/2 second after time expired. Definitely worth the wait, and really if I could pose as a duke student I'd love to camp out for Duke/UNC tickets sometime.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:33 PM   #17
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Definitely worth the wait, and really if I could pose as a duke student I'd love to camp out for Duke/UNC tickets sometime.

Never had to. I remember the day or night before a football or a basketball game, someone who go over and pick up our block of tickets (that are given to each grad school department) and throw them on the table. Only about half gets used so it was funny to people desparately willing to pay anything that we view as throwaways. I imagine now though that they are more controlled.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:38 PM   #18
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I burned the total time wasted out of my head, but the worst was back my freshman year @ Univ of Colorado, waiting to get my parking permit.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:42 PM   #19
henry296
College Starter

Waited in line for a weekend to buy Penn Basketball tickets. Ended up in the 2nd row. I didn't have to be there the whole time until the last night as they only required 1 person in your group of 4 to be there at all times.

Todd
Old 06-20-2003, 03:43 PM   #20
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

1. I once waited 1am-12noon for Bjork tickets at the Hammerstein Ballroom about 4 years ago.

2. Many 6am-12noon waits for entry to the NFL draft at the Madison Square Garden Theatre.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 04:24 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

I find that all you have to do is wait for the "next" mega-coaster to be built at a park, and the other ones shorten up real quick.

Me and my gf (at the time) went to Great Aventure one day. We went on all the coasters except Nitro since Nitro had the long ass line cause it was the "new" one. Just think what we might have missed out on if we decided to wait that 1 hour + to ride it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #22
tucker342
Pro Starter

2-3 hours for The Empire Strikes Back on opening night a couple of years ago... pathetic I know...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:31 PM   #23
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
Me and my gf (at the time) went to Great Aventure one day. We went on all the coasters except Nitro since Nitro had the long ass line cause it was the "new" one.

I hear that...I waited 3 hours to get on Nitro the year it opened, ugh. I'm sure that Superman: Ultimate Flight is probably the same way now.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:40 PM   #24
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Terps
I hear that...I waited 3 hours to get on Nitro the year it opened, ugh. I'm sure that Superman: Ultimate Flight is probably the same way now.

I'd rather ride Great American Scream Machine or Rolling Thunder 50 times instead.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 02:57 AM   #25
Hawaii Warrior
n00b

23 hours. I slept in the police station in line to get my driver's license before they changed the law.

"The only way I will come back to the NFL is if the Lions hire June Jones as Head Coach..." -Barry Sanders

"When he threw the ball 38 straight times the other day, I said, 'That kid is my son,' " Mouse Davis said of June Jones.
Hawaii Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 09:07 AM   #26
davidlando1
Mascot

As a child, my mom and I waited about 4 hours to get on "The Eagle" rollercoaster at Great America north of Chicago. That's the longest line I can remember waiting in.
davidlando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 09:37 AM   #27
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

At RPI, fraternities would wait in line about a month to purchase hockey tickets for the upcoming year. They would have portable tv's, sleeping bags, etc... Of course, they would rotate people in and out, so it wasn't the same person standing in the same line, but I think a month is pretty impressive amount of time to be in line.

Word. (It's stopped now, and I never did it (I never went there), but always drove by it.)
Old 06-21-2003, 10:59 PM   #28
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RPI-Fan
Word. (It's stopped now, and I never did it (I never went there), but always drove by it.)
I'm trying to figure out a way to diagram that last sentence. It's making my head hurt.

Let's see, I waited in line for four hours to a high school basketball. It was a rematch of a rather ugly cross-town rivalry. In the first game at their place, some questionable calls got our fans riled up. When both parents and students began taking part in a somewhat off-color chant, the refs went to the off-duty Barney Fifes and ordered our fans out of the gym, otherwise they would call a forfeit. Needless to say, we packed the rafters for the rematch, we involved an incident in which I was yelling at a ref about a call and didn't realized I had actually walked on to the court. Luckily my friends pulled me back or I probably would have gotten a beat down from the rent-a-cops.

Waited in line for slightly less time at the Ed Sullivan Theater to see Letterman. Got the best seat in the house and got on TV, so you can't beat that.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:31 PM   #29
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG

Now that's hardcore
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 02:38 AM   #30
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Wow, Some of you are dedicated. I waited in line for 3 hours so I could get the front seat on a new roller coaster at Cedar Point. I hated the wait, and I wouldnt wait longer than that for a free pass straight into heaven.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 07:16 AM   #31
Blackadar
Retired

I've camped out overnight twice:

Once for campus parking and once for The Who tickets.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 03:10 PM   #32
thealmighty
Pro Starter

I waited in line for about 2 hours to get tickets to enter Reunion Arena for the Dallas Stars Stanley Cup victory party which followed the parade in '99
Old 06-23-2003, 12:52 PM   #33
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

2 hours for the Georgia Scorcher at Six Flags over Georgia last week. I normally wouldn't have waited, but my Speech kids really wanted to go.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com

Last edited by AZSpeechCoach : 06-23-2003 at 12:53 PM.
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:53 PM   #34
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I waited in line about 5 hours at Walmart to get my X-box. Wish I had purchased Halo instead of NFL Fever at launch though.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 02:13 PM   #35
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
1. I once waited 1am-12noon for Bjork tickets at the Hammerstein Ballroom about 4 years ago.

Now there's something to wait in line for. How was that? Bjork almost scared me off with the video for Pagan Poetry (If you haven't seen it, seek it out), but even that can't squelch my love for Homogenic and many of her other projects.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:18 PM   #36
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

3 nights, 1983-84. ASU football student season tickets used to be a ridiculously hard thing thing to get. There were only 8500 allocated for a school that then had a student body of 40,000 (it now has almost 50K). Nowadays, they do it with a lottery system, but back then, it was first come first serve, so you'd often have the frats start camping people out 3 or 4 days before they went on sale to get huge blocks.

I wasn't in a frat, but I used to go with friends, so we camped out and traded off standing in line in shifts.

Fortunately, they did away with the "stand in front of Sun Devil Stadium for a week." system in '85 and went to a drawing system, which was a lot fairer and easier for everybody (though it probably pissed off the fraternities I'd imagine).
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 02:44 PM   #37
Syrinx
H.S. Freshman Team

Overnight twice:

Once for front row Guns and Roses’ tickets on the Use Your Illusion Tour.

And once for Saturday Night Live tickets the same year.
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:30 PM   #38
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Gee Gawd, when I was at ASU (94-98), I used to be able to buy student season tickets with no problem. Of course we sucked then

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:44 PM   #39
Airhog
Captain Obvious

My gf forced me to wait in line for 5 hours to get her copy of Harry Potter. What makes it even worse is she hasnt even picked the damn book up yet!

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:38 PM   #40
JeeberD
General Manager

Went to Six Flags today and the longest I waited was 30-45 minutes. I love going early in the morning on a Monday...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote