Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Bernard Evans: Man on a Mission

Home grown Bernard Evans had an off year in 76, his contract year and follow-up campaign to his MVP 75 season, and ended up signing a not-very-lucrative 3 year, 1.275 million dollar deal. At 425k for 1977, was there a better value in the league?

66.6 VORP, 24 HR and 111 RBI. .935 OPS. 9 errors in 782 chances in the field.

Admittedly, Waller had a higher VORP for me, but he is making twice as much per year as Evans.

I believe Evans should get significant consideration for another MVP.

TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You had a hell of a team this year offensively. I was impressed all year with the way your boys were hitting the ball.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
Home grown Bernard Evans had an off year in 76, his contract year and follow-up campaign to his MVP 75 season, and ended up signing a not-very-lucrative 3 year, 1.275 million dollar deal. At 425k for 1977, was there a better value in the league?

Admittedly, Waller had a higher VORP for me, but he is making twice as much per year as Evans.

Evans did have a great year and should definitely be in the mix for MVP along with a few of my guys too.. I think Waller had a better year though and probably deserves the MVP.

As for best value, yes Evans is quite the value, but speaking from a value perspective, you had another player on your team that provided even better value than Evans in Catcher Chris Newman (ironically the catcher I was trying to talk to you about in trades and tried getting in the offseason!)

Speaking from a value perspective, the top two values in the league are DH Ed Morgan and CF Alan Poole (grr) of Compton, simply because both are superstars that are paid minimum salary.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Yeah, the Newman move worked out great for me. Robinson's departure cleared the way for me to move Newman up all the way from A.

He doesn't feel as valuable as Evans though, sure VORP per dollar he might be but he was bottom of the order fodder and didn't cross the plate much (although his 82 RBI are pretty nice).
Old 09-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Other than Newman not even realizing that you get a free walk with 4 balls out of the strikezone, he got on base a good amount. His not scoring many runs probably speaks more about who hit behind him than his hitting himself.

Since Newman never played higher than A-ball in the minors, it is tough to determine if this is a sign of more to come or just a season where he played well over his head.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post

Buy Mr. Evans a coffee (because on his salary, he can't afford to himself!)
Old 09-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
muns
Pro Starter

This is kinda off the beaten path here a bit, but i like what you have done with that team Tim. You have rebuilt yourself without actually going into complete rebuild mode like I had to do. Thats pretty damn impressive, especially in that league with all those quality GM'S. Keep it up!!!!
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Evans win back to back MVPs. In the end, the voters felt that Evans overall contributions offensively were more impressive than what the rookie Waller had done to warrant the award.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote