Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2003, 07:20 AM   #1
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

High School Coach blasts on Clarett

All

An interesting article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer this morning http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...2406168390.xml .

They interviewed Maurice Clarett's high school coach and he had some interesting things to say.

Patience getting low on Clarett

08/06/03

Bruce Hooley
Plain Dealer Reporter

Columbus- Maurice Clarett won't appear in Ohio State's official team photograph when it's taken tonight, and his high school coach thinks the volatile sophomore tailback might not be in the picture at all for the Buckeyes this season.

"Everyone has a point where they just can't take it any more," said Thom McDaniels, who coached Clarett at Warren Harding High School and who keeps in touch with his college coach. "[OSU coach] Jimmy [Tressel] is a terribly understanding and tolerant person, but I think he has a saturation point, also. [Tressel] is a better human being than I am, but I have to believe even he is nearing that point."

Tressel was not made available for interviews yesterday when Ohio State's players reported for the start of fall camp.

He sent word through a university spokesman that it would be inaccurate to term Clarett's absence from practice a "suspension" while OSU awaits word from the NCAA on Clarett's eligibility.

Still, Clarett will not attend meetings, off-field workouts, practice or any other team-related activities until the NCAA rules on whether his use of a luxury car that was burglarized on campus in mid-April makes him ineligible to play this season.

Clarett originally reported the theft of $800 in cash, a $5,000 stereo, $4,500 in compact discs, $300 in clothing and one of two television monitors located in the vehicle's head rests.

"He's a victim of circumstances that he created," McDaniels said. "He does not have anybody to blame but himself, in my opinion. I want to continue to support the kid and stand by him, but there comes a point where it becomes pretty hard to defend certain kinds of behavior.

"Lying on a police report? I can't defend that. It's the wrong thing to do. He shouldn't have done it. He's created the set of circumstances that he's not real happy with right now, but who's fault is that? It's his fault."

McDaniels helped to arrange a meeting Sunday night between Clarett and Marcus Allen, several hours after Allen was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The meeting was to take place at a downtown Canton hotel, but Clarett didn't show up.

"Marcus indicated an interest in meeting with the young man, thinking he might be able to say something to help or enlighten him," McDaniels said. "Maurice did not return calls [asking him to explain] his absence. He knew about it, and at first he appeared to be an eager participant."

Clarett has not spoken publicly since the New York Times reported three weeks ago that he told an OSU professor and graduate teaching assistant that tutors wrote term papers for some of his football teammates.

That allegation birthed an on-going investigation into possible academic fraud by athletes at Ohio State.

Athletic Director Andy Geiger, who heads the 10-member faculty panel investigating those charges, did not return phone calls either of the past two days.

Bloomberg News reported yesterday that National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue says Clarett will not be allowed to play in the NFL before he completes three years of college.

Clarett's attorney said the sophomore is considering challenging the NFL's rule that prohibits players from entering the draft until they've played three college seasons or are three years removed from their final high school season. Tagliabue said the rule wouldn't be changed.

"If he becomes ineligible for college ball, he'll still have to wait," Tagliabue said at a production seminar in New York. "He could play in Canada. But he can't play in the NFL at 19 or 20."

The Canadian Football League doesn't have such requirements for U.S. players.

Ohio State made only selected upperclassmen available to reporters yesterday, a departure from past years, when all players were available on reporting day.

Teammates who are known to be closest to Clarett were off limits to reporters.

"I've gotten to know him and he's a good kid," quarterback Craig Krenzel said. "He's a great kid. He has a lot of learning to do, but all of us do."

McDaniels said one lesson he has preached to Clarett has never taken hold.

"I've told him, 'Respect is a two-way street,' " McDaniels said. "Maurice demands everybody respect him, but he is so unwilling and so reluctant to give other people the respect he requires. I think that is the source of his troubles.

"He's highly sensitive to his own feelings and blatantly insensitive to the feelings of other people. At some point, you have to grow up and realize you can't treat people like that."

Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:14 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Re: High School Coach blasts on Clarett

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
McDaniels said one lesson he has preached to Clarett has never taken hold.

"I've told him, 'Respect is a two-way street,' " McDaniels said. "Maurice demands everybody respect him, but he is so unwilling and so reluctant to give other people the respect he requires. I think that is the source of his troubles.

"He's highly sensitive to his own feelings and blatantly insensitive to the feelings of other people. At some point, you have to grow up and realize you can't treat people like that."

I think this is a problem with a lot of athletes, and the reason why most Buckeye fans at this point are pretty frustrated and tired of Clarett's "antics".
Old 08-06-2003, 12:44 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looks like a candidate for one of my "all-jerk" teams in Madden.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #4
cuervo72
Head Coach

Does Madden have an "all-jerk" cheerleading team?
Old 08-06-2003, 12:54 PM   #5
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Does Madden have an "all-jerk" cheerleading team?

I believe you're thinking of the "all-jerkoff" team.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:57 PM   #6
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsimperless
I believe you're thinking of the "all-jerkoff" team.

that would be what I was getting at...
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #7
tucker342
Pro Starter

To think that I used to respect Clarett.... How wrong I was
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote