Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

Did this teacher cross the line?

Sort of relevant to the Guns question.

FOXNews.com - Professor Takes Heat for Calling Cops on Student Who Discussed Guns in Class - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Long story short: Student gives topic on students carrying guns, teacher calls cops, cops investigate whether or not student has guns on campus.

Should this teacher get in trouble? Or just being a dick?

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

If the teacher believed there was any level of risk, why not call it in?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I would need to know why the teacher thought there was some risk. On the surface it sure smacks of a knee-jerk reaction ("Hey, the kid likes guns, we need to do something about that!"), but there is zero info on the reason for calling the police. We'd need to know the details of the presentation before making a judgement. I could see the teacher being a left-wing commie liberal nutjob (like some I've run into) trying to crush gun rights wherever they are found, and I could also see the student giving a right-wing neo-nazi "Kill 'em all, let god sort them out" presentation. Until I know which is the case, I can't really comment.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Jebus Thrist. That teacher needs to get a life, I hope she is fired for her stupidity.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Groundhog
Coordinator

Imagine the headlines if a kid discussed guns in class, teacher didn't call the cops, and the kid then shoots somebody. If I were a teacher in the States, i'd probably do the same, to protect my own ass if nothing else.

Last edited by Groundhog : 03-04-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Imagine the headlines if a kid discussed guns in class, teacher didn't call the cops, and the kid then shoots somebody. If I were a teacher in the States, i'd probably do the same, to protect my own ass if nothing else.

Unfortunately, my first thought as well

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it seemed like a CYA move to me as well.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
SFL Cat
College Starter

Sad statement on life today.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Sad statement on life today.

It is but I also see the teachers POV given limited information, like Groundhog said, imagine the backlash if something had happened.

What I don't understand is didn't the professor or a TA know what the presentation topic was?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont think there would be any backlash. I mean, why would there be? If it was that much of a threat though, I hope he got an A
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

On the face of it, it seems an overzealous move by the professor. I suspect there has to be more to the story than just the bare facts that article gives.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
King of New York
High School Varsity

Without hearing the actual presentation, it's hard to know who was right and who was wrong. If the student made the case in a calm, rational, non-intimidating way, then the professor (and the campus police) overreacted. If the student's behavior during the presentation was not calm or rational, then the professor and the police did the right thing.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'd have to hear the presentation too to make a judgment. But I don't think you can ever be too cautious about these incidents. I will say that if I was a parent, I would rather the teacher be overly cautious. Perhaps the best solution would be to have the teacher contact the Dean and ask for their opinion on the matter before calling the cops.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Without hearing the actual presentation, it's hard to know who was right and who was wrong. If the student made the case in a calm, rational, non-intimidating way, then the professor (and the campus police) overreacted. If the student's behavior during the presentation was not calm or rational, then the professor and the police did the right thing.

Even a calm, rational speech could raise issues. What if the student said something along the lines of, " I have guns and in a situation like VaTech I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself." Hearing that it would be rational to assume the student had a gun on campus and assuming that the only proper response would be to involve the police.

At the end of the day I don't get the outrage. The cops checked him out, found nothing wrong and moved on. Isn't that the best scenario here?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It sure sounds like one of those dastardly liberals trying to thwart the rights of law abiding gun owners!

The article is missing alot of details. I suspect there's a reason for that. Or it could just be shoddy journalism.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
It sure sounds like one of those dastardly liberals trying to thwart the rights of law abiding gun owners!

The article is missing alot of details. I suspect there's a reason for that. Or it could just be shoddy journalism.

(I thought that since this report was from Fox News, that shoddy journalism would be the reason for that )

SI

Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Must be a slow news day if we are reporting on something from October. And in other news, John Bell accepted the Whig Party's nomination for President.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Agreed. This is the age we live in, he has to make the call really.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #19
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I don't really see the issue here. Professor thinks there's a cause to call police. Police check it out, decide there's no problem. THAT'S WHAT THEY DO. No one was arrested. Why is this a problem?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Must be a slow news day if we are reporting on something from October. And in other news, John Bell accepted the Whig Party's nomination for President.

Again, crack Fox News reporting

SI

Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

And where is the Whig party now? Have not heard a peep out of them.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #22
watravaler
High School JV

As other have said, without information regarding the presentation/student, I can't really call the move good or bad.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #23
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I don't really see the issue here. Professor thinks there's a cause to call police. Police check it out, decide there's no problem. THAT'S WHAT THEY DO. No one was arrested. Why is this a problem?

Shhhhhhh. There are NRA donations at stake here.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #24
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
If the teacher believed there was any level of risk, why not call it in?

Because that's stupid.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #25
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

As a high school teacher I would have NOT called the cops for the primary reason that it would be breaking the chain of command. If you have an suspicion of a student being abused at home, doing drugs, carrying a gun, etc, you have to tell the student's counselor and the vice principal. Its their decision whether or not cops should be involved.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

At the collegiate level things work differently. My Department Chair, Division Chair and eventually Dean would encourage me to handle these problems without needing to involve others. The Chain of Command is much weaker at many colleges.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #27
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
As a high school teacher I would have NOT called the cops for the primary reason that it would be breaking the chain of command. If you have an suspicion of a student being abused at home, doing drugs, carrying a gun, etc, you have to tell the student's counselor and the vice principal. Its their decision whether or not cops should be involved.

Not in KY., it's required (BY LAW) I either call a police hotline, or a state level hotline. Then I report it to an administrator.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 03-05-2009 at 05:34 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #28
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Not in KY., it's required (BY LAW) I either call a police hotline, or a state level hotline. Then I report it to an administrator.

Ditto Illinois Cougar. We hare mandated reporters and therefore have to go to the proper legal authorities. Technically, we never even really have to tell our administrators but it does help.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #29
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Ditto Illinois Cougar. We hare mandated reporters and therefore have to go to the proper legal authorities. Technically, we never even really have to tell our administrators but it does help.

And boy........is it a boatload of fun. This summer, one of my soccer players told me her b/f hit her (and I confirmed HIT, not playing around or anything else). I reported it. The next day, after practice, I had the girl, the boy, and both sets of parents threatening everything from my job, to suing me. Of course, the girl denied she ever told me that, and the girl's mother told me "her daughter doesn't lie". I let them say their bit, then informed them of the law, told them why would I make something like this up, it's more of a pain in the ass for me than anything, then told them they could have my job if they really wanted it. They didn't take me up on my offer. I was glad that I had told an administrator about it, and his answer when I told him of the confrontation was he'd make sure the state did a full blown investigation of the parents and the kids relationship if they pursued anything against me. Sometimes I hate my job garbage I have to put up with. I'll tell you this, I'm not coaching next year.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #30
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
And where is the Whig party now? Have not heard a peep out of them.

The Modern Whig Party

So pretty much nowhere.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #31
RendeR
Coordinator

I think the problem we have here is piss poor journalism. There are not enough facts for anyone to discern the real situation in this case.

If the teacher had a valid reason to believe the kid had a gun or guns on his person or on campus then she did what she had to do. But if she was just freaked out by the topic of his presentation then she needs to pull that log out of her ass and then dig around for her head.

Calling the POLICE on a student is a very big deal. Unless you have some real evidence that the student has crossed that line you simply can't go there.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #32
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
The Modern Whig Party

So pretty much nowhere.

Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Whig Party
We represent moderate voters from all walks of life who cherry-pick between traditional Democratic and Republican ideals in what has been called the Modern Whig Philosophy.

So..you pretty much stand for nothing? Got it.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And then on the other hand, there's this charming story from the Atlanta suburbs today.
Woodstock High students return after gun scare | ajc.com

In this case it was the parents of one of the kids involved who called police to start the investigation but here's what they recovered from the boys.

Hidden in a school restroom

And here's what they picked up from a suspect's home a short time later

Granted, the pistol looks like it might have been as dangerous to the user as to any targets but damn.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-06-2009 at 10:51 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #34
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Awesome.

So..you pretty much stand for nothing? Got it.

"As such, these new members are seeking a viable political home where they can find common ground with moderate Democrats in a manner where common-sense and rational thought trump ideology."

No wonder they can never get anybody elected - they are relying on common sense and rational thought. Don't they know that politics doesn't recognize either of those traits.

Last edited by dwardzala : 03-06-2009 at 06:42 PM.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote