Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Your favorite items/brands of great value

Man, do I love a good value. Even more, I hate it when I spend premium-type monies on something that presents itself as a premium-type product, which turns out to be crap. Remember in the '80s/'90s when everybody would buy Honda and Sony simply because you knew you were going to get a quality product for a decent price? Unfortunately, those brands have (in my opinion) since moved out of the land of value.

I have a few favorite brands/products that I pimp to everybody I know, but I wanna know MORE, I wanna know your favorites, I wanna make sure that whenever I spend my cash I'm never just paying for hype or packaging.

Some favorites of mine, off the top of my head:

Sennheiser Headphones
: Great quality headphones at more than decent prices. Not much to say other than that. They also offer high-end, high-cost options, but even many of their cheaper models outperform similar headphones that can cost 2-10 times as much. I have a pair of HD 202s that I love.

Forschner Knives: Good culinary knives can cost truly ridiculous prices, and most cheap knives, as well as many expensive knives, perform just as ridiculously. Forschner knives are made by the folks who make Swiss Army knives, and they save cost by using inexpensive (but durable) materials to construct the handles, while keeping the blades absolutely top quality. You can get most Forschner knives for near or below $20 a pop, which is less than half of what you'd pay for even the cheapest (real) Henckel.

Frank's Red Hot: I loves me some hot sauce, and I spent years and years trying to find the perfect stuff. With hot sauce, it seems that the more you spend, the fancier it's supposed to be, that the weaker the taste gets, and the more it just becomes hot vinegar. At some point I just bought a bottle of Franks for like 90 cents or whatever, and came to the realization that it kicks the crap out of ANYTHING else on the market.

Old Navy: Certainly, it's anything but 'cool' to admit you're an old navy whore, but oh boy am I ever. I've bought a bunch of clothes at Old Navy that just flat suck, and often their materials betray their cost with how they shrink, wrinkle, and rip, and going into that shiny,vapid place always seems like it costs a few brain cells...but I'll be damned if it ain't cheap! And some of that stuff IS awesome, and there is always something on sale on the website (which also keeps me out of the mall). For example, I've got a couple pair of jeans from Old Navy which I love, that cost under $10 a pop....I can barely EAT for under $10 these days.

so.....tell me some.

thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I like shopping at places like Marshall's and TJ Max for quite a few things. Great bargains. The stores are almost always a chaotic mess, but if you spend a little time there, you can find decent stuff.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Right off the top I'd say Uniden cordless phones. I have had nothing but good luck with them. The only reason that I've bought new ones is for the new frequencies and features, not because the old ones have gone bad.

Last edited by weegeebored : 03-08-2009 at 10:50 PM.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm big on generic cereals and soft drinks from Kroger's (a grocery chain that is not national, I believe). The generic Special K w/ Berries, Honey Bunches of O's, and Crispy Raisin Bran are all really good and literally half the price. The equivalant Diet Mtn Dew and Sunkist (which unlike actual Sunkist, does not have caffeine) are as good as the real thing, IMO.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

Anything Sony.

Dell computers.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm big on generic cereals and soft drinks from Kroger's (a grocery chain that is not national, I believe).

Kroger is national, but not always under the Kroger name. Kroger owns Dillon's, King Soopers, City Market, Fred Meyer, Ralph's, Fry's, Smith's, Baker's, and Food 4 Less. Kroger is absent from the Northeast, some of the Southeast, and some of the Upper Plains states, but is just about everywhere else.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As for hot sauce, I'm going in another direction. I love Cholula, spicier and a better taste than Franks. Of course, though I use Franks for my wings.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Sennheiser Headphones
: Great quality headphones at more than decent prices. Not much to say other than that. They also offer high-end, high-cost options, but even many of their cheaper models outperform similar headphones that can cost 2-10 times as much. I have a pair of HD 202s that I love.

Seconded. I paid $25 for mine and I like them better than any I've ever had and they are better than a lot of I've used that are $100+
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
KWhit
Coordinator

2 words:

Trader Joes.

Best food value for the money by a long shot, IMO.

And their chep or medium price beer/wine selection is outstanding.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Thirded. I just got a pair of Sennheiser headphones from lurker for my birthday and they're awesome. She may have dropped the ball (or 1/4 of the ball) on IWS, but she picked up the slack there!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
lungs
Pro Rookie

Basic cigarettes, grizzly dip
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Thirded. I just got a pair of Sennheiser headphones from lurker for my birthday and they're awesome. She may have dropped the ball (or 1/4 of the ball) on IWS, but she picked up the slack there!

This spurred me to take the headphones off my head and glance at the label and surprise, surprise mine are Sennheiser too! I paid no attention to the brand, but I've been very happy with them.

I like this thread but nothing's coming to mind at the moment.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
2 words:

Trader Joes.

Best food value for the money by a long shot, IMO.

And their chep or medium price beer/wine selection is outstanding.

Finds or recommendations of things at Trader Joe's may deserve its own thread. I feel like spending $100 there gets me at least $150 worth of food, if I were to go to a Kroger/Ralph's/Albertson's type grocery store.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Aldi's.

I don't buy everything there, but most of their food is really cheap and tastes good

Big Lots

Usually hit or miss. i have scored some good deals on several things before. They usually have cheap energy drinks and good deals on stuff like olive oil.

Ollie's

A lot like big lots, but they have carpet and flooring for cheap too. I think this one is regional to PA too. Lots of random stuff. I think they do buyouts of other chains.

Ikea

Bought a lot of stuff there. Some of it was shit, but a really good value on what wasnt
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

We like most of the Kirkland items that we have bought from Costco. In particular, we like buying our meat in bulk there and cutting it up and freezing it.. nothing beats their slab o' ribeye for usually $4.79 a lb compared to $8+ that I've seen in regular grocery stores.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
DanGarion
Coordinator

Red Wing boots, the best shoes in the world. USA made and comfortable as hell.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I like shopping at places like Marshall's and TJ Max for quite a few things. Great bargains. The stores are almost always a chaotic mess, but if you spend a little time there, you can find decent stuff.

Seconded on TJ Maxx. I mean, you'll have to scour and it really depends on the time of year. But it's fun of win.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #18
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not much of a "brand" guy but two that stick out:

Oakley Sunglasses they are not cheap but damn the quality is unmatched still

Klein Tools for electrical tools they are top shelf
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I second the Kirkland's brand stuff from Costco.

For sunglasses, I've become a Maui Jim convert.

For computer motherboards, all I've bought the past 10+ years have been Asus.

For my camping gear, I've been sold on The North Face since the late 80's. Anytime I've had an issue with any of their gear or clothing, it was always either repaired to better than new, or given a full replacement, no matter how much use and abuse the stuff got.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #20
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The Great Value Alfredo Sauce from Walmart is very surprising good.

Asics running shoes are the best by far. Although New Balances last longer, they aren't as light and feel clonky.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #21
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Marshall's. I've never found every day clothing there that I like (although I've gotten some dress shirts there for any time I've needed them), but the shoes they have are awesome and cheap as hell.

I've gotten my last five pairs of shoes there. I got a pair of nice brown sneakers for $7, Puma's for $25, Reebok's for $20. It's really nice not spending $50 on shoes.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
The Great Value Alfredo Sauce from Walmart is very surprising good.

Asics running shoes are the best by far. Although New Balances last longer, they aren't as light and feel clonky.

That Alfredo is really good.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:53 AM   #23
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Aldi's.

I don't buy everything there, but most of their food is really cheap and tastes good

Turns out we have one of those up here, but I've never set foot in the place. I'll have to check it out.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Turns out we have one of those up here, but I've never set foot in the place. I'll have to check it out.

The one in Lawrence had some weird stuff for a while- had to use cash, bring your own bags- that sort of thing- but I think they relented after a while. I'd have gone more except it wasn't in a convenient location for us.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #25
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The one in Lawrence had some weird stuff for a while- had to use cash, bring your own bags- that sort of thing- but I think they relented after a while. I'd have gone more except it wasn't in a convenient location for us.

SI

here, you still bring your own bags or purchase them instore. You can use a debit/check card but not credit cards at Aldi's. and nearly everything is off brand but still pretty good.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #26
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Not always cheap, but Toshiba electronics have never steered me wrong. We currently have two laptops, a TV and no problems. My last Toshiba TV lasted like 9 years w/o a single problem. I bought a different brand 'cause it was cheaper and it was in the shop twice in three months. Traded it in for a Toshiba and no problems since [/jinx]
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Oakley's are durable as hell. I have a pair of prescription O's that are 9-10 years old and the only thing different than the day i got them is a lil scratching on the plastic frame. Given I keep them in their semi-hard glasses case all the time...but still
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #28
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
here, you still bring your own bags or purchase them instore. You can use a debit/check card but not credit cards at Aldi's. and nearly everything is off brand but still pretty good.

That probably explains the prices. I was out in that part of town today and peeked my head in the door.

Smallest grocery store I've ever been to, but a decent selection, and strawberries $1/lb cheaper than what my parents pay in California, which blows my mind.

Too far out of the way to go on a regular basis, but that might be my new strawberry HQ.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #29
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I highly recommend bakery outlets. You do have to use the product fast, but when their premium bread and buns generally cost less than half of other places, I can tolerate a bit of waste.

Monoprice.com is fairly well known. If you're in the TV market I highly suggest ordering all your stuff there a week or two before you buy. Don't buy anything from the store other than the TV

I like my onkyo home theater. High value to quality ratio

Geometry Wars on XBL. 5 bucks and I guarantee you'll play it more than most 60 dollar games

Lowes and home depot clearence. I keep a paper in my wallet of all the room dimensions. Just in case you find an odd lot of tile, flooring or moulding. Granted I am still in fixer up status. But I've scored some crazy deals on stuff for projects l will get to eventually. Obviously YMMV. I go by a few times a week.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
That probably explains the prices. I was out in that part of town today and peeked my head in the door.

Smallest grocery store I've ever been to, but a decent selection, and strawberries $1/lb cheaper than what my parents pay in California, which blows my mind.

Too far out of the way to go on a regular basis, but that might be my new strawberry HQ.

As long as you avoid peak times it is great. And stuff is very very YMMV. If you go at certain times of the month and Friday afternoons you'll feel trapped and/or will have more teeth than the nearest 3 people to you combined.

Last edited by stevew : 03-11-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

For the headphones, the sennheisers at sears are being clearenced out. I think its nationwide and about 25 percent off.

Probably still more than online but not bad if you you need some.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #32
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

In the realm of home funishings, I highly recommend these:

Home Goods: I don't know how widespread their franchises are, but they always good cheap home furnishings. Need something to put on the wall in the guest bedroom? Homegoods is the place.

Home Decorators Outlet (Price Cuts Section): The Home Decorators Collection site has a wide selection of good home furnishings at OK value. Their outlet has stuff at good value. But their Price Cut section of their Outlet (especially the 70/80% off category) has stuff at great value. We've bought a few pieces of furniture from them and I was impressed with the quality. (Though my standard of "high quality" basically means real wood as opposed to particle board...)
Old 03-11-2009, 02:29 AM   #33
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
In the realm of home funishings, I highly recommend these:

Home Decorators Outlet (Price Cuts Section): The Home Decorators Collection site has a wide selection of good home furnishings at OK value. Their outlet has stuff at good value. But their Price Cut section of their Outlet (especially the 70/80% off category) has stuff at great value. We've bought a few pieces of furniture from them and I was impressed with the quality. (Though my standard of "high quality" basically means real wood as opposed to particle board...)

Nice....I was in the need of some cheap seating, and found this:

http://www.homedecoratorsoutlet.com/detail.php?parentid=55446&

Which looks like something my grandma might own, but it's super cheap! Good luck finding something resembling a couch for under $200 that isn't made out of lint and cat hair. Thanx for the link, lhk!

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-11-2009 at 02:30 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #34
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I just bought some Martin guitar strings, and I'm am very pleased with them so far. I had some buzzing going on with my previous strings, but now any buzzing that occurs is purely my own fault.

Castillo brand hot sauce is something I came across at Andale's delicious, overpriced restaurant in Los Gatos. It brings a good amount of heat in just a few drops, and doesn't overpower the taste of your food.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #35
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I still buy Sony televisions because I've never had one let me down on reliability or quality yet, I'd also add Heinz baked beans myself
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #36
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I've had great luck with Insignia TVs.. I have two 32" televisions, one is an LCD and I use it as a computer monitor and TV in my apartment. It is seriously perfect for my needs and the quality has been more than I expected. Oh, and they are cheap cheap cheap compared to the "big boys".
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #37
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I just bought some Martin guitar strings, and I'm am very pleased with them so far. I had some buzzing going on with my previous strings, but now any buzzing that occurs is purely my own fault.

i'll second this. i only use martin strings. i'd suggest a set of the silk wound folk strings. i just picked up a set of those and i'm a loving them. they're a little lighter and give me a great sound if i'm using a pick or pretending i know how to fingerpick.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #38
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Grass Point Farms - My choice for milk. Chose to go organic a short while ago because of the taste and overall health. Researched other brands heavily and found out many are only organic in name. Grass Point is real Wisconsin milk and their cows are only grass fed. I was always skeptical about the organic craze, but you can taste a huge difference and these guys are the best.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #39
Izulde
Head Coach

I'll third the TJ Maxx option. As others have said, you have to do some hunting, but you can find great stuff at pretty cheap prices.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #40
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Nice....I was in the need of some cheap seating, and found this:

http://www.homedecoratorsoutlet.com/detail.php?parentid=55446&

Which looks like something my grandma might own, but it's super cheap! Good luck finding something resembling a couch for under $200 that isn't made out of lint and cat hair. Thanx for the link, lhk!

nice couch grandma.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 03-11-2009 at 08:25 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #41
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

needs a clear plastic cover though.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #42
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Grass Point Farms - My choice for milk. Chose to go organic a short while ago because of the taste and overall health. Researched other brands heavily and found out many are only organic in name. Grass Point is real Wisconsin milk and their cows are only grass fed. I was always skeptical about the organic craze, but you can taste a huge difference and these guys are the best.

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Rant.

lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #43
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

As opposed to fake Wisconsin milk?

I haven't seen that brand around here. I've seen Dean's and a few smaller brands, and of the 3-4 I've tried, I prefer Dean's. Not goin' out of my way to *find* a new one, but I'd probably give GPF a shot if I saw them on the shelves.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #44
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Major League Soccer
my season tickets for the New York Red Bulls (15 home games mininmum) are $280 bucks, and i got free parking on early renewal this year ($10 per game usually).

Additionally, playoff games are free to season ticket holders, and any games involving the team are also included free - last year for example a Friendly against Barcelona was free.

Insanely great value if you like soccer, and just a really great overall entertainment bang-for-buck.

----
Other than that I'm not sure what other brand loyalties I really have. I've always had great success with RCA televisions. The first TV that was ever mine still works completely, and it's verging on being 20 years old.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #45
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

When I buy porn I make certain Jenna Jameson is involved (not reall but I just want this thread to be found)
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote