Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2003, 07:49 PM   #1
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
10 second sound byte from the Democratic Presidential Candidates Forum

"We need to do something about CEOs at the top protecting their pensions while cutting pensions of their workers" (might not be exact quotation.) ~ Congressmen Edwards (D NC)

Do "we" (the federal govt.) need to do something?

Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 12:44 AM   #2
Swaggs
Coordinator

Isn't this the primary difference between the two major parties?

Democrats want to regulate everything and have the federal government foot the responsibility. Unfortunately, the federal government is way too wasteful and inefficient to handle anything like this.

Republicans want to de-regulate everything and put the power back in the hands of local government and the people. Unfortunately, when you put power in the hands of the wrong people, bad things happen to the little man and to the environment.

Last edited by Swaggs : 08-06-2003 at 12:46 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:28 AM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

Swaggs,

In terms of how the parties want to deal with economics and business, yes, that's pretty much it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:29 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow, Swaggs. That's a pretty succinct definition of both without a lot of partisan rhetoric. Tho, instead of the "wrong people", I probably would have said into the hands of a local government who is as inefficient as the federal government and corporations who are out for their own interest. Plus, I would have changed "Unfortunately, the federal government is way too wasteful and inefficient to handle anything like this." to "Unfortunately, the federal government is way too wasteful and inefficient to handle anything".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-06-2003 at 02:32 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:27 AM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
Isn't this the primary difference between the two major parties?

Democrats want to regulate everything and have the federal government foot the responsibility. Unfortunately, the federal government is way too wasteful and inefficient to handle anything like this.

Republicans want to de-regulate everything and put the power back in the hands of local government and the people. Unfortunately, when you put power in the hands of the wrong people, bad things happen to the little man and to the environment.

But there is a subtle influence in the latter quote. The wrong people in power at the local level or wrong business practices can be more influenced by the local voters and by consumers. Want to send a direct message to a business engaging in bad behavior? Stop being their products. The same thing for local government leaders where there are more direct methods of attacking and influence can be had. Obviously once a business or a local government becomes too big to be directly influenced in this manner, then it can be a problem beyond what we can influence. Take that to the extreme and you have the federal government. This was the lesson learned from history when a corrupt Crown tried to run their colonies from afar. That was the basis for limiting the role of the federal government because, we can more directly influence manners, both good and bad, better at the local level.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 05:38 PM   #6
timmynausea
College Starter

I would say that there is a slight amount of bias there.
It has been suggested for years, and is alluded to in your post, that the federal government is totally inept and big government is to blame for most problems. It's known as anti-politics, and I find it interesting that the Republicans have more or less embraced this in their ideology.
I think it would be a generalization to condemn federal actions outright, as many programs and regulations provided by the federal government have been sucessful and useful. I know that you didn't condemn them all, but certainly hinted in that direction.
I do think, however, that the issue John Edwards raises is somewhat insignificant on one hand, and very important on the other. He brings up pensions alone, but the bigger issue of the trend of corporate america continuing to revel in record profits while wages for working Americans haved dropped off (either stagnating or going down) over the past 15-20 years is not far from what he's talking about. As the federal government has made these conditions possible in the name of deregulation (union busting, nafta, etc.), it is interesting to bring up these ideologic definitions.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:36 PM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Want to send a direct message to a business engaging in bad behavior? Stop being their products.

I have never allowed myself to BE a product for a company that I didn't like.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

[grumble]BUYING[/grumble]
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:43 PM   #9
Craptacular
College Starter

What about being the ball Danny?
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote