Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-04-2003, 05:41 PM   #1
GMO
Mascot

Re-negotiare contract for next year

It's 2/3rds through a season. I want to re-negotiate some of my contracts.
I want to pay the players at their current salary but increase their pay for next season. How do I do that?
When I try, the negotiating screen keeps adding what I'm offering to the current year salary.
But I want to pay him at his current salary this year, and raise his pay next year.
Is there a way to do that?

Thanks.

GMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 07:43 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

In most cases, wehn you are extending contracts, the player will want to receive a signing bonus as part of the extension. And since that bonus starts in the current year, it will require that part of it be counted this year. Therefore, even if the player makes the same salary this year under the new deal, his cap number will rise in order to reflect the new bonus's effect.

The only way to avoid this, in practice, is either find a player who will extend without a bonus (probably only a low-level player) or else offer a new salary for hte current year that is lower than his current salary by [bonus * 1/# of years in new deal]. Not too far-fetched, I suppose, but it might be tough to get the player to think highly of this, unless you're making the offer sweet in some other way.

(Players who are no longer as good as they were when they signed will frequently accept lowered renegotiated contracts, but it's not common for a quality player - the type that you're most anxiouus to extend here, I'm guessing)

Good luck.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote