Old 07-10-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
cmp
Pro Rookie

Kidd tells NJ: Fire Scott Or I'm Out

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/37617.htm

KIDD TO NETS:
BANISH BYRON

By FRED KERBER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POWER PLAY:
Jason Kidd has told the Nets that he won't re-sign with the team unless Byron Scott is dismissed as coach, sources have told The Post.
- J. Zelevansky

July 10, 2003 -- In a bombshell demand to Nets ownership, Jason Kidd has asked the team to fire coach Byron Scott if they hope to keep him from jumping to the Spurs as a free agent, The Post has learned.
The All-Star point guard, according to several league sources, delivered his request during a midtown meeting Tuesday night with his agent, team owners and club president Rod Thorn.

Kidd and Thorn could not be reached for comment yesterday.

One source said that Kidd told Nets ownership his complaint stems from Scott's in-game coaching and that the removal of the second-winningest coach in franchise history is one way to prevent him from going to the San Antonio.

Kidd and Scott, on the surface, seemed to have a good working relationship. They are friendly and have golfed together, but during the season there were rumblings that Kidd disapproved of Scott's in-game decisions. After the Nets were ousted in Game 6 of the Finals by the Spurs in a game where Scott was criticized for his fourth-quarter adjustments, sources said Kidd told Nets brass his son "T.J. could have coached a better quarter."

"Jason expressed concerns, ranging from team personnel, to life after basketball to the current coaching situation," said one of the sources.

"This has been brewing for some time," maintained another source.

Scott, contacted last night, sounded stunned by the development.

"I have no reaction," said Scott, who won three title rings as a Laker player. "It surprises me."

Asked if he sensed any ill feelings or animosity from Kidd in their two years together, Scott quickly said, "No, not at all."

Scott's agent, Brian McInerney, who has been with the coach for 19 years, said last night that he spoke with Kidd's agent, Jeff Schwartz, after learning of the player's demands.

"I talked to Jeff Schwartz frequently and we both believe that whatever is decided should be decided in a professional manner and not in a public debate," McInerney said. "I doubt the validity of this meeting without an official comment from Rod Thorn. These releases harm the franchise, harm the players, harm players' families. Everything should only be released through Rod Thorn."

The Nets took the ultimatum very seriously but likely would not move against Scott until Kidd commits to stay. Team brass is expected to start reviewing possible coaching candidates, such as 2001-02 Coach of the Year Rick Carlisle, Mike Dunleavy, Doug Collins and Mike Fratello.

In addition to his demand on Scott, Kidd also wants an upgrade in talent, so the Nets are seeking to lock up his friend, free-agent center Alonzo Mourning.

Thorn had just returned from Miami, where he met with Mourning and his agent, Jeffrey Wechsler. The Nets feel strongly they can land Mourning for the mid-level exception, roughly $4.8 million, if Kidd stays. Yesterday, the path to Mourning became easier when Heat president and coach Pat Riley said he was not willing to go beyond one year for the center and it would take a "heroic" gesture by Zo to stay in Miami.

The Nets, after the Spurs' whirlwind, two-day courtship of Kidd and his wife, Joumana, in San Antonio, are prepared to make every attempt beyond the six-year, $99.225 million maximum contract to keep him in New Jersey. Kidd presented his side at Tuesday's meeting, the first of several sitdowns planned for this week.

Kidd would receive a management-level position with the Nets after he retires. There were other issues discussed, such as job opportunities in TV for his wife. More than one source maintained that Joumana, while admittedly impressed by the Spurs' presentation, is leaning heavily toward remaining in New Jersey. While the Spurs also can offer TV opportunities, San Antonio and the Riverwalk are not New York and Madison Avenue.

If the Nets fire Scott, Kidd could emerge as a villain. But if the Nets continue winning - they've been to the Finals in Kidd's two seasons - who would care? Scott is 127-119 (.516) in three seasons. He coached the Nets to their two greatest NBA win totals - 52 in 2001-02 and 49 last season, landing in the Finals both times.

The Spurs were pleased with their presentation to the Kidds but they are not getting overly excited, fearing the longer he's home, the stronger the Nets' chances become.

"The purpose of the trip was to provide a feeling for the personality of our organization," said Spurs GM R.C. Buford. As for whether he thinks Kidd will sign with the Spurs, Buford said, "I have no reason to feel one way or the other."

Mourning and Kidd grew very close with the 2000 U.S. Olympic team. Mourning has said he is watching Kidd's decision very closely.

Mourning is being courted by several teams, including Dallas, with reports the Mavs have offered at least three guaranteed years. Some speculate he would prefer to stay in the East, and with the Nets, he would be close to Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in Manhattan, where he has been treated for the kidney illness that forced him out last season and for all but 13 games in 2000-01. One of his closest friends, former Georgetown roommate Dikembe Mutombo, is already here.

cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
sony
High School JV

What the hell was Jason Kidd thinking? Pretty damn blunt and bold statement.
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I really, really hope San Antonio gets this guy. He's such a team player.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:01 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Breaking news..

Jason Kidd tells San Antonio the only way he'll sign is if he can turn the Alamo into a Sizzler.

Wow.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:04 PM   #5
vtbub
College Starter

Classy, real classy.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Even though this is a jerky move, I do admire Kidd for his desire to be on a winning team. If he doesn't think they can do it under Scott, but wants to stay in New Jersey, I can see his point of view a bit. Still, it'd probably be better to just go to San Antonio and not make a jerk of yourself.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:29 PM   #7
Easy Mac

Ummm, they've made it to the NBA finals the past 2 years, I'd say they can win with Scott.

He also said they have to sign Alonzo Mourning. Is it sad that the most sought after free-agent center is recovering from a potentially deadly disease? Is this a sad day for the NBA?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:33 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Even though this is a jerky move, I do admire Kidd for his desire to be on a winning team. If he doesn't think they can do it under Scott, but wants to stay in New Jersey, I can see his point of view a bit. Still, it'd probably be better to just go to San Antonio and not make a jerk of yourself.

...but when a coach thinks a completely over-the-hill quarterback from Pitt can't win a title, he's a jerk for getting rid of him? What if that coach only cares about winning a championship?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:34 PM   #9
vtbub
College Starter

You honestly think that Scott was the problem the last two years. Certainly with all the stacking going on in the west, I can see why he wouldn't want to stay back east, but to dump on Scott boggles me.

The Celtics had them dead to rites last season and they won, and this year they clearly were the best team in the east in the playoffs, even taking two against a Spurs team that was clearly better.

At this point Jersey or Detroit winning the NBA title would be as big of a shock as the Jets were in Super Bowl III.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:58 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm just saying that from Kidd's perspective, if he believes that Scott is a bad coach, and he genuinely wants to stay in NJ, then he should say something about it, or just move on to another team. I'm not saying what he did was classy, just somewhat understandable. I think maybe what he said is not as bad as guys are making it out to be.

...but when a coach thinks a completely over-the-hill quarterback from Pitt can't win a title, he's a jerk for getting rid of him? What if that coach only cares about winning a championship?

Wannstedt is a jerk because he got rid of Marino in a cowardly way. Rather than just telling Marino that he thought he was done, he would leak what he thought to the press "off the record". I still would have hated him for getting rid of Marino, of course, but if you're going to get rid of the best player in team history, don't do it in such a cowardly way. Let him leave with dignity. Don't take away one of his best tools (audibling at the line of scrimmage (that was Johnson, not Wannstedt)) and then blame him when the offense fails. Give him a decent running game and good receivers. Or at least a decent line to protect him.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:59 PM   #11
Easy Mac

So, Kidd telling the press he wants Scott gone is classier than Wannstedt telling the press he wants Marino gone?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:04 PM   #12
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think Kidd is just looking for an out and he knows they won't fire Scott. So the fans can't technically get mad at him since he said that he would stay if the front office met his demands.

Justin Smith did this a few years ago by demanding the Missouri Tigers keep Larry Smith as their head coach or else he would enter the NFL draft. (Obviously knowing that Larry Smith was going to be fired) I guess it is a little classier when you are trying to save a coach's job instead of have him fired, but still it's the same concept.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:09 PM   #13
vtbub
College Starter

I can see where Jason is coming from and I can also see where Ben Wallace was coming from. At that level, you would have to be surpremely confident of your abilities to succeed at that level, just like a coach has to be confident in his abilities to win.

Clearly, there are times when a coach needs to be run out on a rail. Pitino in Boston, Jimmy with the Dolphins, comes to mind. It seems, however, that coaches take too much of the blame when a player can't perform.

Am I really expected to believe that Rick Carlisle or Byron Scott were bigger hinderances for Detroit and Jersey not beating the West? Yeah, I know that every case is different, but sometimes we need to look in the mirror.

Old 07-10-2003, 01:17 PM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

How long until we hear Jesse Jackson calling Kidd a racist?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:18 PM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
So, Kidd telling the press he wants Scott gone is classier than Wannstedt telling the press he wants Marino gone?

At least Kidd had the balls to do it on the record.

Again, I'm not saying what he did was good. I'm just pointing out that it is at least somewhat understandable from his perspective, and that I also respect him for at least showing he that he cares about winning.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:20 PM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

Jason Kidd is a prick, and the basketball gods will frown upon him. May he retire ringless.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:20 PM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Another explination: This is the NY POST! It has a reputation as a tabloid. It is quite possible that this isn't true at all.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:23 PM   #18
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
How long until we hear Jesse Jackson calling Kidd a racist?

A week, 2 weeks tops.

That would be really funny if they did fire Scott, I wonder if Kidd would stay in New Jersey or if he would still leave. My guess would be that he would still leave
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:38 PM   #19
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I hope he does go to San Anton, along with a decent big man simply to give the Lakers at least a little challenge. I already hate the Lakers enough without further encourgement from Gary Payton or Karl Malone. And after they win another 2-3 titles we'll have to hear more drivel about what a great coach Phil Jackson is.

You could have Tim Floyd coach that team to a title. Do they even need a coach? Make it like your local rec league team. Just come on out for a breather when ya feel like it big fella. Rest of the time just run the motion offense and take an open shot when you have it. 72 wins later you get home court advantage and breeze through for another title. God I hope not.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #20
Swaggs
Coordinator

Let's be realistic, the Nets win because of Kidd, not Scott.

It sucks, but if you were management, what would you do?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #21
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Jouwanna Mann says it's not true.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:19 PM   #22
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by thesloppy
Jouwanna Mann says it's not true.

Of course she's gonna say that... otherwise Jason will pimp-slap her.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #23
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Kind of a weird. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Not the part about Kidd wanting Scott out - if he doesn't like him, he doesn't like him - but more the fact that he made it public. There's no real good reason to and accomplishes nothing for him at all.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:46 PM   #24
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Of course she's gonna say that... otherwise Jason will pimp-slap her.

What do you mean?

Oh.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #25
thesloppy
Pro Starter

At least he saved her a buck or two by slapping down the middle.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:24 PM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hmmm. Maybe he should go play for the Cowboys.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:26 PM   #27
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Hmmm. Maybe he should go play for the Cowboys.

Well, I do believe the Dallas Mavericks would be willing to pay him the mid-level exception... Although he originally got traded from that franchise to Phoenix because he refused to play with Jim Jackson.

Aside from that, the closest he'll be is San Antonio.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:30 PM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Although he originally got traded from that franchise to Phoenix because he refused to play with Jesse Jackson.

Can't blame him there. I don't think that I could play with Jesse Jackson either. I'd get tired of being called a racist every time I didn't pass him the ball.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:43 PM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Can't blame him there. I don't think that I could play with Jesse Jackson either. I'd get tired of being called a racist every time I didn't pass him the ball.

I've been Fritzed... my first time, as I recall, and it wasn't even by the man himself.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:55 PM   #30
Kodos
Resident Alien

Fritz - Accept no substitutes!
Old 07-10-2003, 09:14 PM   #31
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

BREAKING NEWS (or not so breaking): Everyone on all sides denies Kidd ever made this demand.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:28 PM   #32
Taur
High School Varsity

Forget where Kidd would go, I want to know where Scott would go?

With LA already having one of the Deepest staffs in basketball could Scott find any room on the Staff untill Jackson retires? Many people claim this will be Phil's last year.