Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I hate windows XP

i absolutely hate this f***in' OS. It seems to me, worse than 2000, as I have many problems I've never had before. I'm also certain it's the single reason I can't enjoy FOF4 - it takes me about 4 minutes to sim ONE WEEK on XP.

anyway, I have a question here in all this anger:

Can anyone tell me where I can find the control panels/settings needed to make XP look/function as closely to 2000 as possible? As far as the appearance of folders, menus, etc...

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:42 PM   #2
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I really have no serious pobs with Win XP . Except that I cant play most of my old games .....makes me mad .
Old 06-25-2003, 10:42 PM   #3
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

One word: Classic (as in XP style)
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
korme
Go Reds

it loves you, though
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:46 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

cthomer, you are the sneakiest poster ever. 4200 freakin' posts, never woulda guessed you've already had that many.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:09 AM   #6
cincyreds
High School Varsity

...and the FOFC Sniekiest Poster Award goes too....(drum roll)

Ah, The Golden Scribe Awards.

'cthomer'

(lots of loud clapping, a standing O even)
Old 06-26-2003, 06:30 AM   #7
Simms
FOBL Commish

Re: I hate windows XP

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Can anyone tell me where I can find the control panels/settings needed to make XP look/function as closely to 2000 as possible? As far as the appearance of folders, menus, etc...

Right-click somewhere on your desktop, and select "Properties". On the "Theme" tab (should be selected by default), click the drop-down and choose "Windows Classic". Apply it, then click the "Appearance" tab to customize colors/fonts/sizes/etc.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:58 AM   #8
RendeR
Coordinator

From what you described it sounds like you don't have a real large amount of RAM. XP requires at least 96 to run slowly, and 128 to run normally. Thats on top of whatever software you're running with it. If your machine isn't the newest either then you're also hitting the slowed processing.

XP is great from what I've seen over the last 2 years. It has issues with older games but those can be worked around. The biggest problem is generally the fact that it needs a decent machine to operate well on.

Not sure what to tell you at this point though. If you're seeing slowdowns like that in FOF4 then something obviously isn't running right. Start checking things one at a time. I had to do this to discover that one of my RAM chips was burnt out. Took me forever to find that little problem.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:52 PM   #9
tucker342
Pro Starter

My big issue with XP is the fact that it doesn't run old games very well.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:54 PM   #10
Craptacular
College Starter

I like XP, but come to think of it, I don't think I've tried to play the Leisure Suit Larry collection with it yet.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 04:13 PM   #11
GoldenScribeGuy
The Ultimate Authority on the Golden Scribes

Quote:
Originally posted by cincyreds
...and the FOFC Sniekiest Poster Award goes too....(drum roll)

Ah, The Golden Scribe Awards.

'cthomer'

(lots of loud clapping, a standing O even)

I hardly think "FOFC Sneakiest Poster" qualifies as an actual GS award, but you are probably right; cthomer would win it.

Feel free to disagree with my opinion. At the end of the day, you will still be wrong.

GSG's Guide to the GSAs 2003
GSAs 2003
GSG's Awards of Distinction 1
Alltime Best Actor/Actress Draft
GoldenScribeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:10 PM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RendeR
From what you described it sounds like you don't have a real large amount of RAM. XP requires at least 96 to run slowly, and 128 to run normally. Thats on top of whatever software you're running with it. If your machine isn't the newest either then you're also hitting the slowed processing.

XP is great from what I've seen over the last 2 years. It has issues with older games but those can be worked around. The biggest problem is generally the fact that it needs a decent machine to operate well on.

Not sure what to tell you at this point though. If you're seeing slowdowns like that in FOF4 then something obviously isn't running right. Start checking things one at a time. I had to do this to discover that one of my RAM chips was burnt out. Took me forever to find that little problem.

256 megs of RAM, so that's not my issue. I think others have had problems with FOF in XP, but mine are the worst i've seen.

Anrydshisdhsjdis: thanks for the "classic" style tip. definite thumbs up. It's nice to get rid of those rounded corners on everything.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:31 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Bah... I like the new XP look... and the OS as a whole. IMO, its the best thing Microsoft has done since Windows 95.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:35 PM   #14
KWhit
Coordinator

Yeah, I think XP is great. No problems whatsoever.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:41 PM   #15
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Yeah, I think XP is great. No problems whatsoever.

No no no no - you guys have it all wrong. Microsoft sucks, any OS they ever make will suck because Microsoft sucks, they're evil greedy bastards and Linux/Unix/Mac is the only way to go. Didn't you guys get the memo?

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:50 AM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm considering loading XP but I'm reluctant since I'm midly content with Win2K which is as happy as I've been with a M$ operating system since... um... DOS, I think.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 02:06 AM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

XP is more gaming friendly if that makes any sense. It is memory hungry and the more, the better. Since going from 128mb to 384mb, I've noticed ootp running much faster (FOF never gave me problems with 128).

I use 2000 for work and I agree, it's the best OS, but for gaming, XP home is better (imo).

The BIGGEST tip I can give some of you who buy a pc that has XP preloaded with other software preloaded as well is, either call a computer friend or you yourself need to reformat your drive and load XP from scratch on a clean drive. After that, get all the updates and make sure you have the latest service pack. From there, you can load whatever software you want, but only ones you are going to use. Also, I suggest using Norton anti-virus instead of McAfee. My brother couldn't play The Sims on his brand new computer with XP, so I reload windows xp clean on his pc, did the updates and had him purchase Norton anti-virus.

The game runs like a champ on pc and he hasn't had a problem since.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #18
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I've never had a problem with my XP, which is something I can't say for any other edition of Windows I've used before.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote