Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Autumn
Head Coach

Moving / School Advice (Maine area, especially)

I've never posted on here looking for advice, but I see a lot of threads like these that seem to garner useful comments. We're planning a bunch of big changes at once, moving the family and then me possibly going back to school. It's a lot to figure out and I'd be happy for any ideas people have either becuase they've gone through it or they know the area.

We currently live in Vermont, in the sticks. We're looking to do two things with the move - get closer to our families who live in seacoast New Hampshire and downeast Maine respectively, and move to somewhere a bit more civilized. By which we mean, things like sidewalks, places to walk or bike, things to do close by, a neighborhood, etc. We're currently looking at the Portland, Maine area because it's a decent distance between the two families, and obviously has a decent population compared to Sticksville.

I'd be interested in any thoughts about that general area, good towns to live in, housing prices, schooling options (we have a 5 and a 2 year old), etc. I'd also be interested in just general advice from people who have moved with a family before, what you found important to look for.

At the same time I'm hoping to go back to school as very much an adult in a year or two. I started college after high school but left, and went on to do other things. I'm now interested in going back, with a smattering of interests in psychology and child development, as well as economics and international development. I was a very good student, but I've been out of it for 15 years now. I'd love to hear from people who have gone to school as an adult, and especially as a parent and income earner.

Lastly, any information about schools in the general Portland, Maine, seacoast NH area would be of use. Thanks for any comments anyone has.

Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I grew up in the Portland suburb of Yarmouth, but left when I graduated High School (1991) and haven't lived in the state since then (though my folks and two sets of Aunts and Uncles still do).

Back when I was in High School, and from what I hear it hasn't changed all that much, there was a relatively significant difference in quality of schools between the affluent suburbs of Portland and the less well-off towns further out. Basically if the town is rich enough to have its own schools (as opposed to a MSAD - Maine School Administrative District) it's probably pretty good.

Portland's two high schools, Portland & Deering, are both good.

Anyway, like I said I still have family there, including an Aunt & Uncle with kids aged 2 and 5 who live in Portland who probably know a lot more about your questions than I do. If you're interested, send me a PM and I can get you in touch with them.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote