Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

MLB Power Pros (Wii/PS2)

If you haven't picked up this game, DO IT NOW! Really great game with a ton of options. The nice thing is that it's a game that provides plenty of challenge in all of its modes, but it's also a game that's very easy to pick up and play for newbies and kids.

The Success mode is the 'career' mode in the game. You start as a freshman in college and try to work your way up the ladder. Balancing study, rest, and practice is a constant battle. There's also the constant battle with girlfriends and how to deal with them as well. The obvious goal is to get into the majors and become a great player. I'm through my first year of college and enjoying it a lot.

For those with kids and a Wii, I believe there is a mode where the player can just swing the bat (using motion control) and the baserunning and fielding are auto-control. Should make it fun for them without making it overly complicated.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

What better, PS2 version or Wii version?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Celeval
Pro Starter

I rented the Wii version to try out and have been having a blast with it. Played my first full game last night - it moves quickly, the game took about 25 minutes, but could have been faster as I was still learning the controls. Won 9-8 after giving up 5 in the top of the ninth; Beltran flew out to LF with two outs and the bases loaded to end it.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
What better, PS2 version or Wii version?

Wii version sims through seasons twice as fast, has the aforementioned Wiimote only mode, but costs $40 instead of $30. It's worth buying either way.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've played the PS2 version a bit and like it a lot as well. The middle difficulty was too easy in the only game I played on it. But the hardest difficulty is a big challenge so far.

I've lost all four or five games I've played, all my scores of 3-2, 2-1, 5-1, etc... I find it really hard to hit the ball right now.

The thing I like is that there's a crazy amount of stats after the game. And the stats seem so realistic. Pitchers get tired, bad control pitchers will sometimes throw the ball somewhere you don't want, and pitch counts seem realistic. Maddux lasted 90 pitches before he started to show signs of being tired (wiping his forehead).

There's also cool little things, like the player looking back at you angrily if there was a close called strike. If the batter is down 0-2 in the count, his hitting sweet spot gets smaller. A power swing makes the sweet spot really small. It seems like the sweet spot is bigger for better hitters. Ichiro had a pretty damn big one compared to a pitcher that was batting. I like how they implemented the swining and pitching.

I haven't played a baseball game since the original Playstation, but I'm loving this game so far.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Icy
Pro Starter

Is this available for PSP?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I mentioned in the official Wii games thread that I picked this one up as well. Having a blast so far.

I guess my major complaint with the Wii version is that I can't find a way, either via the Wii "Screen" settings or using the different screen sizes on my TV, to fully stretch the screen over my TV. I end up with black bars on the sides no matter what, which makes me feel that I need to limit my play on my plasma (or at least break it up with some TV viewing or whatnot in between).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Is this available for PSP?

No, but it'd be the perfect game for it.

I picked it up for the Wii for kicks. (I was actually going to pick up strikers so MattJonesforHeisman and I could play, but decided to give the MLB thing a shot as I'd heard so much about it.

Simply put, WOW. You know what really sold me on it? I'm playing in Seattle. The game starts with the dome open and in the middle of the third inning it starts to close. (I have no idea what weather settings I had or if the wind was picking up or anything) It was one of those moments that caused my jaw to drop.

I wish to God this were out for the PSP. I have a two week trip coming up (Bend and Portland, OR----weeeeee) and this would be the perfect time filler. As it is, only one game gets my time during this part of the year (NBA2K8) on the main consoles.

Guess I'll have to pick up the new Zelda game for the DS on my trip.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I mentioned in the official Wii games thread that I picked this one up as well. Having a blast so far.

I guess my major complaint with the Wii version is that I can't find a way, either via the Wii "Screen" settings or using the different screen sizes on my TV, to fully stretch the screen over my TV. I end up with black bars on the sides no matter what, which makes me feel that I need to limit my play on my plasma (or at least break it up with some TV viewing or whatnot in between).

Did you set up to output 480p w/ the component cables? If that's not it, then I have no idea. Might just be designed to only display 4:3
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I was actually going to pick up strikers so MattJonesforHeisman and I could play, but decided to give the MLB thing a shot as I'd heard so much about it.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post

I'll still pick it up. Promise. I can't resist a good baseball game. If the store had been out of it, I'd have picked up Strikers. Give me til next check.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I read other places that there is no 16:9 mode, which is kinda weak.

It's strange that no reviews have popped up yet on metacrtic/gameranking, no advertising as far as I know, you basically had to be a regular visitor to gaming messageboards to even find out about this game, a bit of a shame since this game is really good.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #13
Daimyo
College Starter

I can't wait to pick this up as soon as I get home my my business trip. I imported the N64 version when I was in Japan and '98 and played it as much as any console game I've ever owned despite not really caring for baseball much.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I read other places that there is no 16:9 mode, which is kinda weak.

It's strange that no reviews have popped up yet on metacrtic/gameranking, no advertising as far as I know, you basically had to be a regular visitor to gaming messageboards to even find out about this game, a bit of a shame since this game is really good.

They did not ship advance review copies to the review sites. You'll see reviews pop up.....they'll just come a bit late.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
Celeval
Pro Starter

So. Much. Fun. I had a broken bat line-out to the shortstop earlier (the bat flew off to the side, and the batter got one of those exclamation points over his head). It's also realistic - J.D. Drew struck out looking twice.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Did you set up to output 480p w/ the component cables? If that's not it, then I have no idea. Might just be designed to only display 4:3

Well, I might be missing an important step so here's what the things I know about are set at:

- I have my Wii connected to the TV with components cables (blue/green/red + audio).
- In the Wii settings I've gone to Screen Resolution and tried both the standard/EDTV and HDTV options.
- In the Wii settings I've gone to the Screen Display Type and tried both 4:3 and 16:9.
- On my TV, under all of the above settings, I've tried every screen size option I know about (4:3, Full, Wide, Game, Zoom).

The wierdest thing is that even if I set everything to standard 4:3 settings, and have my TV on 4:3 mode, the game still frames the output with black bars _inside_ the grey bars that my TV has. I'm not sure if maybe it is somehow sensing that the TV is an HDTV and ignoring the Wii settings or what, but it is somewhat vexxing.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
It's also realistic - J.D. Drew struck out looking twice.

2K is sending this. I can't wait to play it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

2K is sending this. I can't wait to play it.

It's odd. It's like they didn't expect it to do well and then suddenly realized 'Oh, maybe we should send out some review copies'.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #19
spleen1015
Coordinator

Got it yesterday and played for about an hour.

I played an exhibition game I was the Red Sox and lost to the Pirates 14-11. After that, I started a Success Mode game. I played for about 30 minutes with that. When do I actually get to play a baseball game?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Got it yesterday and played for about an hour.

I played an exhibition game I was the Red Sox and lost to the Pirates 14-11. After that, I started a Success Mode game. I played for about 30 minutes with that. When do I actually get to play a baseball game?

The Success mode is mostly a RPG to develop new players for the season/dynasty major league mode. There's not more than 5-6 games to play in the success mode.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #21
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The Success mode is mostly a RPG to develop new players for the season/dynasty major league mode. There's not more than 5-6 games to play in the success mode.

Yeah - if you're just looking to play games, the League mode is for small leagues (1-6 teams, similar to the old Baseball Stars leagues), or there's the Season(?) mode that is the Franchise/Dynasty thing. Success is more similar to a cross between Inside the Park and Final Fantasy.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:25 AM   #22
SackAttack
Head Coach

Deal of the Day over at Amazon.com. $19.99 for the PS2 version.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #23
Balldog
Pro Rookie

This is a great game, might be one of the better baseball games I have played. Its a great mix between fun and sim, it does a lot of little things right. My only beef is the lack of walks and the rosters could use a ton of work.

I started a Season Mode with the Reds and I am off to a 0-3 start. Losing every game by 1, including a 15 inning thriller. Which Encarnacion hit a 2-run HR in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs to send it to extra innings.

Some people will be turned off because of the cartoon look and the fact that Billy Traber doesn't scratch his nuts in between pitches, but if you like baseball - this is a great game. I hope they bring it to XBOX 360 next year and release it in the spring.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #24
bob
College Starter

Is there a way to download a roster update on memory card for this game for the Wii? I'd like to update the game with the Tigers new lineup, but if possible, would like to avoid manually changing everything myself.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #25
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Is there a way to download a roster update on memory card for this game for the Wii? I'd like to update the game with the Tigers new lineup, but if possible, would like to avoid manually changing everything myself.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure this isn't possible. Either Konami or 2k made it so would-be roster makers can't copy their roster file from the Wii console and upload it, and I have no clue why they would have done this.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #26
bob
College Starter

oh well - thanks for letting me know.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #27
dfisher
High School JV

What is the best way to increase difficulty in this game? I'm the Phillies in a season and have started off 15-1, with Ryan Howard already at 18 homers, Chase Utley has 10, and Pat Burrell has 8. Pitching-wise, Cole Hamels is my worst with an ERA around 3.5. Heck, Adam freakin' Eaton is pitching well for me (though, fittingly, he has my only loss). A lot of the games haven't been close (10-1, 8-0, etc). I mean, I like winning and everything, but I would like a little more challenge.

Another question, is it possible to hit homeruns with the contact swing? So far, all of my homeruns are with power swing.
dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Picking up this one tonight for some baseball fever action!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #29
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I liked playing the Success Mode, but I discovered that I wasn't really a fan of playing the actual games. I kinda wished that I'd rented it instead of buying it, but oh well.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #30
MikeVic
Head Coach

Put it in your KING CAKE.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #31
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I am playing the Wii version. I made an Arrange team with the intent of putting them into the league and playing a season with them. Then I realized that I couldn't do that because I had to have a certain amount of points to purchase the rights to do it. I don't mind playing until I get enough points. However, I also notice that the "item" which allows me to do it is on back-order. How can I make sure that I am able to place an arrange team into full season mode? Is there some task that I have to complete beyond getting enough points?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #32
Celeval
Pro Starter

I think finishing one season will turn the item on.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #33
Butter
Coordinator

I see that you can use the Motion Control for batting... what is the pitching mechanism like? This might be a good game for me to play with my 7 year old, as long as the pitching is not too complex.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #34
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Thanks for the answer.

Butter, I am not using the wii-motion controls. Pitching is, I think, pretty simple, but I am not sure what a seven year old can do. Basically, you pick a pitch style, use the nunchuck to aim the pitch, and press A to release the ball.

You might want to rent the game first to check it out. One good thing about it is that you can automate tasks (like base running and fielding)that you don't want to/can't do.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #35
saldana
Pro Starter

i have been playing this alot lately, and i think the gameplay leaves alot to be desired...the ball physics are horrible, and the fielders have no momentum...the fact that they also dont "reach" out for a ball hit just to the left or right of them is very annoying to me...if you arent directly in front of the ball, it goes right by...hitting the ball down the line is virtually impossible, and the number of popups to the deep infield that are tracked down by the cPU infielders is ridiculously out of proportion...the selection of the active fielder by the computer for me to use is horrendous, and it will randomly switch to a player that I am not intending to use at least once per game, especially on weak ground balls to the infield....at least once every other game i am tempted to just trade it in for a game that doesnt piss me off.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #36
Celeval
Pro Starter

MLB Power Pros 2008 to be released sometime in July.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/872/872668p1.html
Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New media. Power Pros 2008 screenshots:

http://www.sportsgamerblog.com/mlb-p...8-screenshots/

New trailer for Power Pros 2008:

http://www.2ksports.com/games/mlbpp2008
Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #38
Izulde
Head Coach

I really hope you can import from Success Mode to MLB Life Mode. That would -rock-!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #39
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Izulde: yes, you can do that.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #40
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MUST BUY!!! and I'm on vacation!!!!!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote