Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
Taur
High School Varsity

Kobe, ESPN, and Etc...How come no apology?

If you missed it, hours after the DNA evidence was released to his lawyers Kobe has changed his story and now ADMITS to having sex with the girl.

So, where are all the apologies from all of Kobe's supporters that believed Kobe's story in the LA paper stating that he had done nothing wrong? Where are the apologies from the Sport reporters that claimed this girl had made everything up and was only in it for publicity? Where are all the apologies from Kobe's friends that claimed this girl was lying to make a fast buck?

It is funny how when the lights go on the cockroaches quickly run for cover.

Taur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:13 PM   #2
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think most of them were talking about rape, not the sex.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:32 PM   #3
Easy Mac

He never said he didn't have sex, he said the accusations were false. He never said which he was speaking of.

I guess we know where to find the self-righteous pricks. Remind me to post on a messageboard the next time you speed.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I don't know what he meant, but I do know that he said he "didn't do anything wrong".

Whether or not that means he had sex with her, I don't know, but he was very vague in his statement.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:42 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think he was intentionally vague, since there was a chance he wouldn't be charged. If he wasn't charged, then his "you guys know I wouldn't do something like that" comment could be construed as applying to either rape or adultery. And no one would likely know the truth about whether he had screwed around on his wife. The appearance at the ESPYs was part of that as well. If he wasn't charged, then his appearance at the ESPYs was justified because he knew he did nothing wrong and was simply going on with his life as best he could.

Now, with the charges, he's had to move to Plan B, which is to admit to the sex but deny the rape. Pretty standard strategy - don't admit to any facts unless you have to or there's no use denying it. Until today, he had no reason to volunteer anything.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-18-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 11:33 PM   #6
Taur
High School Varsity

I am talking about all the people/Sports channels proclaiming that this little girl was making EVERYTHING up. And, was just in it for the publicity or money.

Now, with Kobe comming forward and admitting that something DID happen in his room, where are all the Official appologies?
Old 07-19-2003, 12:22 AM   #7
McSweeny
College Starter

since when did the media start making apologies for being wrong?
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 12:37 AM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

I don't think I'll make an offical one, I'll do an unoffical one

Hey Taur, he hasn't been convicted of anything yet
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 09:41 AM   #9
Taur
High School Varsity

THE KOBE BRYANT 3-STEP PROGRAM.

Kobe goes to the press and states he is 100% innocent and has done no wrong

The DA gets back the Rape-Test results performed on the victim.

STEP 1 ---(The Jerry Farwell Defense, I have Sinned BooHoo, BooHoo)--Kobe Bryant admits to commiting adultery by having sex with the victim, but states he has broken no laws.

The DA now releases the 911 tapes and the pictures taken at the hospital of a banged up girl with numerous bruises and torn clothing.

STEP 2 --(the Mike Tyson Defense, I like my sex rough) Kobe Bryant admits he likes beating and slapping around bitches he sleeps with, but states he has broken no laws as the beatings were consentual.

The DA now puts a deal on the Table. A minor domestic violence charge resulting in no jail time, a fine, probation, and Kobe has to seek counseling for "Anger Management"

STEP 3 --(The Public Apology)--Kobe Bryant goes before the judge to pleed guilty to the Domestic Violence charge and admits to raping the little girl and apologies to her and his fans for his mistake.

The Result: Kobe Bryant back in a Laker Unmiform and another NBA player with a Domestic Violence charge on his rap sheet.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:19 AM   #10
TroyF
Coordinator

The one thing that I've really had a problem with is all of the people saying she's just doing this for the money. If she's fabricating her story, the ONLY way she could have gotten money is to have blackmailed Kobe BEFORE she pressed charges.

Prosecuting this to its full conclusion, she now has to get a conviction to have any reasonable chance in a civil trial. She'll also have to come up with some MAJOR attorney fees in order to challenge Bryant is that lawsuit.

She'll get some publicity out of this. Almost all of it will be negative publicity. She'll get to go on the stand and admit she made a poor judgement in going back to his room in the first place.

It's much more likely that she slept with him, regretted it and then filed the rape charge than that she was after Kobe's millions IMO. None of us know the facts yet, but I think more people have ran her name through the media ringer than even Kobe has had to deal with.

If he does turn out to be guilty, she's owed a BIG apology by a lot of people.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:06 AM   #11
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF

If he does turn out to be guilty, she's owed a BIG apology by a lot of people.

TroyF

If Kobe's guilty, many people will cease to support him. We'll know the facts soon enough...and if the girl is embellishing on this...and has filed charges because she was sad or bummed about this...well, I hope he files a defamation of character suit against her and puts her into bankruptcy.

BTW, I don't think it was a surprise that they hooked up...as a matter of fact, I think it was a given:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...threadid=11130
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:48 AM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

Now we wait to find if it was consensual or was it a case of "I'm done, get out"
Old 07-19-2003, 11:58 AM   #13
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Now we wait to find if it was consensual or was it a case of "I'm done, get out"

"But I thought you loved me!"

The numerous 911 calls are kinda weird...you have any info on that?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 08:12 PM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708

Or the third possibility that you don't seem to believe could possibly be true. . . he forced himself on her from the start.

I don't WANT it to be true. You cannot assume that one of the two of the above definitions are the only two that exist however. You just can't do it.

As for finding out the facts. . . that's going to take months to determine. It's something we'll probably never know what REALLY happened in there regardless of verdict.

TroyF
Old 07-19-2003, 09:05 PM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

Even if that's the case, what was the reason she went up there to begin with? If it turns out the whole idea of her going up there was for some sort of "action" then the DA would have a hard time figuring out how to prove that she wasn't going up there for a quickie to begin with.

But I agree, I dont think we'll even know or be totally sure of what happened up there, even after the decision
Old 07-19-2003, 09:12 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TroyF -- I think you've hit on something here, I don't think the "truth" of this one is ever going to be something that's taken as a (close to) absolute.

And based upon some things I've seen posted here & elsewhere, I believe there's a significant number of people who simply aren't going to believe Bryant did anything wrong no matter what a jury says.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:08 PM   #17
MrBug708
Head Coach

Jon, so much for Innocent until proven guilty eh?
Old 07-20-2003, 12:15 AM   #18
TroyF
Coordinator

Mr Bug,

No, it's the fact that many of the Kobe supporters already have made up their minds. We've already seen a thread of this nonsense started here. Your comments above indicate you don't feel that Kobe forced himself on her. You feel that there are two possibilities: Either she's lying and it was all consensual or Kobe said "I'm done, get out" That's the only two you've layed out.

While we should believe innocence before guilt, that goes both ways. We shouldn't assume she's only in it for the money. We shouldn't assume that she's hell bent on making millions for herself and destroying Kobe Bryant. What about her innocence before guilt? What about the fact that many have convicted her of being a money grubbing bitch without any evidence to prove it?

The two scenarios you layed out BOTH put her squarely in the wrong. Until I see some evidence of why she'd have made a false rape accusation, I'm not going to assume her motives.

As I said above, I doubt we'll ever know the complete truth. Our court system isn't like a Perry Mason episode. She's not going to crack on the stand and admit she made it up. Kobe isn't going to take the stand and admit he raped her. At the end of the trial all we'll have are more opinions.

The twelve opinions who count the most will make the call on Kobe's future. I pray they reach the just verdict. If that makes Kobe a convicted rapist, so be it. If it is that there was not enough evidence to prove rape, that's good too. If it is a 99% certainty he didn't do it, great.

The pre judging going on from both sides in this makes me sick to my stomach. The people who say they hope Kobe is guilty are idiots. The people who assume that this girl is lying because, well, she's a girl and Kobe's rich. . . are every bit as bad.

TroyF
Old 07-20-2003, 12:46 AM   #19
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Well said, Troy.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:51 AM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
No, it's the fact that many of the Kobe supporters already have made up their minds. We've already seen a thread of this nonsense started here. Your comments above indicate you don't feel that Kobe forced himself on her. You feel that there are two possibilities: Either she's lying and it was all consensual or Kobe said "I'm done, get out" That's the only two you've layed out.

I never once stated that these are the only two senarios that must be true. Sure, I'm inclinded to believe Kobe, but I'm also a Laker fan. That being said, the work he does for the Lakers and the community are a bonus for the Angelino's that are familiar with him. You seem to know the West Coast sports pretty well so I won't disagree wholeheartedly

Quote:
While we should believe innocence before guilt, that goes both ways. We shouldn't assume she's only in it for the money. We shouldn't assume that she's hell bent on making millions for herself and destroying Kobe Bryant. What about her innocence before guilt? What about the fact that many have convicted her of being a money grubbing bitch without any evidence to prove it?

If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe I've ever called her a money grubbign whore, nor have I insinuated that she was. It is my belief that she went up knowing the possibility of what could happen, IE young, rich, superstar alone in his room. I don't know any details, like the rest of us, but probably after the nasty had done, he probably told her to get lost, my knee hurts, I'm going to bed. Scorned Lover. But I will say again, I have nothing to prove this and it's just my gut feeling. Like a columnist wrote, he should just pay for a stripper. It's legal and anything that happens, happens.

The two scenarios you layed out BOTH put her squarely in the wrong. Until I see some evidence of why she'd have made a false rape accusation, I'm not going to assume her motives.

Have they put her in the wrong? Or put the accused in the right? I dont mean for this to look negatively on her, but when someone is exonerated in a case, there is some doubt on the person who lost. My belief is that Kobe is innocent. Innocent until proven guilty is how it is works in this country and Kobe is innocent at this point. Sad to say is that both parties name will probably be dragged through the mud in this case

As I said above, I doubt we'll ever know the complete truth. Our court system isn't like a Perry Mason episode. She's not going to crack on the stand and admit she made it up. Kobe isn't going to take the stand and admit he raped her. At the end of the trial all we'll have are more opinions.

No doubt. The D.A. knows that it needs a lot of evidence in a he said, she said case, which means they probably have a lot of evidence for the case. The D.A. has a tough case, but I think they are sure of their evidence. This is too high of a profile case that they know they can't blow it because most of it is in the public opinion court.

The twelve opinions who count the most will make the call on Kobe's future. I pray they reach the just verdict. If that makes Kobe a convicted rapist, so be it. If it is that there was not enough evidence to prove rape, that's good too. If it is a 99% certainty he didn't do it, great.

Like Leno said, Kobe needs a pretty good forum to make his plea with a 100% certainly. Staples Center is about the safest place for Kobe right now. However, there are a lot worse places for Kobe to be, namely Texas, NorCal, and Oregon. Hopefully everything comes out 100% in the truth, even if it means Kobe becomes a registered sex offender

The pre judging going on from both sides in this makes me sick to my stomach. The people who say they hope Kobe is guilty are idiots. The people who assume that this girl is lying because, well, she's a girl and Kobe's rich. . . are every bit as bad.

Indeed.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:53 AM   #21
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dola,

Sorry about the switch from quote to bold.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:11 AM   #22
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
The one thing that I've really had a problem with is all of the people saying she's just doing this for the money. If she's fabricating her story, the ONLY way she could have gotten money is to have blackmailed Kobe BEFORE she pressed charges.

Prosecuting this to its full conclusion, she now has to get a conviction to have any reasonable chance in a civil trial. She'll also have to come up with some MAJOR attorney fees in order to challenge Bryant is that lawsuit.

TroyF

I agree with most of what you have said about this case, except this. She had to try to persecute him criminally to have any shot at a civil case, but she doesn't need a conviction to make him pay. Just ask O.J.

She'll also not have to pay an attorney zilch, as there are most likely civil attorneys lined up from Colorado to New York who would love to take this case just for a possibility of a piece of the action.

The fact is, because he is a rich basketball star guarantees him a good shot at justice in the criminal court. It means he'll have the best lawyers, the judge working in his best interest and the court of public opinion squarely on his side (since he is a popular "good guy" star). Yet, all of that works against him in a civil case, where juries are much more likely not to sympathize with the rich guy over the not so rich girl (this of course assumes she is not a rich girl, which she might be well off and would make the whole money-grubbing idea very suspect).

I doubt the truth will ever come out, barring some kind of major smoking gun here (like severe bruises with his hand print on places that would not be deemed sexual).

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-20-2003 at 03:12 AM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:51 AM   #23
Taur
High School Varsity

It is always those 3 letter words that people have trouble understanding.

Bill Clinton did not know the meaning to the word sex.

Kobe Bryant did not know the meaning to the word tip.

After making a special trip for Kobe Bryant after the Resorts kitchen had closed; The girl asked Kobe for a big tip so Kobe tried to give her his big tip.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:12 AM   #24
MrBug708
Head Coach

The girl was off duty when she went up to his room
Old 07-20-2003, 10:19 AM   #25
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Kobe said what he's had to up till this point.

Anyone remember the Jerome Bettis case last year?
Old 07-21-2003, 12:29 AM   #26
MrBug708
Head Coach

Looks like we didn't need to sling mud. The girl's friend was the one slinging mud now.