Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #101
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

heh...i hope matt ryan makes all you doubters eat your words!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #102
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I have opened room #fofdraft on dalnet (irc.dal.net) for draft discussion, if people are interested.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #103
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
I continue to hold out the false hope that somehow the Bears nab Mendenhall

I like Mendenhall as much as Mayock, and don't believe there is a significant difference between him and McFadden, but what good is a stallion back behind a horrible line?
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #104
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Packers will do one of four things at 30:

1. Trade down (30% chance)
2. Take CB Talib or Flowers (30% chance)
3. Take QB Brohm (20% chance)
4. Take OL Sam Baker (20% chance)

To be honest, I'd be fine with any of these. I really like Cason, so I wouldn't mind them trading down 4-5 spots and still landing him. I also like Reggie Smith, who should be there when their cleveland pick comes up. For the first time in a while, we don't *NEED* a starter at any spot, so Ted should go BPA or trade down.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #105
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Matt Ryan is a pretty good QB but he is not in my opinion a top-10 QB however Brian Brohm I think is going to be a better pro because his accuracy is the best of the QB's in this class as well as next years.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #106
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
I like Mendenhall as much as Mayock, and don't believe there is a significant difference between him and McFadden, but what good is a stallion back behind a horrible line?

+1 on the Mendenhall point.

I actually have him going to the Jets, as I see them going for the BPA-skill position-wise and expected Atlanta or KC to reach on Ryan, and Oakland to draft McFadden.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #107
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
heh...i hope matt ryan makes all you doubters eat your words!

It's not really about him. Ryan is as good as he is. He seems like a middling talent to me, not a star. I mean, 32 INTs in the last two years? That's the best QB in this draft? Whispers of Rex Grossman and Kyle Boller echo in my ears--and they had better final seasons.

Ryan probably won't be that bad, but a Top Five QB should be a McNabb, Manning, Palmer, etc. He is definitely none of those guys, IMO.

No, the draft always way, way, way overhypes QBs because it is the glamour position, and I think teams buy into it to an extent (even have to--because the fans treat it as legit cuz all they know is the hype, so if a team passes up a strongly hyped QB without a proven player at the spot, they get dinged PR-wise).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #108
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It's not really about him. Ryan is as good as he is. He seems like a middling talent to me, not a star. I mean, 32 INTs in the last two years? That's the best QB in this draft? Whispers of Rex Grossman and Kyle Boller echo in my ears--and they had better final seasons.

Ryan probably won't be that bad, but a Top Five QB should be a McNabb, Manning, Palmer, etc. He is definitely none of those guys, IMO.

No, the draft always way, way, way overhypes QBs because it is the glamour position, and I think teams buy into it to an extent (even have to--because the fans treat it as legit cuz all they know is the hype, so if a team passes up a strongly hyped QB without a proven player at the spot, they get dinged PR-wise).

as Jaws just pointed out - he was playing with small, lesser-talented receivers, so he had to take some chances, and many of the INT's were not his fault
Old 04-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #109
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Packers will do one of four things at 30:

1. Trade down (30% chance)
2. Take CB Talib or Flowers (30% chance)
3. Take QB Brohm (20% chance)
4. Take OL Sam Baker (20% chance)

To be honest, I'd be fine with any of these. I really like Cason, so I wouldn't mind them trading down 4-5 spots and still landing him. I also like Reggie Smith, who should be there when their cleveland pick comes up. For the first time in a while, we don't *NEED* a starter at any spot, so Ted should go BPA or trade down.

My prediction. Brohm and Baker won't be there. I can see the CB route, but I bet at least one of those corners won't be there either. Trading down depends on a partner. Fortunately, it is easier and more common for a trade down at the end of the first than at the start. So I could see that.

My guess is the Packers will do none of these things.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #110
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But those teams projecting to take Ryan will likely see an upgrade at that position?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #111
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
as Jaws just pointed out - he was playing with small, lesser-talented receivers, so he had to take some chances, and many of the INT's were not his fault

Part of being a QB is assessing the chances for things to go wrong, including what your WRs are likely to do. And if he goes Top Three or Five, you think he will be playing with great receivers?

Best thing for Ryan would be to drafted lower down and sat to tutor for a year or two behind a solid veteran. That won't happen, but that's what would be best for him. I have more confidence in Brohm making a positive impact in his first year than Ryan.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #112
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
But those teams projecting to take Ryan will likely see an upgrade at that position?

Can you expand on this so I know what teams you are talking about and what point you're trying to make? I'm not sure I understand.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #113
st.cronin
General Manager

I think the Packers will either take a lineman, or Dustin Keller. If Brohm is there the temptation will probably be to trade down rather than draft him.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #114
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
My prediction. Brohm and Baker won't be there. I can see the CB route, but I bet at least one of those corners won't be there either. Trading down depends on a partner. Fortunately, it is easier and more common for a trade down at the end of the first than at the start. So I could see that.
I think a team would be willing to trade to 30 to get Henne, IMO. If Brohm, Baker and one of those corners are gone, that means someone like Mayo, Sweed or Cherilus is probably there. Those guys would also make a fairly decent upgrade over the round 2 players at their spots. Still, I think there will be a lot of interest from either Baltimore, the Jets or Atlanta (whomever doesn't land Ryan) to move up and nab Henne (or Brohm) at 30.

Quote:
My guess is the Packers will do none of these things.
Chance for being correct? Probably 100%
Old 04-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #115
st.cronin
General Manager

Matt Ryan played for a good team, one of his lineman is likely to be a first round pick. That's just nonsense. He's an ok prospect, but not really any different from guys like Kyle Boller, Aaron Rodgers, etc. Its actually pretty hard to tell why he's scouted higher than John David Booty, never mind Brian Brohm.

knives out
Old 04-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #116
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I think the Packers will either take a lineman, or Dustin Keller. If Brohm is there the temptation will probably be to trade down rather than draft him.
Keller would be too much of a reach (plus I think they like the Carlson kid from ND more - and he should be at their Cleveland pick). I could see OL, but I think there will be a good offer to trade down. IMO, Henne or Brohm (or both) will be there and the Ryan loser will offer a decent deal to move up.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #117
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Matt Ryan played for a good team, one of his lineman is likely to be a first round pick. That's just nonsense. He's an ok prospect, but not really any different from guys like Kyle Boller, Aaron Rodgers, etc. Its actually pretty hard to tell why he's scouted higher than John David Booty, never mind Brian Brohm.

Well, Booty scored a 15 on his Wonderlic or something.

Plus, have you heard him talk? Seriously, though, you're right, I am not sure Ryan is much better than Booty. He probably is...probably.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #118
st.cronin
General Manager

Booty's from Louisiana, right? So he doesn't even speak English.

knives out
Old 04-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #119
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Matt Ryan is a pretty good QB but he is not in my opinion a top-10 QB however Brian Brohm I think is going to be a better pro because his accuracy is the best of the QB's in this class as well as next years.
I don't even think he's a first round QB...in two games against VT last season (the best defense he saw...and not even close to being as good as your typical NFL defense), he combined to go 58/104 for 590 yards, 2 TD and 4 INT. The only thing that stood out about those two games was the last minute drive during the first meeting and that was as much about busted coverage as it was about Ryan.

If the Falcons take Ryan at #3, that'll solidify my idea that the old idiots running the show were just replaced by newer idiots.

Last edited by VPI97 : 04-26-2008 at 01:45 PM.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #120
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
I don't even think he's a first round QB...in two games against VT last season (the best defense he saw...and not even close to being as good as your typical NFL defense), he combined to go 58/104 for 590 yards, 2 TD and 4 INT. The only thing that stood out about those two games was the last minute drive during the first meeting and that was as much about busted coverage as it was about Ryan.

If the Falcons take Ryan at #3, that'll solidify my idea that the old idiots running the show were just replaced by newer idiots.

26/53 415 2tds 3Ints

Thats his stats against Florida State. I agree I really don't think he is that good but he is certainly a 1st round QB based on need and not talent. I am very high on Brohm and hope that the Dolphins are able to get him.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #121
Raiders Army
Coordinator

In the words of Rich Eisen: "Let's get this puppy started!"
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Atlanta already has a ton of draft picks (I think 3 in round 2), so I'm not sure what trading down will really accomplish for thim. I agree with JimGa that both Dorsey and Ryan are risky picks, but ... who else would you argue for at 3?

What it would accomplish is avoiding overpaying for someone who isn't going to deliver what a #3 overall costs.

And I'm not sure there's anybody I'd argue for at #3 (with Long & Long gone) ... so why the hell get stuck with the pricetag?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #123
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

They are booing the Phin's oh yes it is on versus the Jets this season.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #124
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Jets fans: very classy booing the first pick overall.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #125
Ironhead
College Prospect

The folks over on one of the larger Falcons message boards are threatening bloody murder if the team takes Ryan.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #126
MJ4H
Coordinator

Falcons fans amuse me.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #127
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
The folks over on one of the larger Falcons message boards are threatening bloody murder if the team takes Ryan.

Then its likely going to be a bloodbath.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

It'd be a waste of energy to kill Ryan ... he'll either die playing behind the woeful line or be ready to kill himself when he realizes what he's facing.

edit: Yeah, I know, it ain't Ryan they're wanting to kill but still ...

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-26-2008 at 02:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #129
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And I'm not sure there's anybody I'd argue for at #3 (with Long & Long gone) ... so why the hell get stuck with the pricetag?

The problem is, I'm not sure anybody else in the league disagrees with you. Hard to trade down when nobody else is really wanting to trade up.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #130
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Dorsey, McFadden, and Brohm are all going to be great NFL players.

It amusing how teams manage to find flaws in guys that have been around and have proven themselves for awhile, but fall in love with one-year and workout wonders.

BTW, if Dorsey (who I think is the best player in the draft) falls to the Pats, I'm shooing myself.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #131
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I think a team would be willing to trade to 30 to get Henne, IMO. If Brohm, Baker and one of those corners are gone, that means someone like Mayo, Sweed or Cherilus is probably there. Those guys would also make a fairly decent upgrade over the round 2 players at their spots. Still, I think there will be a lot of interest from either Baltimore, the Jets or Atlanta (whomever doesn't land Ryan) to move up and nab Henne (or Brohm) at 30.

I am not sure why Green Bay is looking at QBs other then they have given up on Aron Rodgers. I can not think of another team that has spent a 1st rounder (and the money involved) on a QB they did not expect to play. Rodgers is going to have enough pressure on him following Farve without having another 1st round QB looking over his shoulder.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #132
st.cronin
General Manager

JimGa, picture this: You're the Chiefs, and Atlanta offers you the #3 for the #5, straight up. Do you take that deal? I say no. That pretty much sums up Atlanta's problem.

knives out
Old 04-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #133
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The problem is, I'm not sure anybody else in the league disagrees with you. Hard to trade down when nobody else is really wanting to trade up.

I'm just hard pressed to believe that there isn't some GM out there stupid enough to do something.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #134
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think Dorsey, McFadden, and Brohm are all going to be great NFL players.

It amusing how teams manage to find flaws in guys that have been around and have proven themselves for awhile, but fall in love with one-year and workout wonders.

BTW, if Dorsey (who I think is the best player in the draft) falls to the Pats, I'm shooing myself.

McFadden, in particular - dude finished 2nd in the Heisman TWICE, playing for only a so-so team.

knives out
Old 04-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #135
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
JimGa, picture this: You're the Chiefs, and Atlanta offers you the #3 for the #5, straight up. Do you take that deal? I say no. That pretty much sums up Atlanta's problem.

If that's truly where we're at -- that all the GM's in the league are smart enough not to do it -- then honest to God I'd say you do what you have to: start adding picks to the swap.

Hell, this is the Falcons we're talking about. They've got as good a chance finding a worthwhile undrafted FA as they do in getting something in the draft.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
McFadden, in particular - dude finished 2nd in the Heisman TWICE, playing for only a so-so team.

Who really wants to draft the next character-challenged guy though?
I'd say he's easily the most athletically talented guy in the draft, by a pretty wide margin even.
But he's also shown signs of being a problem looking for a place to happen.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-26-2008 at 02:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #137
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Boo! He should've gone to the Raiders!
Old 04-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #138
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
I am not sure why Green Bay is looking at QBs other then they have given up on Aron Rodgers. I can not think of another team that has spent a 1st rounder (and the money involved) on a QB they did not expect to play. Rodgers is going to have enough pressure on him following Farve without having another 1st round QB looking over his shoulder.

Agreed.

Other than maybe Brohm, I don't think any of those guys in the late 1st/early 2nd range is worth building around over Rodgers. Give Rodgers a shot, for at least a year, and draft another talented first rounder before finding a new QB of the future.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #139
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Boo! He should've gone to the Raiders!

i guess but the raiders wouldn't have taken him
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #140
MJ4H
Coordinator

McFadden has no character problems. He has "off-field" problems in that his mother was a crack-addict and he has a large family with brothers that get in fights (that he tries to stop).

I don't think you'll find anyone that says his character is the problem.

The off-field stuff is overblown. McFadden will be fine.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #141
st.cronin
General Manager

Rachel Nichols looks so tasty.

knives out
Old 04-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #142
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post

Horseshit.

Two nightclub fights & three pending paternity suits, I don't give a damn if he's got relatives involved in all five incidents, HIS fucking character is dubious at best.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #143
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Trade the pick Al.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Matt Ryan, 3rd overall ... and he'll have a less productive NFL career than Joey Harrington.

Write it down.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #145
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
i guess but the raiders wouldn't have taken him

Tru dat. I hope Al doesn't take McFadden.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #146
MJ4H
Coordinator

Horseshit right back at you. The club fights were trying to stop his brothers and he never ran from the paternity stuff (which is going to have zero effect on football).

edit: being paralyzed by fear over non-issues on one of the best RBs to ever come through the draft (a paraphrase from several experts quite recently) is how teams wind up drafting busts instead of future stars.

Last edited by MJ4H : 04-26-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #147
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Horseshit.

Two nightclub fights & three pending paternity suits, I don't give a damn if he's got relatives involved in all five incidents, HIS fucking character is dubious at best.

He likes to have sex I don't think that is a character flaw.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #148
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
McFadden has no character problems. He has "off-field" problems in that his mother was a crack-addict and he has a large family with brothers that get in fights (that he tries to stop).

The off-field stuff is overblown. McFadden will be fine.

I think so, too. He can immediately become productive and be the face of one of these down-trodden franchises.

That said, I think it will be better for him to go to a team that is not in the Southeast, so that he is more than a car ride away from his buddies.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #149
st.cronin
General Manager

MJ4H, I think I found somebody who says its DMC's character that's the problem. This guy in Georgia, the middle part.

knives out
Old 04-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #150
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Matty !!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-26-2008 at 02:21 PM.